PewDiePie

sentinel
lady door

Re: PewDiePie

Post by sentinel » Sun May 27, 2018 9:09 pm

jaej wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 6:36 pm
https://www.vice.com/en_uk/article/59q9 ... itch-fails

every time he does something awful i think maybe he'll finally suffer from it but the worse he gets the more 4chan incel losers love him. he literally can't do anything wrong because they eat it up. an article like this just fuels how much they love him for owning those feminazi libtards or whatever reactionary bullshit words they're using this week. fuck this guy fr. sooo bored of awful men knowing exactly how to profit off of other awful alt right men and knowing how to claim they never meant for that to happen
Weird hill Vice has chosen to die on. Pewdiepie didn't attack Alinity because of who she is or what she wore specifically, but because she is the twitch version of reply girls. There are a ton of them on twitch and she can't sell sex while simultaneously decrying anyone who calls her out. While thot is not a nice thing to call anyone, it's calling her a twitch thot is not the same as calling her, say, a slut. If he had said "stupid twitch reply girls" the mental image would have been exactly the same (a.k.a. cleavage in the thumbnail with negative 500 content).

scientia
lady door

Post by scientia » Mon May 28, 2018 4:09 am

jaej wrote:

every time he does something awful i think maybe he'll finally suffer from it but the worse he gets the more 4chan incel losers love him. he literally can't do anything wrong because they eat it up. an article like this just fuels how much they love him for owning those feminazi libtards or whatever reactionary bullshit words they're using this week. fuck this guy fr. sooo bored of awful men knowing exactly how to profit off of other awful alt right men and knowing how to claim they never meant for that to happen
Like, I really like Marzia. On a completely unrelated note (cough), I don't think I could ever be with someone who says some of this shit ~jokingly~ or as part of a brand/image and has done so for years. It just doesn't make sense to me.

MythicalPinkTrashCan
hobbit hair
Pronouns: she/her

Post by MythicalPinkTrashCan » Mon May 28, 2018 5:39 am

sentinel wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 9:09 pm
jaej wrote:

Weird hill Vice has chosen to die on. Pewdiepie didn't attack Alinity because of who she is or what she wore specifically, but because she is the twitch version of reply girls. There are a ton of them on twitch and she can't sell sex while simultaneously decrying anyone who calls her out. While thot is not a nice thing to call anyone, it's calling her a twitch thot is not the same as calling her, say, a slut. If he had said "stupid twitch reply girls" the mental image would have been exactly the same (a.k.a. cleavage in the thumbnail with negative 500 content).
I am not in a place to google it, but isnr “thot” for “that hoe over there”? Was I fed something totally wrong and showing my age? So it’s still slut shaming, but a newer word for it.

But also, yeah. Don’t have any shame in your game Alinity. If I was in a place where I could make money doing what she isn’t doing, shit, I would be all over that.

alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Post by alittledizzy » Mon May 28, 2018 6:14 pm

MythicalPinkTrashCan wrote:
Mon May 28, 2018 5:39 am
sentinel wrote:
Sun May 27, 2018 9:09 pm
jaej wrote:

I am not in a place to google it, but isnr “thot” for “that hoe over there”? Was I fed something totally wrong and showing my age? So it’s still slut shaming, but a newer word for it.

But also, yeah. Don’t have any shame in your game Alinity. If I was in a place where I could make money doing what she isn’t doing, shit, I would be all over that.
You're not wrong about what it means. It's still slut shaming and when used by a man in a situation like that a derogatory insult for a woman based on her appearance and sexual appeal. But that's exactly what I'd expect someone like Felix to go for when he wants to insult a woman.

Katka
morning quiff
Pronouns: they/she

Post by Katka » Tue May 29, 2018 9:37 pm

This is wild because Marzia had a similar "scandal" a few years ago where people slut shamed her for wearing a sheer top. Does Felix think his girlfriend also deserved that harrassment over what she chose to wear? Is Marzia cool with her boyfriend pulling the same thing on another female Youtuber when she was so upset when it happened to her? We might never know.

I think this Alinity quote sums up the situation quite well: "They’re trying to control my body—people telling me how I should dress and how I should act. They’re trying to diminish my value by saying, ‘This is just what you are, and you should get out of here.’" What Felix said wasn't "criticism" but even if it was: What right does he have to criticise a grown woman for what she decides to wear and how she presents herself on camera? This is extra rich from Mr. Nazi Uniform who threw a fit when people told him that maybe he shouldn't have worn that. But criticising women for short skirts and sheer tops that literally hurt no one is totally his right and he gets to tell women it's their own fault when they get harrassed over their clothes. Wild, really.

EDIT: I forgot to say how creepy I think it is that he endorsed someone threatening her with deportation over this. That's so fucked up.
(used to be Birdie)

scientia
lady door

Post by scientia » Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:49 am

Have to admit I'm surprised, and somewhat pleasantly. I hadn't really thought twice about youtubers promoting this site until this video.

Stakhanov
stress mushroom
Pronouns: he / him

Post by Stakhanov » Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:20 pm

I saw that video too and wasn't really surprised, most of Felix' vids are mildly entertaining though not the kind of video's I feel compelled to watch. But occasionally he brings up a good issue and I usually broadly agree with his point of view. I certainly don't think he deserves to be vilified and I'm glad he and Marzia are friendly with Dan and Phil, he seems to be one of the few youtubers they keep some informal ties with.

The company that was getting promoted by so many youtubers is a sad sympton of how the need for mental health care is not being met for so many individuals. These paid plans for online therapy only holds appeal because therapy is just to expensive to afford for many people, so this sells as a cheaper alternative... but it's not necessarily a valid alternative. I'm no expert on the matter, I don't know what science and mental health professionals of these sorts of online forms of counseling and if they have their place within an effective treatment, but the root of the issue is imo that the great need for mental health should be met in a qualitative way and be protected from aggressive commercial exploitation like this.
Perhaps the intentions of the company were good, I have no reason to assume that the youtubers getting paid to promote this had bad intentions either and they probably all thought they could potentially help people in their audience.
But this is dirty reality of making sponsored video's: occasionally a unethical company will get through. So it's good that the people involved reflect on this and it's valid for Felix and others to bring this under attention, because the potential that a scam is getting promoted here that preys on people with a vulnerable mental health is a pretty serious matter.
Some folks are born made to wave the flag
Ooh, they're red, white and blue
And when the band plays "Hail to the chief"
Ooh, they point the cannon at you
It ain't me, it ain't me, I ain't no senator's son
It ain't me, I ain't no fortunate one

alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Post by alittledizzy » Sat Nov 03, 2018 5:10 pm

As much as I try to stay away from things that I just feel negatively about, I gotta take a moment to quietly whisper 'what the fuck' over Ben Shapiro appearing in a Felix video.

If anyone questioned his stance against trans people/trans rights, or at the very least his utter apathy towards the suffering of other humans, this should really lay that question to rest.

flarequake
cat master/boy slave
Pronouns: She/her

Post by flarequake » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:48 pm

I haven't watched videos about Better Help yet, but I heard of it through Beckie (forgotten her full name) and found it was fine, but only talked to one therapist, I wouldn't know more generally.

MythicalPinkTrashCan
hobbit hair

Post by MythicalPinkTrashCan » Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:47 pm

flarequake wrote:
Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:48 pm
I haven't watched videos about Better Help yet, but I heard of it through Beckie (forgotten her full name) and found it was fine, but only talked to one therapist, I wouldn't know more generally.
I haven't watched the videos either, but my husband and I used the marriage counseling sister site of Better Help and we had only had to change once. My biggest problem with BetterHelp/Regain.us was that we could mark "Non-religious counselor" and we would get assigned to a person who had ticked both options. (and then tried to make us pray away our problems wtf) Same with the liberal/conservative option. You gotta pick one susan