PewDiePie

tigertatze
living flop
Pronouns: she/her

nephilimcat wrote:
kuensukki wrote:
All these posts about understanding him and how he is different from his actual pewdiepie persona is shocking to me. To me it seems as if people are trying to justify the things he's said and done and even to a point defend it because he's not all that bad. (this is not an attack to your post Tic (ily) just another interpretation)

When I watched the video he made where he tried to wear a soft color and speak in a soft tone while opening his blue eyes, I knew people would be goners. I knew there would be people popping up saying he didn't deserve this and he was "joe-king". And he achieve that, in a brilliant way, I should add. He took attention away from what he did, told people that it's not everyones cup of tea (hmm didn't know racism was subjective) then used the rest of the video to rant about the media. Honestly, Trumps doing this right now so I see no difference. Was the article utter shit? Yes. Do I think he actually is anti-Semitic, no. I don't agree or support the article nor did I laugh an "evil laugh" because his show got dropped (moreso because people lost their jobs). BUT, his racist slurs would eventually catch up to him, so it did.

I honestly had hoped something like this would have happened sooner where a well respected media outlet exposed his channel for all the slurs, comments, and racism it contained and discussed the negative influence and community he was building. Because that stuff is toxic and very influential. My brother used faggot once because he saw Pewdiepie do it. It's toxic because he is so influential to a group of young boys and girls that are finding themselves and tend to mirror who they watch. Dont tell me after watching deppy you haven't used some of their phrases or their mannerisms. It's proven in psychology that it happen. Yet, Pewdiepie used the word n****r in his video and got away with it. And people justified it by saying he didn't have an intent behind it, but instead was joking. How the fuck do we know that? How do we not know that pewdiepie actively uses that word in his free time, do we know anything more about him then what he chooses to put out, NO. Disney didn't care, they didn't drop him because of it. A white man using that word as a means of being edgy, (despite the horrible history that word has) yet everyone continued living. I thought that atleast then, he would face repercussions, but no, he got away with it scratch free.

He's normalizing these behaviors and saying that it is okay to say those slurs if it's under the guise of being a joke. He's perpetuating a harmful environment. I know and get dark humor, but that is not what he does. And there's a place and time and a line for those things which he has crossed time and time again. It's not being edgy or funny, nor is there a different person behind the pewdiepie mask. He knows what he's doing, he is aware of the slurs (I laughed out loud when someone on here implied that he didn't) yet he continuously supports and actively creates a safe space for those to be racist openly without having to suffer from it. Look through his comments and theyre a mix of trump supporters, people who laugh at slurs and homophobic douches. They all feel comfortable to be as loud and hurtful as they want because he can do it and get away with it.

So yea fuck him. And fuck Disney and Youtube for not calling him out on his bullshit before being dramatic and only acknowledging it when a dumb article that cherry picked the truth was shoved in their faces. It's funny because those who consistently fight for justice and the prevention of racism are now openly supporting him on youtube (cough hank green cough). He will continue to be the way he is because he is untouchable in that sense. Just because he wears a nude sweater and acts emotional in front of a camera doesn't mean he's actually suffering or that he regrets and or even sees the wrong in his statements. It just means that he can manipulate his audience into believing anything he does is okay and the evidence is clear now so yea, he wins in that category.
I don't have much to add, I just wanted to say how much I agree with this

And honestly, if he really isn't an asshole and simply underestimated his influence or didn't care and suddenly starts realising and owning up to his mistakes, then of course people should forgive him and give him a second chance. Until then, I can't wrap my head around the idea of him being actually a good person. He might not be PewDiePie, but PewDiePie is him. And PewDiePie is an asshole, which is all because of Felix' decisions, which doesn't make Felix much better. I hope this makes sense

Agree with all of this except that people should give him a second chance because he's had that second chance and a third and then some so fuck PDP and his bullshit and fuck all those condoning it tbh
#nohetero
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

kuensukki wrote:All these posts about understanding him and how he is different from his actual pewdiepie persona is shocking to me. To me it seems as if people are trying to justify the things he's said and done and even to a point defend it because he's not all that bad. (this is not an attack to your post Tic (ily) just another interpretation)

When I watched the video he made where he tried to wear a soft color and speak in a soft tone while opening his blue eyes, I knew people would be goners. I knew there would be people popping up saying he didn't deserve this and he was "joe-king". And he achieve that, in a brilliant way, I should add. He took attention away from what he did, told people that it's not everyones cup of tea (hmm didn't know racism was subjective) then used the rest of the video to rant about the media. Honestly, Trumps doing this right now so I see no difference. Was the article utter shit? Yes. Do I think he actually is anti-Semitic, no. I don't agree or support the article nor did I laugh an "evil laugh" because his show got dropped (moreso because people lost their jobs). BUT, his racist slurs would eventually catch up to him, so it did.

I honestly had hoped something like this would have happened sooner where a well respected media outlet exposed his channel for all the slurs, comments, and racism it contained and discussed the negative influence and community he was building. Because that stuff is toxic and very influential. My brother used faggot once because he saw Pewdiepie do it. It's toxic because he is so influential to a group of young boys and girls that are finding themselves and tend to mirror who they watch. Dont tell me after watching deppy you haven't used some of their phrases or their mannerisms. It's proven in psychology that it happen. Yet, Pewdiepie used the word n****r in his video and got away with it. And people justified it by saying he didn't have an intent behind it, but instead was joking. How the fuck do we know that? How do we not know that pewdiepie actively uses that word in his free time, do we know anything more about him then what he chooses to put out, NO. Disney didn't care, they didn't drop him because of it. A white man using that word as a means of being edgy, (despite the horrible history that word has) yet everyone continued living. I thought that atleast then, he would face repercussions, but no, he got away with it scratch free.

He's normalizing these behaviors and saying that it is okay to say those slurs if it's under the guise of being a joke. He's perpetuating a harmful environment. I know and get dark humor, but that is not what he does. And there's a place and time and a line for those things which he has crossed time and time again. It's not being edgy or funny, nor is there a different person behind the pewdiepie mask. He knows what he's doing, he is aware of the slurs (I laughed out loud when someone on here implied that he didn't) yet he continuously supports and actively creates a safe space for those to be racist openly without having to suffer from it. Look through his comments and theyre a mix of trump supporters, people who laugh at slurs and homophobic douches. They all feel comfortable to be as loud and hurtful as they want because he can do it and get away with it.

So yea fuck him. And fuck Disney and Youtube for not calling him out on his bullshit before being dramatic and only acknowledging it when a dumb article that cherry picked the truth was shoved in their faces. It's funny because those who consistently fight for justice and the prevention of racism are now openly supporting him on youtube (cough hank green cough). He will continue to be the way he is because he is untouchable in that sense. Just because he wears a nude sweater and acts emotional in front of a camera doesn't mean he's actually suffering or that he regrets and or even sees the wrong in his statements. It just means that he can manipulate his audience into believing anything he does is okay and the evidence is clear now so yea, he wins in that category.
Rising up from my deathbed sickbed to praise this post. The way people are going in on mainstream media (especially other YouTubers) is ridiculous because they're completely missing the point. The article was trash but how on earth did that become the main focus of this debate?

I also never want to hear the excuse 'I don't think he's actually racist' again because guess what.. it doesn't matter at this point anymore. He's a straight rich white male who keeps saying racist shit and who never does anything to disprove that he's racist either. Maybe he isn't racist, but if it looks, walks and quacks like a duck.. let's just say that there's a high possibility of it being a duck. But even if he really weren't racist after all and ~just saying those things~ because his disgusting brand of humor (which doesn't make it much better at all) then he still massively influences kids and teens and actively normalizes this language and behavior for a younger generation. And they see that he keeps getting away with it so it must be 'ok' and they learn that mainstream media is the real enemy instead*. As if that isn't how we ended up with morons who believe Breitbart and everything else on their Facebook feeds.

Society is still trying it's best to let people like Felix come out on top, maybe now more than ever. So yeah, knock him down a few levels and make an example out of him. See that even now he lost his Disney deal and stuff he still got extra subs and views out of it (so extra cash) and many other influential Creators are apparently willing to die on the hill with him. I'd also like to point out that many YouTubers stayed mute before that article and Felix's media trashing 'apology' but now that the focus he shifted they suddenly show their asses. How convenient for them right?

*Not saying mainstream media aren't biased before anyone comes at me with that.

Also totally agree with tigertatze, the guy is far past getting a second chance. He's had about thirty of them over the years, so for how long could we possibly keep this up? And why would we? I predict he won't change his behavior after yet another chance now, in fact he might've found a new moneymaker.

brb gonna continue coughing up my lungs now.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
Birdie
blobfish
Pronouns: they/them

Catallena wrote:Rising up from my deathbed sickbed to praise this post. The way people are going in on mainstream media (especially other YouTubers) is ridiculous because they're completely missing the point. The article was trash but how on earth did that become the main focus of this debate?
I guess it's because it's easier for them to blame The Media than to acknowledge their buddy might have been doing something seriously fucked up for years and they knew and didn't care *cough*. Felix has been doing this for ages himself. Everytime he gets criticised he goes on a rant about The Media trying to tear him down and now everyone is joining in as though there were no grounds for the criticism Felix received at all. The article was shady but the other criticism is valid and has been for years.

That's what bothers me most about Mark's "You need to respect him and his opinions!" stance. As though criticising Felix for what he has done is on par with disrespecting him. As though Felix himself hasn't been disrespecting gay people, people of colour, disabled people and now Jewish people (and probably lots of other people too) for years. Mark, if you wanna teach someone about respect, turn around and talk to your buddy Pewdiepie first, thank you. Also I saw someone on Tumblr say that respect can be lost and has to be earned again and I agree with that. Felix has said and done so many shady things now, he has lost my respect. It's that simple. I do not have to respect people who think disrespecting people like me is a funny joke and neither does anyone else.
nephilimcat wrote:And honestly, if he really isn't an asshole and simply underestimated his influence or didn't care and suddenly starts realising and owning up to his mistakes, then of course people should forgive him and give him a second chance. Until then, I can't wrap my head around the idea of him being actually a good person. He might not be PewDiePie, but PewDiePie is him. And PewDiePie is an asshole, which is all because of Felix' decisions, which doesn't make Felix much better. I hope this makes sense

This, this, this! It makes perfect sense. Maybe behind the camera Felix is a different person from his Youtube persona Pewdiepie. But nobody forced the man to create this offensive, harmful persona. He decided to do that. He is still saying this stuff, he is deciding to say this stuff and whether he does it as Pewdiepie or as Felix doesn't matter at all.

kuensukki: Thank you so much for that post.
kuensukki
janice from the shop

Birdie wrote:
Catallena wrote:Rising up from my deathbed sickbed to praise this post. The way people are going in on mainstream media (especially other YouTubers) is ridiculous because they're completely missing the point. The article was trash but how on earth did that become the main focus of this debate?
I guess it's because it's easier for them to blame The Media than to acknowledge their buddy might have been doing something seriously fucked up for years and they knew and didn't care *cough*. Felix has been doing this for ages himself. Everytime he gets criticised he goes on a rant about The Media trying to tear him down and now everyone is joining in as though there were no grounds for the criticism Felix received at all. The article was shady but the other criticism is valid and has been for years.
The way he dealt with the situation was pure genius. He used the already tense youtube/mainstream media tension and twisted it to his favor therefore giving them all a common enemy. It's what gave people the confidence to voice their support for him and call him brave for fighting the one thing they have all been fighting against. But thats not really the point is it?? He kept mentioning his "war" with the media and even said that he and other fellow youtubers are only acknowledged for their moeny, and boom everyone became brainwashed to focus on this war with the media instead of his faults/slurs. Yes, the media did fuck up in this situation, making an article with intentions of ending him. But, again, it should have been done a while ago. We should have got a well written, thought out article listing all the times he did use slurs and encourage the sort of misogynistic hateful community his "bro army" consists of. (ps: check the comments on the video with deppy and you will find so many gay slurs and insults*
Yaz
tol bean

Pewdipie is the way he is because people are always desperately trying to explain or excuse his behaviours when even he's not bothered to do it himself. He does shit because he knows he can get away with it. He does shit because while some maybe more sensible people who normally don't enjoy this kind of offensive language are trying to excuse him because they feel bad for him, he'll get more and more followers who live to make people uncomfortable. He does shit because he knows he is powerful enough to do it.

If you are the most popular guy at the school, you know you can say hurtful things to other people and still have all the other kids smiling at you and patting your back in the hopes of joinig your table at lunch. If you are the most respected director in Hollywood, you know you can do whatever you want and all the most famous actors will still have your back in the hopes of being the lead in your next movie.

If he somehow lived in a bubble to this age without knowing how hurtful the stuff he keeps on saying can be, I still don't feel bad for him. The guy who makes millions off of internet must surely know how to navigate it well enough to seek some knowledge on it at some point in his life.

And no, I won't respect him or his opinon because I don't understand why do I have to? I also won't respect any other youtubers' opinons on this issue just because I know how different they would be if it was someone like fouseyTUBE and not Felix. I can only respect his right to voice whatever ugly opinion he has but then again he has to respect people's rights to voice their disgust by those words instead of trying to convince everyone we're all in cahoots to take him down because we're just a bunch of sensitive lunatics with a grudge everytime he gets some backlash.
malday
emo goose

wow, people are really attacking him in the comments, and actually accusing him of backstabbing pewdiepie.
pleasehelpme
drama llama

malday wrote:

wow, people are really attacking him in the comments, and actually accusing him of backstabbing pewdiepie.
??? He didn't say anything bad about him tf
Yaz
tol bean

malday wrote:

Yikes! People are calling him all sorts of names and he didn't even said anything bad about the guy. He even defended him about certain things like the article.
This is how people who are bothered to be misunderstood act I think. You can see he genuinely got uncomfortable at the thought that people might take his tweets to Felix as a support of his offensive words and wanted to clearly express himself.

Do I agree with all the things he says in this? No. But kudos to him for having the guts to come out and say he can't agree with Felix but he can still be friends with him. That's what I expected from all his other friends who just chose to dumb themselves down and make the issue seem like something it's not just to be able to defend him.

Also I feel so bad for all the people who lost their jobs including Sean. It's ridiculous to accuse Youtube for it and not Pewdipie though (just to be clear Sean wasn't doing that but people in the comments are).
malday
emo goose

malday wrote:

just wanted to add :

Considering all the 100% blind support for pewdiepie from youtubers, and Mark's bland empty response, this is a really gutsy reply from Sean (i didn't expect it and was pleasantly surprised).

And the backlash he is getting for not being 100% "pewdiepie didn't do anything wrong!!!" (while not actually saying anything bad about Felix) proves how ridiculous the blind following is.
captainspacecoat
stress mushroom

Just wanted to jump in and say kuensukki and Catallena, your posts perfectly summed up everything I feel

I don't understand the argument that pewdiepie is a persona separate from Felix thus we should separate their actions, like ???? They're the same person, pewdiepie does not exist separately from Felix, Felix is in complete control of the person he is in his youtube videos. That's like if I went out of my way to say something racist and then went "no no no guys, that was just my persona, that wasn't me". No one would buy that bullshit and I'd be expected to apologise, and rightly so.

I hate that people are trying to delegitimise very real concerns about anti-semitism as unjustified slander or 'jumping on the outrage bandwagon', people have every right to take issue with what's been said and Disney (a company that creates content for children and has a reputation to uphold) was completely justified in cutting ties with him, regardless of whether he also raises money for charity.
CallMeAyana
cheeky #spon
Pronouns: Phan Trash

kuensukki wrote:All these posts about understanding him and how he is different from his actual pewdiepie persona is shocking to me. To me it seems as if people are trying to justify the things he's said and done and even to a point defend it because he's not all that bad. (this is not an attack to your post Tic (ily) just another interpretation)

This whole post is just so...
That's the thing. Pewdiepie's normalizing this kind of toxic behaviour that it creates such a harmful environment. I can see why some of his friends are defending him, but the problem is... they're defending Felix, not Pewdiepie. He's probably not that bad in person, but he still shouldn't be excused in making a perona like Pewdiepie, so... yeah. (My post is unclear, but... yeah.)
Ticia
suspended
Pronouns: her / she

malday
emo goose

He had made a follow up blog post yesterday right after the video too:
http://therealjacksepticeye.tumblr.com/ ... -follow-up
Ticia wrote:
as if this isn't public pressure on him, but from a different side.
human
dan hand trash

CallMeAyana wrote:

This whole post is just so...
That's the thing. Pewdiepie's normalizing this kind of toxic behaviour that it creates such a harmful environment. I can see why some of his friends are defending him, but the problem is... they're defending Felix, not Pewdiepie. He's probably not that bad in person, but he still shouldn't be excused in making a perona like Pewdiepie, so... yeah. (My post is unclear, but... yeah.)
Yep, pretty much all of this.

It's not that I think he's an evil person, but he needs to understand that he can't just do what he wants and get away with it because he's rich, successful and popular. And the ass-kissing is nauseuating; I was really disappointed to see Jack's response especially. Mark's I was expecting tbh.

The manipulation going on to transfer victim status back to the perpetrator in this situation is absolutely gobsmacking lol.
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

I watched Jack's video last night, agreed with some things and not really with others, but generally thought it was the best and least biased response from a Creator close to Felix so far. But now he's apparently taking it back after totally not being pressured into going the other way so that was a magnificent waste of time apparently.

We really can't have nice things. Only Felix can.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

I find it hard to dislike Felix, but he didn't help himself with that apology video banging on about the media and then sticking his finger up to them. His apology was there and I thought it was sincere, but lost in the mud in the middle. He has a point about the media, his Variety magazine cover had an X sprayed over him, but right now it only serves to not look like an apology at all.

Mark had a point too that painting Felix as all bad is also not respectful, but with the way people are jumping to defend Felix at all costs, also not clear enough I guess.

Jack's video said it plain and clear, and was very refreshing especially when he just called it "stupid" as it is, explained that Felix is a decent person, but still that what he's done is awful. It's crap that he got shit on for not calling out the media enough that he regretted the video. The WSJ did handle it all in very typical media style, but moaning about that got in the way of Felix seeming actually sorry so I thought mentioning it but playing it down was good on Jack's part.
tigertatze
living flop

Ticia wrote:
Just when I was thinking he did good.. :?
#nohetero
Yaz
tol bean

Lol. Spoke too soon I guess. Shame that he couldn't stand by his words, but oh well.

I just don't understand how and when Felix became the poor little victim who is so so sad that he just sits at home sadly and contemplates how sad he is and how bad people are trying to make him even sadder. Everything that he actually did is forgotten and now it's just big bad world against poor little Felix. Must be quiet thrilling to find out how much you can get away with and still remain a victim to the point people can't even say your racist 'humor' is not agreeable for someone like Felix.

Although the way things are does my head in, I guess I have to accept that's how they are and stop making myself angry.
Philena
blobfish

"...in their time of need"??!!!

The fuck did Felix say to him?!?!

Um. Privilege and entitlement. If you're gonna be controversial, have the brains (ha) and the courage to stand up for yourself and accept any and all consequences.
malday
emo goose

this is pretty good objective article (and touches on the humor and it's history for those who are not that familiar with it).

https://www.forbes.com/sites/fruzsinaeo ... df54b86679
Birdie
blobfish

The thing with Jack is so disappointing. Also what kind of dissonance does he have going on there? He got peer pressured into retracting his words but he thinks he was peer pressured before into criticising Felix? It's kind of creepy to me what kind of influence Felix really has. It was so easy for him to make everybody think he was the victim here and no one is even talking about what he did anymore. :? It's really easy to manipulate people when you're somewhat attractive and charismatic apparently.
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

One of my friends who's watched a bit of Deppy, but not Pewds, read something in the Guardian that said he's stood up on stage and said sexist, racist, homophobic and generally fascist things, and is loving all the fascist-group attention bringing him in yet more money. Not looking good to those who don't know who he is.

The Forbes article is good, explains the context pretty well in light of all the dramatic cherrypicking.
malday
emo goose

flarequake well they're not wrong about the attention and money part.
pleasehelpme
drama llama

As much as I don't like Felix I don't think he's that shitty of a person to do that kinda thing I'm not saying I'm legit just imo
thephandommenace
procrastinator

This thread has really opened my eyes to the widespreadness of 4chan humour and normalising of offensive language. It's incredibly serious. I've never been a fan of PDP, yet always thought Felix was an alright guy. But now Felix himself is scary to me. It's scary how much influence he wields and how dangerous his carelessness has turned out to be, and I don't think he's changed how he really feels, judging how he still dodges addressing the problem at large. And I'm worried about Jack retracting his statements and how he phrased those tweets about speaking with Felix. It feels very suspicious and manipulative and I want to know what Felix said to him.

It was interesting to see this thread turn from "I love his idgaf attitude & saying what he really thinks" to "his attack on PC and playing the victim is very reminiscent of Trump". I could definitely see the parallels.

Why don't more people realise the attitude "well, I'm not a racist" isn't enough? It's never been enough.