Jack and Dean

Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

alittledizzy wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:44 am Because I'm a masochist, I listened to this entire podcast with Jack. My opinion of him stands now exactly as it did before; he's a pretentious, smug asshole. A pretty good chunk of it is just him humblebragging about meeting famous people and directing stuff, but I jotted down times of some relevant stuff where he's addressing ~drama.

25:26 - talks about people calling him an asshole on twitter/recent twitter drama over jennifer lawrence
32:09 - talks about making a jab at dan and phil fans
33:40 - emma blackery beef; yes it's real
35:13 - jokes about slitting emma blackery's hamster's throat? ... kay.
40:43 - mentions Chris/crabstickz and Charlie McDonnell
What an insufferablele constipated asshole. All three of these irrelevant white dudes are actually. Bless your masochism dizzy, because I barely even got through the timestamps without the overwhelming desire to clock this asshole right in his ugly face. Especially when he laughs (at his own jokes) he's just the absolute worst.

I'll give commentary on the timestamps tho I feel like dragging someone :ribena:

"I know you haven't developed a proper set of humor yet, but just insulting people isn't a joke" sjohd;ajk omg he feels so above people (mostly people who are fans of things that aren't him or his girlfriend) but lmao sweetie you wouldn't know a joke if it bit you in the ass, even though you existence is a big one.

It's true that the #JackHowardIsOverParty hashtag was bullshit tho. There was never anything about him to be 'over'.

Well the white guys don't see an issue with Jennifer Lawrence so that's it people. These intellectuals have decided that she is just a quirky and not media trained (lol) and as a bonus she's totally their type so we can pack up now. SCREAMING at Jack Howard using his male friendly white feminism to defend JLaw omg he's so full of shit I am deceased. RIP Catallena 2016-2017 :dead:

HAHA I KILLED THE HAMSTER HAHAHA the thing killing me rn is how funny these guys think they are while my face has just been like :-|

Leave Chris and Charlie out of your narrative, they deserve better and can speak for themselves if they feel inclined.

As far as Emma vs. Jack (and Hazel) goes.. #TeamNoOne
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
alch
ar·tic·u·late
Pronouns: she/her

alittledizzy wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:44 am Because I'm a masochist, I listened to this entire podcast with Jack. My opinion of him stands now exactly as it did before; he's a pretentious, smug asshole. A pretty good chunk of it is just him humblebragging about meeting famous people and directing stuff, but I jotted down times of some relevant stuff where he's addressing ~drama.

25:26 - talks about people calling him an asshole on twitter/recent twitter drama over jennifer lawrence
32:09 - talks about making a jab at dan and phil fans
33:40 - emma blackery beef; yes it's real
35:13 - jokes about slitting emma blackery's hamster's throat? ... kay.
40:43 - mentions Chris/crabstickz and Charlie McDonnell
Jack complaining about people thinking it's funny to insult him and then turning around and jokingly saying these people haven't developed a proper sense of humor yet is truly incredible.

That guy in the middle saying he got "so bored" while trying to do research on what's wrong with Jennifer Lawrence really pisses me off (at 26:20). He's not even making an effort to understand people's opinions, but he's still saying they're wrong.
onetruetrash
blobfish

For anyone who wants to see her Instagram story
The_Blonde
living flop

alittledizzy wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:16 amAnyway, the only person I came out of this situation feeling bad for is actually Dean. Dean seems to have been practicing what Jack preaches and just quietly ignoring Emma, so naturally what does Jack do? Make Dean part of that narrative in the podcast. (Plus, he called Dean lazy. I don't even know much about Dean, but I inherently feel like he deserves a better best friend/youtube partner than Jack.)
Exactly! I don't watch them much because I find Jack so utterly insufferable (as everyone here has said more eloquently than me) but their dynamic is so strange to me. I know we're spoilt with DnP, but Jack and Dean don't seem to have that much natural affection for each other, how did they meet? how did they form a duo in the first place? The very little I know of Dean seems to paint him as such a different person from Jack that I can't imagine them having a real friendship, if that makes any melodramatic sense whatsoever.

Also, calling him lazy (in a public podcast no less) is uncalled for. Maybe he just isn't hip enough for someone as pretentious as Jack anymore, who knows? Petition to get Dean a better youtube partner please!
fancybum
senpai

The_Blonde wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 2:36 pm
alittledizzy wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 4:16 amAnyway, the only person I came out of this situation feeling bad for is actually Dean. Dean seems to have been practicing what Jack preaches and just quietly ignoring Emma, so naturally what does Jack do? Make Dean part of that narrative in the podcast. (Plus, he called Dean lazy. I don't even know much about Dean, but I inherently feel like he deserves a better best friend/youtube partner than Jack.)
Exactly! I don't watch them much because I find Jack so utterly insufferable (as everyone here has said more eloquently than me) but their dynamic is so strange to me. I know we're spoilt with DnP, but Jack and Dean don't seem to have that much natural affection for each other, how did they meet? how did they form a duo in the first place? The very little I know of Dean seems to paint him as such a different person from Jack that I can't imagine them having a real friendship, if that makes any melodramatic sense whatsoever.

Also, calling him lazy (in a public podcast no less) is uncalled for. Maybe he just isn't hip enough for someone as pretentious as Jack anymore, who knows? Petition to get Dean a better youtube partner please!
He talks about how they met starting at 43:55 of that podcast, but tl;dr: at school.

I don't really get their friendship, it just seems like a work arrangement at this point. Like listen, I don't know enough about their actual private lives to make too much out of anything, but Dean's been having issues with finding flats/roommates for however long and has been staying with his friend Carlos. Meanwhile Jack/Dan Layton(/Ciaran?idk) have shacked up in the building Hazel/Dodie live in. Maybe it's a location thing, maybe Dean didn't want to stay with them, but I'm curious about whether there were ever any offers to have him stay with them (either temporarily or as an actual roommate, unless it's too expensive for him or something). I don't know, it all just seems sketchy, he doesn't seem as enmeshed in that group outside of work things. Like I'm sure he can be a little shit too and probably rolls his eyes at that kind of twitter drama right along with Jack, but he at least gives more of a shit about ~sjw things (and if not, at least knows when to stfu), and I would attribute that to him not spending every second of his day with only other entitled white people. But I stg if he makes me eat my words..
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me
pearshaped34
morning quiff

How Jack has a fanbase (assuming he does) is beyond me. He is just so unlikeable IMO it's unreal.
That being said I do think Emma came at him at twitter enough times that it can no longer be classed as shady for him to discuss her and their "beef" publicly. If she didn't want it played out in a public forum she should have took her own issues up with him privately.

That being said while I don't really have a problem with him discussing his side of the Emma thing it's so not cool for him to discuss messages Dean sent him privately publicly without Dean's consent (which I'm assuming he doesn't have).
As someone else has already mentioned as long as Dean isn't actually pretending to be super tight with Emma it doesn't make him a snake to not like her but still always be nice and cordial to her when he sees her.

I can think of about a dozen acquaintances I know in real life who I don't like much personality wise that I'd never want to know that because I don't think they are bad people and despite not liking them I wouldn't want to hurt their feelings. If Dean feels that way about Emma it sucks that Jack decided to share his feelings about her for him.
goldenmermaid
drama llama

pearshaped34 wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:02 pm That being said while I don't really have a problem with him discussing his side of the Emma thing it's so not cool for him to discuss messages Dean sent him privately publicly without Dean's consent (which I'm assuming he doesn't have).
As someone else has already mentioned as long as Dean isn't actually pretending to be super tight with Emma it doesn't make him a snake to not like her but still always be nice and cordial to her when he sees her.

I can think of about a dozen acquaintances I know in real life who I don't like much personality wise that I'd never want to know that because I don't think they are bad people and despite not liking them I wouldn't want to hurt their feelings. If Dean feels that way about Emma it sucks that Jack decided to share his feelings about her for him.
Agreed, if I was Dean I would be pissed off, Jacks now put him in an incredibly awkward situation. But honestly I just find Jack so intolerable now I could barely sit through those few minutes of timestamps. Also I love how these three straight white men get to decide whether things completely unrelated to them are offensive or not :roll:
kavat
pastel persona

It seems like Jack and Hazel have broken up. It's always a bit sad when something doesn't work out, but honestly I never saw them as a forever thing. And as they both have history of being nasty on twitter I really hope they both keep it civil online for everyone's sake.
obvsly
#relatable

I'm actually sorry to hear this. I appreciate Hazel's creativity and I thought at least they made each other happy. Obviously not anymore.
lilabet
philussy
Pronouns: She/Her

obvsly wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:48 am I'm actually sorry to hear this. I appreciate Hazel's creativity and I thought at least they made each other happy. Obviously not anymore.
To me they seemed to make each other happy but also bought out each other’s worst traits. Considering Jack was a rebound after Hazel got out of a 5 year relationship this isn’t surprising. Especially since jack moved in with Daniel again rather than Hazel.
Phandom Gives
@phandomgives on social media. Check out the website for the latest information and current donation drive! <3
obvsly
#relatable

lilabet wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:23 pm To me they seemed to make each other happy but also bought out each other’s worst traits.
True. That’s why there’s the “at least” part in my sentence. :mrgreen:
kavat
pastel persona

lilabet wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:23 pm
obvsly wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:48 am I'm actually sorry to hear this. I appreciate Hazel's creativity and I thought at least they made each other happy. Obviously not anymore.
To me they seemed to make each other happy but also bought out each other’s worst traits. Considering Jack was a rebound after Hazel got out of a 5 year relationship this isn’t surprising. Especially since jack moved in with Daniel again rather than Hazel.
I agree that they seemed to bring out the worst in each other, that's kind of why I never thought they would last. They can both be very condescending and elitist. And yeah, Jack continuing to live with Dan instead of moving in with Hazel even after they had been dating for over 1,5 years (i think) was a bit of a tell.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

kavat wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:16 pm
I agree that they seemed to bring out the worst in each other, that's kind of why I never thought they would last. They can both be very condescending and elitist. And yeah, Jack continuing to live with Dan instead of moving in with Hazel even after they had been dating for over 1,5 years (i think) was a bit of a tell.
They do live in the same building though, right? That's gotta be awkward.
kavat
pastel persona

alittledizzy wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:17 pm
kavat wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:16 pm
They do live in the same building though, right? That's gotta be awkward.
They do, and they also seem to share most of their friends. That must be tough for everyone involved .
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

as someone who is actually very 'informed', for lack of a better term (i actually hate that i used that but my brain can't think of anything else right now thanks for exams lol), about that group of friends, i can't imagine how awkward it would be...dan and jack live two floors above them, like there's only one balcony separating them.

going by their tweets from today, it seems that dan was with hazel for quite awhile, which i find interesting since he obviously lives with jack, and i don't really want to assume too much because, of course, i don't know what's going on behind the scenes, but it seems to me like jack must have fucked up really bad? (but what's new tbh).

jack, being a pretentious fuck, always seemed like a sort of strange housemate for dan? don't get me wrong, dan certainly has his moments, but he seems less inclined to follow jack's convenient white feminism, and along with that actually willing to learn from others and be respectful. so i guess from that, this situation reads a jack fucking up (as usual...). though i'm guessing it must have been mutual in some sense..oh well all we can really do is guess

also some info on dean under the cut because i was reading through the tread and a lot of people don't have a ton of info on dean, and as someone who really likes dean and pays attention to him on social media, i thought i would share some of my thoughts on him, and his relationship with jack.
so jack and dean have been friends since they were in-i believe-high school. i don't believe they are best friends like they were when they made the channel as jack seems to be doing quite fine financially (taking trips occasionally, for example), while dean seems to be struggling, or at least he was for awhile a few months back. idk but if i had a best friend who i share a youtube channel with i would make sure both of us are doing good, since it's a joint thing, and we would probably live together or quite near each other. dean explained in a video earlier this year that he hasn't been having a great time with life, and that he was struggling trying to find a place to live, and was staying with his friend Carlos for awhile while he got things sorted. idk if my best friend was struggling like that they would probably be sleeping on my sofa. also dean has collaborated with irl digital to sell his own merch (which deppy have spond, of course haha), which to me says that he wants to do his own thing, and is in need of extra funds, as jack obviously isn't making anything from dean's merch, and doesn't have merch of his own, besides their out of date joint merch shop.

jack and dean don't really interact much besides general friend-like things on twitter and whatnot, and him calling him lazy, as well as basically walking all over him just shows that they can't be best friends anymore. i believe, like a few other people here, that they're business partners now, who also happen to be good friends, but not super goodor best friends. along with that, dean just doesn't really associate himself with jack that much anymore. i thin if it weren't for the audience they already have, and their partnership with fullscreen, which gave them two seasons of a show to air, along with other spons, the jack and dean channel would probably be dead, and they would just be doing their own stuff.

anyway that's the end of my word dump on dean, who i honestly feel bad for because i feel like he's quite underrated, and of course he always plays the idiot in their sketches. oh well, hopefully this was helpful for anyone who wanted to know more about their relationship? idk i'm tired and should be sleeping lol
mermaid blood
Moderator Emeritus

oops sorry guys, when i directed from the main chat last night (to hazel's thread) i didn't realise discussion had already started in here!

thanks for the info, i'm kind of sucked back into the drama. i don't watch any of the members of this friendship group individually, but i know enough about them from collabs and second-hand that the gossip is a guilty pleasure.

they all live in the same apartment block?! geeeeze.
that's really interesting that Dean has seemingly distanced himself from Jack more.
art in avatar by lily
000dia000
emo goose

obsessivelymoody wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 5:51 am
so jack and dean have been friends since they were in-i believe-high school. i don't believe they are best friends like they were when they made the channel as jack seems to be doing quite fine financially (taking trips occasionally, for example), while dean seems to be struggling, or at least he was for awhile a few months back. idk but if i had a best friend who i share a youtube channel with i would make sure both of us are doing good, since it's a joint thing, and we would probably live together or quite near each other. dean explained in a video earlier this year that he hasn't been having a great time with life, and that he was struggling trying to find a place to live, and was staying with his friend Carlos for awhile while he got things sorted. idk if my best friend was struggling like that they would probably be sleeping on my sofa. also dean has collaborated with irl digital to sell his own merch (which deppy have spond, of course haha), which to me says that he wants to do his own thing, and is in need of extra funds, as jack obviously isn't making anything from dean's merch, and doesn't have merch of his own, besides their out of date joint merch shop.

jack and dean don't really interact much besides general friend-like things on twitter and whatnot, and him calling him lazy, as well as basically walking all over him just shows that they can't be best friends anymore. i believe, like a few other people here, that they're business partners now, who also happen to be good friends, but not super goodor best friends. along with that, dean just doesn't really associate himself with jack that much anymore. i thin if it weren't for the audience they already have, and their partnership with fullscreen, which gave them two seasons of a show to air, along with other spons, the jack and dean channel would probably be dead, and they would just be doing their own stuff.

anyway that's the end of my word dump on dean, who i honestly feel bad for because i feel like he's quite underrated, and of course he always plays the idiot in their sketches. oh well, hopefully this was helpful for anyone who wanted to know more about their relationship? idk i'm tired and should be sleeping lol
I'm not really surprised, but that sure does saddens me. I don't watch his content or really follow him at all, but I quite like Dean. He seems like such a sweet guy, a lot nicer than Jack tbh. I do wonder though if they'd like to move on away from each other, or whether they are tied to their own branding? I think Jack has enough basis to maybe do that but I don't know if Dean has much of a brand outside of Jack and Dean? The only thing I know Dean does is make art, like on his merch (I actually really like his art style). I think Dean has probably gotten the Phil treatment though, as the "other guy"
:shrug:
:cactus:
pearshaped34
morning quiff

I think it's fair to say with them unfollowing each other on social media and her announcing the break up online without discussing it with him first that this has not been an amicable split.

Wonder who'll be the first to throw shade online/in a video....
fancybum
senpai

000dia000 wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:27 pm I'm not really surprised, but that sure does saddens me. I don't watch his content or really follow him at all, but I quite like Dean. He seems like such a sweet guy, a lot nicer than Jack tbh. I do wonder though if they'd like to move on away from each other, or whether they are tied to their own branding? I think Jack has enough basis to maybe do that but I don't know if Dean has much of a brand outside of Jack and Dean? The only thing I know Dean does is make art, like on his merch (I actually really like his art style). I think Dean has probably gotten the Phil treatment though, as the "other guy"
:shrug:
They don't seem to have any plans to not work together going forward; since they announced their series wasn't getting another season (probably because Fullscreen is going under, but that was announced later on), they've mentioned working on a movie script and other ideas, but still as a team. Maybe they're not as close as they've been in the past, but I don't think they're only working together out of obligation to branding. Even if they're not best friends, I think they very much value their work together and their working relationship. They just need to find the next Fullscreen to fund their ideas.
pearshaped34 wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:54 pm I think it's fair to say with them unfollowing each other on social media and her announcing the break up online without discussing it with him first that this has not been an amicable split.

Jack Howard wrote:I might be less active for a while as I try to understand and fix things at the very core of myself. Please don’t speculate.
Do you find this comment, about 'fixing' things in himself, telling at all? To me it kind of sounds like taking blame, but maybe it's just another way of saying he needs to 'heal' post-breakup and it's neutral? I can't tell. Ok but. Who will they each be going with? Because in the past it would either have been the two of them, or their friend group. I think how they turn up today could say a lot about how amicably (or not) things ended..
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

I have an intense dislike for both Jack and Hazel because they're pretentious and annoying assholes. They suited each other for that reason, but as time went on they really did bring out the worst in each other. It's probably for the best that they broke up, but if they're in the same friend group and continue to hang out then they're really not gonna change anytime soon imo. The way Jack worded things was interesting to me, it sounded like he was at fault and wanted to reflect on what he did wrong and change for the better. I wonder what shit he pulled... I know they said not to speculate but that's what I'm here for isn't it? :ribena:
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Based on IG story from a few minutes ago, Hazel appears to be walking with Dan Layton to see Star Wars. Didn't spot Jack around anywhere.
pearshaped34
morning quiff

fancybum wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:34 pm
pearshaped34 wrote: Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:54 pm I think it's fair to say with them unfollowing each other on social media and her announcing the break up online without discussing it with him first that this has not been an amicable split.

Jack Howard wrote:I might be less active for a while as I try to understand and fix things at the very core of myself. Please don’t speculate.
Do you find this comment, about 'fixing' things in himself, telling at all? To me it kind of sounds like taking blame, but maybe it's just another way of saying he needs to 'heal' post-breakup and it's neutral? I can't tell.
Oh yeah his response definitely implies (to me anyway) that whatever went down he knows is on him.

Plus while his response makes him sound guilty her attitude gives the opposite impression. She announced it without telling him (not really something you do when you know you've hurt someone) and since then her twitter has been business as usual she's making zero effort to come across sombre in the wake of the break-up.

Mind you Jack has been pretty active on twitter too... maybe he decided it wasn't necessary to less active online to work on the core of himself.
fieldoflovers
living flop

I find it interesting that hazel responded to Dean on twitter today. Also she was at the premiere with dan and tim h so i guess she 'won' the friends in the breakup.

also imo saying please don't speculate just invites speculation.
fancybum
senpai

Hazel’s done nothing wrong.. does it follow that he has then..?
I don’t know dude.. there’s lots of sad gifs available that don't maybe allude to infidelity (if you know what the gif is from which I think most people do). Hmmm.

Yes I do feel gross for bringing it up but not gross enough not to. Am I not supposed to try to connect vague dots over social media??? I’m only human, last I checked.
alien
procrastinator

fancybum wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 7:06 pm Hazel’s done nothing wrong.. does it follow that he has then..?
I don’t know dude.. there’s lots of sad gifs available that don't maybe allude to infidelity (if you know what the gif is from which I think most people do). Hmmm.

Yes I do feel gross for bringing it up but not gross enough not to. Am I not supposed to try to connect vague dots over social media??? I’m only human, last I checked.
I personally have no clue what that gif is from but I think someone like Hazel whose whole life revolves around film probably was very intentional with her choice of gif. I do wish her well, breakups are hard, but I was very :roll: to see this. I get so much second hand embarrassment when grown people are so public with stuff like this lol.