Louise Pentland

flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

I can't quite believe there wasn't already a thread for Louise (I'm sure I just read every thread title properly and didn't miss it).

I'm going to see her live show in London tomorrow afternoon and, late notice, but anyone else going?

Loved her video about how she's been feeling about her channel and what she wants to change and rebrand. I've been a fan for a few years, though not the most avid regular viewer (reserved only for DnP really). I've always found her upbeat cosy videos a lovely place to be and she's inspired a few purchases of eyeshadow palettes and, more importantly, dress-wearing despite not loving my size and shape.

The videos she and Dan have made together are some of my favourite collabs too, the leg-waxing is too funny and that clip of them in the taxi going to the ID concert is you'd think she was about to adopt him.
mysterylovescompany
morning quiff

Louise is on the Gleam Team so I guess that's where people have been talking about her? I am subscribed (since recently) and I like her a lot, even though I haven't watched many of her videos. She has a very funny sense of humour and her videos with her daughter are sweet (not a bit like those 'family vloggers'). She has a good head on her shoulders imho.
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

Good point, I figured that out after I'd posted :facepalm: but hey, she's worthy of her own thread too. Her straight-talking, down-to-earth vibe and her daughter being fairly casually involved are things I like about her too. Really interested to see what different stuff she's planning to do now.
eevee
emo goose

I'm interested in how Gleam feels about her rebrand and if they're on board or not, etc. Also very curious to see if she loses some monetization. What shit timing, huh? I hope everything ends up okay for her
Phil looks like he went to sleep at 6 AM and is dying inside, Dan glows like he spent the night having orgasms - Ticia
human
dan hand trash

Louise I really adore her and I'm SO happy with her rebranding, I've finally subscribed instead of sneakily watching whenever I remember because I finally feel part of her target audience. So excited to see her new, refreshed content.

I kind of wish I was going to her show, I just couldn't find anyone to go with but I'm knackered after a long working week so kinda glad I'm not because I have zero energy. But I think it would be pretty entertaining, she's a real sweetheart.

I also hope this means she is eventually finding better representation than Gleam tbh.
Winston
flower crown
Pronouns: she/her

I love louise! Im so excited about this. I really hope it goes well for her. I was watching her before deppy. Her collabs with mamrie hart were so funny and off brand i hope she does stuff more like that. If you haven't seen them you should look em up and have a watch. :D
actions speak louder than words
Amelie
delia smith

I've been subscribed to Louise for a long time (SprinkleofChatter specifically). I've always loved her vlogging style because she has a good mix of exciting days and nice homey days. I also like that she will only vlog what she feels like, and doesn't make 20 minute long daily vlogs where nothing really happens.

I was very happy to hear about the re-brand- I can't wait to see a more grown up Louise in her vlogs as well
Winston wrote:Her collabs with mamrie hart were so funny and off brand i hope she does stuff more like that.
These were absolutely hilarious. I would love to see Louise doing more of this type of content :lol: :lol:
daphenaxa
blobfish

Irrelevant to her latest video and announcement but I was on her channel and rewatched her pumpkin decorating video

and I honestly think it is one of the funniest videos on youtube. Like I have rarely laughed that much watching a video especially on yt.
And I know she is partly having a breakdown but her comedic timing is so good too.
If you’re attracted to somebody, you’ll want them to sniff you eventually - Dan
*Phil is turned on by Dan's brilliance* *they kiss* *they have sex in the microwave* - Oqua (actually Phil)
Kathrynxjane
janice from the shop
Pronouns: She/Her

human wrote:Louise I really adore her and I'm SO happy with her rebranding, I've finally subscribed instead of sneakily watching whenever I remember because I finally feel part of her target audience. So excited to see her new, refreshed content.

I kind of wish I was going to her show, I just couldn't find anyone to go with but I'm knackered after a long working week so kinda glad I'm not because I have zero energy. But I think it would be pretty entertaining, she's a real sweetheart.

I also hope this means she is eventually finding better representation than Gleam tbh.
I freaking love Louise. Definitely the best gleamer there is. She is the most grounded one!

I went to Louise Live last year (couldn't go this year!) but it Was really great. She was hilarious live. So many great stories about her life.

Like she said in her video it was like a stand up comedy show. She was herself in it. It was funny to watch the faces of the parents of the 11 year old when they realised maybe this wasn't the best idea!!!

I can't wait for her new content
"You can't just pull it out and put it in without a plan." Dan Howell 2015
mio
#relatable

daphenaxa wrote:Irrelevant to her latest video and announcement but I was on her channel and rewatched her pumpkin decorating video

and I honestly think it is one of the funniest videos on youtube. Like I have rarely laughed that much watching a video especially on yt.
And I know she is partly having a breakdown but her comedic timing is so good too.
Omg thanks for linking this video, I laughed so hard!! Does anybody get the impression that she's really tipsy in this though? :lol:

Anyway, I love Louise though I've never watched the videos on her channel, bc I'm not that interested in that kind of content... but with the rebrand now, I'm really excited! Especially curious about her political work about gender equality and such? This sounds amazing!

ANd I'm glad that she gets so much positive feedback from everyone. Her video is one of the most courageous and honest things I've seen on YT in a long time! And it makes so much sense too. The people who grew up during the rise of social media/youtube are in their late 20s now so there desperately needs to be content for that audience (me being in that group as well I especially appreciate it ;)). It's weird how most of the "mainstream" humour & lifestyle stuff on yt is still catering to teens, while they clearly aren't the majority any longer.
~ IT'S A HORSE SUSAN ~
mio
#relatable

So I'm posting here again. Hello guys? :D
Anyway Louise uploaded a new video yesterday, first one after the big announcement. Not really any shocking revelations unlike the titel might suggest but the whole vid has a nicely calm and mature vibe. I liked it and will continue watching her stuff!

~ IT'S A HORSE SUSAN ~
majitzu
angel bean

mio wrote:So I'm posting here again. Hello guys? :D
Anyway Louise uploaded a new video yesterday, first one after the big announcement. Not really any shocking revelations unlike the titel might suggest but the whole vid has a nicely calm and mature vibe. I liked it and will continue watching her stuff!

Link fixed
NarrysCanary
janice from the shop

mio wrote:So I'm posting here again. Hello guys? :D

I liked that video, even though the facts weren't groundbreaking. I'm glad that she dropped the musical intro she used to use and the way she used to do her intro as well, the "Hello, today i'm going to blablablah". I'm really looking forward to see her videos with her new "branding".
:biheart:
timtam
lady door

I've never been a fan of Louise's content but I have enjoyed her appearances in 's videos. I watched that video and actually enjoyed it. It was the right mix of casual and personal but it came across as really professional. She speaks really well, so clear. She did self deprecation pretty well too. The comment about how she obviously didn't do exercise because she was a bit fat was just the right amount of self deprecation without coming across as really depressive? Also I loved her comment 'i play with alcohol, but i wont play with fire that's just dangerous' :lol:

I might have to check out some more of her new videos if they are going to be similar.
phamnotof
morning quiff

So, having watched the 10 Qs video & the new Sex, Religion & Politics one... Am I the only one who smells a flop?

I'm judgemental. Granted. But oh god, everything about this "watch me adult sex religion politics oh so taboo" thing feels so extremely forced to me. It's like watching a baby duck learn to walk, only the baby duck is 31, has a kid and a whole life she could be sharing since she seems to want to expand her range rather than this... Meh.

Like honestly, the fact that you lost your virginity at some point, believe in a Christian God & like sex - that's not controversial to me, and it's also just not interesting.

I expected things more of the "one time, i was shagging this guy and my daughter walked in and we had to pretend to be doing yoga" or - I don't know. Something. "Love your post-birth stretch marks" PSAs, even. I feel like trying to cram such huge topics into summaries and having it be so bland questions like "So do you like sex?" are asked...

I had much, much higher expectations. Hopefully things get less awkward as we go on, and she show the depth she's only talking about wanting to show so far, imo.

(Makes me appreciate slow, thought-out and slow-burn rebrands, man. I really need to remember the "Sex, Religion and Politics" video every time I want D&P to change radically. They're really doing fucking fine.)
NarrysCanary
janice from the shop

phamnotof wrote:
So, having watched the 10 Qs video & the new Sex, Religion & Politics one... Am I the only one who smells a flop?

I'm judgemental. Granted. But oh god, everything about this "watch me adult sex religion politics oh so taboo" thing feels so extremely forced to me. It's like watching a baby duck learn to walk, only the baby duck is 31, has a kid and a whole life she could be sharing since she seems to want to expand her range rather than this... Meh.

Like honestly, the fact that you lost your virginity at some point, believe in a Christian God & like sex - that's not controversial to me, and it's also just not interesting.

I expected things more of the "one time, i was shagging this guy and my daughter walked in and we had to pretend to be doing yoga" or - I don't know. Something. "Love your post-birth stretch marks" PSAs, even. I feel like trying to cram such huge topics into summaries and having it be so bland questions like "So do you like sex?" are asked...

I had much, much higher expectations. Hopefully things get less awkward as we go on, and she show the depth she's only talking about wanting to show so far, imo.

(Makes me appreciate slow, thought-out and slow-burn rebrands, man. I really need to remember the "Sex, Religion and Politics" video every time I want D&P to change radically. They're really doing fucking fine.)
I agree with what you said. I expected the same things as you so this video was quite underwhelming for me. And they do not look comfortable at all.

Also, it bothers me that the girl next to her implied that starting to have sex at 16 was quite late and 19 even more late.
mio
#relatable

Agreed on them not going really deep in the topics, but it was ok for testing the waters I guess?
I also felt like putting three huge, kinda unrelated topics that could all have their own video series in one video was a weird choice.
I attribute it to the fact that it was a collab and hope she'll do more on each on her own. It felt like the other girl was kind of stopping the conversation from getting into the more interesting parts as well, as she was clearly more uncomfortable &didn't really know what she was talking about.

Some of Louises thoughts were interesting though and confirmed my impression that she's actually a really intelligent woman. I'd like to hear more about actual political views from her, instead of just "politics are important, go vote"
~ IT'S A HORSE SUSAN ~
nephilimcat
woodland creature

NarrysCanary wrote:Also, it bothers me that the girl next to her implied that starting to have sex at 16 was quite late and 19 even more late.

Agreed. Especially that she didn't back off when Louise said she lost hers at 19. One of them could've said that it doesn't matter when you lose your virginity but Louise just kind of agreed or at least didn't comment on it any further.
mio wrote:Agreed on them not going really deep in the topics, but it was ok for testing the waters I guess?
I also felt like putting three huge, kinda unrelated topics that could all have their own video series in one video was a weird choice.
I attribute it to the fact that it was a collab and hope she'll do more on each on her own. It felt like the other girl was kind of stopping the conversation from getting into the more interesting parts as well, as she was clearly more uncomfortable &didn't really know what she was talking about.

Some of Louises thoughts were interesting though and confirmed my impression that she's actually a really intelligent woman. I'd like to hear more about actual political views from her, instead of just "politics are important, go vote"

I really hope that she was just "testing the waters". If it keeps that way, I'll be disappointed. However, we do have to remember that she never did this before. Maybe she thought that making her first video about a crazy sex story was a bit much. I think it would be quite interesting to hear how she got into Christianity and why even though I'm an agnostic. I just find it very interesting as long as people don't start to force their religion on others. And if she could do an informative video about politics, it would be pretty nice because it could be generally helpful.
pulvis et umbra sumus
spaceguitar
ar·tic·u·late

I just watched a few of Louise's older videos, from like 2013 era, and I realized that she used to be more risque. She would talk about bad dates. She started the 'My First Time' tag that Dan did and credited her for. I don't think she talked explicitly about sex or anything, but these videos have that sort of daringness that I got the sense that she wants to have (again?). I enjoyed watching them.
NarrysCanary
janice from the shop

spaceguitar wrote:I just watched a few of Louise's older videos, from like 2013 era, and I realized that she used to be more risque. She would talk about bad dates. She started the 'My First Time' tag that Dan did and credited her for. I don't think she talked explicitly about sex or anything, but these videos have that sort of daringness that I got the sense that she wants to have (again?). I enjoyed watching them.
Yeah ! Exactly ! I've been trying to say that for ages but you find the words for me. She used to have a more mature/risqué content in which she would talk about a day-to-day life of someone who's about to be 30 around 2013 like you said. She did some sex videos before :
it's a tag and it's not particularly explicit. You still can see that she's not that comfortable talking about that topic on camera even back then. She even did a video about religion in 2012.

That's what I was expecting when she said she wanted to open up her content to a older audience but at the same time it's been only two videos since the rebranding we should wait a little and see.
I have no idea how to conclude this post
mio
#relatable

She made a new video (sorry I'm on mobile and too lazy to link) announcing she is writing a novel right now. I think she sounds genuinely excited about it and having the story of a strong, single mum in the spotlight like this is definitely something.
I probably wont read it though unless somebody tells me it's worth it, not my preferred kind of fiction
~ IT'S A HORSE SUSAN ~
human
dan hand trash

Ehhh not another book. At least she's not making Zoe's mistake and is saying "our hero, Robin" so she's clearly not writing it herself. But then she said it's coming out next summer and she will be busy writing it... so it's not even written lol. Honestly, I can understand how new writers struggling to get published feel because they have to take a complete first draft to a publisher and plead it to be taken on, and YouTubers can presumably just pitch an idea and get a book deal settled in their lap.

it sounds like it's going to be a Sophie Kinsella type book, not sure I'm particularly interested and idk if I've ever heard her talk about wanting to be a fiction writer before. It was a weird sort of announcement video, of her speaking in the plural about "we" but then not explaining the process.

Will be a shame if after her big channel refresh, she makes less content because she's too busy assisting the ghostwriting of a book.
nephilimcat
woodland creature

human wrote:Ehhh not another book. At least she's not making Zoe's mistake and is saying "our hero, Robin" so she's clearly not writing it herself. But then she said it's coming out next summer and she will be busy writing it... so it's not even written lol. Honestly, I can understand how new writers struggling to get published feel because they have to take a complete first draft to a publisher and plead it to be taken on, and YouTubers can presumably just pitch an idea and get a book deal settled in their lap.

it sounds like it's going to be a Sophie Kinsella type book, not sure I'm particularly interested and idk if I've ever heard her talk about wanting to be a fiction writer before. It was a weird sort of announcement video, of her speaking in the plural about "we" but then not explaining the process.

Will be a shame if after her big channel refresh, she makes less content because she's too busy assisting the ghostwriting of a book.
Is it really ghostwriting? I didn't pay attention to any slip ups and just assumed she writes it herself. I hate ghostwriting, especially when people aren't honest about it :sideeye: I won't buy the book because it's not the kind of story that interests me, but I'd like to know anyway. I have no problems with YouTubers who take the opportunity to publish books if they do it at least mostly themselves. Getting a little help is fine, but just having the idea and then not writing it, yet taking all the credit for it, is something I can't stand.
pulvis et umbra sumus
syzygy
drama llama

One of the things that puts me off the most about YTers writing novels is the blatant self-insertion. I don't think self-insertion is inherently bad, and I can understand that the easiest thing to write about is your own experiences, but I just cringe when I read the descriptions of the main characters of these novels. Zoella and Carrie Fletcher's novels are prime examples of this, and it looks like Louise's book will be much the same. I'm not interested in reading a book where the main character is a slightly more idealistic version of the author with a different name.
human
dan hand trash

nephilimcat wrote:
human wrote:Ehhh not another book. At least she's not making Zoe's mistake and is saying "our hero, Robin" so she's clearly not writing it herself. But then she said it's coming out next summer and she will be busy writing it... so it's not even written lol. Honestly, I can understand how new writers struggling to get published feel because they have to take a complete first draft to a publisher and plead it to be taken on, and YouTubers can presumably just pitch an idea and get a book deal settled in their lap.

Is it really ghostwriting? I didn't pay attention to any slip ups and just assumed she writes it herself. I hate ghostwriting, especially when people aren't honest about it :sideeye: I won't buy the book because it's not the kind of story that interests me, but I'd like to know anyway. I have no problems with YouTubers who take the opportunity to publish books if they do it at least mostly themselves. Getting a little help is fine, but just having the idea and then not writing it, yet taking all the credit for it, is something I can't stand.
I found the use of "our" and "we" so deliberate, so much so that it just stuck out like a sore thumb for me. No harm in co-writing or ghostwriting if you're a new writer and all that, it's just the dishonesty that bothers me. So I hope going forwards Louise explains the process and doesn't take all the credit like Zoe has done.