Dodie

onetruetrash
blobfish

I'm really surprised that Dodie hasn't gotten her own topic yet. She's gotten a lot more popular recently and I figured someone had to make this.

I find her interesting as a person and I listened to Sick of Losing Soulmates, but I didn't find it that interesting at the moment, but I'll give it another listen.
000dia000
emo goose

Yeah, funny enough I don't think there's much to say about Dodie? I quite like her, she's one of my favourite youtubers, but there's not much to say about her. Her career is really going up at the moment and I'm happy for her, I listen to her EP a lot, even though I'm not generally a fan of the ukulele kind of music, her voice is quite gentle and nice to listen to.

I really hate her GG thread, they never say anything nice about her, and the criticism they do they is about her personality or about her mental health, and most of what they say is just so unnecessarily malicious as if she's done something wrong and she's never done anything?? Some people like to pull out receipts where she has shaded the phandom, but I shit talk the phandom, so I don't really get too upset about that.

Anyway, sorry for the rant, but yes I love her music and her videos are fun. I'm looking forward to her getting back to a bit of more regular uploading, at the moment you can only enjoy her stuff if you follow her on snapchat and I simply couldn't be bothered so I hope she makes a new video soon. She's currently in Japan, so I wonder how that's going.
:cactus:
onetruetrash
blobfish

000dia000 wrote:I really hate her GG thread, they never say anything nice about her, and the criticism they do they is about her personality or about her mental health, and most of what they say is just so unnecessarily malicious as if she's done something wrong and she's never done anything?? Some people like to pull out receipts where she has shaded the phandom, but I shit talk the phandom, so I don't really get too upset about that.
From what I've seen/heard GG just talks shit about everyone no matter what. Seriously, it's ridiculous. Dodie is pretty much drama free, but hey, if there is no drama then people will make it up. (sorry i just got so salty but gg is just the worst)
000dia000
emo goose

1. I absolutely love the song "Interwined", I really like Dode's EP. I wasn't greatly interested in her music at first, but it has grown on me, and I now really enjoy it and listen to it frequently. This song in particular I find really sad.
2. I'm also one of those people who find this music video a tad...odd. I don't hate it, and while I understand what Dodie and what the creative team (Sammy Paul) tried to do, it doesn't really fit for me? The first video they did was perfect, spot-on with what the song was trying to convey. The video for this however, could have been the video for absolutely any song and there doesn't really seem to be a connection unless you look closely. Also, just the editing and rhythm in general seems off, it isn't as enjoyable to watch and is kind of passive.
3. I really want to see Dodie go back to making frequent videos again, she's been a bit busy recently, granted, but I'm selfish and want another month with a video every day

Also she shit 1 million subs I'm very proud
nephilimcat
woodland creature
Pronouns: she/her

000dia000 wrote:
1. I absolutely love the song "Interwined", I really like Dode's EP. I wasn't greatly interested in her music at first, but it has grown on me, and I now really enjoy it and listen to it frequently. This song in particular I find really sad.
2. I'm also one of those people who find this music video a tad...odd. I don't hate it, and while I understand what Dodie and what the creative team (Sammy Paul) tried to do, it doesn't really fit for me? The first video they did was perfect, spot-on with what the song was trying to convey. The video for this however, could have been the video for absolutely any song and there doesn't really seem to be a connection unless you look closely. Also, just the editing and rhythm in general seems off, it isn't as enjoyable to watch and is kind of passive.
I really like that it's so odd. I like odd things. And it's also something people didn't expect. Her music sounds so sweet, but the video is not. And I like that. I also think it visualises anxiety pretty well, which the song is about (I think). No idea about the rhythm or editing though, I have no knowledge about either
pulvis et umbra sumus
shoe
Moderator Emeritus
Pronouns: they/them

nephilimcat wrote:
000dia000 wrote:
I really like that it's so odd. I like odd things. And it's also something people didn't expect. Her music sounds so sweet, but the video is not. And I like that. I also think it visualises anxiety pretty well, which the song is about (I think). No idea about the rhythm or editing though, I have no knowledge about either
I like the music video. The concept reminded me of teen magazines (were they intended to be suitable for teenagers? Idk my friends brought them on school trips when we were 14 15 and 16 and I saw them then) which had a page recommending two new sex positions each week, which were illustrated using naked barbie and ken dolls. The sudden dark twist was unexpected. I don't know whether it fit well with the lyrics b/c I was concentrating to much on the visual to pay attention to the words. It was something I haven't seen done before and I think it was a clever idea, but idk how appropriate it was to the song.
thephandommenace
procrastinator

I was just thinking about Dodie and was wondering if she had a thread here. I love Dodie, and I'm usually not into that kind of music but I really like hers. I liked her creative upbeat ukulele songs (e.g. 'Paint') but her studio-produced, more serious music is fantastic. Sick of Losing Soulmates was great, and I love Intertwined even more. I thought the dark twist in the video made sense as I always thought there was something underlyingly eerie about the lyrics (though there are few) and the way it was sung. I was blown away by how good the music video was. Very artistic.

I've not read her thread on GG but I've never felt the urge to. Some threads on there are really just nitpicking and don't offer any valid criticism. I don't think there's really anything worth criticizing where Dodie's concerned. I'm not a huge fan of the claps and clicks at the beginning of videos or how heavily filtered a lot of vlogs with her friends are, but everyone in her circle does it, and that's just my personal taste and definitely not worth making a fuss about. "Hey, you know what I hate? Those darn claps, clicks and filters. Unsubscribed."
CallMeAyana
cheeky #spon
Pronouns: Phan Trash

thephandommenace wrote:I was just thinking about Dodie and was wondering if she had a thread here. I love Dodie, and I'm usually not into that kind of music but I really like hers. I liked her creative upbeat ukulele songs (e.g. 'Paint') but her studio-produced, more serious music is fantastic. Sick of Losing Soulmates was great, and I love Intertwined even more. I thought the dark twist in the video made sense as I always thought there was something underlyingly eerie about the lyrics (though there are few) and the way it was sung. I was blown away by how good the music video was. Very artistic.
Same! I'm usually not into that kind of music, but I sometimes find myself listening to her songs on repeat. It's beautifully-written because she's saying something. Some of her songs are really heart-felt, like her song "When" because... you can hear her voice breaking as she sings. It's just so... moving. Her songs are just really moving, mostly her originals.
captainspacecoat
stress mushroom

I love Dodie! I've been subscribed to her since like 2013 maybe? And my interest in her has remained pretty constant, when I got sick of dnp from 2014-2015 I was still pretty consistently keeping up with Dodie. It's so nice to have watched her grow and improve and get more successful, she's one of those people I just really want the best for. I think she's just very refreshingly honest- she comes across as quite vulnerable in a very relatable way. I also think she seems like a genuinely lovely person, she seems to get along with a lot of people in the community and as far as I'm aware she seems very grateful for everything she has.

re: Intertwined video - I think I sit somewhere in the middle. I thought the video was really creative and quite cool. However, it just didn't suit my personal interpretation of the song. To me, I didn't interpret the song as sinister at all, just about feeling out of control/anxious/mentally unwell but finding that person who makes you feel safe and calm and okay. I guess that comes down to my personal interpretation, so I'm not knocking Sammy or Dodie or anyone else involved, it just didn't really resonate with me personally
nephilimcat
woodland creature

CallMeAyana wrote: Same! I'm usually not into that kind of music, but I sometimes find myself listening to her songs on repeat. It's beautifully-written because she's saying something. Some of her songs are really heart-felt, like her song "When" because... you can hear her voice breaking as she sings. It's just so... moving. Her songs are just really moving, mostly her originals.
"When" is my favourite song of hers. It reminds me of myself in some ways and the way it's sung is just so beautiful. Never thought I'd ever be into music like that. A year ago I was listening to nothing but rock music and now I don't even have any preferences anymore. I just listen to what I like. And Dodie's music happens to be very good.
pulvis et umbra sumus
silverwinter
spork

there's something about dodie that really puts me off, and i can't tell what it is. does anyone else have strange feelings about her? i'm trying to figure out what it is that puts me off her...she's definitely a nice woman, unproblematic, drama-free, etc. so it's not that i think she's an asshole or something. i think it may be that she's 22-years-old and still acts like a quirky, hyper, tumblr-esque teenager, which makes me enjoy her videos less. also, is anyone else baffled by the...excessive vulnerability and emotionality some youtubers (like dodie) give off in their videos? it's so strange to me that people like dodie treat youtube as their diaries, exposing all of their life's problems, crying on camera, letting everyone know about all their deepest, darkest feelings, etc. ofc i think it's a good thing to express how you're feeling and talk about your problems, but it gets to a certain point where it gives the impression that said youtuber believes that their problems are so much worse than other people's. i'm not saying dodie thinks this herself (like i said, she seems like a very sweet woman), but her fans are so young and impressionable that it seems like an unconscious understanding forms amongst them where they start to believe that dodie is this poor, perfect angel who is Suffering™ sooo much more than everyone else.

maybe i'm just someone that prefers private shit to stay private and to separate personal life from public/work life...but this kind of emotionality in youtube videos in front of thousands of strangers seems so excessive and over-the-top? what's wrong with just talking to friends/therapists/family, etc? people who actually know you and can help you without getting fake sympathy from people on the internet?

also, ngl, it bothers me bc...she's just another skinny, pretty, white girl who got popular while so many woc, fat women, conventionally unattractive women aren't. obv this isn't dodie's fault, but i feel like, for myself and for my own mental health, i want to support more women who aren't the same type of women that the media and society pushes upon us everyday. i just feel like it's tiring to constantly feel your worth and value as a human diminished bc you never see women like you in the media, with tons of followers and admiration and fan support.

lol i guess i do know why i don't really enjoy most of her content (tho granted, a lot of these reasons are out of her control), but i'm curious to see if anyone else feels this way
onetruetrash
blobfish

silverwinter wrote:there's something about dodie that really puts me off, and i can't tell what it is. does anyone else have strange feelings about her? i'm trying to figure out what it is that puts me off her...she's definitely a nice woman, unproblematic, drama-free, etc. so it's not that i think she's an asshole or something. i think it may be that she's 22-years-old and still acts like a quirky, hyper, tumblr-esque teenager, which makes me enjoy her videos less. also, is anyone else baffled by the...excessive vulnerability and emotionality some youtubers (like dodie) give off in their videos? it's so strange to me that people like dodie treat youtube as their diaries, exposing all of their life's problems, crying on camera, letting everyone know about all their deepest, darkest feelings, etc. ofc i think it's a good thing to express how you're feeling and talk about your problems, but it gets to a certain point where it gives the impression that said youtuber believes that their problems are so much worse than other people's. i'm not saying dodie thinks this herself (like i said, she seems like a very sweet woman), but her fans are so young and impressionable that it seems like an unconscious understanding forms amongst them where they start to believe that dodie is this poor, perfect angel who is Suffering™ sooo much more than everyone else.

maybe i'm just someone that prefers private shit to stay private and to separate personal life from public/work life...but this kind of emotionality in youtube videos in front of thousands of strangers seems so excessive and over-the-top? what's wrong with just talking to friends/therapists/family, etc? people who actually know you and can help you without getting fake sympathy from people on the internet?
I've seen people say things like to before and I get where it comes from, but I get why YouTubers do it. For one, they may feel like they are constantly bringing people around them down. Second, they may want to vent because it's easier to talk to a camera than a person. Third, maybe they just want to.
000dia000
emo goose

silverwinter wrote:there's something about dodie that really puts me off, and i can't tell what it is. does anyone else have strange feelings about her? i'm trying to figure out what it is that puts me off her...she's definitely a nice woman, unproblematic, drama-free, etc. so it's not that i think she's an asshole or something. i think it may be that she's 22-years-old and still acts like a quirky, hyper, tumblr-esque teenager, which makes me enjoy her videos less. also, is anyone else baffled by the...excessive vulnerability and emotionality some youtubers (like dodie) give off in their videos? it's so strange to me that people like dodie treat youtube as their diaries, exposing all of their life's problems, crying on camera, letting everyone know about all their deepest, darkest feelings, etc. ofc i think it's a good thing to express how you're feeling and talk about your problems, but it gets to a certain point where it gives the impression that said youtuber believes that their problems are so much worse than other people's. i'm not saying dodie thinks this herself (like i said, she seems like a very sweet woman), but her fans are so young and impressionable that it seems like an unconscious understanding forms amongst them where they start to believe that dodie is this poor, perfect angel who is Suffering™ sooo much more than everyone else.

I'm still a fan of Dodie, and I do feel a bit uncomfortable with how public she is with her feelings and private things etc, but maybe she just finds it therapeutic? There's a lot of different sides and aspects to consider when looking at what she puts out and presents herself to her viewers, and that's a ball-game in itself and is quite difficult to really side on: should she be more conscious of putting that barrier between herself and the audience in terms of what she shares? Or is she genuinely helping people with the videos she makes? That's the difficult line.

However, I'm a bit biased in regards to Dodie's mannerism and actions. While it's all very tumblr and girly etc. I don't like people being shamed for acting young. Take AmazingPhil, he acts the very same way and he's a 30 year old man. Her personality isn't for everyone, but she's being herself, and I wouldn't like to see that change.

silverwinter wrote: also, ngl, it bothers me bc...she's just another skinny, pretty, white girl who got popular while so many woc, fat women, conventionally unattractive women aren't. obv this isn't dodie's fault, but i feel like, for myself and for my own mental health, i want to support more women who aren't the same type of women that the media and society pushes upon us everyday. i just feel like it's tiring to constantly feel your worth and value as a human diminished bc you never see women like you in the media, with tons of followers and admiration and fan support.

Mate, call this controversial, but I hate skinny girls being shamed.

News flash: she can't help being skinny and pretty, and while she is privileged in being so, she shouldn't be attacked out of jealousy. She does grant a lot of success by herself being pretty and relatable. One of the most surprising things I found when I subscribed to her was how she would unapologetically appear in front of the camera, no makeup, messy hair, at least she isn't afraid to show what she looks like.

I think in the case of woc, fat women, and conventionally unattractive women, I agree, they don't get that much attention or success, but I think that's out of control, you can't force people to like a YouTuber you think you should get attention, the only thing you can do is support them yourself. While Dodie has inadvertently banked on being who she is, I don't think she should be shamed for it.
silverwinter
spork

silverwinter wrote: also, ngl, it bothers me bc...she's just another skinny, pretty, white girl who got popular while so many woc, fat women, conventionally unattractive women aren't. obv this isn't dodie's fault, but i feel like, for myself and for my own mental health, i want to support more women who aren't the same type of women that the media and society pushes upon us everyday. i just feel like it's tiring to constantly feel your worth and value as a human diminished bc you never see women like you in the media, with tons of followers and admiration and fan support.

Mate, call this controversial, but I hate skinny girls being shamed.

News flash: she can't help being skinny and pretty, and while she is privileged in being so, she shouldn't be attacked out of jealousy. She does grant a lot of success by herself being pretty and relatable. One of the most surprising things I found when I subscribed to her was how she would unapologetically appear in front of the camera, no makeup, messy hair, at least she isn't afraid to show what she looks like.

I think in the case of woc, fat women, and conventionally unattractive women, I agree, they don't get that much attention or success, but I think that's out of control, you can't force people to like a YouTuber you think you should get attention, the only thing you can do is support them yourself. While Dodie has inadvertently banked on being who she is, I don't think she should be shamed for it.
i get what you're saying, but i think you misunderstood my post. i wasn't claiming that it was dodie's fault that she looked a certain way (which i did make clear in my original post), but i was expressing a general sentiment about my feelings towards popularity on youtube and how that's linked to race/attractiveness etc. i was trying to explain how a lot of women like dodie get popular and are considered relatable/kind/sympathetic etc. while other women who do the same thing don't receive the same attention bc of race/attractiveness/weight etc. it's not any individual's fault ofc (including dodie), but it's just a general frustration i have with the way yt/hollywood works in general, which in retrospect, would've worked better in a more general thread.

also, I wasn't shaming dodie for being skinny. i'm not attacking the way her body looks, but pointing out how her body type is more successful in media than fat ones.
Birdie
blobfish

Please don't forget Dodie isn't straight. Yes, she's pretty, skinny and white but she's still a bisexual woman trying to make it in the music industry, which is slowly opening up but it's still really hard, especially for singers like her who actually sing about liking women and make videos with lgbtq content. People tend to forget how hard it still is to be openly lgbtq in media these days. So it's not like she's this overprivileged or talentless pretty girl. Her music might not be for everyone, I'm not listening to it in my freetime either, but there's a lot of talent there and I'm glad to see a bisexual singer being successful.

I used to slightly dislike her for being so quirky and hipstery (I found her pretentious), but I changed my mind when I watched more videos of hers for the reasons dia mentioned. The way Dodie talks about abuse, sexuality and stuff is just... I don't know, I think the way she does it is the right way (at least for me). It often feels comforting, listening to her talk about heavy topics and I guess her young viewers can learn a lot from her videos on those topics. I respect her a lot for that.
silverwinter
spork

Katka wrote:Please don't forget Dodie isn't straight. Yes, she's pretty, skinny and white but she's still a bisexual woman trying to make it in the music industry, which is slowly opening up but it's still really hard, especially for singers like her who actually sing about liking women and make videos with lgbtq content. People tend to forget how hard it still is to be openly lgbtq in media these days. So it's not like she's this overprivileged or talentless pretty girl. Her music might not be for everyone, I'm not listening to it in my freetime either, but there's a lot of talent there and I'm glad to see a bisexual singer being successful.

I used to slightly dislike her for being so quirky and hipstery (I found her pretentious), but I changed my mind when I watched more videos of hers for the reasons dia mentioned. The way Dodie talks about abuse, sexuality and stuff is just... I don't know, I think the way she does it is the right way (at least for me). It often feels comforting, listening to her talk about heavy topics and I guess her young viewers can learn a lot from her videos on those topics. I respect her a lot for that.
yup, i know she's not straight, and i think it's great to see a woman in the lgbtq+ community get so popular. skinny, pretty, and white were just things i was pointing out bc of a trend seen in the media to promote women like that. straight women are obv idealized too, so i see your point there. (i also definitely don't think she's talentless, though her music's not really my taste, either)

i guess i do find her too quirky for my taste? her mannerisms and behavior come off as so whimsical that when she talks about serious issues, it feels out of place to me, like she's not being serious enough (even tho i know she is). but yeah idk, obv she's not really my thing (even tho i do like some of her videos), but i was just curious to see if anyone else felt the same way!
shoe
Moderator Emeritus

I found watching work that went into the production of the Intertwined music video really interesting.
thephandommenace
procrastinator

Just wanted to quote from the main thread:
captainspacecoat wrote:[...] Dodie, who is very open about personal things on her youtube channel, was very private about her parents' recent divorce until this year, and even then she really only alluded to it.
I noticed this as well. Say what you like about Dodie and her oversharing, but I think she's very smart in what she shares and chooses not to share. As another example, I have only the vaguest of ideas of who she may have recently broken up with, based on people she collabs with, but no concrete evidence. It might not even have been someone on YouTube. I wasn't even aware she was in a relationship. I find myself not really that interested, either, despite me being interested in her as a person, so she seems to have played the game right. She will go really deep and personal into topics surrounding only herself, such as her sexuality and mental health, so her audience don't feel shut out and she remains #relatable, but not involving anyone else. I respect that.
onetruetrash
blobfish

I just remembered my old comment saying that I wasn't into Dodie's music lol I'm literally listening to her EP right now and I'm obsessed
onetruetrash
blobfish

Thoughts on her new book? It's been on Amazon for a while and the original title was "Inside My Head" if I'm not mistaken. Not much else to say, but I'm happy for her!
000dia000
emo goose

onetruetrash wrote:Thoughts on her new book? It's been on Amazon for a while and the original title was "Inside My Head" if I'm not mistaken. Not much else to say, but I'm happy for her!
I'm not up to date, wtf, every YouTuber's had a book now? Good for her but also wut? What's the point?
somethingsketchy
janice from the shop

000dia000 wrote:
onetruetrash wrote:Thoughts on her new book? It's been on Amazon for a while and the original title was "Inside My Head" if I'm not mistaken. Not much else to say, but I'm happy for her!
I'm not up to date, wtf, every YouTuber's had a book now? Good for her but also wut? What's the point?

Her book will apparently be a memoir like so many other YouTubers' books. Personally, I don't think anyone in their 20s should write one because no one that young can possibly have had a life interesting enough to make a great book (except maybe someone like Malala). I guess it'll be a nice piece of merch for her fans in any case ($$$).
Birdie
blobfish

The book is £16,99 on Amazon and only has 250 pages so I'm super suspicious. That's a lot of money for so little content, even if it's a hardcover. Seriously, 50k words is not a lot of words. At first I thought the book might be about mental illness or something because of the title and I actually liked that idea but yeah, seems to be another Youtube memoir written by someone barely in their 20s. (Also, is it just me or is that instagram caption pretty pretentious?)
somethingsketchy
janice from the shop

Katka wrote:The book is £16,99 on Amazon and only has 250 pages so I'm super suspicious. That's a lot of money for so little content, even if it's a hardcover. Seriously, 50k words is not a lot of words. At first I thought the book might be about mental illness or something because of the title and I actually liked that idea but yeah, seems to be another Youtube memoir written by someone barely in their 20s. (Also, is it just me or is that instagram caption pretty pretentious?)
Her whole Instagram is like that and I am constantly on the verge of unfollowing her. I mean, her pictures are nice and I actually think she's trying to be genuine, but I often get the feeling that I'm just too old to relate to any of her posts even though I'm only two years older than her.
human
dan hand trash

Her book is actually called "thoughts of the mad" or something like that, a title I find horrendously inappropriate on many levels.

I'm kinda done with this chick who, whether or not she's a pretentious person I don't know, but the image of herself she presents is a bit insufferable at this point. Also, she really needs to find a better selling point than her own unhappiness because she's so awkward to watch and I can't see it's doing herself any favours tbqh.