Other YouTubers thread

captainspacecoat
stress mushroom
Pronouns: she/her

Yiiiiikes.

I'm glad she apologised, but this should never have happened in the first place. She blamed autocorrect for supposedly replacing asterisks with letters at first, which is bullshit as autocorrect doesn't recognise swear words or slurs - which means she really did type out the word in full. Regardless of whether she censored it or wrote it out fully though, she should never have written the word at all or attempted to make a joke using that word. As a white person, it's not her place, and it's a really bad look. I'm glad Nathan refused to let it slide.
somethingsketchy
janice from the shop

John Green just announced that his upcoming book has a final cover and that he and Hank are going on a tour when the book comes out. I'm excited to hear more about the book, but it doesn't look like we are getting any more details before the release day.
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

I loved this video yesterday, guys doing makeup and looking so gorgeous is a lovely thing, and I love Thomas' Sanders Sides videos, they're very well thought-out and quick-witted.

Susanisnotafish
flower crown

flarequake wrote:I loved this video yesterday, guys doing makeup and looking so gorgeous is a lovely thing, and I love Thomas' Sanders Sides videos, they're very well thought-out and quick-witted.

That was so good! I love all the looks! I wish deppy would do a makeup vid. I never thought they'd do pastel edits irl and hair curling, but they did, so maybe.
"Rub those freckles all over me!" --Daniel Howell
fondsmiles
phabergé

HOLY HECK I AM SO EXCITED ABOUT THIS
[x]
[x]
nephilimcat
woodland creature

I just discovered that a YouTuber I've been watching had her channel basically stolen from her and has a new one now. So please don't watch the videos uploaded on "The Clarity Project" because she won't get any money but the people that screwed her over will. I'm so glad I found out because she recently uploaded this incredibly interesting video:

I've never heard anyone talk about dying this honestly and raw. I really admire her and I hope you check her out. I haven't listened to the podcasts as I only discovered her new channel today, but I'm sure they'll be interesting as well.
pulvis et umbra sumus
twix
butt chair

Thanks for sharing, @nephilmcat. Yikes at what happened with The Clairity Project though :x
Reizam
butt chair

nephilimcat wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:02 pm I just discovered that a YouTuber I've been watching had her channel basically stolen from her and has a new one now. So please don't watch the videos uploaded on "The Clarity Project" because she won't get any money but the people that screwed her over will. I'm so glad I found out because she recently uploaded this incredibly interesting video:

I've never heard anyone talk about dying this honestly and raw. I really admire her and I hope you check her out. I haven't listened to the podcasts as I only discovered her new channel today, but I'm sure they'll be interesting as well.
Thanks for this! I used to be subbed to The Clairity Project back when she made videos for them because I loved her upbeat attitude and frank conversations regarding illness and death. When I saw the channel wasn't uploading anymore I got a bit worried... guess now I know why :x. Happy she's back on YouTube with her own channel.
alch
ar·tic·u·late

nephilimcat wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:02 pm I just discovered that a YouTuber I've been watching had her channel basically stolen from her and has a new one now. So please don't watch the videos uploaded on "The Clarity Project" because she won't get any money but the people that screwed her over will. I'm so glad I found out because she recently uploaded this incredibly interesting video:

That was really interesting to watch, it's sad what happened with The Clarity Project.
nephilimcat
woodland creature

Reizam wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:50 pm
Thanks for this! I used to be subbed to The Clairity Project back when she made videos for them because I loved her upbeat attitude and frank conversations regarding illness and death. When I saw the channel wasn't uploading anymore I got a bit worried... guess now I know why :x. Happy she's back on YouTube with her own channel.
Yes, me too! I discovered one of her TED talks by chance and then saw a comment that explained the situation. I'm so glad the person made that comment, I'd still not know what's going on otherwise :stan:
pulvis et umbra sumus
twix
butt chair

I realize this is a long shot, but I know some of you have video hoarding tendencies. Basically, if you have copies of any of Brookers's videos, please PM me. My biggest interest is in "Chips" (watch?v=kxlSxcONjrU) because it's the most conspicuous absence, but any and all videos would be appreciated.

This is a fairly complete list of Brooke's main channel videos. I've finished scouring YouTube for reuploads, clips embedded in fanvids, side channels, etc. & I've got a good handle on the archives of Brooke's social media and the fansites.

A video to help refresh your memory
:thx:
greenergrass
stress mushroom

Just stumbled across a couple of Bobby Burns' videos tonight. I've never heard of him before, but he's got a decent number of subscribers (248k). Anyway, I was watching his video called "How to Emotionally Manipulate Your YouTube Audience" and thought some of you might find it interesting. It's nothing mind-blowing since I think most (at least older) viewers would already be aware of this, but I did think it was a good video overall. I didn't realize quite how many common things youtubers do in these emotional videos, but it was interesting (and kind of funny) to see them all listed out with examples.

kindofatrashcan
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie
Pronouns: She/Her

whatdoiknow wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:28 am Just stumbled across a couple of Bobby Burns' videos tonight. I've never heard of him before, but he's got a decent number of subscribers (248k). Anyway, I was watching his video called "How to Emotionally Manipulate Your YouTube Audience" and thought some of you might find it interesting. It's nothing mind-blowing since I think most (at least older) viewers would already be aware of this, but I did think it was a good video overall. I didn't realize quite how many common things youtubers do in these emotional videos, but it was interesting (and kind of funny) to see them all listed out with examples.

TomSka made a video 'response' to that and is super interesting!! At least for me was like having the two sides of the story.
greenergrass
stress mushroom

kindofatrashcan wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:18 pm TomSka made a video 'response' to that and is super interesting!! At least for me was like having the two sides of the story.
Ooh that was really interesting and actually something I had thought of too. He makes really good points and I definitely do agree with him. I guess the only thing is, you can never really know who is making those videos for the reasons Tom mentions, or who his doing it that way for the views. I guess you just have to have faith that most people (especially the youtubers you are fans of) are doing it for the right reasons, while obviously still keeping an objective perspective because you don't really know them.
000dia000
emo goose

whatdoiknow wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2017 3:28 am Just stumbled across a couple of Bobby Burns' videos tonight. I've never heard of him before, but he's got a decent number of subscribers (248k). Anyway, I was watching his video called "How to Emotionally Manipulate Your YouTube Audience" and thought some of you might find it interesting. It's nothing mind-blowing since I think most (at least older) viewers would already be aware of this, but I did think it was a good video overall. I didn't realize quite how many common things youtubers do in these emotional videos, but it was interesting (and kind of funny) to see them all listed out with examples.

This is the video that made me subscribe to him, it's a great video, and genuinely interesting. I remember Tomska responding to this video, saying he liked it and agreed with it, and admitted that he's prone to doing the things in the video that was "manipulative" (but went into more detail about it/defended himself, etc.)

I constantly see Bobby put up videos that look interesting, and I click and I....close the video after about twenty seconds. There's just something about Bobby that really annoys me, and I don't know what exactly it is. Maybe he just seems really angry all the time and just not nice? He actually addressed this, saying it takes a lot out of him to pretend to be enthusiastic on camera, when he's genuinely not, but it's not just that that makes his videos difficult to watch. He's just not likeable and it's weird to describe. It's not that I don't watch "hate" channels, one of my favourite youtubers is "I Hate Everything" so it's not as if I don't get a sarcastic, more cynical tone. It's just that when watching, I don't like Bobby, because he seems to be biased in everything he says. He seems to approach everything with an agenda for why he dislikes it, and watching topics of interest I like that he does, I can tell where he purposefully leaves information out or blatantly has not done enough research. It's just not worthwhile to watch his videos, where he seems to tear things apart for no real reason. He always has a set mind on a topic and is impossible to waver, or think from different perspectives. For these reasons, I just don't like him that much while watching. I'm still subscribed, but ugh
:cactus:
greenergrass
stress mushroom

000dia000 wrote: Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:05 pm I constantly see Bobby put up videos that look interesting, and I click and I....close the video after about twenty seconds. There's just something about Bobby that really annoys me, and I don't know what exactly it is. Maybe he just seems really angry all the time and just not nice? He actually addressed this, saying it takes a lot out of him to pretend to be enthusiastic on camera, when he's genuinely not, but it's not just that that makes his videos difficult to watch. He's just not likeable and it's weird to describe.
I only watched a couple videos so I don't have too much of an opinion on him personally but from the sounds of it I wouldn't really enjoying watching more of his content. I did get a bit of that vibe from him too though, so I get where you're coming from.
I don't like Bobby, because he seems to be biased in everything he says. He seems to approach everything with an agenda for why he dislikes it, and watching topics of interest I like that he does, I can tell where he purposefully leaves information out or blatantly has not done enough research.
That last part is interesting to me because the other video I watched of his was him calling out shane dawson for leaving out information and not doing research for his conspiracy videos - and I mean, that's true, but now he sounds like a bit of a hypocrite.
flarequake
not an airport stalker

Did anyone know Mitch Moffit of ASAP Science was on Big Brother season 4 Canada last year? I just came across this, and there’s clips and interviews elsewhere too.

flarequake
not an airport stalker

Back again, this is a great explanation of demonetisation and its implications

fancybum
senpai

So uhhh does this video cause anybody else to orgasm uncontrollably or is it just me? Anybody else have undying love for OG SourceFed y/y? The actual holy trinity (or whatever the word is for 4 things if Joe also pops up)..? YES YES?

And along this train of thought, is anybody else enjoying Steve's Torty Cloud series?
I find them unsettling but joyful and cathartic to watch for reasons even I don't understand. He has a different person come in to direct them with their (the director's) own concept or idea of what the storyline is they're filming, and then Owen just edits it into whatever the fuck we end up with which probably has nothing to do with what the director was directing. It's just good weird fun and I love it.
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me
fancybum
senpai

fancybum wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:34 pm So uhhh does this video cause anybody else to orgasm uncontrollably or is it just me? Anybody else have undying love for OG SourceFed y/y? The actual holy trinity (or whatever the word is for 4 things if Joe also pops up)..? YES YES?
Nobody else wants to admit to being inappropriately sexually excited OH OK THEN, but could you please watch:

It's GOD.DAMN.DELIGHTFUL. Ignore the terrible thumbnail- why is that the thumbnail- honestly it's so good and I love these people so much :blackheart:

Actually as long as I'm here, this video makes my Top 5 Coming Out vids and I don't think it's been posted here:

Short n snappy (and entertaining and touching ahhhh) :happytears:
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me
obvsly
#relatable

fancybum wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:05 am
Actually as long as I'm here, this video makes my Top 5 Coming Out vids and I don't think it's been posted here:

Short n snappy (and entertaining and touching ahhhh) :happytears:
Oh I really love this one too! I shared it on my twitter probably the day she posted it. Had me in tears. And it's so cute!! <3
000dia000
emo goose

This guy has become one of my fav youtubers, idk I just find him very charismatic. His video shining a light in his eye became popular on reddit and I was like his 15 thousand sub in that day, now he has over 150K so I don't think he necessarily goes into small youtuber recs. Idek how to describe his content, or if anybody here might like it. He seems to work in software, but also knows engineering to some degree, he's kind of mysterious in a way, he could be anywhere between 14 years old and 30. I do love the way his videos just seem to slip further and further into a kind of chaos, he's kind of insane in a subtle way, very adorkable, legitimately one of the few people to have on notifs to see when he uploads. If you like this video, I recommend watching all his videos in chronological thereafter.

He reminds me of Simone Giertz with making useless inventions, also amazing, also on my notifs:
AroboticPhil
sad dimple
Pronouns: she

I don't think Hannah Witton had a thread so I'm posting this here.
I don't have a lot of comments to add but Hannah just announced she's had colon surgery (tweet under the spoiler, there's a pic of her in a hospital bed)
She did tweet a bit about having health issues and being in hospital but I didn't realise it was that serious, so this surprised me a lot.
To be honest, I don't know a lot about her condition so I don't know how life altering this is gonna be for her but she seems to have a positive mindset so I'm glad ! I hope that she recovers soon <3
000dia000
emo goose

AroboticPhil wrote: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:32 pm I don't think Hannah Witton had a thread so I'm posting this here.
I don't have a lot of comments to add but Hannah just announced she's had colon surgery (tweet under the spoiler, there's a pic of her in a hospital bed)
She did tweet a bit about having health issues and being in hospital but I didn't realise it was that serious, so this surprised me a lot.
To be honest, I don't know a lot about her condition so I don't know how life altering this is gonna be for her but she seems to have a positive mindset so I'm glad ! I hope that she recovers soon <3
I've family that had similar surgery and the whole "bag" thing is honestly a 50/50 thing where some people have a successful surgery and can get by life fine, but for others who are weak or have had poor surgery it kind of effs them up. She seems pretty optimistic about it and I hope that everything went well for her.
flarequake
not an airport stalker

I was happy to see she'd got a positive result after it flared up late last year. I only watched her video about the trouble she's had a while ago, but I've heard plenty from my mum over the years.