Other YouTubers thread

kavat
pastel persona
Pronouns: she/her

I've never liked Jaackmaate and this makes me like him even less. He's the kind of person who "says it like it is, I'm brutally honest" without thinking at all about how it might effect others.

I'm not sure making a video to your 7,5m subscribers is the way to go and Caspar was out of line in the way he initially responded, but I still have big respect for him for standing up for his friend.
Birdie
blobfish
Pronouns: they/them

Okay, no. There's a lot about Jaackmaate I don't like but I'm with him on this. He didn't "bully" Oli White. He criticised a piece of Oli's merch and especially its price. And that's allowed. Caspar "standing up" for his friend was literally Caspar telling his giant audience that Jack was a horrible bully knowing full well that they would come for him. Jack got death threats from Caspar's and Oli's audiences over a throwaway comment about Oli's overprized shirt. Has Caspar thought about how that might''ve effected Jack before posting that first video? Didn't think so. (I'm not trying to attack you by the way, but we can't go and call people bullies for having a negative opinion on someone's merch or content. Criticism is damn healthy, especially considering Youtube merch which sadly is very often overprized garbage sold to kids.)

You don't have to like Jaackmaate but he had every right to call out Oli's ridiculous merch prices (just like he had every right to call out Zoella over her advent calendar last year) and he explained his problem with it very well in his video. Caspar is making a fuss about literally nothing. I like Caspar but he can miss me with this sob story about how some solid criticism hurt their feelings and how it's totes bullying (it's not). Ganging up on Jack and sitting down to make a condescending 20 minute video making fun of his video is though. Way to teach your audience that you can never say negative opinions ever because then you're not "nice" and positive. And piggy backing on Jaackmaate's idea to use this drama to donate to anti-bullying organisations just so your fans can rest well assured that you also care is weak. Caspar's "I want this to be the end of this" comment at the end and the high and mighty attitude and flippant comments all through the video... I can't even. Everything about this video is completely unfair. Caspar putting the audience in the role of the victims with his "I hope you know you aren't as stupid as Jack says" when Jack never even insinuated that. Playing Jack's video back with that high pitched voice so that people will have a hard time taking him and his very valid arguments seriously. Acting all hurt and victimised, like someone criticising your merch will take away your million pound income.

But I guess this whole "drama" (it's so ridiculous, this whole thing is about someone criticising a piece of merch, oh god) is giving all of them - Caspar, Jack and Oli probably - mad clicks, so well done? But there's major backlash already, even from Caspar's fans so I don't think they he did himself a favour here. And tbh, he deserves it in my opinion. This reaction to Jack's original comments and his video were childish and they're trying to turn peoples' opinions against what Jack said with cheap tricks which is hella manipulative. All they're saying is "We're the victims here, Jack is mean and a bully, so please keep buying our lazy merch" and I can't believe more people don't see through that.
zazzed
squish

Has anyone watched Contrapoints? I looked them up after dan mentioned her in a liveshow and I am so in love with her work, incredibly so. I did exactly what Dan did and binged watched every video in the span of 2 days. Would be rlly cool if Dan decided to dabble in that kind of video making; long, stylized, film-like videos posted once or twice a month. I know their channels are widely different content wise, but I think that branching out in some way would actually be really interesting to see? Also would love if Phil went back to some of his old-school film making style, as I found those really neat and really fucking creative. But I doubt it. A girl can dream though... :cry:
fieldoflovers
living flop

zazzed wrote: Sun Apr 08, 2018 4:35 am Has anyone watched Contrapoints? I looked them up after dan mentioned her in a liveshow and I am so in love with her work, incredibly so. I did exactly what Dan did and binged watched every video in the span of 2 days. Would be rlly cool if Dan decided to dabble in that kind of video making; long, stylized, film-like videos posted once or twice a month. I know their channels are widely different content wise, but I think that branching out in some way would actually be really interesting to see? Also would love if Phil went back to some of his old-school film making style, as I found those really neat and really fucking creative. But I doubt it. A girl can dream though... :cry:
I agree with everything you said tbh! I would love to see dan to longer videos especially if they were video essay type of things. I sometimes wonder if Dan had started later on youtube and his influences weren’t vloggers what kind of videos he’d make, because while i think his comedy is really good, i do like his deep messages and things like that. I kinda know these types of videos wouldn’t happen because changing direction with 7 million people watching is difficult but I will join you in dreamland where dan makes videos that are equal parts philosphical, zany and weird.
lilabet
philussy
Pronouns: She/Her

I’ve recently been watching Hannah Witton. Not every video but she recently had fairly intrusive surgery and is posting about her recovery

Phandom Gives
@phandomgives on social media. Check out the website for the latest information and current donation drive! <3
fieldoflovers
living flop

Do any of you watch Connor Manning? They posted this video recently where they reacted to a gender tag video they did in 2015, when they identified as a cis male. Its weird because I remember subscribing to them then because they were bi and talked abt being a bi guy which is a perspective I hadn’t heard much of before. A lot can change in 3 years I guess but this video was very interesting in terms of what people present to the world(be it irl or on yt) vs. reality.
somethingsketchy
janice from the shop

Hannah Witton has been mentioned in this thread several times before, so I thought I'd share her latest video for those of you who aren't subscribed to her. It's a mini-documentary about a photoshoot she had post-surgery, her scar and stoma bag on show.

obsessivelymoody
emo goose

I'm not sure if anyone else watches them, but I've really been enjoying this series "The Internet Explorers", which comes out on the channel radhaggis. for a while now. It's just the kind of perfect meld of weird, dark, and silly for me. I'll link the first episode here, but I really think it just keeps getting better with every episode. I do wish it could come out more than once a month, but it definitely works very well as a monthly wrap-up of sorts.
scientia
phabergé

Re: David Dobrik and Liza Koshy's breakup

I'm not the biggest fan of either and didn't really follow their personal lives, but I find this handling of their breakup very refreshing. Time will tell if they continue to hang out together, but overall it's so nice to see people portraying a (seemingly) healthy, no-drama breakup. I especially liked that they very specifically told their audiences that should one of them start dating someone else, it would be okay and to just be chill about it.

But also wow, 25 million views in just a few days...
kavat
pastel persona

scientia wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:46 am Re: David Dobrik and Liza Koshy's breakup
I'm not the biggest fan of either and didn't really follow their personal lives, but I find this handling of their breakup very refreshing. Time will tell if they continue to hang out together, but overall it's so nice to see people portraying a (seemingly) healthy, no-drama breakup. I especially liked that they very specifically told their audiences that should one of them start dating someone else, it would be okay and to just be chill about it.

But also wow, 25 million views in just a few days...
I agree, I think they handled that very well. There is so much I like about this video (except for the actual break up of course), like the fact that they waited so long to talk about it and not when the wounds were fresh, that they showed David crying (it's okay to be sad about stuff even if you're a boy!) and just the over all love and respect they seem to have for each other. I wish them all the best.
kavat
pastel persona

I don't know if anyone here watches Echo but she's posted a video about being asexual. It's a great video with a really good explanation about what it means and how it feels. I'm really glad she made it.
greenergrass
stress mushroom

Did anyone use to watch Will and RJ (shep689)? I used to watch their daily vlogs for a period of about 6 months or maybe a year, and then lost track when they stopped daily vlogging a couple years ago. I just thought of them tonight, went to check their channel to see what they were up to these days, which led to me finding out they recently divorced (which apparently involved cheating and physical abuse). I was shocked at first, but then not all that shocked when I remembered their history. It's still sad though, if what RJ said on twitter is true.

Anyways, anyone else watch them and follow along with what went on?
alien
procrastinator

I used to watch their daily vlogs up until like the last year they were doing them because of how much RJ annoyed me.

I think it’s always important to hear out people who say they’ve suffered abuse but I don’t think RJ is totally innocent either going by the things they were open about in their past. And if you go by what their friends have said publicly about this...idk the whole situation sucks and I hope they both find peace. But I’m just really glad Will seems to be doing well with his job and doing some traveling.
greenergrass
stress mushroom

alien wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:23 pm I used to watch their daily vlogs up until like the last year they were doing them because of how much RJ annoyed me.

I think it’s always important to hear out people who say they’ve suffered abuse but I don’t think RJ is totally innocent either going by the things they were open about in their past. And if you go by what their friends have said publicly about this...idk the whole situation sucks and I hope they both find peace. But I’m just really glad Will seems to be doing well with his job and doing some traveling.
Yeah RJ had started to annoy me too. I sunk to reading GG threads last night because I wanted to see if there was any more insight into the situation, and yeah it seems like their mutual friends have mostly taken will's side. Which does make me wonder if rj's tweet was referring to new instances, or just what we already knew about with the alcohol and will's ptsd and all that happened. I wonder if they were honest about that whole situation to begin with.

I also hope dobby's doing well and everything's under control health wise there.
LtrllySusan
lava lamp

GameTheory's editor Ronnie commited suicide a few weeks ago, though they only felt ready to speak about it now.
It's such a strange feeling, cause neither did I know the guy nor was he really a public figure for a casual viewer, but it still affects me in a weird, numbing way. Not quite sure how to process this so I thought maybe writing about it online would help.
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

I don't know if anyone else here watches supersamstuff, but I saw some really appalling and horrific things on twitter from another youtuber who was a close friend of his.
I logged onto twitter today to see this tweet from Luna Leigh, a UK youtuber who makes lifestyle and calligraphy videos. As someone who has been watching Sam for a while now, I'm shocked and horrified. Not to be that person, but I seriously didn't expect this because, as Luna said in her tweet, he's got a "nice guy" reputation. But I guess a lot of people who do shit like this do. I feel so much for Luna and my heart goes out to her. I can't imagine how trapped she must have felt in that situation. It's so fucked up and makes me so mad.
nephilimcat
woodland creature

obsessivelymoody wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:54 pm I don't know if anyone else here watches supersamstuff, but I saw some really appalling and horrific things on twitter from another youtuber who was a close friend of his.
I logged onto twitter today to see this tweet from Luna Leigh, a UK youtuber who makes lifestyle and calligraphy videos. As someone who has been watching Sam for a while now, I'm shocked and horrified. Not to be that person, but I seriously didn't expect this because, as Luna said in her tweet, he's got a "nice guy" reputation. But I guess a lot of people who do shit like this do. I feel so much for Luna and my heart goes out to her. I can't imagine how trapped she must have felt in that situation. It's so fucked up and makes me so mad.
I don't watch either of them but I knew of Sam and based on some collabs I thought of him as a nice guy too. It's just a horrible reminder that a) you never really know what's going on behind the camera and b) no matter how nice a person may seem, they can still do horrible stuff. I'm glad Luna is receiving a lot of support, especially when it comes to people that are seen as good and pure, it must be very hard to get people to take you seriously. Imagine how many more Youtubers have done stuff like this and their victims never spoke up about it, it makes me feel sick.
pulvis et umbra sumus
fieldoflovers
living flop

whatdoiknow wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:18 pm
alien wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:23 pm I used to watch their daily vlogs up until like the last year they were doing them because of how much RJ annoyed me.

Yeah RJ had started to annoy me too. I sunk to reading GG threads last night because I wanted to see if there was any more insight into the situation, and yeah it seems like their mutual friends have mostly taken will's side. Which does make me wonder if rj's tweet was referring to new instances, or just what we already knew about with the alcohol and will's ptsd and all that happened. I wonder if they were honest about that whole situation to begin with.

I also hope dobby's doing well and everything's under control health wise there.
I had no idea this happened, I used to watch them too and I was subscribed to RJ cause of his Ask a Bi Guy series but yeah, I guess you never really know what's going on with people. They really seemed like they were in love, though looking back with the arrest before I'm not all that surprised, I don't think any of these youtube vlogging couples stay together do they? the other shoe always drops.

Also I saw some of RJ's tweets and Will really looks like the "winner" in the breakup, he's more mature and has a stable career and I hope that he's emotionally fine.
alien
procrastinator

fieldoflovers wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:12 pm
whatdoiknow wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:18 pm

I had no idea this happened, I used to watch them too and I was subscribed to RJ cause of his Ask a Bi Guy series but yeah, I guess you never really know what's going on with people. They really seemed like they were in love, though looking back with the arrest before I'm not all that surprised, I don't think any of these youtube vlogging couples stay together do they? the other shoe always drops.

Also I saw some of RJ's tweets and Will really looks like the "winner" in the breakup, he's more mature and has a stable career and I hope that he's emotionally fine.
RJ has been downright desperate (and imo pathetic) on instastories saying that if people fund his movie’s failing Kickstarter he’ll tell all the details about “what really happened” between him and Will. (If I ever sound biased against RJ it’s because there’s something about his personality that I have never liked. I only ever watched for Will).
kavat
pastel persona

This video by Connie is kinda long but is really interesting. She talks about where youtube as a platform is today, why and how it got there. You can tell that she did her research and she has some really good points, imo.

argo
crusty sponge

kavat wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:25 pm This video by Connie is kinda long but is really interesting. She talks about where youtube as a platform is today, why and how it got there. You can tell that she did her research and she has some really good points, imo.

I was just coming here to post that video also lol

I thought it was a really interesting video and reflects how I've been feeling about youtube lately. "So what do you do when you grow out of something? When you don't need it anymore...YOU MOVE ON. You move on. You grow up and you grow out of things and that's fine." really hit me in the heart
kavat
pastel persona

argo wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:04 am
kavat wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:25 pm This video by Connie is kinda long but is really interesting. She talks about where youtube as a platform is today, why and how it got there. You can tell that she did her research and she has some really good points, imo.

I was just coming here to post that video also lol

I thought it was a really interesting video and reflects how I've been feeling about youtube lately. "So what do you do when you grow out of something? When you don't need it anymore...YOU MOVE ON. You move on. You grow up and you grow out of things and that's fine." really hit me in the heart
Yes definitely. People, especially young people, change and often don't enjoy the same things they did five years ago. That doesnt mean it wasn't good, or isn't good anymore, it just means that you've changed and grown. You find new things to like and engage in.

YouTube has changed a lot over the years no doubt about it, but a lot of the OG YouTubers are still around and makes videos. Jenna Marbles, Tyler Oakley, Hanna Hart, Zoella, even deppy all make pretty similar content they did in 2013 but with higher production value. But someone might not enjoy the same things they did in 2013 and that's fine.
sonicgreen
woodland creature

Saw the video on twitter this morning! I thought she made some great points, especially with labeling the 2012-2014 era, “personalities”, its sums up exactly how in my personal opinion those were the best years. Because they were... for fandoms.
sentinel
lady door

Holy fuck you guys, Alex Day, of "I coerce fans" and "I pressure women to do things they are not comfortable with" fame, HAS A BOOK OUT. I randomly came across it - it's called "Living and dying on the internet". You can check it out here (please don't buy it lol). Carrie HF also mailed him to ask him not to disclose personal details of their relationship to which he responded like this:

Anyone have any thoughts?
MythicalPinkTrashCan
phabergé

Oh my heart is breaking for her. I can't even begin to imagine.

My uneducated guess is that since she is showing this happened that maybe she didn't win any legal battles and there is stuff about her in the book? Which is horrifying.

Edit: And now I'm also wondering about the other people. Kristina Horner in particular. Her and I had like mutual friends/Degrees of Kevin Bacon type stuff so it's weird to see it on this forum when it felt like such a small (not the right word) wizard rock problem.