Other YouTubers thread

pearshaped34
morning quiff

stella wrote: second, I wonder why they chose Connor? There are much more successful youtubers, he's not really that popular anymore imo. I'll be interested to read it.
They probably choose Connor because as well as doing youtube and the standard youtuber projects (book, music) he has a record label, a coffee business and a life-style brand.
I mean I'm not actually sure how successful any of those things are and honestly I think they may be a little questionable but on paper he definitely looks and sounds like a very entrepreneurial guy.
bluebox-away
woodland creature
Pronouns: she/her

I really don't know what to think about Louis' NK videos, but he's just released a music video with the iTunes money going to charity work in NK? Thoughts?

06/04/2016 - I found The Weakest Link :ninja:
Gif credit: IckleMissMayhem
mez29
procrastinator

bluebox-away wrote:I really don't know what to think about Louis' NK videos, but he's just released a music video with the iTunes money going to charity work in NK? Thoughts?
The music is a bit dull and Miss Kim looks really awkward, I feel sorry for her that they made her record the singing all those different times. I thought there was a bit of a condescending vibe from them towards her in the vlogs.

As for the actual act of making/posting the video … it seems weird that he didn't really explain why he was going to NK in the first place? Turns out the surf camp's been going for a couple of years and it's linked to the charity, but that's not really spelt out in any of the videos/descriptions. If he'd said straight off that his trip was run by a human rights organisation people probably would have been less quick to criticise him so much (at least to such an extent). He just seems to have taken the wrong angle to something that could have been framed in a way that would have made the trip seem more of a worthy cause. tl;dr I get the impression that he's not very intelligent.
mez29
procrastinator

And here's Emma's video

bluebox-away
woodland creature

Re the music video I think Hector raises a good point about the people in the video consenting to being on YT I actually quite liked Emma's video as it was really informative but she wasn't pretending to be an expert, although not gonna lie wearing a top saying 'it could be worse' seems a bit of an insensitive choice.
06/04/2016 - I found The Weakest Link :ninja:
Gif credit: IckleMissMayhem
RRR98
drama llama

mez29 wrote:And here's Emma's video

I actually like that she made a video I like history and like she said it was brief probably so many things were cut. I never Had the interest to look up North Korean. I liked it
swofro
angel bean

I don't have a concrete opinions I want to express considering I am not an expert on the subject, although I knew of almost all the things Emma said but I think she made a good educational video.

Disclaimer: my country was colonised by both sides during the world wars (we have been colonised longer than we've had independence) so from my super bias pov, neither the allies nor the axis are 'the good side'

But I saw this long comment and I wanna ask what you guys think about it?
Love is forever
Alohomora
tol bean

good on emma for providing another (the other?) side of the story behind North Korea. I think that she did a great job in trying to inform (younger) people about the complicated history, and therefore why Louis' videos shouldn't be trusted as a source on what your average North Korean person's life is like.

Now for my inner history geek to be unleashed, re: swofro's post. *cracks knuckles*

*disclaimer, I am not an expert, just a history student who's read/watched similar material to Emma.
swofro, the comment you posted does bring up valid arguments though. However, I don't think that Emma should be criticised based on what she did (not) mention in her video, as it had a lot more positives than negatives.

About points 2 and 3, part of the reason she probably explained it as she did was due to the books she's read. Blaine Harden (co-author of Escape from Camp 14, which she mentioned reading) is an American journalist who recently published another book on the DPRK, called 'The Great Leader and the Fighter Pilot', which goes into more detail than his previous book on the history of North Korea from the period of the collapse of Japanese Imperialism. This book in particular does present Kim Il-sung as being heavily reliant on the Soviets for his power, and so he needed a cult of personality (Stalin-style, as she said) in order to get people to follow him without question. I'm guessing she has read this as well, hence this was the version of history she provided.

Point 12 is also a bit eh. Yes, Park and Shin have admitted to lying about certain parts of their stories, but there's almost always a bit of truth in a lie. They may not personally have experienced some of the horrors they talked about, but at the end of the day why were their stories considered believable when they were first published? Other parts of their stories also match up with other, more trusted accounts, so they're somewhat useful.

Also, point 9. Seriously? Of course not everything outside Pyongyang is the hell-hole some people make it out to be, but there is a good reason why the vast majority of visitors only see a heavily guided tour around Pyongyang. And to be honest, with these trips outside Pyongyang, they're rare enough that I doubt the government would have trouble organising citizens to essentially stage a performance of 'what life is really like' outside of the capital. In addition, the non-Pyongyang areas (for lack of a better description) shown to visitors are often if not always, well, not that far outside Pyongyang. (Probably only partly due to the fact that they're mostly day-trips.)
tl;dr: the comment isn't wrong, but to me some points seem to be more playing the devil's advocate than actually correcting her.

Again, disclaimer: I am a student, not an expert. Also, I'm not an Emma stan, but at least this video is a better response to a Youtuber controversy than her last attempts.
wtfamidoinghere
lady door

swofro wrote: But I saw this long comment and I wanna ask what you guys think about it?
I'm not an expert in history or politics and i'm always open to learn new perspectives and media bias. However, this person lost all credibility for me when they said that NK doesn't stage anything for tourists and journalists, because it's so blindingly obvious in all the documentairies that the hosts wouldn't even have to say anything.

And i've heard too many stories from North korean refugees to believe they are all making up the same lies. If NK wasn't as bad as we are told by the media, i'd expect to see a lot more average noth koreans outside korea. But people aren't allowed to leave, which is all the proof i need to believe that living there is horrible. And the fact that there is no free internet access raises all kinds of red flags.

I agree that there is hardly ever a good or bad side in war. Korea was used by both sides. However, south koreans are free to go wherever they want now while north koreans are like prisoners in their own country.

But i guess i'm biased too, because i'm german and there's no denying the damage that was done in the DDR and many eastern european countries during soviet times, while my us-occupied part of germany has done very well in that time.

(Not that i'm equating NK and the DDR. The DDR was terrible, but NK sounds next level terrible.)
mez29
procrastinator

Just to add to the debate, not directed at anyone in particular:

Whether or not Kim Il-Sung was elected is irrelevant, the people elected Hitler in the 30s.

(also just as your local anarcho-syndicalist I need to point out that North Korea is not communist, and iirc it hasn't called itself communist for some time now. Juche is a nationalist "application [i.e. distortion] of Marxist-Leninist principles" ( https://web.stanford.edu/group/sjeaa/jo ... korea1.pdf ). People who use "communism" to criticise NK are making a lazy generalisation that tars the international(ist) left with the same brush and ignores the damage caused by nationalism, totalitarianism and the cult of personality, which are all prevalent in NK ideology and practice.)
Just to clarify, I don't consider the post-Lenin USSR or its satellite states a type of communism that should be promoted, unlike Mr "FinnishBolshevik".
jaej
moon room
Pronouns: he/they/idm

"the japanese weren't too kind to koreans during their occupation" please tell me that is intentionally downplaying the issue... the imperial occupation was horrific and still has very very real implications, arguably more so than the korean war had in the south. she mentioned comfort women though, which was surprising. go emma! odd that she put it up 3 days after liberation day then, not a good time to imply japanese support on a video south korean people might see.

no video or documentary on north korea is ever going to portray the real country because so much effort goes into portraying a false image. the country doesn't have tourists but it's pretty much designed to cater to them in a way with hotels designed to look larger and busier, and parks and other things made to say "hey, look, we're a normal country! no starvation, no poverty!" her facts are about as right as they can be given the secrecy of everything, but i'd recommend a little more practice on delivering these kind of things if it's going to be a regular thing she does.
my name is jaejmine masters and i have something to say. dan and phil have fucked up japan :japhan:
phil lester threw the first brick at stonewall, we love a queer icon :biflag:
trashqueen
ar·tic·u·late

so dodie tweeted this: and posted this on snapchat (originally a video): emma blackery is probably jealous*

*did we talk about emma pinning on dodie here or on emma's thread i can't remember
Dan Howell wrote:'[someone] just sent me a message saying 'Phil'..... same'
fancybum
senpai

trashqueen wrote:so dodie tweeted this:
and posted this on snapchat (originally a video):
emma blackery is probably jealous*

*did we talk about emma pinning on dodie here or on emma's thread i can't remember
Yeah jealous she won't get the views/retweets. I don't know anything about noodlerella other than she's now Evan's roommate (along with LukeIsNotSexy, won't that be fun). Is she bi? Straight? I'm not into this when you factor in:
Ew all around really.
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me
trashqueen
ar·tic·u·late

fancybum wrote:
trashqueen wrote:so dodie tweeted this:
and posted this on snapchat (originally a video):
emma blackery is probably jealous*

Yeah jealous she won't get the views/retweets. I don't know anything about noodlerella other than she's now Evan's roommate (along with LukeIsNotSexy, won't that be fun). Is she bi? Straight? I'm not into this when you factor in:
Ew all around really.
connie's bi too, but i definitely don't think they are dating or anything, they were def just kissing for the lols, i genuinely don't see anything wrong with that (hell i'm down for kissing dodie for the lols where do i sign up) except for the unnecessary phan mention but this is evan we're talking about what can you expect
Dan Howell wrote:'[someone] just sent me a message saying 'Phil'..... same'
fancybum
senpai

trashqueen wrote: connie's bi too, but i definitely don't think they are dating or anything, they were def just kissing for the lols, i genuinely don't see anything wrong with that (hell i'm down for kissing dodie for the lols where do i sign up) except for the unnecessary phan mention but this is evan we're talking about what can you expect
Ok her being bi too helps things, good to know. My problem is more so the gross straight guy pushing girls to kiss for his own male-gaze enjoyment and proxy-attention on social media. I just want to take this time to assure everybody: I'm definitely no fun at parties.
sia
living flop

fancybum wrote:
trashqueen wrote: connie's bi too, but i definitely don't think they are dating or anything, they were def just kissing for the lols, i genuinely don't see anything wrong with that (hell i'm down for kissing dodie for the lols where do i sign up) except for the unnecessary phan mention but this is evan we're talking about what can you expect
Ok her being bi too helps things, good to know. My problem is more so the gross straight guy pushing girls to kiss for his own male-gaze enjoyment and proxy-attention on social media. I just want to take this time to assure everybody: I'm definitely no fun at parties.
You are aware there is video proof of both Phil and Dan pressuring random girls to make out for the camera? Both videos are now deleted, so they are a bit more educated now? :lol:
fancybum
senpai

sia wrote: You are aware there is video proof of both Phil and Dan pressuring random girls to make out for the camera? Both videos are now deleted, so they are a bit more educated now? :lol:
Maybe I'd care if they did it in the last couple of days, but they didn't. Evan did, and I found it gross. What conversation is happening here?
sia
living flop

fancybum wrote:
sia wrote: You are aware there is video proof of both Phil and Dan pressuring random girls to make out for the camera? Both videos are now deleted, so they are a bit more educated now? :lol:
Maybe I'd care if they did it in the last couple of days, but they didn't. Evan did, and I found it gross. What conversation is happening here?

I guess I'm just trying to play devil's advocate :thumb: Not that I like Evan or anything but he just doesn't strike me as some sexistic manly man that believes samesex female couples only exist for his pleasure
RRR98
drama llama

fancybum wrote:
Could be they have been eyeing each other and Evan has seen it and is like just kiss already
fancybum
senpai

RRR98 wrote: Could be they have been eyeing each other and Evan has seen it and is like just kiss already
:lol: Yes! I don't at all think they did something they didn't want to do themselves or would have given into pressure they weren't comfortable with, I know they're all friends. I just think Evan is gross, that's really all this comes down to, lol. I'm all for attractive youtubers making out, don't get me wrong, just keep Evan out of it is all I'm saying. He ruins the mood.
@ Evan: :gg:
RRR98
drama llama

fancybum wrote:
RRR98 wrote: Could be they have been eyeing each other and Evan has seen it and is like just kiss already
:lol: Yes! I don't at all think they did something they didn't want to do themselves or would have given into pressure they weren't comfortable with, I know they're all friends. I just think Evan is gross, that's really all this comes down to, lol. I'm all for attractive youtubers making out, don't get me wrong, just keep Evan out of it is all I'm saying. He ruins the mood.
@ Evan: :gg:
Makes total sense
DryCereal
koi pond

IckleMissMayhem's evil fic writing alter ego. :twisted:
Ticia
suspended
Pronouns: her / she

PERFORMANCE AWARDS. ACTOR: Chris Kendall, Oscar’s Hotel for Fantastical Creatures

Oscar’s Hotel is also nominated for "Ensemble Cast" and "Costume Design", and PJ for Directing.
fancybum
senpai

Mark and Felix:

Me:

Listen, I like jokes. I like to lol. But this is... no... not working for me. But it's basically what I would expect from some actual straight bros making a joke of same-sex shipping... wink nudge etc

These tweets annoyed me though, so here they are for history.
ravenreyes
sofa crease

fancybum, i like both of them most of the time but i'm really not surprised, ugh. :roll:
both of those tweets annoy me for different reasons.
english is not my first language