Tech & Web Help Thread

human
dan hand trash

Hi hi hi!

I know there's a few other nerds on this forum, so I thought it would be cool to have an OT thread for anybody with computer problems, mobile device problems, internet problems or anything like that where they can post for help and receive advice and assistance from fellow users.

I'm going to start it off: Has anyone else updated to iOS 9.3? I have on my iPhone 6 but not my iPad mini and since I did, Safari has started acting odd. One example is that usually I could hold down on links to generate the "open in new tab" pop-up option but that has now stopped working. It tends to crash the whole browser when I hold down on a link too which is irritating; I've had to move to Chrome which as a big OS X and iOS fan (for home computing), is a bit of a blow. I'm also just finding this release of Safari a bit glitchy.

PLUS! Today I've noticed my Touch ID is tetchy and 50/50 recognises me fingerprints, and even basic touch screen functionality is not without fault. I keep managing to get stuck in the Spotlight search screen scrolling left by accident and being unable to scroll right out of it. Also struggling to move the cursor around by tapping or pressing and holding in text boxes which is REALLY irritating. Not impressed.
kooshka
living flop

Cool, I just needed a thread like this! If anyone here is a smartphone nerd, I'm in dire need of recommendations. My current phone is breaking apart and I need to get a new one, but my budget is only around ~300 euros. Does anyone have any experience with Oneplusone (especially the x version) or other cheaper brands, like Xiaomi? i don't really have any other requiments than a nice camera, a sufficient amount of internal memory and more ram than 1gb (like my current phone has and the browser crashes just from browsing Imgur or watching a YT video that's longer than 10 minutes, it's a pain in the bum).
swofro
angel bean
Pronouns: she/her

kooshka wrote:Cool, I just needed a thread like this! If anyone here is a smartphone nerd, I'm in dire need of recommendations. My current phone is breaking apart and I need to get a new one, but my budget is only around ~300 euros. Does anyone have any experience with Oneplusone (especially the x version) or other cheaper brands, like Xiaomi? i don't really have any other requiments than a nice camera, a sufficient amount of internal memory and more ram than 1gb (like my current phone has and the browser crashes just from browsing Imgur or watching a YT video that's longer than 10 minutes, it's a pain in the bum).
I have been using sony xperia my whole life. The old ones were shit but the new one are okay, I guess. I used to have Xperia L and now using Z2 because I drop the old one into a basin of water, so I guess why not buy a new water resistant one. Haha.

Anyway, I recommend Xperia M5 that was launch last year. I check the price in gbp, around 270. So maybe you need like another 50 euro? sorry for my trash advice
Love is forever
Starlighthugs
tol bean

If anyone ever needs any help with sound editing/sound in general I'm happy to help out! I'm currently in my second year of university studying Creative Music Technology so I can maybe help out with some coding issues if need be, but it's not my strongest point. :)
jhamba
procrastinator

I want to get a domain name and some hosting, but I can't justify it to myself, because I am terrible at creating content :(

I would transfer this site to a hosting, but it would take too much time and effort, and idk if the downtime is worth it.

just sharing my tech-y sadness, I guess. is that allowed here? is that OT? who knows?
Just trying to spread the Dangirl agenda
human
dan hand trash

jhambs, you could just get a domain name and point it at a tumblr account. Webhosting isn't as popular for site owners as it used to be when there are other great platforms you can just point to.

In terms of transferring this place to hosting, it would be nice. The transfer would be quick but yeah the downtime is the pain. I think prophpbb do a paid solution though, maybe we could just look at that instead?
Anonymousse
flower crown
Pronouns: Any

kooshka wrote:Cool, I just needed a thread like this! If anyone here is a smartphone nerd, I'm in dire need of recommendations. My current phone is breaking apart and I need to get a new one, but my budget is only around ~300 euros.
I personally like the LG G-series. I currently own the "tiny" LG G3 S, which cost me like... 120 Euros? last year. The S-model is not the best find atm, I just needed to get away from my VERY OLD Lumia phone and it was a lot better than any other ones at that price, but I have gotten my hands on a regular LG G3 and it was really-really good imho.

The LG G4 came out (last year?)... It's hard for me to find a good place search, but the price point seems to be around and below 300 euros.

But always do your research.
http://www.androidcentral.com/lg-g4

But who the fuck am I kidding? I'm mostly just the rotting banana peel at the bottom of the phan trash can who genuinely gets excited over the thought of them snuggling in bed. Idgaf let a bitch live
- Manged

jhamba
procrastinator

human wrote:jhambs, you could just get a domain name and point it at a tumblr account. Webhosting isn't as popular for site owners as it used to be when there are other great platforms you can just point to.

In terms of transferring this place to hosting, it would be nice. The transfer would be quick but yeah the downtime is the pain. I think prophpbb do a paid solution though, maybe we could just look at that instead?
yeah, literally. my sister even has her resume on tumblr. tumblr is a pretty great website, tbh. But, I enjoy the power hosting seems to give me, which is why it's totally unjustified, lol.

the paid solution doesn't seem that great, comparatively. we can't add the mods we'd want to add, like the thanks button, or new themes which we've made. the paid solution is mostly to remove the ads, which I don't think are that disruptive. (ofc, I just don't have problems with ads in general, so I may be biased).
Just trying to spread the Dangirl agenda
Anonymousse
flower crown

Tumblr got hacked, Linkedin got hacked, Myspace got hacked, Neopets got hacked.

That last one surprised me the most I guess.

Now what are YOU going to do about the information? Well probably change the password on those websites. But no, what you should be doing is change the password to your e-mail accounts. Tbh nobody gives a shit about your Tumblr that has 10K+ followers or something, people who are buying these e-mail/password combinations (oh sorry I didn't mention that these combos are on sale) they want your identity or your money... usually both.

So go on, change the password on all of your e-mail accounts and only use them on those accounts. Oh what is that? "sfo85nd02tcniu93Riasdg/js" is too complicated to remember? Well, 14+ letters, 1 symbol, 1 capital letter and 1 number is enough to make figuring out your password too hard to be bothered with.

for example:
phanistotallyreal has 17 letters, #Phan1sTotallyReal works with these rules (inb4 half of the forum uses that password in 24 hours)

GO CHANGE YA E-MAIL PASSWORDS NOW

So now you have your password(s) in check (if you have more e-mail accounts please use unique passwords for those accounts specifically, everything else on the web really doesn't matter as much [expect banking stuff]), what do you do now?

Firstly, most e-mail providers have an activity log where you can check the last places that you have been logged in, doo itttt. If you use a proxy then good luck figuring out what could possibly be your login.

Secondly all that two step verification bullshit and phone number recognition that google asks for you every month, use it if you can.

Thirdly, set up new login notifications at least to your other e-mail address (If you don't have that, use phone notifications - they don't cost you shit and keep you safe) and e-mail usage recovery to your other e-mail address.

If you have any questions, ask.

And if you still haven't changed your password(s), do it.

But who the fuck am I kidding? I'm mostly just the rotting banana peel at the bottom of the phan trash can who genuinely gets excited over the thought of them snuggling in bed. Idgaf let a bitch live
- Manged

Ticia
suspended
Pronouns: her / she

Thank you dear :platonic: how did you know about the hacking?
Anonymousse
flower crown

Ticia wrote:Thank you dear :platonic: how did you know about the hacking?
Some of them outed by news sites, some of them sent e-mails.

- Manged

corn flakes
moon room

Ok mum I changed it , but no seriously
English is not my first language: half of the mistakes are typos ,half are me
Anonymousse
flower crown

I noticed that a certain Youtuber's Myspace was also hacked.

Change ya passwords

- Manged

adequate duck
cheeky #spon
Pronouns: she/they

i tend to re-use the same passwords but with a different letter or combo ( for example: the second and third letters in the name of the site 'um' for tumblr, 'wi' for twitter etc) in the middle of the password (and if i have more than one account, a number too), so my passwords are unique but also easily memorable. I have different 'tiers' of passwords (and usernames). Banking/taxes, for example, have completely different ones to each other and anything else. Then email/important things have a different set of passwords, then accounts i use frequently, then everything else (it's a little more complicated than this, but hopefully you get the idea)

(also try to avoid "mother's maiden name" as a security question as the info can often be found easily if someone wants to look. perhaps that's being overly careful, but still it can't hurt)
"don't respect any ducks" - phil lester