Offtopic thread

swofro
angel bean
Pronouns: she/her

I am so impressed with everyone's language skills. I agree that language is easier to learn when you are young. but I think my kindergarten teacher lies when she said I am good in English. I speak a few languages myself.

1st - Native. It is an old language and there are two different accents of the language depending where you live and from which tribe you are descendant of. It still puzzles me sometimes when I can't understand what a person from opposite tribe is saying and resorts to talk in national language. Lol.is it tribe? I have no better word to explain it

2nd - National language. Basically what the people in my country speaks.

3rd - English.

4th - Arabic. I learn Arabic through primary school but I treat it as a lolzor back then and regret it so much. I think I only know numbers, colours and greetings now.

5th - French. Used to be good at it but haven't practice it in a loooong time so I am no better than Phil's 'je mange le petit enfant'

I wish I have motivation to still learn languages. My brother is quite good in Japanese because his best friend studies there but I never take the opportunity to learn it myself too.
Love is forever
PolarFox
truth bomb

ironic wrote:
Anonymousse wrote: It's very difficult to be gender neutral in English and that makes me a bit angry. And even the fact that I have to use the term "gender neutral" for language is foreign to me.
That's interesting! I find it much easier to be gender neutral in English than in my native language because
PolarFox wrote:My native is gendered in like EVERY SINGLE ASPECT
same. It can be really frustrating, I guess grammatically too for people trying to learn Polish (though it's probably not the trickiest thing about it), but mostly socially, for those who care.
Ohhhh, neighbour! Polish has the most interesting grammar ever, tbf. And it's gendered alot too, I feel. My father tried to teach me Polish, but I don't even know why I never did. I still understand at least. I think. I mean, I live 30 mins of car ride from Poland, I should :D
And that reminds me of that gem of a vid that my father has shown me some time ago:
Awww! You clicked on my signature!
mintsans
sofa crease

I wonder if it's a trait of languages that are related that their words are gendered, because from what I've seen most romance languages are heavily gendered. Like in my native Spanish, I can't imply a train character in Thomas the Tank Engine is female because it's grammatically incorrect :lol: The grammar is quite easy to understand I think though, the only tricky part is written accentuation but there are set rules and very little exceptions to these rules.

I am merely bilingual and I learned English via books and movies. I've been on several programs to actually learn the language but I've never finished them because they're so boring. I can understand written English perfectly, and I think I can communicate quite well (except for the occasional foot-in-mouth or typo...) but actually speaking it is THE WORST. I'm so self conscious my funny accent :facepalm:

For those of you who speak several languages, do you associate certain aspects of your interactions with other people and parts of your personality with individual languages? For example, your native language could be German but when angry you think/speak in French, etc. I'm very very interested in these kinds of experiences.
Anonymousse
flower crown
Pronouns: Any

mintsans wrote:
For those of you who speak several languages, do you associate certain aspects of your interactions with other people and parts of your personality with individual languages? For example, your native language could be German but when angry you think/speak in French, etc. I'm very very interested in these kinds of experiences.
Yes, yes SO MUCH YES.

I have different emotional connections to different languages. I have friends to whom I speak in different languages, and I have always found English to be the language I feel the most "open" in. I feel the most emotionally connected in my native, and I swear in Russian (all the time...).

I tend to have friends who speak English a lot better than the average native, and when I have to talk about serious topics, I feel like I can emotionally detach myself from the seriousness of the topic when I use English
and they completely go along with it.

But who the fuck am I kidding? I'm mostly just the rotting banana peel at the bottom of the phan trash can who genuinely gets excited over the thought of them snuggling in bed. Idgaf let a bitch live
- Manged

DryCereal
koi pond

Anonymousse wrote:
mintsans wrote:
Yes, yes SO MUCH YES.

I have different emotional connections to different languages. I have friends to whom I speak in different languages, and I have always found English to be the language I feel the most "open" in. I feel the most emotionally connected in my native, and I swear in Russian (all the time...).

I tend to have friends who speak English a lot better than the average native, and when I have to talk about serious topics, I feel like I can emotionally detach myself from the seriousness of the topic when I use English
and they completely go along with it.
anything strongly emotion-ed or immediate tends to be strictly English. That includes swearing, but apparently my drunk/sleepy/talking in my sleep (yup, apparently I do that!) French has come on in leaps and bounds according to my partner, so...!
For now at least, I tend to feel most "open/relaxed" in French, mainly because it's what we usually talk to each other in, especially when we're not together. (Unless he's somewhere francophone, and wants at least the semblance of privacy, in which case he'll start the conversation in English. I need to really start seriously working on my Spanish. Dem guilt feels...!)
Having an A&E nurse walk in on you mid-conversation in fluent French after you've just spent the past 20 mins trying to reassure them all that you "really don't have any symptoms of a head injury please don't put me in the scary scanner" will never not be funny. Ever. They made me go for the scan anyway.
IckleMissMayhem's evil fic writing alter ego. :twisted:
PolarFox
truth bomb

mintsans wrote: For those of you who speak several languages, do you associate certain aspects of your interactions with other people and parts of your personality with individual languages? For example, your native language could be German but when angry you think/speak in French, etc. I'm very very interested in these kinds of experiences.
Yes! Same as Anonymousse I feel the most open in english. And I mind uncomfortable conversations much less in english and I feel less bad when swearing. Like I feel less offended by slurs/swear words in english too. If someone was to call me by gender/sexuality/you know what slurs I'm thinking in english, I'd laugh at them, but if they do that in my native, I feel like commiting homicide. But on that note, I sometimes when swearing in native, I use the polish "accent/pronounciation" on some swear words that are same/similar in polish and my native. Probably my dad's doing.
I don't use spanish much, but I sometimes mumble to myself in very very broken spanish.
And my native is weird. I like speaking it, it's pretty, but I have the need to insert other languages when I would like to use some idioms. But I do that in all languages. Also my native in explicit form sounds incredibly creepy and weird to me. Idk why. But if I come across smut/dirty talk/anything like that I feel like it's just horrible and ugh don't.
But yeah, I feel like different person speaking native, english or even my broken spanish. It's interesting to say at least.
Awww! You clicked on my signature!
bluebox-away
woodland creature

mintsans wrote: For those of you who speak several languages, do you associate certain aspects of your interactions with other people and parts of your personality with individual languages? For example, your native language could be German but when angry you think/speak in French, etc. I'm very very interested in these kinds of experiences.
Hmm that's an interesting one.. Apart from my Russian which is really new and my Spanish which is quite rusty, I'm not far off equally fluent in English, Dutch and French and from what I've heard sleep talk in them interchangeably, which confuses a lot of people. Day to day I use English the most, but I find French a better language to express anger in so I will quite often think and swear in French. Mostly there's not that much of a difference in how I feel about each language, I just kind of flip a switch in my brain to use whichever one is most relevant to what I'm doing. This might be because I learned them all at around the same time, I'm not too sure really.. I sometimes get lost in my own head thinking in the wrong language for a situation and then rapidly speak at a friend who has no idea what I am saying :lol:
06/04/2016 - I found The Weakest Link :ninja:
Gif credit: IckleMissMayhem
swofro
angel bean

mintsans wrote:For those of you who speak several languages, do you associate certain aspects of your interactions with other people and parts of your personality with individual languages? For example, your native language could be German but when angry you think/speak in French, etc. I'm very very interested in these kinds of experiences.
When I am trying to put my point across, especially in argument, I always resort in my own language because damn, it is a very colourful language.
But when it comes to emotional things, I always think and talk in English. I have no idea why, but I have a hunch that it is because my own language is too intimate. We have at least three words that can mean love, that can be used in the context 'I love you'. Man, that is too uncomfortable for me to deal with. :?
I curse mostly in English because my own cursing word is very harsh and I feel really bad when I say one. :tsk:
Love is forever
ironic
lady door

PolarFox wrote: Ohhhh, neighbour! Polish has the most interesting grammar ever, tbf. And it's gendered alot too, I feel. My father tried to teach me Polish, but I don't even know why I never did. I still understand at least. I think. I mean, I live 30 mins of car ride from Poland, I should :D
And that reminds me of that gem of a vid that my father has shown me some time ago:
Ahah, this video is a classic :D
Have you mentioned from which country you are exactly? (sorry)
swofro wrote: I curse mostly in English because my own cursing word is very harsh and I feel really bad when I say one. :tsk:
I do the opposite... I mostly swear in my native language because it sounds more harsh. I only do that when I'm really angry, though.
If we all just traded in our knives for cakes, the world would be a better place.
angrymob
hobbit hair

swofro wrote: I curse mostly in English because my own cursing word is very harsh and I feel really bad when I say one. :tsk:
It's common for people where I live to curse in their second language both ways as a less severe way of swearing (so French peeps cursing in English, and English peeps cursing in French), mostly because it doesn't mean as much in your second language. That coupled with my complete lack of attachment to the Catholic church has left me with a few strange looks when I forget I'm in the company of Francophones. :lol: I also sometimes enjoy translating the French swear words directly into English as an even more mild swear.
DryCereal
koi pond

ironic wrote:
I do the opposite... I mostly swear in my native language because it sounds more harsh. I only do that when I'm really angry, though.
See, I don't swear much/at all when I'm actually angry. Mildly irritated, yes. Angry? I'm outwardly very quiet and calm. And, so I've been told, terrifying. :twisted:
Anonymousse
flower crown

I wonder if Dan has anonymously written a fanfic about him and Phil...

...or even vice versa? :oops:

Just thoughts..

bye
But who the fuck am I kidding? I'm mostly just the rotting banana peel at the bottom of the phan trash can who genuinely gets excited over the thought of them snuggling in bed. Idgaf let a bitch live
- Manged

SquishPhan
capita£ester

Anonymousse wrote:I wonder if Dan has anonymously written a fanfic about him and Phil...

Just thoughts..

bye
Wouldn't surprise me after he wrote The Urge, that was too good for it to be his first. ;)
angrymob
hobbit hair

SquishPhan wrote:
Anonymousse wrote:I wonder if Dan has anonymously written a fanfic about him and Phil...

Just thoughts..

bye
Wouldn't surprise me after he wrote The Urge, that was too good for it to be his first. ;)
What? I thought The Urge was purposely badly written. I thought that was the joke, otherwise Dan basically just wrote self-insert Twilight fanfiction. Is this what I've been missing all this time when people were joking about it?!
Anonymousse
flower crown

I should've never started reading fics,

help,

I can't stop,

I need an intervention. :sobs:

- Manged

angrymob
hobbit hair

Anonymousse wrote:I should've never started reading fics,

help,

I can't stop,

Well, it could be worse. Like Dan says, you could be snorting coke off a hobo's back. I'm still waiting for your edits, though. I'm tempted to just draw some of that stuff , but I don't usually draw shirtless men, so that could end worse than my photoshopping.
jiggly
phillion/danosaur <//3

i find the language discussion interesting because for me personally english is hella less gendered than any other language i've learnt. mainly my native language, it's hard to talk to gender neutral person and not sound like you're refering to them as 'it' which sucks a lot :( we could use 'they/them' pronouns but it's a special form that's been used ages ago (and still is used on a countryside for example, yeah not really the best way to talk to a person i think).

i mostly think in english, sometimes when i'm angry i switch to german, although i never swear in english, i kind of don't like it because i know some people who swear in english and think it's not as bad as swearing in your native language, which is ridiculous. poza tym nie ma to jak siarczysta wiazanka rano w samochodzie.

count me in, i also need an intervention. i should be banned from ao3, this site will be the end of me. i've had way too many sleepless nights because someone has decided to write 100k words about my otp with a perfect dynamic.
loststars
living flop

Up until last year I was reading too much from this stupidly addictive site whyhhyy :wtf: First it was ASOIAF, then tv-shows, then some dp, not gonna lie..

and while I've been rolling in the fandom depths other people are reading actual books :oops:
(c)itscomicdans
mintsans
sofa crease

I've always wanted to learn french just to be able to be angry in french, you know? Also Italian, I think it sounds cool.

help,

I can't stop,

The worst is when you mention in conversation being very into reading but when they ask you what book are you reading you blank and really think about if you're willing to give up that kind of information...

I mean it's perfectly fine to read fanfic because some of it is extremely well written, but what if you're currently reading really old Harry Potter crackfic :oops: (that Hogwarts castle/Giant Squid smut fic, man)
icklebrina
living flop

mintsans wrote:

help,

I can't stop,

The worst is when you mention in conversation being very into reading but when they ask you what book are you reading you blank and really think about if you're willing to give up that kind of information...

I mean it's perfectly fine to read fanfic because some of it is extremely well written, but what if you're currently reading really old Harry Potter crackfic :oops: (that Hogwarts castle/Giant Squid smut fic, man)
:lol: :lol: YES. So many times. I've hated people asking me about what I was reading since I was little, (especially WHILE I was reading - clearly I was busy!), but once I started reading fanfic the question just became so much worse. Do I answer? Do I tell the truth? Do I make something up? hahaha
I usually go for telling them the genre or a brief summary and just leaving it at that unless they already know I read fanfic - oh it's about someone accidentally travelling in time! Oh, it's a fantasy story, it's pretty good so far!
Anonymousse
flower crown

mintsans wrote:

I don't usually say that I'm into reading, because I like 10 other thinks more than reading... And I don't really talk to strangers that much.

But holy crap how well some of those (DnP fanfics) are written, I'm really-really surprised.

---

I'm going to defend my seminars work today... I'm so jittery I can't even think hetero.

<- I'm actually drinking coffee from a cup that looks like that.
- Manged

Cora
eclipse shirt
Pronouns: She/Her/Ugh

How I know I'm in too deep to the phandom:

I saw this trending news story floating around and you all know *exactly* what the first thing to pop in my head was...

spider
ar·tic·u·late

Anonymousse wrote:I'm going to defend my seminars work today... I'm so jittery I can't even think hetero.
That's fantastic. :lol: Definitely going to steal that sometime. How did it go?
DryCereal
koi pond

Sister Daniel is praying for all you fanfic sinners. Bless your souls.
cora808 wrote:How I know I'm in too deep to the phandom:

I saw this trending news story floating around and you all know *exactly* what the first thing to pop in my head was...

That's all kinds of gigglesnorting brilliant!
mintsans
sofa crease

I wish fanfic tropes were more mainstream, it's the easiest way to the describe the plot of most things!

Other ppl: so what's Jane Eyre about?
Me: ohhh slow burn gen het governess au, bro
cora808 wrote:How I know I'm in too deep to the phandom:

Omg i thought the same! apart from homosexual behaviour across the animal kingdom being interesting itself, I wonder if Phil would mention it at all!

---

I'm so sick of my own voice after recording and editing myself teaching a quite long course at work today (technically yesterday, as it's 4am here...). I don't know how those two deal with editing really long videos. Ack.