Beauty Thread

internetakeover
lady door
Pronouns: they/them

Ticia wrote:Quite off topic: do you have any beauty and fashion Yters to recommend? Preferably British or European
I don't watch too many beauty/fashion YTers but I adore Fleur de Force, and Sammi Maria from beautycrush is lovely too.

Also delighted that colourpop is now out in the UK, my sister and I placed an order within 24 hours of them starting shipping to the UK, oops.
kuensukki
janice from the shop

How did I just discover this golden thread ?!!!

Best skincare routine (10 minutes) massage face for 3.5 minutes with coconut oil making sure it gets into all the nooks and seeps into pores, 3.5 minutes of massaging face with hot/lukewarm water to remove oil, use any face wash (I use shiseido ) and massage foamy face wash, for the last 3 minutes use cold water and massage face. Honestly it clears out all pores and prevents any breakout. Afterwards you can see how clean you face becomes. Also I've had friends with dry and oily skin use it and it's still magic, it takes some time but it's worth it

If you wake up with zit or pimple: take 3 cubes of ice and wrap foil around it and put it in plastic bag. Hold that on the zit for as long as you can handle it. Keep repeating this cycles until it feels numb. Put a huge dab of minty toothpaste (I don't know why this works but it does, trust me). If you have to go out in public put concealer on area. Repeat this for 2 days and the zit will be gone (atleast it works for me :lol: )

A good moisturizer is ibuki shiseido (buy the face wash and moisturizer)

Best foundation for me is Estée Lauder but even maybelline fitme works really well!

My go to blush (this is my life it is sooooo good) is the Maybelline baby skin cheek flush in "pop of peach" its a bright, highlighter-like blush that makes you shine and works with every skin tone and is subtle so it gives you a nice glow

Concealer: what's a college student without concealer?? That answer is too terrifying to consider :shock: my fave concealer is the Maybelline Fitme concealer. What works for it is that it isn't heavy or streaky and doesn't dry out skin.

Favorite mascara: Clinique is amazing in mascaras, protip go on eBay and get the sample sized mascaras for only $4-9. Honestly they last me forever and are so affordable

Brows: I prefer straight brows because they work with my eye shape. I like using NYC pencil in dark brown and just bringing in my brows towards my nose to elongate them.

Honestly above makeup your skin is the most important and it's better for it to be healthy and springy which is why I limit my use of skin makeup and instead go for sunscreen and a tiny bit of foundation.
Amelie
delia smith

kuensukki wrote:Best skincare routine (10 minutes) massage face for 3.5 minutes with coconut oil making sure it gets into all the nooks and seeps into pores, 3.5 minutes of massaging face with hot/lukewarm water to remove oil, use any face wash (I use shiseido ) and massage foamy face wash, for the last 3 minutes use cold water and massage face. Honestly it clears out all pores and prevents any breakout. Afterwards you can see how clean you face becomes. Also I've had friends with dry and oily skin use it and it's still magic, it takes some time but it's worth it
Even though I'm incredibly lazy when it comes to skin care I might even try to do this. My skin is so oily and full of breakouts at the moment and I'm coming into summer so its not getting any better :cry: . I've never heard of coconut oil being used on the face before.

My favourite thing with beauty is colour correcting (especially the green one) as I find that this combined with concealer is generally enough as a daily light coverage. My go-to concealer is the Rimmel Wake me up as I find that most others crease under my eyes, including the nars concealer that everyone raves about (cue the disappointment :sideeye: )
bear
hobbit hair
Pronouns: she/her

I'm in love with this thread.
Okay, I have really oily skin and I want to get it as clear as possible.
Would the coconut oil help? Or is it just adding more oil to your face?
Does anyone else have some good tips for oily skin? Thanks
human
dan hand trash

bear wrote:I'm in love with this thread.
Stop drinking/eating dairy 8-) I know it sounds drastic and it is, but give it a try for 2 weeks and see the oils rapidly reduce. It's been a life saver for me and when I started seeing my dermatologist, they told me it's the first thing they tell people to stop consuming. You wouldn't even believe the improvement it's made in my skin; almond skin tastes a heck of a lot better anyway.

Once you get your natural oils under control minus the outside influence of diet, you'll probably find your skin responds better to natural oils like coconut oil. I use it to remove my make-up and usually leave it on my skin for about 10 minutes as well and it doesn't make my skin oily at all in the long run, just really soft and calmer in discolouration in general. It's great for the skin, I love it.
Philena
blobfish

I agree with dairy, 100%. I use extra virgin olive oil as a makeup remover/moisturizer. My face always breaks out if I try coconut oil, though I use it all over my body and hair. Evoo is my lifesaver!
kuensukki
janice from the shop

bear wrote:I'm in love with this thread.

The coconut oil routine works for both types of skin since you massage it then rinse it off twice, once with cold water and once with hot and in addition use a foamy cleanser which removes any excess oil. I recommend the shisiedo face wash as its very deep cleaning. At the end you moisterize if you have dry skin or you dont if you have oily
Galactic-Howell
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

This thread.

I go with a pretty simple makeup look most days, my favourite products include:

- Ready Set Gorgeous concealer by Maybelline in Fair
- Physician's Formula pressed powder in fair 01
- Maybelline 'The Blushed Nudes' Palette (Seriously, this palette is great especially for the price)
- Eyeliner brand varies for me, I always pick liquid however.
- NARS Matte lip pencil 'Dragon Girl'
Or
- NYX lip liner in 'Nutmeg'

As for mascara, I usually skip this step as I have quite long eyelashes already.

Lately I have been looking for a red/teracotta eye shadow as I have green eyes, but have had trouble finding that specific shade. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Wholesome doggo shitposting through life.
You may also call me Gal!
loststars
living flop

Galactic-Howell wrote: Lately I have been looking for a red/teracotta eye shadow as I have green eyes, but have had trouble finding that specific shade. Does anyone have any suggestions?
I quite like Sleek's Sunset palette. It has quite a few reddish/orangey shades and the quality is pretty great! They're beautiful and long lasting. And the metallic quality saves them from being too "I-have-a-black-eye"-like :D

(c)itscomicdans
human
dan hand trash

Galactic-Howell wrote:Lately I have been looking for a red/teracotta eye shadow as I have green eyes, but have had trouble finding that specific shade. Does anyone have any suggestions?
As a fellow green eyed human being, I can recommend Kat Von D's eyeshadow in Doce which I just got the other day. It's gorgeous! I want to buy more but only a couple of the shades are vegan at the moment. Her whole range is meant to be vegan eventually.

It looks like this on. Gorgeous.
Poe
rainbow nerd

Galactic-Howell wrote:Lately I have been looking for a red/teracotta eye shadow as I have green eyes, but have had trouble finding that specific shade. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Try the Anastasia Beverly Hills Modern Renaissance palette. It has red/orange-y undertones and shades and it would look absolutely superb with green eyes. The palette has 14 shades and 11 of them are matte and the other 3 are metallic/ shinny
I have a little problem with my skin and I thought you guys could help me out with it. So I have a combination-to-oily skin (around the cheeks area and on my t-zone it's oily but below my cheekbones and on my temples and between my eyebrows it's dry and sometimes flaky) and I have a lot of texture as of lately. I was wondering if there is some way to get rid or at least minimize the texture? It looks like I have layers and layers of powder on it but it's stuck in the fluff on my face :/
loststars
living flop

Poe wrote: I have a little problem with my skin and I thought you guys could help me out with it. So I have a combination-to-oily skin (around the cheeks area and on my t-zone it's oily but below my cheekbones and on my temples and between my eyebrows it's dry and sometimes flaky) and I have a lot of texture as of lately. I was wondering if there is some way to get rid or at least minimize the texture? It looks like I have layers and layers of powder on it but it's stuck in the fluff on my face :/
Have you tried any peels? I've had good results with a glycolic acid peel, specifically Collistar Pure Actives but there are heaps of similar products out there. I was also thinking of trying some of makeupartistschoice's peels.. I also recommend the Olay (Olaz in Holland) dupe for Clarisonic - it works really well in exfoliating, the skin feels very fresh afterwards. For makeup, KIKO's loose fixing powder makes the skin visibly smoother! It's not drying and after some hours you might need to blot. It still looks great though on the oily areas!
(c)itscomicdans
boredtears
squish

Such a good thread!

I kind of hopped on the Korean skincare trend earlier this year when I was struggling with cystic acne/left over scarring
Routine:
The Face Shop Rice Water Light Cleansing Oil
Cerave Foaming Cleanser (I'm switching to the hydrating one next tho
Cosrx Clarifying Treatment Toner
Cosrx Galactomyces Essence
Benton Snail Bee High Content Essence
Scinic Honey AIO Ampoule
Benton Aloe Propolic Soothing Gel
Benton Steam Cream
Innisfree Triple Care Sunscreen SPF50+

Occasionally I used the Dr G Brightening Peeling Gel to exfoliate, you put it on your face and massage really gently and all the dead skin basically rolls off, it looks metal af

I also love the Aussie brand Swisse - the Manuka Honey Mask, CoQ10 cream and Argan eye cream are all amazing. Also Aussies, you can get a 20% azelaic acid lotion (Ego Azclear Action Lotion) from behind the counter at Chem Warehouse (no prescription needed) for like $11.00 (warning that a lil bit goes a loong way)
In terms of hyperpigmentation/acne scarring, I mainly use stuff with niacinamide, liquorice root and azelaic acid to slowly fade it over time. I sometimes use Vit C/want to get more in the future but it seems like a bit of a minefield in terms of price/shipping/formulation so I'm kind of putting it off tbh
fancy_nancy
phabergé

I read somewhere that you should do a vinager rinse after rinsing out hair dye, does anyone know if this actually does something? Im using manic panic in voodo blue btw
jhamba
procrastinator

fancy_nancy wrote:I read somewhere that you should do a vinager rinse after rinsing out hair dye, does anyone know if this actually does something? Im using manic panic in voodo blue btw
vinegar rinses smooth the cuticles in the hair, and it is a natural way to condition your hair. The smoother cuticles will also make the dye rinse off more easily.
Just trying to spread the Dangirl agenda
lishachi
eclipse shirt

woowoooo I love this thread! makeup is my jam.

ok so bit of backstory: I have had acne since I was 15/16. I have been on numerous pills and creams and gels and it's not gone away, it is much less severe but is something I probably may always have. probably classed as 'adult acne' now considering im nearly 20. i have scarring and trouble with foundations and have always flipped between foundations. I can't use alot on my skin as it is quite sensitive and flares up very, very quickly, so most scrubs/exfoliants/moisturizers don't work so good. but that is another topic lol.

for makeup! I have uni everyday in the week but I make time to do makeup as it's very theraputic for me and i just love doing it.

foundation: recently it is maybelline dream velvet matte. it's very soft and matte and doesn't feel gross. although i do prefer urban decays naked foundation, which was amazing and so lightweight.

brows: i don't really go too crazy on brows, i used to use seventeen brow pencil to just fill them in a little bit and give them some shape, recently i've been using a dark brown eyeshadow as a powder. powder seems to sit nicer on my face. also I use a clear brow gel to set them and they last all day.

eyeshadow: alternates between Too Faced Chocolate Bar and Nyx Wicked Dreams palettes. Both amazing, i have green eyes so I tend to go for the more brown/red/oranges (basically warm tones).

mascara: l'oreal volume million lashes/miss manga. both amazing, i have long lashes anyway but these make my eyelashes reach my eyebrows sometimes

highlight/blush: sleeks solstice palette for highlight is just beautiful. blush is also sleek in rose gold, but sometimes i'll use a peachy/pink lipstick and just dab it on my cheeks.

contour: have recently not been doing it because i'm trying to embrace the shape of my face. (it is rounded and i have quite the chubby cheeks) also i find it just looks a bit like dirt on me, i'm very, very pale lol.

i can't remember who said in previous pages but they were saying about japan/korean makeup vs western makeup and damn i spent yesterday afternoon just watching videos in comparison. it was so interesting. i definitely prefer the japan/korean side, but I have a baby face and it seems they kind of emphasise that, which i think is nice. the western side made me realise how much 'work' goes into makeup and how perfected it seems. im all for the imperfections, im full of them

side note: has anyone seen/heard of the igari makeup trend in japan?? thoughts??
:biflag: :blackheart:
anenergetic
spork
Pronouns: he/him

My favourite beauty store is nyx, or maybe sephora?
hbu?
gay :prideflag:
anenergetic
spork
Pronouns: he/him

internetakeover wrote:
Ticia wrote:Quite off topic: do you have any beauty and fashion Yters to recommend? Preferably British or European
I don't watch too many beauty/fashion YTers but I adore Fleur de Force, and Sammi Maria from beautycrush is lovely too.

Also delighted that colourpop is now out in the UK, my sister and I placed an order within 24 hours of them starting shipping to the UK, oops.
dodie clark isn't specifically a makeup/beauty/fashion youtuber, but i do love her makeup tutorials/lookbooks :)
gay :prideflag:
iero
phabergé

i'm going to go through my skincare and every day makeup as i recommend all of these products

skincare
i use korean skincare products. i've found them to be much more gentle and effective on my skin. i didn't have acne as a young teen but i started to get a bunch of spots when i turned 18 (i'm almost 22 and still get them but this helped so much in preventing them). i have combination skin, my t zone is oily while the c zone is dry. i have dehydrated skin too (if u have both oily and dry patches i'd look into seeing if you have dehydrated skin rather than assuming it's combination !!)

i double cleanse so i use an oil based cleanser first then a gel/foam afterwards.
- banila co cleanse it zero cleansing cream - purity
- innisfree jeju bija trouble cleansing gel

to moisturise i use
- cosrx hyaluronic acid power essense (great for dehydrated skin)
- innisfree greentea balacing lotion afterwards

hyaluronic acid sheet masks work v good for dehydrated skin too

makeup

all of these products were cruelty free/vegan when i purchased them (though some of their parent companies may not be)

no7 beautifully matte foundation
nyx transparent pressed powder
nyx matte bronzer
jeffree star ice hold highlighter (i purchased my js products before the drama so it'd be good to avoid him bc he's problematic)
jeffree star beauty killer eyeshadow palette
urban decay precision eye pen
anastasia beverly hills dipbrow pomade
eyelure lashes
soap & glory thick and fast mascara
sugarpill liquid lipstick in trinket (so pretty )
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

Had a good read of the thread after a few days browsing brands’ sites and watching a load of beauty-tube after ages ignoring makeup. I suddenly decided to look into what’s cruelty-free and while those sell in China aren’t considered to be so, most I’ve looked into are fine otherwise (L’Oreal and some others are pushing well for change too). Also I hadn’t bought anything for about two years and still have stuff from when I was 14 so everything’s out of date and it turns out Superdrug is my new friend, 3 for 2 offers and all. Their B skincare range even has some of the ‘proper’ anti-aging stuff like hyaluronic acid, niacinimide and one other I forget now so at some point I’m thinking of trying their stage 2 stuff.

The channel Hot and Flashy someone linked above mentions the best-working anti-aging things like those and peptides, ceramides, retinol, coenzyme and matrixyl in her hooded-lid video. Of course as soon as you look for stuff with those in, they’re usually £50 a pot and I balk at that. Gotta wonder how effective one by Superdrug at £12 is in comparison, but still, whole set is the same price as one thing.

Also there’s this guy giving scientific info on things like micellar water http://colinsbeautypages.co.uk

So far on watching makeup videos, I’ve rediscovered Wayne Goss who I love and was the first beauty guru I found besides Zoella. He gives so many good tips. I fell down the rabbithole of Sophdoesnails, Madeyewlook and Kandee Johnson, I love a good body paint, there’s so much you can do with a face and a load of colour.

I finally ordered a few things from Besame, the vintage-inspired brand after first drooling over them years ago (lucky to have free or low-rate international shipping from some, sadly not all) and the mineral brand I found years ago, Lily Lolo, as I needed a new foundation and so far have just tried their BB cream. It’s nice, though didn’t work so well when I didn’t put it on immediately after moisturiser (it was hours later, I wasn’t in the mood for makeup in the morning). Found a one-woman band https://www.ve-cosmetics.com who does all the eyeshadow and a sugar lipscrub that smells so well of lemonade.

Has anyone used those new style brushes, the ones Artis came out with, precision brushes I think they’re called? The bigger ones look like soft hairbrushes, the smaller like toothbrushes. Revolution has them cheaper and Primark did them too. I hadn’t even used a beauty blender before now, but I had a voucher for Marks and Spencer so got one on the way (I have a load of brushes, but I use my fingers a lot too).
sugar
eclipse shirt
Pronouns: they/them

haven't yet had a chance to read through this thread (and tbh i didn't know it existed until now) but i really want to recommend my new favorite foundation which is the nars radiant longwear.

as i'm dry i've always leaned towards very dewy foundations, and while i can't really pin-point a descriptor for this foundation (it's not matte and i'm not sure it's quite satin) it's unlike any other foundation i've tried before. high coverage (though i admittedly don't need it, my skin is entirely clear but i enjoy wearing makeup so high coverage is what i look for), light-weight, easiest to blend foundation i've ever used. a new holy grail for sure. i'm pretty obsessed with it, i wear it to work in a hot kitchen and 8 hours later it still looks good. definitely recommend.