Beauty Thread

akui
blobfish
Pronouns: She/Her

I'm thinking since a lot of us are coming from all around the world i'm actually curious about beauty trends/brands around the world. Maybe we can talk about that?

This is a place to chat about beauty products, not beauty gurus, please if you want to talk about beauty guru click here.
akui
blobfish

I'm currently searching for good hydrating ficial mask, my skin is dry as a desert right now.
adequate duck
cheeky #spon
Pronouns: she/they

my favorite thing to do is to buy an assortment of those paper/cloth mask sachets from Korea and just use a random one every day for a week. my skin is super-glowing by the end, but i have really no idea what was in them

also love http://www.amazon.com/Cosrx-Advanced-Sn ... 00PBX3L7K/ which sounds uber-gross but makes my skin feel amazing.
"don't respect any ducks" - phil lester
manged
lady door

akui wrote:I'm thinking since a lot of us are coming from all around the world i'm actually curious about beauty trends/brands around the world. Maybe we can talk about that?
Yasss, I binge-watched a bunch of Asian vs Western makeup tutorials a while ago, and it was interesting to see how much the trends oppose each other. Funnily enough, I'm an American who personally prefers a Korean-style of makeup (I think it just suits my face better). I'd definitely like to try Korean skincare products in the future, just to understand what the hype is all about. The masks seem fun; I probably don't "need" them but I wanna try anyway.

As of right now, I'm focusing on correcting hyperpigmentation left by sparse breakouts. I'd love effective recommendations that don't involve hydroquinone and other potentially toxic bleaching agents. A serum would be ideal- I'm currently making my own Vitamin C serums with L-Asorbic acid, Vitamin E oil, glycerin, and aloe gel. It feels nice, but I'm not a cosmetic chemist so idk if it's actually effective.

I'm also trying to incorporate more AHA and BHAs into my regimen just to exfoliate the pigmentation away and reduce breakouts all together.
Ticia
suspended
Pronouns: her / she

I've tried some Sephora and Korean facemasks, but they don't seem to work for my skin at all...and their smell and texture is most of times really disgusting.
Me:

Do you have any favourite website for buying beauty / makeup products? :platonic:
Anonymousse
flower crown
Pronouns: Any

Oh I don't even know where to start with this, beauty products are my shit.

adequack - Have to second this, I use both Korean and Japanese sheet masks to relax and do magic with my skin. I currently don't have any favourites that are magically better than others but they all work well.

manged
- Also agreed, except the caterpillar eyebrows trend.. I just don't get it. I use a Korean bb cream and a "face conditioning cream" (primer) to get that dewy glow-shizzle. I'd rather have an oily appearance than a completely matte one.

Primer info here:
http://www.etudehouse.com/index.php/fac ... cream.html
It's thick and makes your skin a slight bit whiter (wont show under foundation). You can't use a lot of it and it reacts with certain thick creams and and silicone based foundations, but it's fucking amazing imho.
In regards of hyper-pigmentation and scarring - Have you considered retinol creams or hibiscus oil? relevant video

But who the fuck am I kidding? I'm mostly just the rotting banana peel at the bottom of the phan trash can who genuinely gets excited over the thought of them snuggling in bed. Idgaf let a bitch live
- Manged

akui
blobfish

Thanks everybody!

I'm asian but i personally don't use korean product, I use a lot of western product and Japanese/taiwanese brand. Also need to warn you girls of buying asian product, there are a lot fake online and random asian makeup store, so be careful! Buy them from official store or website! I'm currently living in Australia so if i want to buy asian beauty product i never go to random asian beauty store, i'm just so afraid of buying fake product!

Anyway if you want to buy i recommend http://www.sasa.com, they are a big chain store in hong kong and they ship worldwide! I often buy stuff from them when i'm in hong kong or buy them online when i'm in Australia. They have a lot of brands from asia and they are all reasonably priced.

I used to use a japanese skin mask but i forgot the name, i only remember the packaging is pink and a lot of masks have pink packaging. :facepalm: I'm also looking for good toners, I've been using Theyers witch hazel rose petal toner for the last two years but they seems to change packaging, and somehow it doesn't feel as good anymore. :? Dunno why. Maybe because my skin became even dryer now.
akui
blobfish

manged wrote: As of right now, I'm focusing on correcting hyperpigmentation left by sparse breakouts. I'd love effective recommendations that don't involve hydroquinone and other potentially toxic bleaching agents. A serum would be ideal- I'm currently making my own Vitamin C serums with L-Asorbic acid, Vitamin E oil, glycerin, and aloe gel. It feels nice, but I'm not a cosmetic chemist so idk if it's actually effective.

I'm also trying to incorporate more AHA and BHAs into my regimen just to exfoliate the pigmentation away and reduce breakouts all together.
Have you tried Bio oil? It's very popular in australia but i've never tried it because i don't have these kind of problem myself.http://www.amazon.com/Bio-Oil-4-2oz-Mul ... 761&sr=1-1
manged
lady door

Theenks for the leenks, guys.
Anony- *is guilty of caterpillar eyebrows* For some reason I think I tried a retinol in the past and then just stopped? I should probably look into it again. And hibiscus oil sounds interesting.

akui- I've hear of Bio Oil before and people say it's amazing.
adequate duck
cheeky #spon

Bio-Oil is (for me anyway) good, but not amazing. Like it worked well to keep my skin soft and glowing but was a little greasy (they lie about it being non-greasy, but it's not awful). I used to mix it with lotion though, for my arms (they have hella dry-skin) when I was living in Australia (it was easy to buy), so it didn't go to waste when it was annoying my face-skin.
DryCereal
koi pond
Pronouns: she/her

Bio-Oil is great for cuts/scars/odd marks, I think I need to just get a bathtubful and splash around in it for about a month! ;) Or just buy a bottle and start using it again.
IckleMissMayhem's evil fic writing alter ego. :twisted:
akui
blobfish

what is caterpillar eyebrows? is it korean straight brow???
Anonymousse
flower crown

akui wrote:what is caterpillar eyebrows? is it korean straight brow???
Yes, someone called them caterpillar brows (gossmakeupartist?) and it kinda stuck with me. It just doesn't flatter the face much.

Then again I hate most brow trends anyways, those weird brows that fade into brows, halo brows, concealer brows... you name it.

But who the fuck am I kidding? I'm mostly just the rotting banana peel at the bottom of the phan trash can who genuinely gets excited over the thought of them snuggling in bed. Idgaf let a bitch live
- Manged

Ticia
suspended

Thank you very much akui for your recommendation! Now I know where I'm going to spend more money than I should :lol:

I must admit I only watch "Western" makeup videos (and I was a makeup youtuber myself some years ago), so is there any "Asian" makeup guru I should be following?
akui
blobfish

Ticia wrote:Thank you very much akui for your recommendation! Now I know where I'm going to spend more money than I should :lol:

I must admit I only watch "Western" makeup videos (and I was a makeup youtuber myself some years ago), so is there any "Asian" makeup guru I should be following?
Hmmm... idk, for starters i don't believe beauty gurus, especially their reviews. For makeup tutorial I only followed Lisa Eldridge. If you want authentic Asian i recommend Choicerish and sasakiasahi, their channels are english subbed and their style are more modern-classy japanese girl (not super kawaii type).

Also in there is a japanese website called cosme.com is basically a japanese sephora, and they have a beauty product award every year according to their user review, it's really useful, i usually just pick what i want from their awards winners.
akui
blobfish

Anonymousse wrote:
Yes, someone called them caterpillar brows (gossmakeupartist?) and it kinda stuck with me. It just doesn't flatter the face much.

Then again I hate most brow trends anyways, those weird brows that fade into brows, halo brows, concealer brows... you name it.
Yes i don't like that either, it's supper popular but asian women naturally have softer facial features already and the straight brow make the majority of them look really sad.

Cheer up girl
manged
lady door

Ngl that's why I do it. What better way to convey my inner sadness than through my eyebrows?
Ticia wrote:I must admit I only watch "Western" makeup videos (and I was a makeup youtuber myself some years ago), so is there any "Asian" makeup guru I should be following?
I fucks with jungsaemmool, PONY Makeup (though her looks can be more western), daddoa, (and one other whose name I've forgotten oops but her makeup is slightly more western as well)

As far as Western makeup goes though, off the top of my head, I tend to like Teni Panosian, (my queen) Jackie Aina, and jeanfrancoiscd.
eevee
emo goose

akui wrote:I'm currently searching for good hydrating ficial mask, my skin is dry as a desert right now.
I recommend Lush for face masks. They are all natural and work wonders. No harsh chemicals or preservatives.
akui wrote: I'm also looking for good toners, I've been using Theyers witch hazel rose petal toner for the last two years but they seems to change packaging, and somehow it doesn't feel as good anymore. :? Dunno why. Maybe because my skin became even dryer now.
Once again...lush haha. Tea Tree Water toner is amazing.
manged wrote:Ngl that's why I do it. What better way to convey my inner sadness than through my eyebrows?
yas

Does anyone prepare their skin before they put foundation on, other than a primer? I use a Smashbox primer but I was wondering what else I should be going. I recently got into Stephanie Nicole on YT (who is a breath of fresh air btw, she's brutally honest and calls out bs in the industry) who prepares her face before foundation with about 100 things....do you guys use anything??
Phil looks like he went to sleep at 6 AM and is dying inside, Dan glows like he spent the night having orgasms - Ticia
Anonymousse
flower crown

eevee wrote:
Does anyone prepare their skin before they put foundation on, other than a primer? I use a Smashbox primer but I was wondering what else I should be going. I recently got into Stephanie Nicole on YT (who is a breath of fresh air btw, she's brutally honest and calls out bs in the industry) who prepares her face before foundation with about 100 things....do you guys use anything??
I exfoliate, moisturize well and use like... 3 primers (no biggie). 2 Of them are Lumene (ugh European brands) line, one is a mattifying primer (for the nose), and the other is an illuminating primer for the cheeks. I use it over the "skin conditioning cream" I mentioned earlier, which is my first step after moisturizing.

Even though I use 2 primers on my nose and a good amount of foundation, it just doesn't seem to stick on to the nose well, and during the day the nose just nomnoms the foundation away, even if I blot and powder, what gives? :sideeye:

- Manged

Ticia
suspended

Anonymousse wrote:
eevee wrote:
I exfoliate, moisturize well and use like... 3 primers (no biggie). 2 Of them are Lumene (ugh European brands) line, one is a mattifying primer (for the nose), and the other is an illuminating primer for the cheeks. I use it over the "skin conditioning cream" I mentioned earlier, which is my first step after moisturizing.

Even though I use 2 primers on my nose and a good amount of foundation, it just doesn't seem to stick on to the nose well, and during the day the nose just nomnoms the foundation away, even if I blot and powder, what gives? :sideeye:
What foundation do you use? I had the exact same problem with my nose until I started to use the Naked foundation by Urban Decay. A bit pricey, but sooo worth it!

About preparation (mixed skin, very oily on the T zone and very sensitive on the rest):
I shower everyday first thing in the morning, so after I jump out of the shower I use some toner and then moisturizer (both by Kiehl's). I used to apply skin primers as well, but I found out that no matter which brand I bought or ingredients were used, my skin would break out really badly. After putting on all my makeup, some setting spray (also by Urban Decay). No blotting paper, no setting powder, no retouches. This is the best routine so far and it makes my makeup last for +12 hours.
akui
blobfish

eevee wrote: I recommend Lush for face masks. They are all natural and work wonders. No harsh chemicals or preservatives.
:? :? :? I really really don't like lush, there are many other vegan beauty brand that do marketing without torturing naked women.
eevee wrote:Does anyone prepare their skin before they put foundation on, other than a primer? I use a Smashbox primer but I was wondering what else I should be going. I recently got into Stephanie Nicole on YT (who is a breath of fresh air btw, she's brutally honest and calls out bs in the industry) who prepares her face before foundation with about 100 things....do you guys use anything??
I usually just toning cuz i don't like the feeling to too many product on my face, then i use bb cream or primer+foundation. And during the day touch up using powder.

For BB cream i'm using tarte bb cream or nude by nature bb cream, the second one has spf, it's australian brand and cruelty free.

For primer i'm using natio ageless illuminating primer, this one is very hydrating i love it (also vegan and australian brand). The foundation i'm using is lancome blanc miracle and estee lauder futurist aqua brilliance, but i have to say they are not especially good or anything, considering their price, so i do not recommend them.

For powder i'm using physician's formula mineral face powder, the product is good but the packaging is really shitty, it's a full coverage, very mattifying but not dry, and the case is really easy to break omg, shitty packaging. I'm also using aikei cc white powder, it's really good, medium coverage, not drying at all, very fine powder and has spf. But it's hard to get, i got it shipped from japan.
adequate duck
cheeky #spon

what do you guys use to fill in eyebrows? i have never ever ever managed to do it satisfactorily, how about how-to vids, anyone have a rec?

i'm lucky in that my brows are naturally well-shaped and defined anyway, but i still want to learn to do them better.

in related, but sad news, my eyebrow waxing lady has moved to another state! i love her but i am not driving 12 hours to get my brows done. now i have to find somewhere else and it took me a long time to find her and i am tempted just to let them all grow like 1980s Brooke Shields, but lazier.
fancy_nancy
phabergé
Pronouns: she/her

adequack wrote:what do you guys use to fill in eyebrows? i have never ever ever managed to do it satisfactorily, how about how-to vids, anyone have a rec?

i'm lucky in that my brows are naturally well-shaped and defined anyway, but i still want to learn to do them better.

in related, but sad news, my eyebrow waxing lady has moved to another state! i love her but i am not driving 12 hours to get my brows done. now i have to find somewhere else and it took me a long time to find her and i am tempted just to let them all grow like 1980s Brooke Shields, but lazier.

Anastasia Beverly Hills Brow Wiz is the best and also idk about how-to vids but protip: relax your face when you're doing them bc when I first tried to fill mine in I arched them a lot so I could see the shape really well and then I looked like I was surprised the whole day :lol: :lol: how embarassing
angrymob
hobbit hair

Is anyone here into more alternative make-ups? I'd love to find a nude lipstick that's pale enough for my skintone (roughly NW-15) and not too heavy. Either that or other suggestions of covering up lip colour to match skin tone for everyday wear. Powder and grease paint work well, but are obviously annoying to wear for long periods.
adequack wrote:what do you guys use to fill in eyebrows? i have never ever ever managed to do it satisfactorily, how about how-to vids, anyone have a rec?

I'm guessing you want more of a defined instagram-ish eyebrow, but if you want to go more natural and you already have a good shape, I fill them in using eyeshadow that's two shades lighter that the hair colour. I've heard this method doesn't work well if you have lighter brows though.
akui
blobfish

fancy_nancy wrote:

Anastasia Beverly Hills Brow Wiz is the best and also idk about how-to vids but protip: relax your face when you're doing them bc when I first tried to fill mine in I arched them a lot so I could see the shape really well and then I looked like I was surprised the whole day :lol: :lol: how embarassing
I'm also using anastasia but i'm using the brow powder duo which i find it works great for more natural brow look.

If you brow over grown, i recommend using trimming tools such as scissor comb to trim your brow shorter and then use a clear brow mascara to set the shape, and then use a brow pencil or powder.