Beauty Thread

sunday
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

I LOVE this thread

What do you guys think of Tarte products? They look amazing and I'm really wanting to try them but getting them shipped to my country is going to cost an arm and a leg so I'd like to know what people think first!

I used to have insanely dry skin and I really recommend using Paula's Choice Skin Recovery Hydrating Treatment Mask (http://www.paulaschoice.com/shop/skin-c ... tment-Mask). So soothing and my skin felt so soft. But honestly (ignore this if you're already doing it) drinking 2L of water a day is going to do wonders more than any moisturiser can. Gotta work your way from the inside out

For pigmentation issues I would def recommend BHA/AHA products or retinol products!
Anonymousse wrote: Even though I use 2 primers on my nose and a good amount of foundation, it just doesn't seem to stick on to the nose well, and during the day the nose just nomnoms the foundation away, even if I blot and powder, what gives?
It sounds like your nose is dry and the skin there is sucking up any moisture it can get from the foundation? Maybe exfoliate your nose a couple of times a week and make sure to use a good moisturiser w emphasis on your nose, as well as drinking lots of water
angrymob wrote:Is anyone here into more alternative make-ups? I'd love to find a nude lipstick that's pale enough for my skintone (roughly NW-15) and not too heavy. Either that or other suggestions of covering up lip colour to match skin tone for everyday wear. Powder and grease paint work well, but are obviously annoying to wear for long periods.
Maybe Jeffree Star "I'm Nude", MAC "Myth" or MAC "Fleshpot"?
manged
lady door

adequack wrote:what do you guys use to fill in eyebrows?
Maybe you shouldn't listen to me after I admitted to wearing caterpillar eyebrows, but I actually use a really shitty slightly dried out NYC black liquid eyeliner pen to lightly fill them in with hairlike strokes. Then I'll take a very fluffy brush and softly apply a bit of dark brown eyeshadow for additional fullness/ blur out any harshlines. Occasionally, I'll use some MAC eyebrow mascara thingy to finish it off and add texture, but it doesn't actually seem to hold my brows into place. I'm guilty of literally using hairspray on a spoolie to keep my eyebrows still because mine are actually kinda curly.

But on quick days, I just use the brow mascara.
eevee
emo goose

Anonymousse wrote: I exfoliate, moisturize well and use like... 3 primers (no biggie). 2 Of them are Lumene (ugh European brands) line, one is a mattifying primer (for the nose), and the other is an illuminating primer for the cheeks. I use it over the "skin conditioning cream" I mentioned earlier, which is my first step after moisturizing.

Even though I use 2 primers on my nose and a good amount of foundation, it just doesn't seem to stick on to the nose well, and during the day the nose just nomnoms the foundation away, even if I blot and powder, what gives? :sideeye:
Using three primers is a great idea tbh, the matte and the highlilght is really smart and I can't believe no beauty guru I watch or makeup artist I know has told me about doing that yet. That's incredible and I have to try it!

For keeping it on your nose have you tried setting spray? Maybe concealer over the foundation? I'm not really sure but perhaps those things might help.
Ticia wrote:About preparation (mixed skin, very oily on the T zone and very sensitive on the rest):
I shower everyday first thing in the morning, so after I jump out of the shower I use some toner and then moisturizer (both by Kiehl's). I used to apply skin primers as well, but I found out that no matter which brand I bought or ingredients were used, my skin would break out really badly. After putting on all my makeup, some setting spray (also by Urban Decay). No blotting paper, no setting powder, no retouches. This is the best routine so far and it makes my makeup last for +12 hours.
Interesting that primer causes you to break out, because for me, moisturizer causes me to break out and primer does not at all. I've tried lots of moisturizers, two of which my dermatologist recommended me, and I got bad acne. So I stopped using a moisturizer regardless of the countless makeup artists that swear by it. But I appreciate the rec :) I use the same setting spray! It works so well!
akui wrote: :? :? :? I really really don't like lush, there are many other vegan beauty brand that do marketing without torturing naked women.
I respect your choice.
akui wrote:I usually just toning cuz i don't like the feeling to too many product on my face, then i use bb cream or primer+foundation. And during the day touch up using powder.
that's what I've been doing so far and it works fine for me, I just wanted to get some more opinions to makeup make my skin even healthier! :)
adequack wrote:what do you guys use to fill in eyebrows? i have never ever ever managed to do it satisfactorily, how about how-to vids, anyone have a rec?
Benefit Gimme Brow is very easy to use and works as both a tint/color and a gel. I love it!
Phil looks like he went to sleep at 6 AM and is dying inside, Dan glows like he spent the night having orgasms - Ticia
Anonymousse
flower crown
Pronouns: Any

manged wrote: And hibiscus oil sounds interesting.
Well fuck me I totally meant to say "Rosehip oil" not hibiscus, but I keep mixing them up. Rosehip oil should have similar effects that retinol has, just a lot less concentrated (because retinol is some pretty strong stuff).

This youtuber is one of my favourites
Ticia wrote:
What foundation do you use? I had the exact same problem with my nose until I started to use the Naked foundation by Urban Decay. A bit pricey, but sooo worth it!
I GUESS it depends on the foundation because I rotate between 3 different ones daily and it seems a common occurrence with one of them actually.
sunday wrote: It sounds like your nose is dry and the skin there is sucking up any moisture it can get from the foundation? Maybe exfoliate your nose a couple of times a week and make sure to use a good moisturiser w emphasis on your nose, as well as drinking lots of water
I think it is just because noses have that natural "mirror shine" texture, that my foundation doesn't stick and it just slides off during the day. I will try to exfoliate a bit more, because the lack of moisture on my face really doesn't seem to be an issue (I have quite the morning/night routines). I also drink a lot of fluids during the day.
eevee wrote: For keeping it on your nose have you tried setting spray? Maybe concealer over the foundation? I'm not really sure but perhaps those things might help.
Setting sprays cost a small fortune thoo =/ so I probably wont even try that out.

---

Aspirin masks, clay masks, mud masks, activated carbon masks? Have any good tips, tricks, recommendations? (and don't ever put lemon or tomato on your face please, that is just terrible for your skin... also no toothpaste)

But who the fuck am I kidding? I'm mostly just the rotting banana peel at the bottom of the phan trash can who genuinely gets excited over the thought of them snuggling in bed. Idgaf let a bitch live
- Manged

jaej
moon room
Pronouns: he/they/idm

i mostly use lush products since i pretty much trust them as natural enough to not make my face break out. i recommend the 9 to 5 cleanser, imperialis moisturiser, tea tree toner and sacred truth mask. other than a few random sheet masks, they're the only things that don't break me out horribly. ive made my own masks with raw honey and a little bit of cinnamon before, which my skin looks great but also pollen allergies. and it makes me smell like pancakes.

asian makeup (especially korean, which i think is the kind of trend style now over the neo gyaru stuff) is pretty hit or miss on most faces, especially since it pretty much does the opposite of western styles. my face looks weird with flat brows or downturned eyeliner or gradient lips, but i used to love the aegyo sal stuff. i used to use the etude house 'dear girls cute eye maker', but that was when i didn't really know anything about makeup so i'd read more detailed reviews if you were interested in buying it.

i don't wear that much these days, but i recently bought the l'oréal nude magique cushion foundation, i think it's called lumi in some countries? it's the best western cushion foundation ive tried, i prefer it over a bb cream though it's very similar. it's made in korea so i wouldn't be surprised if it turns out to be the exact same formula as a korean brand.
i love sleek as a brand for their eyebrow, contour and highlight kits, plus their barekissed illuminator. and lipsticks
aside from lush and sleek, the only other brand i tend to really really enjoy is urban decay. since my makeup is always either very natural and light or completely costumey and dramatic, i love their eyeshadows and pencil liners, i think they're really versatile and a good investment. i love the vice4 palette, and the 24/7 glide on eye pencils are great, though they're really soft and take some getting used to. goldmine is probably my favourite rn i think. their perversion mascara is incredible too, but im not really a thick lash person

my main mascara was actually an anime product lmao. creer beaute's la rose de versailles mascaras are surprisingly good, but in general japanese mascaras are light. they're more about lengthening than thickening i guess.

as for beauty vloggers, i love calarygirl, choicerish and mikipon, plus miss fame when i pretend i can do that. oh, and the kawaii patteen channel has some good tutorials on different japanese street styles
my name is jaejmine masters and i have something to say. dan and phil have fucked up japan :japhan:
phil lester threw the first brick at stonewall, we love a queer icon :biflag:
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie
Pronouns: she/her

Wow, this thread is fantastic.

I'm constantly trying to find new things to even my skin out. I've got majorly oily skin, rosacea and some burst capillaries that I use Benefit concealer and Makeup Forever foundation to cover (when I'm motivated to wear makeup) but both products just break my skin out. I've literally never found a makeup that doesn't - putting anything on my skin gives me little whitehead zits along my nose and chin at best, or leads to an actual breakout. I have only been to a dermatologist once (when I had a really nasty breakout) and he gave me steroids for it, but I am generally not a person down with taking too much medication if I can find some other alternative.

I went through a phase a few months ago of trying to use moisturizer since I thought maybe my skin needed more hydration and that would help the oil overproduction but it didn't really do much except make me feel gross and give me way more blackheads, too. Money is basically always tight for me so I never have too much to spend on new things to try. (Every time I drop money on something new that doesn't work I get less motivated, too.)

Any suggestions? For either skincare routines, or other kinds of makeup to try.
Philena
blobfish

alittledizzy wrote:Wow, this thread is fantastic.

I'm constantly trying to find new things to even my skin out. I've got majorly oily skin, rosacea and some burst capillaries that I use Benefit concealer and Makeup Forever foundation to cover (when I'm motivated to wear makeup) but both products just break my skin out. I've literally never found a makeup that doesn't - putting anything on my skin gives me little whitehead zits along my nose and chin at best, or leads to an actual breakout. I have only been to a dermatologist once (when I had a really nasty breakout) and he gave me steroids for it, but I am generally not a person down with taking too much medication if I can find some other alternative.

I went through a phase a few months ago of trying to use moisturizer since I thought maybe my skin needed more hydration and that would help the oil overproduction but it didn't really do much except make me feel gross and give me way more blackheads, too. Money is basically always tight for me so I never have too much to spend on new things to try. (Every time I drop money on something new that doesn't work I get less motivated, too.)

Any suggestions? For either skincare routines, or other kinds of makeup to try.
My skin is very similar to yours. Are you opposed to/sensitive to over the counter acne treatments? I have used and liked the oil cleansing method in the past, but it stopped working for me about a year ago. I currently use salicylic acid gel all over my face every night. It is a chemical exfoliant and is not drying on my skin at all, so I am able to use it year round. In the summer my skin is too oily, so I add a dab of benzoyl peroxide to my T zone to help keep it clear and less oily. I will be 35 at the end of this month, and I still don't really need a moisturizer. Maybe on the driest winter days.

All of my makeup is from the drugstore. I prefer it! I love L'Oréal Infallible Pro-Matte foundation. It works perfectly with my skin type and doesn't break me out. I almost always apply it with a damp sponge.

Hope this helps anyone else with oily and/or acne prone skin!
Lucet
spork

Do not use Bio Oil, that shit is toxic!
Also, with salicylic acid - it's not very good for a daily use, as it is drying and not suitable for sensitive skin. Also, if you use it in excess it can cause your skin to produce even more oils.
Using a moisturiser is essential, no matter what type your skin is. You can have oily skin that's dehydrated and/or irritated. Good creams also help to manage oil production.

I used to have oily skin, but due to a drastic change of climate and a few other problems it became dry.

Back in a day I used to wear a ton of make-up. I mean primer, foundation, concealer, eyeshadow, eyeliner, mascara, bronzer, you name it. Every single day. Now I go for a more natural look. Kinda 90's, but softer. When I'm not at work or more official environment, I only use a tiny bit of concealer and mascara on my upper lashes.

Back in the day I was in love with make-up. Today, I'm in love with my skincare routine. It's very simple, pretty organic and everyone can do this. My go to thing is... oils. I tell my friends to use it, I use it and they make my skin glow. You can have oily skin and still use oils. Just get a good quality cream and put a drop of essential oil before putting the cream on your skin. For example lavender is good for oily and acne prone skin (it's also good for dry skin). Argan oil, olive oil, shea butter... Damn, oils are just great. And they're not harsh on your skin. I do use creams during the most days, as they're easier to apply, but I do put essentials oils in them.
As for the brands, I try to use natural skincare products. Dr. Hauschka is my absolute favourite. Check it out, I think they sell worldwide. Avril is also a nice French eco brand and quite affordable.
I'm also going to buy African black soap as I heard the raves about it.
I exfoliate with brown sugar and lemon juice, my masks are both natural and store-bought. Can't remember anything else to add, I might do it later :)
When it comes to make-up, I mainly use higher end. I would love to change to more natural brands, but I just can't. I just try to remove all the makeup as soon as I get home. For makeup removing I use micellar water, cleansing milk and cleansing balm (not all at once, of course :lol: ).
corn flakes
moon room

Basic skincare: wash my face, tonic and cream. Then I use a bb cream from benecos or one from so'bio ethic, I wanted to change to clinique bb cream anti blemish, but the shit is expensive. That last like 6/7h, not much but I'm hopeless :lol:
I tried for years to find a foundation for my latina oily/mixed complection, that's not heavy, nor expensive but :help:

As for exfoliating: brown sugar, honey and a little squeeze of lemon juice.As for masks:either store ones or clay ones made at home.

As for mascara I tried more natural brands but ended up with clinique and essence as I have short eyelashes. I loved a lancome one but can't get myself to spend all that money on my makeup, the only product that's a must have is concealer for eye bags.
Basically I'm open to all suggestions.
English is not my first language: half of the mistakes are typos ,half are me
sunday
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

alittledizzy wrote: I'm constantly trying to find new things to even my skin out. I've got majorly oily skin, rosacea and some burst capillaries that I use Benefit concealer and Makeup Forever foundation to cover (when I'm motivated to wear makeup) but both products just break my skin out. I've literally never found a makeup that doesn't - putting anything on my skin gives me little whitehead zits along my nose and chin at best, or leads to an actual breakout.
Maybe you could try a mineral powder foundation? Apparently they're good for acne-prone skin as they're less likely to clog pores

Idk if any of you have this - but I get these horrible under-the-skin bumps - they're not milia, I believe they're called closed comedones and they take months and months to go away. Can't find anything to fix them (have tried acid exfoliants) and I'm at my wits end.
My doctor has warned me off roaccutane :gg: so I might start trying a prescription retinoid treatment If anyone else has had this problem and managed to fix it please let me know how!
Lucet
spork

Try soaps - Ayurvedic ones. My friend used Medimix, an Indian one and her acne cleared up. I never had acne, but I use it as well, it's very good!
angrymob
hobbit hair

Code: Select all

[quote="sunday"]
[quote="angrymob"]Is anyone here into more alternative make-ups? I'd [i]love[/i] to find a nude lipstick that's pale enough for my skintone (roughly NW-15) and not too heavy. Either that or other suggestions of covering up lip colour to match skin tone for everyday wear. Powder and grease paint work well, but are obviously annoying to wear for long periods. [/quote]
Maybe Jeffree Star "I'm Nude", MAC "Myth" or MAC "Fleshpot"?[/quote]

Thanks for the suggestions, but they ended up being a bit too pink. I did find a shade that's close to what I want, but it's part of MAC's "native-inspired" line.  :sideeye:
alcoholicferrets
tol bean

[quote="angrymob"]

[quote="sunday"]
[quote="angrymob"]Is anyone here into more alternative make-ups? I'd [i]love[/i] to find a nude lipstick that's pale enough for my skintone (roughly NW-15) and not too heavy. Either that or other suggestions of covering up lip colour to match skin tone for everyday wear. Powder and grease paint work well, but are obviously annoying to wear for long periods. [/quote]

Thanks for the suggestions, but they ended up being a bit too pink. I did find a shade that's close to what I want, but it's part of MAC's "native-inspired" line.  :sideeye:[/quote]
I have a super light nude that might fit what you're looking for, ColourPop Ultra Matte in Vice. It's their lightest color and it's more peachy than pink. It's a bit of a concealer lip look unless I wear it over a light brown lip liner, but it might work by itself for you.
eevee
emo goose

[quote="angrymob"]

[quote="sunday"]

Thanks for the suggestions, but they ended up being a bit too pink. I did find a shade that's close to what I want, but it's part of MAC's "native-inspired" line.  :sideeye:[/quote]

what's the shade? maybe if you show me I can help you find a dupe.
Phil looks like he went to sleep at 6 AM and is dying inside, Dan glows like he spent the night having orgasms - Ticia
lavenderpetals
butt chair
Pronouns: They/Them

adequack wrote:what do you guys use to fill in eyebrows? i have never ever ever managed to do it satisfactorily, how about how-to vids, anyone have a rec?

i'm lucky in that my brows are naturally well-shaped and defined anyway, but i still want to learn to do them better.

in related, but sad news, my eyebrow waxing lady has moved to another state! i love her but i am not driving 12 hours to get my brows done. now i have to find somewhere else and it took me a long time to find her and i am tempted just to let them all grow like 1980s Brooke Shields, but lazier.
I use the Anastasia Beverly Hills Brow Pomade, absolute holy grail brow product. The only thing is that you need a really light hand when using it.
corn flakes
moon room

Question: got some good mascara to recommend for short lashes?
I have the sample size of "better than sex", even if according to the reviews it shouldn't work for my eyes,I like it but I have heard that the standard one has a too big brush for my eyes,as I'm also prone to make a mess.
Read some reviews for "they are real" and it's possible that it's too heavy for my eyelashes.
I want lenght and definition without spending too much money but till now the maybelline ones left me unsatisfied.
eevee
emo goose

corn flakes wrote:Question: got some good mascara to recommend for short lashes?
I have the sample size of "better than sex", even if according to the reviews it shouldn't work for my eyes,I like it but I have heard that the standard one has a too big brush for my eyes,as I'm also prone to make a mess.
Read some reviews for "they are real" and it's possible that it's too heavy for my eyelashes.
I want lenght and definition without spending too much money but till now the maybelline ones left me unsatisfied.
I'm not quite sure but my suggestion would be, if you like better than sex, then go to Sephora and get a tester mascara wand and use it with your better than sex. it'll be a smaller wand and hopefully easier to use. that's my only suggestion, sorry! Maybe something to consider if you can't find a better mascara :)
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

corn flakes wrote:Question: got some good mascara to recommend for short lashes?
I've heard Benefit Roller Lash is good for short lashes, it has a nice small brush as well.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
mintsans
sofa crease

corn flakes wrote:I tried for years to find a foundation for my latina oily/mixed complection, that's not heavy, nor expensive but :help:
i gotchu fam

bourjois healthy mix serum foundation (also has the best match for my actual skin tone !!!)
maybelline fit me dewey + smooth (i do like the dewey look, there is a matte version if that's more your thing)
l'oreal nude magique bb cream - it's magiQUE

I have a ton of skincare and makeup i like to invest into but never actually use. oh well.

my fave guru person is tati because she has never failed me re: anything she recommends even though we have very different skin types.

also this is my new favorite mascara over anything pricey i own: no. 7 intense volume waterproof
corn flakes
moon room

mintsans,Catallena,eevee thank you for the suggestions ,I'll look into it
phoenixfeather
dank meme

what a wonderful thread! I agree, the fact this forum has people from all over the world makes this kind of conversation so much more fun. I'm a bit ashamed to admit it, but the main YouTubers I watch are Beauty gurus. I'm an MUA myself and I'm always trying to learn new techniques/products. All my faves are SFX artists though, as that's my own specialty. (Even though I almost exclusively get bridal bookings :sideeye:)
jaej wrote:i love sleek as a brand for their eyebrow, contour and highlight kits, plus their barekissed illuminator. and lipsticks
Sleek is amazing! When I was starting out I bought all their eyeshadow palettes because they're such incredible quality for the price. I still bust them out and repurchase them to this day, even though 80% of the makeup I use for clients is higher end or artistry brands.
jaej wrote: my main mascara was actually an anime product lmao. creer beaute's la rose de versailles mascaras are surprisingly good, but in general japanese mascaras are light. they're more about lengthening than thickening i guess.
Anime products are so fun to use! For my personal collection, I'm currently using a Sailor Moon liquid liner (switching between that and a Creer Beaute one) because I'm in an awful mood every morning and pulling out a wand with a crescent moon on top just makes dreary mornings a liiiittle bit better (also I'm secretly a five year old)
Anonymousse wrote:
Even though I use 2 primers on my nose and a good amount of foundation, it just doesn't seem to stick on to the nose well, and during the day the nose just nomnoms the foundation away, even if I blot and powder, what gives? :sideeye:
Have you tried the Wayne Goss method? My face is absolutely normal, even the rest of my t-zone, but my nose is an oil slick. He changed my life. Basically you do whatever prep fits your routine (I use a matifying moisturizer by First Aid Beauty (an absolute godsend because it doesn't smell/feel like anything is on your face, I hated moisturizer before I tried it) and whatever primer works the best with the foundation I'm using that day) then use a loose, matifying primer on your nose before your foundation then continue with foundation and powder after (which I forgo because I use sculpting/shaping powders on my nose to contour/highlight)

cornflakes, if you're not sure about They're Real, look up Absolute Lashes by W7. Really really cheap and same formula! Even the same tube. I actually find They're Real to be really light and Better than Sex to be really heavy. I only use BtS at the base of lashes and use They're Real to lengthen (of course, everyone's lashes are different, which is evidenced by the fact BtS worked really well for you! So TR may not work :P) I've also had a lot of luck with Clinique lash doubling mascara if you're willing to spend a bit more.
eevee
emo goose

What's everyone's favorite brand of fake eyelashes? (not individual, one piece for each eye)
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

eevee wrote:What's everyone's favorite brand of fake eyelashes? (not individual, one piece for each eye)
I really only ever use Eylure lashes because they're easily accesible in my nearby drugstores, and I like them a lot. They last about 3 times (sometimes 4 if I wear lighter makeup with them) and their adhesive is good too, never have problems with it staying in place.

A friend of mine recently bought some Ardell lashes, and they're gorgeous and great quality. I've heard great things about Red Cherry as well.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
Ticia
suspended
Pronouns: her / she

Quite off topic: do you have any beauty and fashion Yters to recommend? Preferably British or European
DryCereal
koi pond
Pronouns: she/her

Morning routine:
Estee Lauder Perfectly Clean Triple-Action Cleanser/Toner/Makeup Remover
Estee Lauder Idealist Pore Minimizing Skin Refinisher
Estee Lauder DayWear Advanced Multi-Protection Anti-Oxidant Creme Oil-Free SPF 25

Nighttime:
Same cleanser as above, or Lush Magnaminty face mask (whilst I'm in the bath!)
Estee Lauder Advanced Night Repair Synchronized Recovery Complex II
Estee Lauder NightWear Plus Anti-Oxidant Night Detox Creme

Yes, EL is expensive, but it WORKS for me, and a little goes a long long way!

I use Lush Ultrabland as a makeup remover, basically because I'm yet to have found anything that it can't shift all in one go - that includes heavy-duty stage makeup! :thumb:
IckleMissMayhem's evil fic writing alter ego. :twisted: