Writing Thread

hajime
dank meme

Do you write fanfiction, or maybe novels? Are you suffering from a horrendous writer's block and need some support from fellow sufferers? Do you have the best idea ever but no one to talk to about it?

Writers unite
SquishPhan
capita£ester
Pronouns: she/her

Cool thread. I am going to do Camp NaNoWriMo next month, but still have no idea what I'm going to write about. I really should continue with one of my three ongoing projects (novels), but we shall see. I have a problem with actually finishing things. I will probably decide on the first of April.
Anonymousse
flower crown
Pronouns: Any

I used to write a lot of poetry when I was younger, and It wasn't all angsty stuff.
Some of it sounded like Bite by Troye, kinda sweet, but.. not?

I now write code and documents that are not very interesting to read, but writers block affects me when I have to write introductions or summaries of the documents.

I have become very un-creative.
But who the fuck am I kidding? I'm mostly just the rotting banana peel at the bottom of the phan trash can who genuinely gets excited over the thought of them snuggling in bed. Idgaf let a bitch live
- Manged

daphenaxa
blobfish

cool thread!!!
I used to write poetry but stopped because I hated it. I honestly think I wasn't original enough and kind of plagiarized or like copied too much my favourite poets, so it didn't come across as sincere or interesting, or anything really.
I've written fan fiction a bit but now i am working on a novel. I actually have the whole plot and story finished but now I have to actually write it and I want to illustrate it too. But I don't find the motivation of doing ANYTHING. I am scared that like most things in my life, I don't managed to actually do it/finish it.
If you’re attracted to somebody, you’ll want them to sniff you eventually - Dan
*Phil is turned on by Dan's brilliance* *they kiss* *they have sex in the microwave* - Oqua (actually Phil)
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Nice idea for a thread. :) I write a ton but mostly fanfic. Right now I'm doing one big bang and pondering ideas for the phandom big bang. I'm pretty sure they're gonna end up running at least partially at the same time, so that'll be fun.
daphenaxa
blobfish

alittledizzy wrote:Nice idea for a thread. :) I write a ton but mostly fanfic. Right now I'm doing one big bang and pondering ideas for the phandom big bang. I'm pretty sure they're gonna end up running at least partially at the same time, so that'll be fun.
What's a big bang?
*Phil is turned on by Dan's brilliance* *they kiss* *they have sex in the microwave* - Oqua (actually Phil)
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

daphenaxa wrote:
alittledizzy wrote:Nice idea for a thread. :) I write a ton but mostly fanfic. Right now I'm doing one big bang and pondering ideas for the phandom big bang. I'm pretty sure they're gonna end up running at least partially at the same time, so that'll be fun.
What's a big bang?
It's a fanfic writing challenge with a higher minimum word count. You have a certain amount of time to finish the story, and in the process you typically get paired with an artist too so it's a really fun way to collaborate with someone and for fanartists and fic authors to play in a sandbox together.
daphenaxa
blobfish

very cool
SquishPhan
capita£ester

daphenaxa wrote:cool thread!!!
I used to write poetry but stopped because I hated it. I honestly think I wasn't original enough and kind of plagiarized or like copied too much my favourite poets, so it didn't come across as sincere or interesting, or anything really.
I've written fan fiction a bit but now i am working on a novel. I actually have the whole plot and story finished but now I have to actually write it and I want to illustrate it too. But I don't find the motivation of doing ANYTHING. I am scared that like most things in my life, I don't managed to actually do it/finish it.
If you need some motivation to write then I suggest checking out NaNoWriMo, the camp version or just the normal one. I don't know how it works, but it is one of the few things that can actually make me write, even 50.000 words in a month. I love writing, but still seem to need these kind of motivations. I think the community aspects help a lot. Just a suggestion.
hajime
dank meme

I'm absolutely in the depths of a writer's block. For over, what, eight/nine months I haven't been able to get out a single word. Sucks, because I really, really want to start working on a new novel, but I just can't write a single thing! I'm so scared of producing something that isn't good (by my own personal standards), so I opt to not write anything. Can't even write fanfiction anymore. I don't even know what to do to help this situation.
Anonymousse wrote:I have become very un-creative.
This totally sums up my thoughts
timtam
lady door

The only thing I'm writing right now is my psychology dissertation, does that count?

I've had some ideas to start writing but it's so hard to just take that plunge and start. I've never been a very good writer so I'm scared to give it a try really. Is there such thing as writers block before you even start writing? If so, I have that.
redelep
tol bean

I'm just starting out to writing my own phanfics and yea I do struggle with writing. partially bc English is not really my first language (I do speak mostly English nowadays but I really don't know how to explain the way Phil looks at Dan).

I have so much ideas that I have pages of notes on my Google Docs and Evernote. but I'm like ??? what are words?? what is writing??

and like hajime said, I'm also afraid that my fics aren't good enough and is lacking of something that makes it memorable or worth reading again.
yonahime
glabella

redelep wrote:partially bc English is not really my first language
This.

I wrote only like 2 fanfic in ao3 (both on hiatus cause i'm so uninspired), but i think i got discouraged a lot when writing fanfic because i dont know a lot of vocabulary :wahh: constantly checking google translate can ruin a mood. i always worry if i'd use a word in the wrong context or something. sticking to simple words is good but it get really repetitive sometimes and i just also wtf is grammar. do i need to go back to high school to learn it all over again (hah no).

But writing (and reading) fanfic in my first language is cringe af, so
hajime
dank meme

yonahime wrote:
redelep wrote:partially bc English is not really my first language
This.

I wrote only like 2 fanfic in ao3 (both on hiatus cause i'm so uninspired), but i think i got discouraged a lot when writing fanfic because i dont know a lot of vocabulary :wahh: constantly checking google translate can ruin a mood. i always worry if i'd use a word in the wrong context or something. sticking to simple words is good but it get really repetitive sometimes and i just also wtf is grammar. do i need to go back to high school to learn it all over again (hah no).

But writing (and reading) fanfic in my first language is cringe af, so
As a person whose first language isn't English but who has written in English for so many years, I can give one advice: practice! Just keep writing in English, because the more you do, the more your vocabulary will improve, and soon you won't have to keep checking Google Translate. Reading books or fics or anything written in English also improves your vocabulary. :wink:

I first started to write in English, because in English you just get the best audience. There's hardly anyone commenting on fics written in my first language.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

hajime wrote:I'm absolutely in the depths of a writer's block. For over, what, eight/nine months I haven't been able to get out a single word. Sucks, because I really, really want to start working on a new novel, but I just can't write a single thing! I'm so scared of producing something that isn't good (by my own personal standards), so I opt to not write anything. Can't even write fanfiction anymore. I don't even know what to do to help this situation.
redelep wrote:and like hajime said, I'm also afraid that my fics aren't good enough and is lacking of something that makes it memorable or worth reading again.
Honestly, cheesy advice ahead, but: the best way to feel better about writing is just to keep doing it. Write things you don't plan on showing anyone. Write scenes that aren't even full stories. Write out character descriptions that aren't going anywhere. If something, somewhere, just makes you feel something (I mean, in my case, lbr, usually a deppy gifset) then grab some paper or open up a blank document and write how it makes you feel. The more you write the more comfortable you feel, and don't look at it like everything you need to do needs to be the start of something you'll eventually finish - because it really doesn't have to be.

One of the best things I do to kick writer's block is word war with my friends. We get into a chatroom or a messaging group somewhere, and we start at the same time and write for half an hour with no interruptions and no distractions, and compare word count at the end. It gives it a little competitive edge and spurs you to just write something, and once in a while the random stuff that spills out when you aren't overthinking can turn into something great. And if it doesn't, no big deal. You still tried and you feel more comfortable with the writing process for having done it.
redelep
tol bean

yea I do need to practise. the last time I wrote anything creative in English, was in secondary school :( just gotta churn out those phanfics like butter

I think in English but often so, I google words to assure myself that 'yes I do know the meaning of it and I'm not dumb' lol. also I don't like using the thesaurus idea. yea it's good to prevent repetitive words but sometimes they just don't fit? (you see I'm really struggling with fic writing)

having a beta does help tho. thank god for those who are willing to help correct my grammar and sentence structure

edit: ah dizzy you know how to calm this troubled soul (lol) ooh that word war thing sounds amazing. I like to push myself to write more than my previous fic's word count
hajime
dank meme

alittledizzy wrote:Honestly, cheesy advice ahead, but: the best way to feel better about writing is just to keep doing it.
Cheesy advice is always the best. This is definitely encouraging, thanks! I think I've been... not writing too long, just gotta get back up on the horse and simply write.
daphenaxa
blobfish

yeah keep writing and most importantly DON'T GET DISCOURAGED by comments of people saying your English sucks or your story is incomprehensible.
When I was writing fan fiction, I got those comments a lot and it made me sad but I honestly think my English is not that bad so yeah you just have to ignore that.
SquishPhan wrote:
If you need some motivation to write then I suggest checking out NaNoWriMo, the camp version or just the normal one. I don't know how it works, but it is one of the few things that can actually make me write, even 50.000 words in a month. I love writing, but still seem to need these kind of motivations. I think the community aspects help a lot. Just a suggestion.
thanks I will check it out. so how does it work for you? do you go like on a holiday camp for writing?? or is it just online?
blue
not a first-time poster

I did NaNoWriMo last year and it went well. It was a lot of fun, and I wrote a bit during the first weeks of December as well, but then nothing. I wrote 12000 words during a day in November, but I've barely written 1200 since then (and it's been 4(!!) months). :(
alittledizzy wrote:Honestly, cheesy advice ahead, but: the best way to feel better about writing is just to keep doing it. Write things you don't plan on showing anyone. Write scenes that aren't even full stories. Write out character descriptions that aren't going anywhere.
tbh I need this reminder daily. and it might be cheesy but it's true.
SquishPhan
capita£ester

daphenaxa wrote:yeah keep writing and most importantly DON'T GET DISCOURAGED by comments of people saying your English sucks or your story is incomprehensible.
When I was writing fan fiction, I got those comments a lot and it made me sad but I honestly think my English is not that bad so yeah you just have to ignore that.
SquishPhan wrote:
thanks I will check it out. so how does it work for you? do you go like on a holiday camp for writing?? or is it just online?
No it is just all online, but there are forums that you can check out and talk with lots of people on, which is always fun and can help with the motivation. Some countries do have meet ups as well, where you can get together irl and talk and write.
For Camp NaNoWriMo you can sign up for online cabins, which is a nice feature. I don't really use it, but lots of people love that about the camp one.

Blue kind of the same with me. I manage to write quite a bit during nanowrimo but not so much in the months between.
asher
smol bean
Pronouns: he/him/his

I love writing! I write fic and am currently working on two novels. I have failed NaNoWriMo several times. Why does it have to be at the most stressful time of year as is? Hahah
In the end we're all just humans, aren't we?
manged
lady door

I'd heard of the the Phandom Big Bang but never knew there was a way for artists to get involved. Might look into it tbh (if it isn't too late idk the deadlines). Under a spoiler because I guess it isn't writing related.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

manged wrote:
I'd heard of the the Phandom Big Bang but never knew there was a way for artists to get involved. Might look into it tbh (if it isn't too late idk the deadlines). Under a spoiler because I guess it isn't writing related.
Do it do it do it.

Definitely not too late, I'm not even sure sign ups have actually opened.
daphenaxa
blobfish

asher wrote:I love writing! I write fic and am currently working on two novels. I have failed NaNoWriMo several times. Why does it have to be at the most stressful time of year as is? Hahah
do you write phan fic? or some other fandom?
internetakeover
lady door
Pronouns: they/them

alittledizzy wrote:
manged wrote:
Do it do it do it.

Definitely not too late, I'm not even sure sign ups have actually opened.
idk if you've had a look yourself yet, but artist signups actually aren't until mid-August (PBB FAQ), so you've got ages!

Also writing is kicking my butt at the moment, so well done to everyone who can/does write regularly, I've never figured it out! I made a New Year's Resolution to post a fic a month, and managed that for all of January. Stupid uni *grumbles*

also stupid brain constantly telling me that my writing is shit and no one cares about it so what's the point and anyway you should be doing something productive, but i'm trying to remind myself that that's not the point of fic, the point is that i do enjoy it and it should be a break from uni etc, and don't want to whine when i know that's the only answer, so have this in tiny writing where it doesn't count??