Dan's Candles

A place to compile and archive information for reference/analysis.
susan2
rainbow nerd

Because scented candles are great :D and I thought it might be useful to compile these in one place.
I've started with some of the most prominent ones, please do add to the list...
:candle: :candle: :candle: :candle: :candle: :candle:

Yankee Candle

Yankee Candle - Fireside Treats
The joys of camp ... mesmerized by the fire, singing and laughing, while toasting marshmallows to rich, gooey perfection!
Top: Marshmallow
Mid: Crystallized Sugar, Vanilla Fluff
Base: Cedarwood, Glowing Embers, Firewood
Dan said this was his favourite scented candle (as at 7 November 2015)
https://youtu.be/Rf1elCTiCTg?t=6s
Dan's review - "It's like marshmallow, but slightly burnt"
Yankee Candle - Beach Wood
Seasoned by the elements … this modern blend of vetiver, salt air and driftwood creates an intriguing fragrance.
Top Notes: Cypress, Incense
Mid Notes: Ivy, Incense
Base Notes: Woody Notes, Moss, Vetiver
Dan said this was his favourite scented candle (as at 3 December 2016)
https://youtu.be/nmeZkmtq-lo?t=7m9s
Yankee Candle - Haunted Hallow (Limited Edition) (£17.99)
A spicy, spooky adventure through dark piney woods with a ghostly trail of sweet incense.
Top Notes - Blood Orange, Bergamot, Red Hot Cinnamon
Mid Notes - Incense, Fir Balsam, Pine Needle Sap, Smoked Clove, Vanilla Oak
Base Notes - Patchouli, Cedarwood, Guaiacwood, Golden Amber, Malt
From Yankee's Halloween 2017 collection.
White writing on the inside of the candle jar, which will slowly reveal itself as the candle burns, is a quote from John Kendrick Bangs and reads: "Tonight All-Hallows' spectre struts along the moonlit way."
From thumbnail of live show (31 October 2017) - Hangout with Halloween Howell :pumpkin:
Yankee Candle - Shea Butter
Pure contentment… indulge yourself in this creamy smooth scent with hints of beautiful fruit blossoms.
Top Notes: Orange, Bergamot, Mixed Berries
Mid Notes: Vanilla Orchid, Jasmine, Shea Cream
Base Notes: White Musk, Vanilla Sugar, Guaiacwood
https://youtu.be/6S3U-xlVIhQ?t=31m9s
Dan's review - "mmm...lovely"
BONUS: Dan's thoughts on Yankee Candles
“Yankee y’know it’s not the most haute, fancy candle brand but there’s just fun themings and I'm about that”

Jo Malone

Jo Malone - Dark Amber & Ginger Lily (£56)
To uplift, to wind down, or simply to add an air of luxury. Transform the atmosphere with the scent of amber and black orchid. Illuminated by the clean sensuality of black cardamom, ginger and water lily.
Christmas Gift (2015) - https://youtu.be/93S2Vrx2zWs?t=35m16s
Dan's review - "damn. that is seductive." ... "holy shit"
Bella Freud

Bella Freud - Signature Scent (£45)
This Incense Wood & Oud fragrance is dry and warm. Bella Freud's Signature candle is richly scented with Moroccan smoked incense, layered with notes of Cedarwood and rich resins of Amber and Myrrh.
Christmas Gift (2015)- https://youtu.be/93S2Vrx2zWs?t=34m38s
Dan's review - "it smells like incense, that's good" ... "fuck me."
Bella Freud - Art (£45)
'Art' is a composition based around the scent captured in the artists studio - oil paint, old wood, paint brushes, with the fragrance of fresh Lilacs in the corner. The artist paints, the model reflects.
Top Notes Palmarosa
Heart Notes: Guiacwood, Cedar, Lilacs
Base Notes: Musk, Labdanum
https://youtu.be/fn0PQWSblx0?t=57m1s
Dan's review - "it's a peculiar one. it's like, it's very fresh, it's got this not quite citrusy but quite lemony (almost like window cleaner, but not unpleasant) like freshness to it, very bright, almost like you're in a museum with lots of space and panelled walls, and it's just like yeah. but then it's very woody, there's like this like woodiness that's very wholesome and earthy, and then just kind of a slight incensey-ness but I'd say it's quite fragrant. apparently it's lilac, guiacwood and musk."
Bella Freud - Fairytale of New York (£45)
Bella Freud Fairytale of New York is the ultimate punk rock love song, written by Shane MacGowan, the wild genius of rock and roll. Its harsh and poetic tenderness is charged with romantic feeling and is the inspiration behind this captivating smell.
Top Notes: Blood Orange and Coriander
Heart Notes: Mimosa, Saffron, Tobacco Flower
Base Notes: Oud, Myrrh resins, Patchouli, Musk and Amber oils
Is this Phil's candle?
@rizzo mentioned in the main thread that in a live show (57:05) Dan said that Phil got this candle as a gift (Christmas 2016)…so it could technically be Phil’s gift he's burning or it could be a re-purchase. It looks like we saw Phil at least partially burn his during Predicting my Future.
(shout out to the lovely friend gifting the Bella Freud candles :thumb:)

Tom Dixon

Tom Dixon - Oil (Medium) (£65)
A mysterious multi-coloured vessel contains a powerful refreshing blast of woody essential oils.
Top Notes: Cypress
Heart Notes: Guaiacwood
Base Notes: Styrax
Christmas gift from Phil (2016) - https://youtu.be/p5ntmwgZL50?t=26m5s
Dan's review - "its like a bit earthy and a bit smokey but then it's got like a deep spicy incense (y'know like incense like exotic), but very deep and very dark, so it's kind of like a bit smokey, a bit earthy and neutral and gravelly, but then like a deep dark incense smell. and it's just, i don't want to light it, it's so beautiful. look at that shit. look at that shit. i'm not gonna light that."
Tom Dixon Materialism (£130)
Four small vessels, each with its own distinctive scent and finish relating back to materiality. Encased in glass, stone, metal and marble, the gift set makes a perfect addition to any space, ideal for the person who has it all.
Seen above. Unconfirmed whether these are Dan's or Phil's or both of theirs...but based on what we know about their candle tastes I'm guessing Dans. (Perhaps the oil candle he showed above was actually just one part of this set?).
Shearer Candles

Shearer Candles - Amber Noir (£9)
A rare dark essence of tuberose, violets and amber. Sensual and mysterious, it will stimulate all your senses. This popular candle will add a splash of colour to your interiors.
Seen on top of Dan’s piano in 'My Evil Piano Teacher' - https://youtu.be/Ru94jkT_DdQ?t=3m42s
True Grace

True Grace - Cinnamon & Clove (£30)
Autumn garden fruit taken into the kitchen and preserved for the coming winter.
Top Notes: Citrus, Orange
Middle Notes: Clove, Cinnamon
Base Notes: Musks
https://youtu.be/WV45YHUeFGk?t=36m3s
Dan's review - "look at it. it's classy and beautiful. it's so good. it's so good."
autumnhearth
senpai
Pronouns: she/her

Oh my goodness bless you for this! It makes me want to visit a Yankee Candle store and sniff the ones mentioned. I think I would like Beach Wood and Haunted Hallow (a shame that one probably would t be available). Everything else is out of my price range, but I love reading the notes and also his excited reactions, especially when it’s just ‘holy shit’ and ‘fuck me’ :rofl:

But most of all I’m excited that you found the Materialism set! I was very curious about that line up since that picture was posted. Cheers! :ribena:
susan2
rainbow nerd

Tom Dixon

Tom Dixon - Materialism Terrazzo Candle (Large) (£125)
Weighty, rounded and satisfying to touch, Terrazzo is a fitting new member of the Materialism family – a substantial container for this fresh Mediterranean scent.
Top: Bergamot and Lemon
Heart: Green Fig
Base: Gaiac Wood and Vetivert
Birthday gift from Phil (2018) - https://youtu.be/BEdJZH2ldc8?t=41m4s
Dan's review - "it's literally the only thing I care about." ... "this is the only thing I want" ..."thank you" ... "I nearly cried honestly" ... "mother of god"
Phil's review - "a fancy candle, in a really fancy pot" ... "it's made out of concrete and tiles, it's like an art piece" ... it does smell frickin' amazing tho" ... "it's so heavy, you could kill someone with that"
susan2
rainbow nerd

Tom Dixon

Tom Dixon - Materialism Stone Gift Set (£140)
(each container is unique - hence the slightly differing colors - the colors in the set Dan got looks more like this set - on sale now for £98 ;) )
This heavyweight giftset of six Stone candles showcases a colour spectrum of exotic marbles. Turned on lathes by skilled engineers in India each rocky, rounded heavyweight container is unique due to the particularities of the individual block of marble. This forms the optimum vessel for the dry exotic fig and sandalwood essence of our Stone scent collection.
Top: Fig
Heart: Bergamot
Base: Sandalwood
Christmas gift from Dan's family (2018) - https://twitter.com/updatedphan/status/ ... 4481035264
Dan's review - "How well do my family know me. Oh my god. They're so beautiful. Is it lame that literally my only gift from my family this year was scented candles? Maybe, but I don't care that's who I am, Merry Christmas."
Susanisnotafish
blobfish
Pronouns: She/her

I’ve only just discovered this thread! So wonderful! Thank you for making it! I am still holding out hope for a candle vid from either or both of them.
"Rub those freckles all over me!" --Daniel Howell
susan2
rainbow nerd

It's here ... :trumpet: :trumpet: :trumpet:

Daniel Howell

Daniel Howell - MY SOUL Scented Candle (£15)

A black scented candle in black glass in a black box - with notes of dark spices, amber and wood. The comforting aroma of the black hole where your heart should be.
Released 31 October 2019
susan2
rainbow nerd

Tom Dixon

Tom Dixon - Air
Air is light and crisp defined by floral notes of pink pepper, white tea, Neroli oil, orange flower and white musk. A celebration of the bare essentials. A scent of extreme simplicity and individual character that reflects its elemental name.
Top: Ozonic Accord and Pink Pepper
Heart: White Tea Accord and Neroli Oil
Base: Orange Flower Abs and White Musks
Tom Dixon - Materialism Cork Candle
An unconventional scent of burnt sugar and smoky wood permeates a raw cork vessel, stamped with the mark of its maker.
Top: Leather
Heart: Neroli and Patchouli
Base: Gaiac Wood and Vetivert
susan2
rainbow nerd

Tom Dixon

Tom Dixon - Eclectic - London
London captures the smell of red brick and London parks with crocuses and nettles, and the salty smell of the Thames at Dagenham.
Top: Black Pepper
Heart: Oud Wood and Vetiver
Base: Cedar Wood and Patchouli
Tom Dixon - Eclectic - Orientalist
The faint memory of an Indian wedding with rose petal garlands- giant cinnamon sticks on the beach stalls and the musky smells of the Chinese herbal market.
Top: Cassis and Violet Leaves
Heart: Rose, Magnolia, Geranium, Clove and Cinnamon
Base: Patchouli, Amber and Musk
(possibly part of the Eclectic Gift Set)