Dan and Phil political/social comments

A place to compile and archive information for reference/analysis.
daphenaxa
blobfish
Pronouns: she/her

Ok I saw karma_yeah in the main thread talking about starting a thread like that so I decided to start it. Basically, Dan and Phil are NOT political or opinionated at all on their channels but sometimes we get tiny bits of information especially in liveshows about where they stand on some of those subjects. Not gonna lie, I am particularly interested and excited about that

Feel free to post anything they have said on subjects like politics, politicians, sexism, race issues, LGBTQ, religion, social issues, social commentaries etc. I'll kick off (sorry it is very Dan heavy as I am a lot more too invested in him and also he does mention more of this stuffs):

Dan on religion Dan on death penalty
Dan on Bernie Sanders

@56.50 and why he is a liberal @58.08 (lol) also says Jeremy Corbyn is "cool"

@17:30
I also remember in another liveshow he was asked if he supported Hilary Clinton and replied "I am more of a Bernie girl sorry" but I couldn't find it.
Dan:"I didn't vote conservative"

@3:35
LGBTQ
dan

about Caitlyn Jenner and trans visibility @0:40

Lana Wachowski mention - visibility for the community @35:48
do you support LGBTQ @ 6:25

connor franta's coming out @0:09

phil

@3:30 @ 3:54
Dan on feminism

kinda fits here I guess
gender normativity
Phil: boys can wear make up if they want to @1:44

Dan: people wtv gender they want can look however they want @ 3:45

also the "lesbians don't look like anything in particular"
Dan on animals

He also talked about sentient animals several times
dan on youtube culture

I remember that he also briefly said he didn't think there was a lack of female content creators on youtube, but that they didn't get as many views as males because the majority demographics on yt are teenage girls but I couldn't find the video :(
Dan on consent
He said several times he didn't consent to the Glozell dance incident on stage ex:

@9:43
Dan's oscars tweet
If you’re attracted to somebody, you’ll want them to sniff you eventually - Dan
*Phil is turned on by Dan's brilliance* *they kiss* *they have sex in the microwave* - Oqua (actually Phil)
greatnessflicker
cheeky #spon

Great idea for a thread
Dan on Bernie
There was also a live show where he said he wouldn't want Kanye to run in 2020 if Bernie won the election because he'd want Bernie to have another term. I have no idea which live show or how far into it that comment was, though.

Dan on religion:
Dan says he would like to be cremated, which is traditionally not allowed by the Catholic faith that his grandmother raised him in, but also says one of the reasons he'd like to be cremated is that its more spiritual to him
"Why are songs about worshiping God always terrifying and freaking awesome? [...] Catholicism, it's metal" @42:40
Yes, this isn't really a "view," but I think, speaking as a lapsed Catholic, that dan's comments about christian music can be read as a bit of respect/reverence for the art that originates from religion and faith itself.
First expressed an interest in acting during a Christmas play, but also jokes that it was "obviously satanic" and draws a pentagram. Then mentions that he went to musical theatre school on sundays instead of church @ 1:33
Dan on capitalism/economics in general:
Phil mentions that it has been a mild winter so shops that bought winter gear are losing money
Dan, sarcastically: oh my god they must have ordered millions. Think of the capitalism, guys. The real victims here. @3:00
mez29
procrastinator

Aaaah yes! Political Dan is my favourite Dan, so thanks for this thread Intrigued by the possibility of political Phil too, although that's not something I've ever noticed …

The only think I can think of to contribute at the moment is the short exchange starting at 4:55 here: "bit corporate, isn't it?"
mez29
procrastinator

daphenaxa wrote:I remember that he also briefly said he didn't think there was a lack of female content creators on youtube, but that they didn't get as many views as males because the majority demographics on yt are teenage girls but I couldn't find the video :(
Yep, that's here, from 5:51.
akui
blobfish
Pronouns: She/Her

So far it's just Dan's political/social comments
daphenaxa
blobfish

akui wrote:So far it's just Dan's political/social comments
I included Phil in the gender normativity and the LGBTQ, but yeah I don't think there are that many examples tbh.
I am pretty sure he said he was a feminist in a liveshow but I didn't find it, if anyone has that?

also, Dan on gender identity (gender rolls):
*Phil is turned on by Dan's brilliance* *they kiss* *they have sex in the microwave* - Oqua (actually Phil)
daphenaxa
blobfish

Reaction to Mitt Romney

Most American teenagers are homophobic @4:30 (about Nash Grier)

mez29 Dan was also talking about women on youtube in a liveshow then, i didn't know he talked about it in BY.
cherry
crusty sponge

Phil says he's a feminist here at 2:50

the rumors are terrible and cruel
but, honey, most of them are true
greatnessflicker
cheeky #spon

daphenaxa wrote: Dan on Bernie Sanders
I also remember in another liveshow he was asked if he supported Hilary Clinton and replied "I am more of a Bernie girl sorry" but I couldn't find it.
Found it! @ 4:03
bberry
tol bean

Ohh I knew, back in 2013 when I found them, Dan had said he didn't believe in god but couldn't find the source (I’m talking about the vyou). Thanks I know his beliefs might have changed and that he probably isn’t an atheist, but my atheist heart is at peace.
Do we have anything from Phil on religion?
daphenaxa
blobfish

bberry wrote:Ohh I knew, back in 2013 when I found them, Dan had said he didn't believe in god but couldn't find the source (I’m talking about the vyou). Thanks I know his beliefs might have changed and that he probably isn’t an atheist, but my atheist heart is at peace.
Do we have anything from Phil on religion?
yeah from what he is saying he is probably agnostic because he doesn't reject the possibility of a creator but yeah he doesn't believe in institutionalised religions which for me personally it is good to know.
I don't think Phil ever talked about faith but from his demeanor I would guess he's never been religious at all
jhamba
procrastinator

bberry wrote:I know his beliefs might have changed and that he probably isn’t an atheist, but my atheist heart is at peace.
Where did you get that idea? Am I missing something, or is atheism like bisexuality?
Just trying to spread the Dangirl agenda
blueapple_x
flower crown

jhamba wrote:
bberry wrote:I know his beliefs might have changed and that he probably isn’t an atheist, but my atheist heart is at peace.
Where did you get that idea? Am I missing something, or is atheism like bisexuality?
I remember in a vyou he said something along the lines of "I've come to the realization that there is no god", "the whole idea of heaven/hell/Christianity is ridiculous" but I believe he also said something like "I don't reject the idea that there is a creator"....correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't that statement contradict being an atheist?

I suspect he's agnostic. I think it said so in his most recent myspace profile and I think that fits what he said in that vyou the best (as well as other things he's said). Despite starting off strong with a "there is no god", he said that thing about not rejecting the idea that there's a creator. It's possible not to follow/believe in Christianity and other religions necessarily but believe or at least, not reject the possibility that a god/creator could exist.
jhamba
procrastinator

blueapple_x wrote:
jhamba wrote:
I remember in a vyou he said something along the lines of "I've come to the realization that there is no god", "the whole idea of heaven/hell/Christianity is ridiculous" but I believe he also said something like "I don't reject the idea that there is a creator"....correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't that statement contradict being an atheist?

I suspect he's agnostic. I think it said so in his most recent myspace profile and I think that fits what he said in that vyou the best (as well as other things he's said). Despite starting off strong with a "there is no god", he said that thing about not rejecting the idea that there's a creator. It's possible not to follow/believe in Christianity and other religions necessarily but believe or at least, not reject the possibility that a god/creator could exist.
well, a lot of atheists don't reject the idea of a creator, but they do reject the idea that the creator gives a fuck about us. Agnostic may be a better descriptor for this, but agnosticism implies that you don't know whether to be religious or not, which isn't true for the atheists I am talking about. I'm pretty sure there's a word for this, but I can't remember.
daphenaxa
blobfish

blueapple_x wrote:
jhamba wrote:

yeah the vyou you are talking about is the first link in the introduction post (the one not embedded)
he is indeed agnostic according to his old myspace :
screenshot from Dan's myspace from dec 2, 2009 where he states he is Christian
screenshot of his myspace from sept 26, 2012 where he says he is agnostic
jhamba
procrastinator

daphenaxa wrote:yeah the vyou you are talking about is the first link in the introduction post (the one not embedded)
[offtopic]can we just appreciate that he was "single" in december 2009, and "in a relationship" in 2012? Who was he dating?[/offtopic]
daphenaxa
blobfish

jhamba wrote:
daphenaxa wrote:yeah the vyou you are talking about is the first link in the introduction post (the one not embedded)
[offtopic]can we just appreciate that he was "single" in december 2009, and "in a relationship" in 2012? Who was he dating?[/offtopic]
lol yeah I know. mysteries...
blueapple_x
flower crown

jhamba wrote:
blueapple_x wrote: I remember in a vyou he said something along the lines of "I've come to the realization that there is no god", "the whole idea of heaven/hell/Christianity is ridiculous" but I believe he also said something like "I don't reject the idea that there is a creator"....correct me if I'm wrong but wouldn't that statement contradict being an atheist?

well, a lot of atheists don't reject the idea of a creator, but they do reject the idea that the creator gives a fuck about us. Agnostic may be a better descriptor for this, but agnosticism implies that you don't know whether to be religious or not, which isn't true for the atheists I am talking about. I'm pretty sure there's a word for this, but I can't remember.
Were you referring to deism?
Deism is the belief in a creator, who made the world but does not take a personal interest in it -- doesn't require worship, answer prayers, judge behavior, or necessarily promise a life after death (unless that was part of the original creation). Deism is a fairly benign belief, because there are no consequences for accepting or rejecting it.
Here's a simple summary of some beliefs: https://www.quora.com/Theology-What-is- ... and-theism

Also:
Image Image

There are way too many beliefs for me to remember the exact differences lol. There are many more beliefs than this too!
Last edited by blueapple_x on Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:13 am, edited 3 times in total.
oqua
nose pervert
nose pervert

Two more comments from Dan about LGBT stuff (these are both pretty old):

From Dan's tumblr:

kathrynjeanp asked:
I know you don’t particularly like when fans talk about the whole “Phan” thing, but I really was wondering whether you are supportive of the LGBT community. Being a huge fan of yours, I couldn’t believe some of the things I was hearing about you. So i really did want to know, are you an LGBT supporter? Cause fans who are girls who like girls, or boys who like boys, like to know if their inspiration supports who they are.

danisnotonfire:
well i’m not sure i even want to know what utter rubbish you’ve heard about me. haha. but of course i am! a lot! like any intelligent human i think everyone should have the same rights :)
From Dan's 5 Feb 2013 liveshow:

17:00 - “Someone said, ‘So, gay marriage is legal’ — Yeahhhhh! Go House of Commons! Whoo! That’s the advantage of the UK legal system: the House of Commons can use the ~power of democracy~ to keep the old farts in the House of Lords from having opinions that stick. No one understood what I just said. Anyway—”
busy being happy~
corn flakes
moon room

I know the discussion moved on but I will try anyway...my introduction to agnosticism cames from my mad high school philosophy teacher: but isn't agnosticism the suspense of belief in a god, till we don't have data we don't believe in their existence or not?
English is not my first language: half of the mistakes are typos ,half are me
jhamba
procrastinator

blueapple_x wrote:Were you referring to deism?
Deism is the belief in a creator, who made the world but does not take a personal interest in it -- doesn't require worship, answer prayers, judge behavior, or necessarily promise a life after death (unless that was part of the original creation). Deism is a fairly benign belief, because there are no consequences for accepting or rejecting it.
Here's a simple summary of some beliefs: https://www.quora.com/Theology-What-is- ... and-theism

Also:
Image Image

There are way too many beliefs for me to remember the exact differences lol. There are many more beliefs than this too!
Yes, although, I think had seen a better word for it (deism doesn't have enough of the nihilistic/bitter feel I think goes in my own brand of atheism/agnosticism/deism). But, it's a good word, anyhow, haha.
greatnessflicker
cheeky #spon

oqua wrote: 17:00 - “Someone said, ‘So, gay marriage is legal’ — Yeahhhhh! Go House of Commons! Whoo! That’s the advantage of the UK legal system: the House of Commons can use the ~power of democracy~ to keep the old farts in the House of Lords from having opinions that stick. No one understood what I just said. Anyway—”
I almost think this can operate as insight to his political ideology as well, not just his opinion on same-sex marriage. I'm an American, but as I understand it, the House of Commons is elected while the House of Lords is still mostly appointed (lol at dan thinking no one would understand what he said, politics 101 isn't that hard). While Dan's championing for the House of Commons seems obvious, the conservative party tends to think that the House of Lords reigns in the House of Commons from passing populist whims. Of course, Dan might just be talking from this specific issue and think the checking of powers ("the advantage of the UK legal system") is, in fact, what's best, not one chamber over another.

Or Dan just learned/remembered this point that came up in a class and wanted to sound smart by saying it and I'm reading too much into it. Sometimes an issue that you support might make it into law but you can disagree over how it came to be law (the SCOTUS can pass something I support but sometimes I wonder how much power they should have), and it is just interesting the way Dan said he supported both.
mez29
procrastinator

greatnessflicker wrote:
oqua wrote: 17:00 - “Someone said, ‘So, gay marriage is legal’ — Yeahhhhh! Go House of Commons! Whoo! That’s the advantage of the UK legal system: the House of Commons can use the ~power of democracy~ to keep the old farts in the House of Lords from having opinions that stick. No one understood what I just said. Anyway—”
I almost think this can operate as insight to his political ideology as well, not just his opinion on same-sex marriage. I'm an American, but as I understand it, the House of Commons is elected while the House of Lords is still mostly appointed (lol at dan thinking no one would understand what he said, politics 101 isn't that hard). While Dan's championing for the House of Commons seems obvious, the conservative party tends to think that the House of Lords reigns in the House of Commons from passing populist whims. Of course, Dan might just be talking from this specific issue and think the checking of powers ("the advantage of the UK legal system") is, in fact, what's best, not one chamber over another.

Or Dan just learned/remembered this point that came up in a class and wanted to sound smart by saying it and I'm reading too much into it. Sometimes an issue that you support might make it into law but you can disagree over how it came to be law (the SCOTUS can pass something I support but sometimes I wonder how much power they should have), and it is just interesting the way Dan said he supported both.
I agree about Dan's political ideology. The Lords are often seen as old-fashioned and out of touch because they're appointed and a lot of them are fairly old (we have bishops in the Lords ffs) which means they're potentially more reactionary and less likely to allow progressive legislation, so those of us who are more left-wing tend to disapprove of them (plus the fact that having unelected people make laws is a bit shit but there we are). Having said that, it was the Lords who blocked the bill on tax credit cuts a few months ago so they're not all bad.

Dan's narration is a bit off though, as he implies the Lords voted against the bill and the Commons were able to pass it anyway. The way it works is that a bill goes through the Commons first, and if they pass it it's voted on by the Lords, and then if they pass it it goes to the queen for "royal assent" (although that's a formality, I've never heard of the queen turning down a bill). So the bill would only have been passed if the Lords had voted to pass it, it would never have got through if it had just been the Commons. According to wikipedia (shh) this particular bill was passed in the Lords despite a period of "strong, vocal opposition".
greatnessflicker
cheeky #spon

mez29 wrote:Dan's narration is a bit off though, as he implies the Lords voted against the bill and the Commons were able to pass it anyway. The way it works is that a bill goes through the Commons first, and if they pass it it's voted on by the Lords, and then if they pass it it goes to the queen for "royal assent" (although that's a formality, I've never heard of the queen turning down a bill). So the bill would only have been passed if the Lords had voted to pass it, it would never have got through if it had just been the Commons. According to wikipedia (shh) this particular bill was passed in the Lords despite a period of "strong, vocal opposition".
Thanks for your post, gave me some good insight into british politics Also, the SCOTUS is an appointed body that here in the US that sort-of makes laws by determining the outcome of a case (they made gay marriage across the US legal but also upheld citizens united), so it is kind of iffy

I'm lol-ing so hard at Dan being wrong about how the same-sex marriage bill was passed.
greatnessflicker
cheeky #spon

okay pals so I think Dan's tumblr is under-anaylzed and I've been going through his archive trying to curate the few posts that he actually tags (besides self-promotional ones) and other interesting insights into the mind of Dan. I already sort of knew this, but his tumblr is such a mix of dark, depressing posts, animes, furry stuff, and aesthetic(™) posts. Here are the few somewhat political posts I've found.

*I've ignored posts that seem to be mostly irreverent/humorous/ironic/etc, such as this "Give Bernie Sanders the Chaos Emeralds" post or this post joking about the US gov't after the NSA leak as I think that, disregarding what we know about dan, they give no indication as to someone's political preferences/beliefs/etc.

Feminism + Gender non-conformitivity
Feb 17 2015
Reblogs this post of "Feminist Harry Styles" and tags it "i genuinely love harry tho i think he's a great person" (and also "ew who did i reblog this off" which he tends to do anytime he reblogs from things like the-absolute-best-posts or thefuuuucomics. its alright dan you are allowed to follow trashy tumblrs)

Sept 23, 2014
Reblogs this post that states "these gender roles are disgusting"
Race
oct 22, 2014
Reblogs this pic of a youtube comment that says "how am i racist when im white...", which is clearly poking fun at the excuses white people give for how they aren't racist

oct 17, 2013
Reblogs a post that links to a video that I honestly don't understand nor care to besides the fact that it seems to be a play on the "Yer a wizard Harry" meme. Dan tags it as "this is a very important video" "if you haven't seen it" "but is it racist" "idk." Which I read as the beginning of some awareness/social critique of the content he consumes.
I stopped around Feb 2013 because it got to be Too Much but I doubt there's anything that political before then. However, the curating for-other-reasons goes on so I'll return in a bit.

So, nothing new, but I just think its interesting to compare his beliefs across platforms and see how they've evolved.

Also special mention for Dan on Religion from the Animal Crossing Screencaps: Dan makes a town and gives it a pentagram flag and makes a shirt with an upside-down cross, then tags it "i know its the cross of st.peter" haha. I love that he felt he needed to add a disclaimer.