Austin - Bass Concert Hall - 10th June

missemma
#teamshavedsides
#teamshavedsides
Pronouns: she/her

BUY TICKETS

Are you going to this date? Want to meet up with others? Post below and we will edit the first post with a list of people attending.

We want to hear all your reviews and opinions from this date. Seen a photo from the m&g you want to discuss, go ahead, we love a good discussion.

A few things:
- This forum is public, which means anyone can see information you post.
- If you are meeting up with others, please make sure you do this in a safe way. Make sure you know who you are meeting with beforehand, and do this in an open, safe place. Perhaps even Skype before to ensure your safety.
- If you are posting spoilers, please do so behind the spoiler tag.

Enjoy x
:prideheart: :gayaf: :prideheart:
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

I'll be at this show yaaaaaaaaaaaaay.
districthirteen
phillion/danosaur <//3

I'm actually heading to Austin in August for the fall semester for exchange, but oh of course fate would separate me from TATINOF like this.

(Sidenote, anyone from Austin wanna be my friend? Maybe we can hang out later this year and weep over PINOF8 together.)
AgentTiny
placenta
Pronouns: She/Her

Hiya IDB!

Long time lurker coming out of lurking to say I'll be at this show! I'm going by myself because I couldn't bring myself to submit any of my loved ones to the screaming and cringe.

Anyways, excited about the show! Well, it's 50% excitement and 50% resentment at their content drought/bad planning/lack of interesting tweets.
AgentTiny
placenta

In case I didn't feel old enough going to TATINOF (being in my late twenties), Bass Concert Hall just sent out their available menu for the event and it is certainly geared towards a specific demographic. :?
CURRENT MENU

The Amazing Tour Is Not on Fire
June 10

Chicken Tenders & Potato Wedges
w/ BBQ & ranch dipping sauces

Price: $9

FEATURED DRINK PAIRING

Shirley Temple
Made with ginger ale, grenadine and garnished with a cherry

Price: $4

DESSERT OPTION

Ice Cream Sundae Bar
Two scoop sundae with toppings bar (Vanilla or Chocolate ice cream).
Toppings include chocolate syrup, whipped cream, cherries, sprinkles, and more.

Price: $5
Not to mention their exclusive $10 entry parents lounge! Don't mind me, I'll just be trying to mentally prepare myself for the screaming while taking advantage of the overpriced full bar.
daphenaxa
blobfish

AgentTiny wrote:In case I didn't feel old enough going to TATINOF (being in my late twenties), Bass Concert Hall just sent out their available menu for the event and it is certainly geared towards a specific demographic. :?
CURRENT MENU

June 10

FEATURED DRINK PAIRING

Shirley Temple

DESSERT OPTION

Ice Cream Sundae Bar

Not to mention their exclusive $10 entry parents lounge! Don't mind me, I'll just be trying to mentally prepare myself for the screaming while taking advantage of the overpriced full bar.
bring a flask and pour gin in your Shirley Temple, you'll be good to go.
no seriously good luck with the screaming but from the accounts of a lot of people on this website, it is worth it.
If you’re attracted to somebody, you’ll want them to sniff you eventually - Dan
*Phil is turned on by Dan's brilliance* *they kiss* *they have sex in the microwave* - Oqua (actually Phil)
sweetmm
angel bean

AgentTiny make sure you instagram your food :lol:
starlight-still
truth bomb

AgentTiny wrote:In case I didn't feel old enough going to TATINOF (being in my late twenties), Bass Concert Hall just sent out their available menu for the event and it is certainly geared towards a specific demographic. :?
CURRENT MENU

June 10

FEATURED DRINK PAIRING

Shirley Temple

DESSERT OPTION

Ice Cream Sundae Bar

Kinda disappointed they didn't go all theme-y like Alamo Drafthouse. They could've come up with a little alcohol-free Ribena cocktail or a "Dan" and a "Phil" and...well, some pancakes and a s**tload of donuts, I guess.

Have a lovely time! If you start to feel awkward just step back and focus on the wonder that is seeing live.

Can't wait to see what (if anything) they get up to in Austin
AgentTiny
placenta

starlight-still wrote:
CURRENT MENU

June 10

FEATURED DRINK PAIRING

Shirley Temple

DESSERT OPTION

Ice Cream Sundae Bar

Kinda disappointed they didn't go all theme-y like Alamo Drafthouse. They could've come up with a little alcohol-free Ribena cocktail or a "Dan" and a "Phil" and...well, some pancakes and a s**tload of donuts, I guess.

Have a lovely time! If you start to feel awkward just step back and focus on the wonder that is seeing live.

Can't wait to see what (if anything) they get up to in Austin
Thanks for all the well wishes! I'm super excited for tonight.

If only they could've pulled an Alamo! I work on campus (literally in the building across the street from Bass Concert Hall) and know a few staff members over at Texas Performing Arts. Now I wish I had given them a call and helped them with a menu theme. I mentioned TATINOF to a few of them and they were mostly just confused about the whole thing. :lol:

I took the day off work and ended up coming in anyway to "check the mail" aka snoop around. So far I've seen the merch bus, their manager lady, and their giant TATINOF truck. Y'all are right, it is SO surreal to see this stuff in real life!
blueapple_x
flower crown

I need a picture of them with this dog.
SquishPhan
capita£ester

I need that picture of them with the dog as well.
swofro
angel bean

What does the first picture says?
Edit: nvm, it says all star. Smh.
Love is forever
swofro
angel bean

These answers are kinda cute.
Love is forever
blueapple_x
flower crown

Dan would live in Cali, huh? Not surprised lol.

Also: Lol Dan looks so uncomfortable.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

No time to write a proper review yet but:
Also if you want a hilarious show livetweet from someone who is not in the phandom (she's familiar with them bc I make her watch the videos, just not that huge of a fan) and just got pulled along with me... check out @princessaeryn on twitter.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Meet and greet thoughts: I don't actually have a ton to say about the meet and greet. It goes by quickly and as someone who relies on a m&g having a somewhat scripted feel to keep my own anxiety at bay, it was exactly what I expected it to be and I was extremely satisfied with that. I did not intend on going for hugs but the hug-sign-photo routine is very ingrained in them because Dan was reaching for me before I could politely distance myself. I did a weird half hug with Dan and a more proper one with Phil though I still think I pulled away before he did. (Hugs don't make me particularly uncomfortable, I just didn't have a real need to say I hugged them.)

Dan is soft - soft with his hands, with his voice. I thought he'd come off as patronizing since I've seen him in videos with fans but it's quite sweet in the moment. I had them take a polaroid of just him and Phil and he didn't bat an eyelash at the request, which was nice. They both signed the polaroid and Dan did his little fill-the-silence humming as he did then joked about his tiniest handwriting possible. Phil talked about the weather some and how hot it was and we did an actual selfie with my phone (Dan used his 'my arms are practically selfie sticks' line) and then I was moving along. I'm glad I did it, if for no other reason than to laugh at how far Dan had to bend down to hug me.

Section by section show thoughts!
Three facts about Austin:
Dan: It is in Texas, which is the best state. That is a fact. Right there. That is a fact.
Dan: In Austin today, it is so hot that Phil couldn't go outside because he would have melted. He is so pale.
Phil: We almost had a Phil is on fire situation.
Dan: Really? You're going to start this with a pun that terrible?
Phil: Fact three!
Dan: Obviously everybody here has a beautiful Texan accent.

Mounting things, thumbing things. The looks on the parents faces for moments like that were hilarious.

Seven Second Challenge:
[Dan does the cutest prancy little dance across the stage when he's talking about/mocking Phil getting credit for inventing the 7SC]

- Name One Direction's full names. (For Dan, nailed.) ["Why did I do that so quickly?]
- Make a pun based on your name. (For Phil, nailed.)
- Hop around the other person on your foot. (For Dan, nailed.)
- Spell Austin backwards. (For Phil, failed.) ["Phil, we're all rooting for you, we want you to be happy. But you failed."]
- Dab seven times. (For Dan, nailed.) ["I have such low hopes for this stage show. I mean, clearly the bar is like there. "Well, I could watch that forever, but what do you guys think?]
- Name three animals that start with the letter D. (For Phil, nailed after debate on if dinosaur counted as an animal.)

Weird Kid:
-Believed in toy story so much I told my toys when it was safe to come out.
-Used to eat small rocks. [Phil: "I used to eat caterpillars as a very small child."]
-Used to hide Nutella and eat it with a fork.
[Dan: I do that every Thursday, I'm not gonna say [something.] Somebody thumbs downed my video? Where's the nutella. (snarf noise.)
Phil: Everyone's had a netflix and nutella night, haven't they?
Dan: Lets not think about too much.]
-Used banana skins from the trash to make a cape.
-Used to pet vultures.

Internet Support Group:
-Question about what to wear. "As I always say when it comes to fashion, there is only one acceptable choice when it comes to color. What is it guys?" [Audience shouts black.]
-Question about being unable to catch a girlfriend because they with fit/go into the pokeball. "Don't know how to catch a girlfriend? Maybe the problem is the approach you're taking. Girlfriends are not Pokemon. But you could always try swapping out the net for a compliment? Maybe that would work? Or just use a Masterball, I'm sure that would get them in the sack."
-Question about being in love with Shrek and not knowing what to do. "Wow, is anyone else here in love with Shrek? [something] For all you lost souls I guess I just have to say, it is all ogre for your love lives."
-(Names the llama Larry, 1D joke, Mountain Dew.)
-Question about being an actual trash can when all their friends are pretty, what should they do? "This is the problem with having friends, they can [something] compare yourself to. You know what I say, on the internet there's nothing wrong with being a trash can. After all guys, I'm Phil trash number one." (56:30)
-Question about starting high school. "There is nothing I can do, you are doomed, seriously. Sorry, whose the next one?"
-Question about if they're a good influence/mom wink.

Crafty Corner:
-seal and woodpecker fanart
-birthday hat that says "birthday boi" and has the meme on it
-(Phil paused to point it was Dan's birthday in England and had everyone tell Dan happy birthday)
-Dan and Phil knitted dolls (Dan: "Where is the Dil-doll?" Phil: "Dil... doll..."
-Drawings of Dan and Phil as Shrek and Fiona
-Dan and Phil hand made snow globes
-Drawing of Dan as Mary, Phil as Joseph, and Dil as Jesus.
P: That's incredible!
D: That is... the most simultaneously amazing and offensive thing I have ever seen. I could say a lot of things about this but the main thing I'm thinking is is I look really swaggy in that Mary outfit.
P: There you go. [pause] I'm blown away.

(I'm quite sad my book of printed out breakfast tweets with a cover that said STOP didn't make it in.)

Fanfiction:
I don't think this part changes much so I'm not going to transcribe/explain what happens here. I am iffy on the whole concept of this segment. I don't like youtubers delving into creative fan spaces that aren't meant for them and making fun of fan works. Dan and Phil (Dan especially) have always seemed really respectful of what goes into fanfic, so that saves it a little. And the fact that the punchline is just them being controlled by the audience and not the fact that they are being put in a romantic scenario also saves it a little. But overall I still could have done without it. They can get back to me with the pandering cuteness when they're actually out, until then it'll remain the closest thing to queerbaiting I've seen them do.

Musical number:
Oh, my heart. They try so hard, and for two people who aren't natural dancers or singers they do damn well. I was a puddle of phan love by the end.
General thoughts: it was wonderful. The message is sweet and warm. Dan and Phil are sweet and warm. They're so in sync. I've seen youtuber shows before and I've definitely not seen anything as smooth and well put together and done with care as this show. It's cheesy, sure, but it's a nice kind of cheesy. I appreciate that they have an audience at their fingertips and could get away with much less but they choose to drive home a message about being yourself.

Phan thoughts: Wow, just get married. (Really, though. The complete lack of no homo warmed my heart. I'd seen other people say that the show never explicitly contradicts them being together but somehow I assumed people were exaggerating or overlooking things in declaring that. But they come across as partners to me and unless the heteronormative mindset is strong I can't imagine it reading as that to anyone else.
SquishPhan
capita£ester

Thank you for your review alittledizzy.
Glat to hear that you had a good time.
I haven't even seen the show, but I agree with you that they should just get married already.
I'm glad to hear that Dan is still so open about begin Phil trash. Him throwing out the line: "I'm Phil trash number one.", just warms my heart.
sweetmm
angel bean

Thanks dizzy I'm glad you managed to catch their tour :platonic:
mez29
procrastinator

alittledizzy wrote:Dan is soft - soft with his hands, with his voice.
don't mind me
kuensukki
janice from the shop

Thanks dizzy for the amazing review
internetakeover
lady door
Pronouns: they/them

Thanks for the full review, dizzy! Glad the M&G was good, and that you enjoyed the show so much :D
I'm totally with you about the fanfic section, thankfully everything else helps to kind of makes up for it!
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

internetakeover wrote:I'm totally with you about the fanfic section, thankfully everything else helps to kind of makes up for it!
I had this total sense of dread leading up to it, was pleasantly surprised in the moment, and then afterwards evaluated my moral stance and decided that even enjoying it as it played out didn't mean I actually liked that it was in the show.

Their fond humor toward each other and avoidance of 'no homo' jokes while in 'total homo' situations took me from 'really bitter' to 'mildly annoyed' though.
internetakeover
lady door
Pronouns: they/them

alittledizzy wrote:
internetakeover wrote:I'm totally with you about the fanfic section, thankfully everything else helps to kind of make up for it!
I had this total sense of dread leading up to it, was pleasantly surprised in the moment, and then afterwards evaluated my moral stance and decided that even enjoying it as it played out didn't mean I actually liked that it was in the show.

Their fond humor toward each other and avoidance of 'no homo' jokes while in 'total homo' situations took me from 'really bitter' to 'mildly annoyed' though.
I'm glad you at least enjoyed it in the moment and that it didn't deserve the dread! I went in unspoiled and just froze in my seat like 'wait no wtf is this why is this happening' when it began. They dealt with it(/the show overall) well to make it a 'mildly annoyed' situation in the end.
Philena
blobfish

What a great and thoughtful review, dizzy! I especially love your pics :D
savvymavvy
not a first-time poster

An Outsider's Review of TATINOF
(or how i learned to stop worrying and love the Phandom)

I need to preface ALL OF THIS with saying that for the purposes of this review Mandeh = Dizzy

Now, I want to preface this with saying that I enjoy Dan and Phil. They are the best way to get good Dil (I kid). No, I really enjoy Dan and Phil and DanandPhil but I would say my involvement in Phandom is relegated to a popcorn-munching bystander when I talk with Mandeh. That said, I was excited to go to TATINOF. I've heard good things of the show both the retooled star spangly one and the original.

Mandeh and I were lucky enough to get VIP tickets and were able to hang out in the lounge before hand. Pretty sure our favourite part was all the candy on the table (we may have swiped a bunch of it for later. That's what purses are for, carrying candy).

For the fellow Old's I want to say, when did the 90's come back around? I didn't really realize that it was back in fashion. Also I didn't get the memo about wearing converse's. I'm not getting my memo's. D:

IN ANY CASE. We went through the line, I admired the fashion, we ate candy and then got to meet Dan and Phil, who are both gigantic gigantor's (P.S. Mandeh was adorable between them I think she came up to their knees). I wasn't going to make Dan hug me because I know he's not as physically YES LET'S HUG HARD quite like Phil is so I stuck my hand out to have a handshake but OH NO DAN WANTED A HUG. So I gave him a hug to like his waist because that's about as high as I went.

Phil amusingly made a comment about how hot it was (welcome to Texas in June boys) and Dan mentioned that Phil was in danger of melting. Pretty sure Dan only has 4 shirts in his closet as well. Really high priced shirts, but only 4 of them. Dan took a polaroid with Mandeh's camera because he said he has freakishly long selfie-stick arms (which is true) and Dan made a peace sign because he is a weeaboo.

I wanted to challenge them to a lightsaber duel but that would cost me money as I'd have to go find my own kyber crystals and all I haven't been able to look for them or anything. In any case, I did challenge them to their best air guitar band-ing. Here's us rocking out:

Not quite sure how Phil's hips do that? I think he might be part Gumby. Dan also has A+ faces. I would like to say that I have done quite a few photo-ops with celebs in my time at various cons and the big thing for all of them is that its like picture, go, picture, go, picture, go. You don't have a lot of time to interact with the person because they're cattle calling you through and you just sort of ... know that. But kudos to Dan and Phil for making the cattle call of photos and meetings much better than almost any that I've had. They actually take time to say hi and a picture and don't rush you a long and that's really nice.

(The only experience that really beats it is John Barrowman but that's another story. You can ask Mandeh for that one.)

While waiting for the show to start Mandeh and I found an alcove to charge our phones, wear our awesome flower crowns (thanks boys) and sing a long to Hamilton (word to the few people who walked by who knew what I was singing really badly). Also enjoyed their shirley temple's. Even more so with the added peach vodka.

>.>

In any case, the pre-show was nice, enjoyed the music, shout out to the mom who sat in front of me who was with her kids and was the only one who knew the words to old school Kanye with me. \m/

As for the show... It was cheesy in that fun way? That I found thoroughly enjoyable though without a doubt the girl beside me shipped Phan as there was so many times she kept screaming OH MY GOD and I HATE YOU which I found to be one of the best things to watch. I think the 7 second challenge may have been one of my favourite parts, that and their reactions to the craft corner as it was fun to watch them react to things.

NO I TAKE IT BACK. DAN'S INTERNET SUPPORT GROUP WAS THE BEST. Because Dan's face when he gets actually trolled is the best in my opinion. I also appreciate how he thinks fairly quickly. I mean, I'm sure there is a lot of crossover with some of the material they use but ... I feel like some of it is at least new for each show? So. Yeah good job at reacting and being funny Dan.

The only thing about the show I'm still unsure about a week later, is how there are significant tongue in cheek moments where it is pretty clearly a wink wink nudge nudge to Dan and Phil being together, specifically the fanfic piece. But after thinking about it that night, talking about it with Mandeh and thinking on it a bit more afterwards, I personally am of the opinion that yeah, it is a bit queerbait-y. The definition of queerbaiting is basically any attempt by creators (Dan and Phil) to woo and appease queer fans with no intention of showing an actual or real gay relationship.

I know that a lot of people assume Dan and Phil are together but there is assuming and there is actually saying it and showing it. And so far, they're not saying it or showing it but enjoying the benefits and fan love of it.

As Hedwig put it so succinctly, "All the privileges of homosexuality and none of the responsibilities".

I don't think this makes Dan or Phil BAD people. I think that they are together and they know most of their audience believes that as well, so they're enjoying a thing with their audience. But, not coming out and saying anything about their sexualities either way is still allowing for them to pass because hey like it or not we live in a fairly heteronormative society. So when there is the fanfic piece where they go hey we're gonna have sex *wink wink nudge nudge* and then on their channels they don't address their sexualities or relationship, it's pretty textbook queerbaiting.

This didn't make me dislike the show at all, nor did it make me dislike Dan and Phil. I just think that they need address themselves on their channels or at least on Twitter and not bait fans with a thing they know is enjoyed even if it is done in fun.

Now that was kinda long and a bit bummery-, but really I did love the show. I loved their song at the end and damn do I need one of those spangly jackets really bad. Dil was amazing, if slightly terrifying with the huge head he had but in a way I kinda love how just a random one-off on their channel because such a huge Thing that it was a significant part of their show.

In all, I felt their show was, even with the parts I was :| on, a love letter to their fans and honestly that was really the best thing. They acknowledged things from their videos that they know fans will remember and really showcase who they are, what their fans love about them, and how ridiculous they are and how awesome their fans are and I loved that and was happy to experience it.

And I got to pet a dog.