Philadelphia - Kimmel Center - 20th May

missemma
#teamshavedsides
#teamshavedsides
Pronouns: she/her

BUY TICKETS

Are you going to this date? Want to meet up with others? Post below and we will edit the first post with a list of people attending.

We want to hear all your reviews and opinions from this date. Seen a photo from the m&g you want to discuss, go ahead, we love a good discussion.

A few things:
- This forum is public, which means anyone can see information you post.
- If you are meeting up with others, please make sure you do this in a safe way. Make sure you know who you are meeting with beforehand, and do this in an open, safe place. Perhaps even Skype before to ensure your safety.
- If you are posting spoilers, please do so behind the spoiler tag.

Enjoy x
:prideheart: :gayaf: :prideheart:
DryCereal
koi pond

If anyone's going today have a fantastic time! And as ever, let us know how it was!!
IckleMissMayhem's evil fic writing alter ego. :twisted:
chloek88
spork

I'll be there tonight! Driving 2.5 hours there and then straight back home after the show lol. Feeling like I'll feel a bit out of place in the crowd (I'm 21 and attending alone) and dreading the 5 hours of driving... Very excited to see the boys in the flesh though!! I'll report back here if anything noteworthy happens :)
SquishPhan
capita£ester

Have lots of fun tonight chloek88.
majitzu
angel bean

Enjoy the show!!!
silverwinter
spork

I'm also going tonight! (I decided to go to D&P instead of my senior prom 8-) )
SquishPhan
capita£ester

silverwinter wrote:I'm also going tonight! (I decided to go to D&P instead of my senior prom 8-) )
Have an amazing night, and enjoy the show.
missemma
#teamshavedsides
#teamshavedsides

have a great time all, come back and give us reviews of the show!
SquishPhan
capita£ester

This is why I like these guys.
ironic
lady door

SquishPhan wrote: This is why I like these guys.
That's nice! I lurked on their profile and saw this video from the m&g
and damn, now I really want a hug from Phil.
If we all just traded in our knives for cakes, the world would be a better place.
SquishPhan
capita£ester

I also want a hug from Phil.
corn flakes
moon room

English is not my first language: half of the mistakes are typos ,half are me
Philena
blobfish

corn flakes wrote:
This guy's insta tags are hilarious!

Glad Steg got to meet deppy!
chloek88
spork

Just arrived home from the show tonight! I left the theatre and immediately messaged my friend saying "That was incredible. I feel giddy and elated" and I feel like that sums up the show (for me) pretty well. The effort they put into it (every tiny detail and reference oh my gosh!) and the ability they have to transfer their talent from on-screen to off was wonderful to witness.

SPOILERS AHEAD obvs. I haven't read many other reviews so hopefully this isn't too redundant. Also there's not much reasoning as to how I'll be arranging this. I'm sorry for how long it is, I bolded some parts for anyone who wants the tl;dr version of this review.

I'll get the negative out of the way... I don't know HOW they put up with their fans so patiently. My ears genuinely hurt at the level of screaming at points. And they were so loud that it was difficult to hear a lot of what Dan and Phil were saying, which was frustrating. I had cheap seats pretty far up, and was surrounded by some truly obnoxious people. A girl in front of me to my left was filming on her phone constantly (the staff kept shining his flashlight at her to get her to stop and she kept conveniently not noticing), a girl in front of me was literally watching Kylie Jenner snapchats, a girl to my right kept saying "literally me", "same" and "I relate" to EVERYTHING that happened on stage and a girl behind me kept screaming "GET NAKED" (particularly during silences in the 7 second challenge) to which everyone in my area responded with claps and laughter. Very frustrating. The "literally me" girl also kept loudly calling them dad. Everything she said was like your worst tumblr user come to life. A very weird experience.

On the other hand, there was something really pure and sweet about seeing so many quirky "weird" kids so enthusiastically enjoying themselves in a setting where they obviously felt so, so comfortable. The tailor-made playlist definitely helped with that. Also, lots of supportive moms and dads, which brought a smile to my face.

Some shallow observations: Dan's voice is much higher than I expected in person!
Their legs are gorgeous. Honestly gorgeous. I couldn't stop ogling them.
People here have talked a lot about Dan trying to appear shorter than he really is. And I know they both have bad posture, but I noticed Dan not just doing his typical semi-shoulder-slump, but also slightly bending his knees at almost all times, which made him appear shorter. Maybe he's just bending them to keep them from locking up but Phil wasn't doing the same.
Phil really is adorable. He hopped around in excitement a lot, is a lot more fluid with his body movements than I thought he'd be, and was just generally very physically expressive in a really delightful way.

The beginning part just before the boys stepped on stage when dramatic music plays and snippets of their videos play in backwards-chronological order got me all emotional. Seeing so much of what they've done together over the years in the context of an almost-sold-out TOUR that they were about to perform live on stage got me all soppy.

The fanfiction section was so cringey for me, I had my hand half over my face almost the whole time. I generally love how self-aware they are and how in tune they are with their fans, and it doesn't bother me in the slightest that they reference fanfictions. They know that we know and we know that they know etc. and I appreciate that they keep it real like that. But, seeing them act the script out in person and being surrounded by an irl audience RABIDLY screaming anytime anything suggestive occurred was almost unbearable. On the plus side, I loved their Southern accents (they did cowboys).

Loved Phil showing us Dan's bad selfies.

My favorite part of the show was during ISG with Dan. Someone asked what to do about spilled guacamole on their floor and Dan said last night he and Phil ordered Domino's in to their hotel and Dan spilled an entire thing of bright orange hot sauce on the carpet. At first they were going to try and cover it up with a lamp, but decided to try and get rid of the stain. He said with some scrubbing he got it out, and then corrected himself and said that dabbing it was a better method. The second he sad 'dab,' everyone in the audience did that arm movement (I had no clue what they were all doing at first and then remembered my little brother telling me about "dabbing" a few months ago). When he noticed, he laughed so hard, and said "yeah, don't scrub a stain. Dabbing's the way to go" and did the movement himself and everyone freaked out in response, which made him laugh even harder so he kept it up and said "Whoops, spilled some milk in the car, that's fine I'll just dab it up" and did the movement again super obnoxiously and just kept laughing at himself/the audience for a while. It was so cute and such hearty, genuine laughter; he seemed thrilled by the response he could elicit from the audiene. Plus I LOVE the thought of Dan scrubbing the hotel floor while Phil laughs at him and eats their pizza.

I did NOT expect them to start twerking (especially not dressed as old men). Dan was GOOD at it and also such a cheese, continuing to twerk long after he had to.

When they rolled out the shopping carts that had the fanmade crafts in them, Phil's was all sparkly and Dan's was just plain black, and they each had their first initial on the front. Dan was acting like he was disappointed by how boring his was, and then said "But, it does have big D on the front" and then the screams were so loud I couldn't catch the exact wording next but it was something along the lines of "so that makes up for it" or "so that's fitting"

Their voices were GOOD! And their dancing! Something I noticed was that Phil stared straight ahead for the entire song & dance number in the end, other than points where looking at eachother was obviously choreographed in. But Dan looked at Phil every 5 seconds or so for the entire song.

They were sheparded out of the theatre literally immediately. They must have run straight off stage into the bus. The stairs I left from exited directly in front of their tour bus and they were driving off just as I stepped outside. Drake the bodyguard was at the window by the front and waved at the fans standing outside as they pulled out and drove away, turning away from the direction of the theatre. The second bus, trailer, and large truck were still there obvs. (the merch lines were inSANE at the beginning and end of the show).

I loved the production value, the nuanced details like the snippets of news pieces of D&P in the future when the microwave was going haywire, and how 100% they threw themselves into it and were obviously so involved in the making of it. They didn't half-ass this in the slightest. I think it takes real talent to be able to so effectively move from one medium to another, especially when it's from the safety and control of recording and editing videos to the unpredictability and demanding nature of live shows. They did the fucking thing though, and they did it so well. They didn't seem nervous once, didn't flub anything, nailed every look, gesture, tone of voice, and timing. Seeing them confident and owning the stage the way they did was a gift. I didn't stop smiling once the entire show and I'm so immensely proud of them.
idk
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

chloek88 wrote:
My favorite part of the show was during ISG with Dan. Someone asked what to do about spilled guacamole on their floor and Dan said last night he and Phil ordered Domino's in to their hotel and Dan spilled an entire thing of bright orange hot sauce on the carpet. At first they were going to try and cover it up with a lamp, but decided to try and get rid of the stain. He said with some scrubbing he got it out, and then corrected himself and said that dabbing it was a better method. The second he sad 'dab,' everyone in the audience did that arm movement (I had no clue what they were all doing at first and then remembered my little brother telling me about "dabbing" a few months ago). When he noticed, he laughed so hard, and said "yeah, don't scrub a stain. Dabbing's the way to go" and did the movement himself and everyone freaked out in response, which made him laugh even harder so he kept it up and said "Whoops, spilled some milk in the car, that's fine I'll just dab it up" and did the movement again super obnoxiously and just kept laughing at himself/the audience for a while. It was so cute and such hearty, genuine laughter; he seemed thrilled by the response he could elicit from the audiene. Plus I LOVE the thought of Dan scrubbing the hotel floor while Phil laughs at him and eats their pizza.
this part sounds incredible! hahahah

what an awesome review!

now i'm really hanging out for the tour doco
blueapple_x
flower crown

Thanks for reviewing chloek88!!

That part about the dabbing sounds like it would've been fun to watch/experience haha. It's moments like these that are unique to each show that make me wish they filmed every show :(
SquishPhan
capita£ester

Thanks for the review chloek88.
Glad that you enjoyed the show.
hunnyftw
phabergé

chloek88 your review was really interesting to read, especially the parts that were unique to this show, eg the dab thing

Loved your description of Phil's body movement. I never met him but I'd imagine his movements as sort of choppy so I'm surprised that you saw something totally different. Now I'd be really interested to see the flow you described irl.

Also, I feel for you for having to endure all the obnoxious people in the audience near you. As a person who suffers from a severe case of second-hand embarassment in situations like the one you described, I admire your patience and the fact that in this part of your review you still managed to stay quite positive and focused more on the "young people being enthusiastic in a safe enviroment" aspect of it all. I probably would've snapped at some of these people.
sweetmm
angel bean
Pronouns: She/Her

Thanks chloek88 for sharing your experience :platonic:
missemma
#teamshavedsides
#teamshavedsides

Thanks chloek88, your review was amazing. I was chuckling at the bit about the audience around you!
I also loved the sound of the ISG questions, I can just imagine Dan scrubbing the carpet to get the bright orange stain out. I once got blue hairdye on a cream hotel carpet and just covered it with a lamp! D&P are better people than me :D
chloek88
spork

idk wrote: now i'm really hanging out for the tour doco
completely agree, seeing the show live made me SO much more excited for the documentary. i was thinking that as i was watching it. it'll be nice to catch anything i missed due to screaming, and it'll be so lovely to have it and be able to watch over and over, as a live performance is so fleeting.
blueapple_x wrote: That part about the dabbing sounds like it would've been fun to watch/experience haha. It's moments like these that are unique to each show that make me wish they filmed every show :(
Agreed. I'm hoping they filmed different locations, so maybe they'll splice together a few great moments from multiple shows? Like if an ISG from a show in new york was particularly great then include that, and if the crafts section from a show in toronto was stand-out then edit that in, etc. Doubtful, since that would definitely take more time, but a girl can dream. I think we did learn that they'd had camera crews at multiple locations though? But i know what you about wanting to see what each unique section looked like at each show.

hunnyftw wrote:Loved your description of Phil's body movement. I never met him but I'd imagine his movements as sort of choppy so I'm surprised that you saw something totally different. Now I'd be really interested to see the flow you described irl.
I thought the same, and expected his movements to be awkward/stilted. not at all though!

Thanks everyone, glad you all enjoyed the review! :)
mermaid blood
Moderator Emeritus

what a fantastic review, chloe. thank you. i ate up the details about how they come across unexpectedly different in person. especially satisfying to see the cliches you can't help but wonder about as a fan being exaggerated through too many hours of video analysis confirmed off-camera: Phil not holding as much eye contact, Dan modifying his size and speaking higher (wasn't 'higher' and 'softer' a comment from UK tour meet and greets also?). Interesting that Phil comes across so fluid and enthusiastic, there was a lot of talk over 2015 of the bour being Dan's idea and Phil begrudgingly going along with it. which i find hilarious to consider these days.

...what was Dan trying to say about the size of his D, though? surprised jhambs hasn't commented :lol:
art in avatar by lily