Melbourne - Palais Theatre - 21st August

akui
blobfish
Pronouns: She/Her

BUY TICKETS - Presale starts at 22nd June

Are you going to this date? Want to meet up with others? Post below and we will edit the first post with a list of people attending.

We want to hear all your reviews and opinions from this date. Seen a photo from the m&g you want to discuss, go ahead, we love a good discussion.

A few things:
- This forum is public, which means anyone can see information you post.
- If you are meeting up with others, please make sure you do this in a safe way. Make sure you know who you are meeting with beforehand, and do this in an open, safe place. Perhaps even Skype before to ensure your safety.
- If you are posting spoilers, please do so behind the spoiler tag.

Enjoy x
sweetmm
angel bean

mysterylovescompany
morning quiff

I'm going to this with my sister! I'm so glad I was there right on time, because I checked back immediately after buying tickets in the presale on Wednesday, and there were no more to be had for love or money. The general sale seems to have sold out REALLY fast this morning, as well. Anyone else going?
missemma
#teamshavedsides
#teamshavedsides
Pronouns: she/her

New date added for this venue, an afternoon show will be on sale on the 18th July.
:prideheart: :gayaf: :prideheart:
timtam
lady door

Okay so I caved and brought tickets to the afternoon show.

I cannot believe that Dan and Phil only gave 12 hours notice before the tickets went on sale. Plus it was night time in Australia so there's a chance people wouldn't have even seen it? I totally understand everyone's complaints about tickets for UK/USA now. Completely the wrong was to do it.
CourtneytuXme
not a first-time poster

Hey, so me and my friend brought two tickets for this show however, as we have to travel quite a bit to get to Melbourne, we wanted to know if anyone would swap there matinee for our night ticktets :platonic:
timtam
lady door

CourtneytuXme wrote:Hey, so me and my friend brought two tickets for this show however, as we have to travel quite a bit to get to Melbourne, we wanted to know if anyone would swap there matinee for our night ticktets :platonic:
Sorry I can't help you! I've got a 6 hour drive myself to get to the show. I hope you find someone to swap!
CourtneytuXme
not a first-time poster

Thank you, yikes have fun!
hiddenwombat
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

CourtneytuXme wrote:Hey, so me and my friend brought two tickets for this show however, as we have to travel quite a bit to get to Melbourne, we wanted to know if anyone would swap there matinee for our night ticktets :platonic:
if you're still around and are happy with it, i'm happy to buy matinee tickets for you and swap so i can attend the night! i missed out on round one and am working during the day so cant make the matinee.
starlight-still
truth bomb

Early Melbourne VIP brought it with lots of fun poses!
Aww :D
Someone made them for real!
8-)
What is that even on Phil's head :lol:
:lol:
8-)
A memorable one
One of my all time favorites...just look at Dan
Phil, dat passé, I'm impressed

Bonus round: Phil's squatty lean
blueapple_x
flower crown

mysterylovescompany
morning quiff

Just want to say that I went to the evening show and enjoyed it so much! I will come back and write a review tomorrow or soon. But yeah. I had a lot of fun. (the screaming was really intense, though)
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

mysterylovescompany wrote:Just want to say that I went to the evening show and enjoyed it so much! I will come back and write a review tomorrow or soon. But yeah. I had a lot of fun. (the screaming was really intense, though)
Can't wait for your review!!
timtam
lady door

I went to matinee show and I had an absolutely fabulous time. My friend and I were clearly some of the oldest people there and the screaming was so intense (and the theatre wasn't even full). I'm so glad I went because the show was fantastic and seeing all the fans screaming and having whiskers on their noses etc was an experience in itself!

I'll write up a review sometime soon. Will be interesting to see if there are any difference between mysterylovescompany's show/experience and mine!
mysterylovescompany
morning quiff

All right. Review time! *tries to crack knuckles and fails* Well, this is less a review and more a mad recollection of things that happened. It's in dot points; please excuse the mess. I'm going to assume that whoever reads this has either seen the show or read previous reviews and is therefore able to fill in the gaps.

BEFORE THE SHOW (no spoilers! it's just a jotting of my theatre experience)
-arrived at the theatre at six pm (this was actually a nice time to arrive as it was a bit busy, but not the enormous crowd that was there by the time the doors were opened)
-it was raining when we arrived (typical Melbourne) but not very heavily, and it died off soon enough
-my sister and I got in line to wait for the doors, and enjoyed the atmosphere while we waited
-LOTS of cat whiskers , lots of people wearing merch, some people wearing various D&P outfits (eclipse shirt, dinosaur onesie, etc.) and even a number of Dil cosplays, which were super cute
-crowd: mostly teenage girls, some parents, about ten to fifteen boys, at least two girls in wheelchairs, well-represented ethnic groups, many girls with short hair
-lots of girls hyperventilating (I can't believe I'm actually going to see them after SIX YEARS, etc., etc.)
-VERY busy outside, but once we got indoors and upstairs to buy merch, it was better and the merch line took only ten minutes
-forgot about submitting anything, but it was okay as I didn't really have any ideas anyway
-found our seats in the theatre (everyone was singing/screaming along to Victorious by Panic! at the Disco (I had to look it up)
-there were cheers/screams between every song in the preshow
-I took a pic of the stage before the show and a pic of me and my sister (not posting it here, but they're on my twitter)
-everyone went WILD while singing along to Toxic
-LIGHT EM UP UP UP UP UP UP (my songs know what you did in the dark)
-luckily we were next to the aisle on one side (the other was a girl and a boy, probably her boyfriend, neither of whom did any screaming)
-full on deafening shrieks when the countdown began and the lights went out
THE SHOW (spoilers!)
Intro/First bit
-my first thought when Dan opened his mouth was that he sounded congested
-Phil was so cute when Dan yelled at him for microwaving his laptop
-Dan asked the crowd to name his llama and someone said Phil, to which he was hilariously amused :lol:

Magic show
-probably very simple tricks, but I was impressed
-Phil being silent was very entertaining
-No mistakes as far as I could see
-Dan's reactions made me laugh a lot
-He gave the long paper from Phil's mouth to a girl in the front row (after saying 'really? REALLY?')
-He also asked who wanted the bowling ball and was sassily disgusted when someone held her arms out

7SC
-to start, they got the audience to do three animal impressions each (which was funny bc of the fail factor)
-Dan made up a rap about Melbourne and actually managed to rhyme (it had something to do with the rain)
-Dan was challenged to do the sexy endscreen dance, did it successfully and then said that there was a reason he stopped doing it (bc it was extremely inappropriate and weird)
-Dan complimented Phil five times, all extremely quickly (you've got cool black hair, you're really nice and tall, etc.)
-Phil was supposed to spell Australia backwards and failed badly, prompting 'all or nothing'
-Dan (prompted by a strange card with a question mark) was meant to transform into a whale and get to the other side of the room (he spent most of the time panicking, lol)

Why I was a weird kid
-cute but not the best part of the show
-Phil told about wanting a broken arm and pretending he'd moved to Australia (lol, appropriate)
-a girl had a crush on Puss in Boots from Shrek
-one girl used to tie herself to poles (four young Phils out of five)
-another girl used to sharpen her fingers, making everyone cringe (five young Phils out of five)

Crafty corner
-Dan made a joke about his trolley having a big D on it
-an AMAZING squareflake/glitterface combo that was a pic of
- handmade plush cacti
-a boomerang with the deppy koala pics on it (Phil threw it and it hit a bit of equipment on the side of the stage)
-an amazing Dan & Shrek drawing (fun fact: I know the girl who submitted this! she is my beta for a certain phandom project and we met face to face for the first time after the show! she is the girl in the first pic that blueapple_x posted :platonic: )
-D&P meme face masks (Phil wore the doge one and Dan wore the Pepe one)
-an unbelievably censored popup book which was a rather transparent way to end the section, but I enjoyed it nonetheless

Internet Support Group
-not very memorable as I can't recall many specific examples
-one question was from a parent who wanted to know if Dan's videos were safe for her child to watch, prompting Dan to put the glass of Ribena out of sight and do an awkward laugh

Fanfiction section
-each subsequent pick was even more heavily weighted on one side than the other in terms of cheering
-cowboys (as opposed to pirates)
-Dan: 'You don't need to add "Phil said"!'
-narrator: 'You are not the narrator'
-Dan's reaction :lol:
-camping (as opposed to in space)
-Phil drew Dan like a French girl (as opposed to them eating a delicious cake)
-Dan's attempted accent :lol:
-should Dan and Phil do the dishes or do the dishes?
-they threw paper plates into the audience, and my sister got one that landed in the aisle right next to us

Future
-probably the weakest part of the whole show imho, but it was still funny and clever
-memorable for the nostalgia factor it gave me (reminded me of TABINOF, 'we'll keep doing this until it stops being fun' and 'there were once these two guys called Dan and Phil who created this whole world' :cry: )
-everyone went wild when they drew cat whiskers on each other

Dil
-about ten people probably crapped themselves when DIL appeared on the screens
-I loved this plot twist, very clever and ingenious
-Dil's little speech to was really sweet (I want to imagine that Dan wrote Dil's lines to Phil, and Phil wrote Dil's lines to Dan )

Song and dance
-I loved this performance so much, especially after the little hints of Phil's singing that we got earlier
-they were wearing gold jackets
-Dan's hair was curling and they both looked stunning
-if I were a crier I might have cried
-everyone screamed when they gazed into each other's eyes near the end (yeah, even I was )
-the loudest screams at all were right when said goodbye (I was almost deafened), and nobody wanted them to go :wahh:
-of course the song after they left the stage was All Star (I was wondering why it wasn't in the preshow, and it playing at the end made me feel rickrolled :lol: )
There's probably loads I've forgotten (like Phil's 7SCs, but they clearly can't have been that memorable!). If you ask me questions, it will probably jog my memory.
akui
blobfish

mysterylovescompany

Awww thank you for your review! It's not a surprise that its basically same to the sydney show, but i really wanted more improve. :wahh:
The dil speech sounds very Dan-ish tho, i imagine that he wrote it.

Also i wonder if there really is a show where people chose pirates instead of cowboys. I screamed for cowboy cuz i want to see a brokeback mountain AU.
mysterylovescompany
morning quiff

akui wrote:mysterylovescompany

Awww thank you for your review! It's not a surprise that its basically same to the sydney show, but i really wanted more improve. :wahh:
The dil speech sounds very Dan-ish tho, i imagine that he wrote it.

Also i wonder if there really is a show where people chose pirates instead of cowboys. I screamed for cowboy cuz i want to see a brokeback mountain AU.
That was my second thought, and is more sensible, because Dan is so waffley (e.g. at the end of TABINOF), but my first thought was to be complete .

I hope they filmed all possible combinations of the fanfiction section when they filmed the show for the YTR video! It would take away some of the fun if they didn't. When they showed the option for cowboys, I thought of Brokeback Mountain too ... I think everybody did! :lol:
SquishPhan
capita£ester

Thanks for your review mysterylovescompany. I enjoyed reading it.