> This post will cover Dan and Phil's GCSEs, A-levels, and university experiences.
Timeline of Dan’s university career:
Detailed info and tweets under the spoiler!
2008-2009 - Dan’s last year of college (for Americans: high school)
- June 2009 - Dan finishes 6th form (for Americans: end of high school)
Dan’s university offer is AAA, meaning he needs to get an A in three of his A-levels in order to attend. He got an A in Geography and Law, but he “failed” his psychology exam (meaning he only got two A's, rather than the required three).
So he decides to take gap year and resit his psychology A-level the following February.
- January 2010 - Dan does a month’s-long internship / work experience thing at AOL
January-February 2010 - Dan half-asses his psychology revision3 February 2010 - Dan retakes his psychology A-level4 February 2010 - Dan receives an unconditional offer to Manchester University (even though he didn’t have the grades they asked for)11 March 2010 - Dan receives his psychology resit grade: he got an AMarch 2010 - Dan visits universities...and ultimately decides to attend the University of Manchester.
- September 2010 - Dan starts uni
January 2011 - Dan takes his first-semester exams and passes all of themMay 2011 - Dan takes his second-semester examsThis time, he presumably does not pass one of them, as he is supposed to resit one of his exams in August.
August 2011 - Dan decides not to resit his exam and to instead take a year off and, if he decides to go back to uni, resit the exam the following August (2012).
- Summer 2012 - Dan and Phil receive a call from Radio 1, and they are offered the Request Show [Source: Dan's DML]. They move to London. Dan decides not to return to uni.
24 October 2012 - Dan’s withdrawal is finalized, effective 6 June 2011"I had already been offered a job by Radio 1 when I dropped out of university." [Source: 2013 Liveshow]
College dropout letter:
What GCSEs did Dan and Phil do and what were their grades?
- Art (Graphic Design) - A
- French - C
- Art (Graphic Design) - C
What did Dan and Phil do for A-levels and what were their grades?
- English Literature - B
- General Studies [which doesn’t count for university] - A
- Geography - A
- Law - A
- Psychology - A (on his resit - he “failed” the first time, though who knows what that means)
- Art (AS) - C
- English Language - B
- Media Studies - A
- Psychology - A
What degrees did Phil get?
- 2008: BA English Language and Linguistics
- 2010: MA Postproduction with Visual Effects 2010
Phil talking about linguistics, Nov 16th 2017 liveshow (from minute 22.00)
What did Dan and Phil do for work experience?
- Phil: working with a veterinarian (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZVzkOC9w1MY)
- Dan: lifeguard at a leisure center
Did Dan and Phil do well academically?