Vidcon US July 11-14 2019

A place to discuss any IRL interactions with Dan & Phil.
plinthofmylife
janice from the shop
Pronouns: she/her

DNP are going to be there!

I am too! I will try to put whatever info I get from their panels in this bit here and maybe if you'll be there, let me know and I'll tell you who I am IRL.
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

I'm also going to be at vidcon! I was I'm about probably audio recording their panels so people have a chance to listen to them/know what was said if vidcon doesnt upload them or takes a while to upload them to their channel. It would be cute to have a little idb meet up maybe before or after one of their panels (tho that's definitely something to be discussed in pms lol).
Ataraxia25
flower crown
Pronouns: they/them

Hey! I'll be there too! :happytears:
:gayaf:
DnP1991
tol bean

I'm going to be there at vidcon! I got a ticket on the off chance the lottery might work in my favor, and it actually did!
I'm going to be at their meet and greet, which, I am absolutely shaking about.

I have some questions, as its my first time meeting them, and my first time meeting anyone that inspires me. How does it actually work? I figure it goes really really quickly. Whats the etiquette here for interacting with them? Probably not enough time to get them to sign something. I'm so nervous I'll mess up. Phil is my absolute favorite, but Dan has been so important to me actually figuring my mental health out as an adult. I met Martyn and Cornelia at vidcon 2017 and I was so nervous meeting just them that I might have accidentally slighted Cornelia. I'd hate to do that with DnP.

I'm really nervous, and anyone who has met them before and has any advice, I'm all ears.
itasca00
moon room
Pronouns: He/Him/His

DnP1991 wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:46 pm
I'm going to be there at vidcon! I got a ticket on the off chance the lottery might work in my favor, and it actually did!
I'm going to be at their meet and greet, which, I am absolutely shaking about.

I have some questions, as its my first time meeting them, and my first time meeting anyone that inspires me. How does it actually work? I figure it goes really really quickly. Whats the etiquette here for interacting with them? Probably not enough time to get them to sign something. I'm so nervous I'll mess up. Phil is my absolute favorite, but Dan has been so important to me actually figuring my mental health out as an adult. I met Martyn and Cornelia at vidcon 2017 and I was so nervous meeting just them that I might have accidentally slighted Cornelia. I'd hate to do that with DnP.

I'm really nervous, and anyone who has met them before and has any advice, I'm all ears.
I would check out meetingphan on Twitter and scroll back through some of the meet and greets done for Interactive Introverts. A lot of people have a friend film their interaction or they use a screen recorder on their phone or both, and you can watch those videos to get a sense of what the process is like.

Your VidCon Meet and Greet lottery results will say for sure (i.e., it will say "professional photographer" or "selfies and autographs"), but Dan and Phil did selfies and autographs for Interactive Introverts and TATINOF. If they also do this at VidCon, then the process looks like this:
  1. Phil welcomes you into a hug with open arms and greets you.
  2. You turn to Dan, who also gives you a hug. In the meantime, Phil is handed the item you want signed by an aide.
  3. You step back from Dan's hug, and Dan and Phil simultaneously sign your item while saying something nice to you. Or you can take the initiative and say something to them.
  4. After they're done signing your item, they'll ask if you want to take a photo and ask for your phone. You get between them, and Dan will take a picture. The standard pose is to put your arms on each other's backs, but you can request something different if you want.
  5. After this, they'll start saying goodbye. You have a second opportunity to say something if you want, but then you will also have to say goodbye.
The whole process takes 30-90 seconds, depending on how long the thing you say to them takes, and it works as a very well-oiled machine. You really don't need to worry about messing up or feeling embarrassed with them. They've met so many people at this point that they've really seen it all. They will be incredibly gracious no matter what you say or do, and they will do their best to make sure you have a positive experience that you feel good about.
You're being beamed up by aggressive aliens and they're plugging in the anal probe
"Oh, God. Okay. I say: *shrug* [...] I'd be like, 'I don't know how this works. Put a condom on that thing. *shrug*'"
Dan Howell, 5/10/18 Try new things..?
DnP1991
tol bean

itasca00 wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:20 am
I would check out meetingphan on Twitter and scroll back through some of the meet and greets done for Interactive Introverts. A lot of people have a friend film their interaction or they use a screen recorder on their phone or both, and you can watch those videos to get a sense of what the process is like.

Your VidCon Meet and Greet lottery results will say for sure (i.e., it will say "professional photographer" or "selfies and autographs"),
The results say it's going to be a professional photo. I'm definitely going to scroll back through meetingphan. Normally I check out the photos but I'm not wishing I had studied some of the videos! What do you mean by screen recorder? Like the general audio recorder?

Thanks for the response, it made me feel a lot less nervous, and more excited! <3
itasca00
moon room
Pronouns: He/Him/His

DnP1991 wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:01 am
The results say it's going to be a professional photo. I'm definitely going to scroll back through meetingphan. Normally I check out the photos but I'm not wishing I had studied some of the videos! What do you mean by screen recorder? Like the general audio recorder?

Thanks for the response, it made me feel a lot less nervous, and more excited! <3
Looks like they used a professional photographer at VidCon back in 2016, but they still had Sharpies to sign things. It might be different this year, but I would come prepared with something for them to sign.

With regard to the screen recorder, there are apps/features on Android/iOS devices that can record your phone's screen. People will turn on the screen recorder then open their camera app, and this will capture their entire experience from the perspective of the front-facing camera. This is primarily done to get video of Dan taking the selfie, but, when there's audio, it can also help give you a general sense of how a meet-and-greet goes.

I'm glad you're feeling excited! I'm super excited for you and everyone else that gets to meet them, and I can't wait to check out all the photos that people post!
You're being beamed up by aggressive aliens and they're plugging in the anal probe
"Oh, God. Okay. I say: *shrug* [...] I'd be like, 'I don't know how this works. Put a condom on that thing. *shrug*'"
Dan Howell, 5/10/18 Try new things..?
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

So vidcon is soon! Any idb members wanna get together at some point? (Arranged in dms ofc lol) Just thought I'd throw the offer out there :D