Dan Liveshow (Joint) - 19 December 2018

Dan and Phil liveshows
itasca00
moon room
Pronouns: He/Him/His

You're being beamed up by aggressive aliens and they're plugging in the anal probe
"Oh, God. Okay. I say: *shrug* [...] I'd be like, 'I don't know how this works. Put a condom on that thing. *shrug*'"
Dan Howell, 5/10/18 Try new things..?
itasca00
moon room

itasca00 wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:06 am
The real reason the final Dan vs. Phil video bummed me out so much yesterday was exactly because it felt like Dan and Phil were cutting all ties between DanAndPhilGAMES and 2019. It felt like they were leaving open the possibility of announcing a hiatus (or even an end) to the gaming channel. Yesterday, I consoled myself with the knowledge that it was obvious that they weren’t leaving the internet for good, and I have to say that this liveshow made me feel even better about the situation. It’s so much better to know where their heads are at than to be left in the dark guessing as to what’s going to happen next, and it sounds like they’re definitely thinking this will be a shorter rather than longer hiatus.

After PINOF 10, I also felt like they were definitely leaving open the possibility of having it be the final one. PINOFs are some of my favorite videos, and I’m definitely going to miss them. But I also understand why they felt they needed to end the series. It’s impossible to top yourself every year, and, like they said, many people feel that it’s best to end something that’s popular on a high. (I don’t personally agree, but I do understand.)

To anyone out there who’s feeling low after the liveshow, I say: Give it some time. It’s clear that Dan and Phil aren’t going anywhere, and, if we want them to continue to stick around online for years to come, they need to be happy with what they’re doing. That means they need room to grow and make changes and try new things. I trust Dan and Phil, and I’m sure that whatever’s coming next will be amazing. :sunshine:
With all that said, here are my (somewhat comprehensive) highlights for the liveshow:
  • The first thing I noticed was that Phil was being serious about the antlers in his tweet about the liveshow! I don’t know why I doubted that he was, but it’s just so cute!
  • [0:50] Dan announces that this will be the last liveshow of the year.
  • [1:02] Phil hits Dan in the face with his antlers, and Dan bends the antler out of the way. Then, Phil responds:
    P: Hey! Don’t erect my antler!
    D: I’ll do whatever I want to your antlers. That was--Okay.
    P: Now they’re really wonky. They’re like a deer that failed to fight for another deer.
    D: Yes, I love these. I’m, like, stumpy, and it’s kinda cute.
    P: What part of the reindeer’s body is this, though? *touches Dan’s earmuff*
    D: I don’t want to think--Like, each ass--I don’t know the size.
    P: Ass cheeks?!
  • [2:26] This is the last liveshow of the year because Phil will be staying with his family for nine days over Christmas. Dan doesn’t relate. He tries to spend as little time at his family’s house as possible because he feels like he reverts to being a child when staying in his old bedroom under his parents’ rules. Phil says that Dan’s family is lovely, and he asks whether Dan’s room still has a gold wall. Dan doesn’t know.
  • [3:57] Phil likes going home because his mom makes nice food for him, and Dan agrees that Phil’s mom is an amazing host. Apparently, Phil’s parents love to host people in their house, and they do so all the time.
  • [4:31] Phil’s mom invited Dan to stay at their house, and it took a bit of convincing before he agreed. He didn’t want to “go somewhere and then come back” because it sounded “boring.” But Phil’s mom eventually won him over by telling him about all the mince pies she had made for everyone. Dan will be with the Lesters for a while, but he’s definitely spending Christmas with his family.
  • [6:29] Dan tells a story of being shouted at by his neighbor. Apparently, he was singing “Helena” by My Chemical Romance very loudly while playing Rock Band...at 2am. Phil explained that they had been out for a Christmas thing with some friends. Dan’s excuse is that he didn’t know that their neighbor would be home because they’re never there, and he and Phil had heard that their neighbor uses their apartment as an office.
  • [9:35] Phil tells the story of the tweet below.
  • [11:34] Dan comments on how sad it is that they have such terrible internet while living in Central London.
  • [11:51] Dan tells the story of the tweet below.
  • [13:25] Someone in chat tells Dan to change his profile picture. Dan’s response is not audible in the recording, and it wasn’t audible when I watched the liveshow live. Phil’s response is pretty great, though:
    P: What you could do is just go scribble some curls on, uh, Photoshop, and you’d be fine.
    D: I’m--Yes, totally. That’s--That’s what my hair looks like. Thank you, Phil.
    P: Or take a photo of some spaghetti and just superimpose that on top of your head on the picture.
    D: Okay. That’s disturbing.
  • [17:13] Dan and Phil talk about the Interactive Introverts Tumblr Answer Time. Dan says he liked it better than the TATINOF one because this one was more than just text, and Phil says it was more low-key because they just did it in their apartment rather than at Tumblr headquarters. Dan says that they got an email from Tumblr saying that their Answer Time was the most popular of all time ever. They say that this Answer Time got more questions than any other Answer Time ever has.
  • [19:23] Dan says that he’s stealing all of the decorations from the London pop-up shop that were bought and not rented. He wants several of the houseplants and especially the neon sign that says “the void” (pictured below). Phil says he wanted to hang “the void” sign above the toilet, but Dan refused. Dan’s going to put it where he films his videos. As he’s said in the past, Dan wants to have “a more attractive, aesthetic video station.” He says he feels like he can do more.
  • [19:45] Phil explains that he also wants to change his video background.
    P: I was saying that too also about mine. Wasn’t I?
    D: Yeah, but you don’t have an idea yet.
    P: I don’t have an idea yet, but I do want to--I want to change it up a bit.
    D: How?
    P: Well, I don’t think I’m gonna sit in front of a bed any more.
    D: Why?
    P: I dunno! I just wanna have a different vibe. You know? I wanna--
    D: But, yeah, but a--but… What sort of things?
    P: What do you mean? In the background?
    D: You need like--You need like cute lighting.
    P: Yeah.
    D: Like, background lights. Couple trinkets.
    P: I think I’m gonna keep some of the f--
    D: Are you gonna have a wall color?
    P: Ooh. I think I’m--
    D: Are you gonna have like a green and a blue wall?
    P: I’m gonna keep the Phil aesthetic. Definitely.
    D: Yeah.
    P: I mean, maybe I’ll just sit in--sit in front of, like, a wall of plants.
    D: When are you--Just one of those vertical planters and be like, “Hi, I’m Phil.”
    D: “I’m in the rainforest.” I hate those. Uh, no offense.
    P: I might do that. Um, yeah. I just--
    D: When are you gonna do that?
    P: Uhh.
    D: January? [unintelligible]
    P: Uh, I--I might...
    D: Can you--Can you involve everybody in the process? If I did that, I--
    P: I might [unintelligible]
    D: [unintelligible] involve. Let’s make it like a--a group project.
    P: A project. Yeah.
    D: Everyone has a say. Do everything via votes on Instagram Stories.
    P: I will. Just every single thing.
    D: But, actually, every time I’ve ever done that, people have been like, “Hey, Dan, what should I change my hair to?” and everyone’s just like, “The bowl cut.”
    D: So maybe don’t--Give them options that you’re happy with.
    P: It will take a while to change it up. But I ju--I--I wanna, like, maybe do that.
  • [20:59] Dan and Phil talk about the last three gaming videos they’ve posted (the final Dan vs. Phil, Heartthrob, and the final golf game).
  • [22:29] Dan and Phil announce that they’re taking a pause on uploading to DanAndPhilGAMES. It’s not a “life thing.” They just want to pause to have a “creative think.” They want to pause the ongoing commitment to have an assessment. There is no plan. It could be three weeks. It could be six months. It could be 52 years.
  • [24:05] Dan reassures everyone that they’re not going anywhere:
    D: ‘Cause Phil’s, uh, not redoing his AmazingPhil background in order to not upload anymore.
    P: No. You will see me on there.
    D: And theoretically, um, if I ever upload on danisnotonfire again--
    D: --the uploads will be more regular than they are now, so that’s--that’s great.
    P: So you’ll still see us on the internet. Don’t worry about that.
  • [24:28] Dan thinks that, if this was to be the last thing on DanAndPhilGAMES, it had to be The Sims. Phil thinks it’s the perfect way to close this chapter on DanAndPhilGAMES. Phil thanks everyone who has supported DanAndPhilGAMES up to this pause. Phil thinks it’s better to take a deliberate pause than to let things fizzle out while they’re figuring things out.
  • [25:35] Dan and Phil announce that PINOF 10 was the last one. Phil thinks it was somewhat obvious. He’s wrong. Dan says that, for years, they’ve said they’d do ten PINOFs. Phil didn’t want to say that in a video because it would ruin some of the magic. Dan agrees that you can’t be meta in a PINOF. Dan and Phil agree that it’s best to end something “on a high” or “when it’s good.” They compare PINOF to your favorite TV show, saying that, after 27 seasons, you wouldn’t care any more, the creators wouldn’t care any more, and it wouldn’t be magical any more. Dan says they tried to do things that made it seem more like the first PINOF.
  • [27:42] Dan reads a chat comment asking about yearly mukbangs. Dan says there are plenty of recurring series that will still happen that aren’t as special as PINOF. Phil promises that there’s going to be another mukbang. Dan brings up baking and says that they could keep baking for 80 years without ruining it, unlike PINOF.
  • [28:19] Phil brings up PINOF 10 bloopers. Dan says he doesn’t know if that exists and that that’s a big thing for Phil to just randomly suggest. :lol:
  • [28:42] Some interesting perspectives from Dan and Phil:
    D: But hey, it’s a good thing! Hurray for personal growth.
    D: And doing positive things for your mental health. And, you know, don’t ever feel like you gotta keep doing something--
    P: Just because people expect it.
    D: Always in your--Always in your--No, but, like...of the keeping going thing.
    P: Oh, yeah.
    D: Take a moment to pause for yourself and think about what you’re doing and what you want the future to be.
    D: Don’t just let things keep going on as [audio cuts out] time slip away.
    P: Mmm.
    D: The time to stop and think. Like, think again: What am I doing?
  • [29:16] Phil says that there will still be things. You can’t just expect them to do nothing next year.
  • [29:44] It sounds like Dan definitely has a goal of uploading something near the beginning of next year.
  • [30:46] Dan returns to the story of him bothering his neighbor with his singing at 2am. Dan imitates his own singing, and Phil covers Dan’s mouth with his arm. :D
  • [31:37] Dan and Phil are delaying the Interactive Introverts Twitter viewing party until January because they have realized that many people will not get their copy until after Christmas. (Good job, boys! :thumb:)
  • [32:39] Dan reads a question from the chat about whether they are moving. They both say no.
  • [32:56] Phil says that there were two things that made him realize that 2018 had been a long year. One was the birth of Colleen Ballinger’s baby. The other was the realization that Queer Eye was released in 2018.
  • [33:10] Dan reads a question about whether they can get a dog in 2019, and Phil answers by asking rhetorically whether they can look after themselves.
  • [33:52] Dan says that he wanted Joe Sugg to win Strictly Come Dancing because he worked so hard. Phil says he wanted Joe to win because he’s a “good egg.” They say that he’s a good representative of the YouTube world, and he’s not Logan Paul. At [34:49], Dan reads a chat comment saying that “you” on Strictly would be hilarious. He questions who and makes a joke about him and Phil going on together at the same time while strapped together for some three-legged dancing. I’d watch
  • [34:54] Phil tells a story about not knowing his left from his right. The other day, he (and it sounds like Dan too) was in a taxi, and he gave the driver the wrong directions, making him drive away from his and Dan’s apartment.
  • [35:51] Dan recaps the liveshow saying that PINOF 10 was the last one and that they’re taking a break from the gaming channel for a bit. He says there’s no other extended Dan and Phil apocalypse. He qualifies that it would be a problem if YouTube shut down due to Article 13. Phil jokes that they would then move to America.
  • [38:35] Dan and Phil say they haven’t exchanged gifts yet, but they have both bought each other gifts. Dan says that he got Phil something that he doesn’t want Phil to break. Phil says Dan’s is food related.
  • [39:03] Phil says that he gifted himself a coat that Dan hates. Phil showed his “other friend” the coat, and she said it was “interesting.” Dan’s first complaint is that Phil already has four coats. He also says that it’s easy for Phil to look cool because he has pale skin and black hair, and he already has the perfect navy coat (pictured below).
    He doesn’t think the colors of Phil’s new coat look good on Phil. Phil reads some comments from the chat that are supportive before saying:
    P: The survey says…
    D: Shut the fuck up. The surveys disagree. Right.
    P: We support it.
    D: “Parkas” are nice.
    P: Dan is jealous.
    Dan reiterates that Phil’s navy coat makes him look really cool. :lol:
  • [41:47] Phil shows a present to show off how good his wrapping skills have gotten. Dan asks if the present is for him, and Phil says no. Dan says Phil wouldn’t try that hard for him.
  • [42:21] Dan says that his family is having a full vegan Christmas this year, much to the chagrin of his grandmother. He says that their grandmother is supposed to be the Christian of the family, and his family asked her, “What would Jesus do?” Dan thinks Jesus would like a vegan Christmas, but his grandmother disagrees. Dan says they’ll be having something more interesting than a nut roast because his brother and his mom are better at cooking than he is.
  • [43:11] Phil shows that he got a bag of liquorice for his mom for Christmas, and he says he’s had a really, really hard time forcing himself not to open it to eat it himself. Dan’s reaction is priceless.
  • [43:56] Dan and Phil show a gift that the BBC sent them. The gift is a framed, blown up picture of the cover of the Interactive Introverts DVD that they’re going to hang on the wall.
  • [44:42] Dan and Phil address the perception that Ellen DeGeneres has ripped off Truth Bombs. Phil does think Ellen’s app is very similar, but he likes to give people the benefit of the doubt. They also address the perception that Ellen ripped off The 7 Second Challenge, and they say that everyone ripped it off. Phil says that it’s fine. They’re okay and over it.
  • [46:01] Dan says not to have a meltdown. Phil confirms that he and Dan are still friends. Dan makes a series of jokes about how they secretly hate each other. Then, he concludes:
    D: But, no. People are only saying that because they care--
    P: Thank you for caring!
    D: --and we appreciate that people care.
    P: We care about you! Yeah.
    D: But it’s all in the service of doing even better things for you to enjoy.
    P: Yes.
    D: So it’s all good.
    P: It’s all good.
You're being beamed up by aggressive aliens and they're plugging in the anal probe
"Oh, God. Okay. I say: *shrug* [...] I'd be like, 'I don't know how this works. Put a condom on that thing. *shrug*'"
itasca00
moon room

• [22:28]
    alittledizzy wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:41 pm For anyone who wants to pick apart the wording - tried my best through the glitches.

D; Although, I feel like there is something we should mention.
    P: Oh yes.
    D: Probably in a liveshow.
    P: I think it'd be good to like - pre, like. Tell you.
    D: And it allows us to be more conversational than just dramatic.
    D: And some of you probably already guessed because of the Dan vs. Phil video-
    D: But after Dilmas we are going on break from Dan and Phil Games. This is just a creative think about what we want to do next. It's not like a - a life thing.
    P: What did I say? It's like a hiatus.
    D: Well, okay, Phil made a whole inappropriate joke-
    P: You'll see that in the video.
    D: But it's like I said on my, my tumblr post. It's like we're just stopping the train for a minute so we can have a think about where the train is going.
    P: It's a pause. We're pausing the train.
    D: Actually, I didn't say that on tumblr.
    P: No.
    D: But that - that's actually an amazing metaphor and I wish I did, so I'm gonna take credit for that.
    [they talk about it glitching as they were talking]

D: We're taking a pause on uploading to DAPG for a bit.
    D: But there's no plan.
    D: It could just - and this is just for us to have a - it's just to stop the ongoing commitment i order to have an assessment.
    D: It could be three weeks. It could be six months. It could be fifty two years.
    P: Just, we wanna-
    D: We haven't made a decision.
    P: We just want to have a think about what we're gonna do.
    D: It's just - instead of us just uploading Dilmas and then-
    P: Disappearing
    D: Nothing. And then on January 30th you're like, did ya'll forget the password? So.
    D: Don't worry.
    P: We want a bit of a creative break.
    D: We're not disappearing from the internet.