The TalentWorks Podcast: Episode 13: Daniel Howell (17 July 2019)

itasca00
moon room
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Listen to the podcast episode using any of the links below:
You're being beamed up by aggressive aliens and they're plugging in the anal probe
"Oh, God. Okay. I say: *shrug* [...] I'd be like, 'I don't know how this works. Put a condom on that thing. *shrug*'"
Dan Howell, 5/10/18 Try new things..?
itasca00
moon room
Pronouns: He/Him/His

alittledizzy wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:20 pm For the no-podcast crowd, some timestamps:

2:21 - Talking about a sketch he did as a kid where he and his friends were all on drugs, drama teacher was horrified.
2:48 - Does not come from a creative family.
4:22 - Didn't tell any of his friends he was going to make youtube videos.
5:06 - Talking through his creative process.
6:27 - Dad mention; his always had Mock the Week etc on and he naturally absorbed references.
7:17 - He's neurotically obsessed with trying to stay authentic but tries to be responsible.
8:01 - He makes videos about personal things, or opinions. One of his first videos that got big was about fanfiction.
9:21 - Collaborating with others/off-platform work. He enjoys having creative input from a team (like with books) but he's used to having total control.
11:53 - Looking forward to comedy acting or writing a script because those are things he hasn't done.
13:41 - Host says Dan has been a sponge/taking things in at the comedy writer's retreat they recorded this at.
14:54 - He describes TATINOF.
16:03 - Talking about Interactive Introvert/how it was different from TATINOF.
17:45 - "We trusted each other and the people on our crew not to put something wildly inappropriate on the screen."
20:24 - He felt comfortable with the uncomfortable nature of the audienc interaction because he and Phil were "quite comforting supporting each other as performers."
20:51 - Youtube mindset is that the performer does everything from tech stuff to marketing. Makes them massive control freaks.
22:11 - He is most creatively proud of the two stage shows he did with Phil.
22:48 - In terms of videos, he's proud of Tour of my Brain for the creative aspect but something like his mental health video isn't creative but he's proud of it.
23:40 - His attention to detail holds him back. "High internal threshold" so there's so much he doesn't do because it's not good enough to him. His debate over should he loosen up because people want more or keep things at his threshold.
25:07 - He'd like to try more straight up standup and he'd like to write longer form series/not just a one off video. He really enjoys getting stuck into something for a long amount of time, writing a comedy series or a really long special.
You're being beamed up by aggressive aliens and they're plugging in the anal probe
"Oh, God. Okay. I say: *shrug* [...] I'd be like, 'I don't know how this works. Put a condom on that thing. *shrug*'"
Dan Howell, 5/10/18 Try new things..?