Forever Scrolling: SOCIAL MEDIA ADDICTION with Dan Howell (8 October 2020)

Videos appearing on other channels and featuring Dan and Phil
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual
Pronouns: she/her

"If you're left-handed, ask a friend."
"Why am I left-handed?"
"Everybody makes mistakes."
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie
Pronouns: she/her

Intro
:19 - It’s important to find the balance of social media addiction.

You are spending too much time on social media.
:42 - A clear sign that you spend too much time on the internet is when the voice in your head - like, of the social media conversation - is louder than what’s going on in the real world. I’ve had times where I put my phone down after looking at an argument on twitter and I’m just like, wow, okay. For a whole chunk of time there I was more sucked into the reality happening on my phone than the real world around me. I started to feel physically and my emotions got changed by what I was reading on the internet. Do you know what you do then? Put your own down. Look at a leaf for a moment. One deep breath. Ah. Real world.

What to do if you struggle with social media addiction?
1:32 - If you are addicted to social media, there are things you could do. You can set limits on the time on your phone that you can use certain apps for. You can just tell yourself I’m going to curate my experience and make it so that certain things don’t stress me out. Just take time in your day to do things off the internet that make you feel better. It doesn’t have to be something as big as a religion or meditation. Just buy a potted plant. Just tend to a cactus and it can ground you to reality.

How did you know you were addicted to social media?
3:58 - I think there were definitely days - moreso a few years ago, now I’m just like I’m so bored - where I would just sit looking at things for hours. I just could not be part of the conversation if people were talking about something that was happening, people were arguing about something. I had to read every single comment. I had to keep going to the end. And eventually I just got exhausted, even just from silently reading things that were happening on my laptop and I just had to start telling myself I don’t have to see everything. It’s the fear of missing out on these virtual conversations. And one day I was like - I need some damn respect for myself. I don’t need to be involved in this. And I just went - okay. Close the lid.

5:30 - I feel like a lot of people feel obligated to follow twenty newspapers and a bunch of celebrities that they might not care about. Even some people in their life that they might not want to see what they’re posting, but they feel like they have to. Don’t do that, please. Your social media, the time that you spend on it - radical idea: make it stuff that makes you feel good. If you see something and it doesn’t spark joy, unfollow! Hey. And if it’s your mum and she added you on facebook, you know - mute and she’ll never know about it. Just say you’re busy. She’ll never know. Sorry, mum.