Forever Scrolling: GETTING THROUGH THE NIGHT with Daniel Howell (8 October 2020)

Videos appearing on other channels and featuring Dan and Phil
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual
Pronouns: she/her

"If you're left-handed, ask a friend."
"Why am I left-handed?"
"Everybody makes mistakes."
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie
Pronouns: she/her

Intro
:00 - I often have to remind myself that even if you’re rightfully stressed about a lot of things going on in the world, you’re going to be a lot more helpful if you get some sleep so put your damn head on the pillow. That’s what I tell myself at four am.

What keeps you up at night?
:51 - I’m the kind of person that like, fixates on one bad thing that happened in the day and thinks about it for about sixteen hours. So I’ll be awake at three am going - I went to shake that person’s hand and then I spilt a drink on them. And... is that something that’s worth literally losing my entire sleep over? No, but. That’s the kind of important stuff that my brain thinks of at three am.

What worries about thoughts have affected you in the past?
1:55 - If I’m awake in the middle of the night usually I’m fixated on one thing and I’m just panicking about it in circles for half an hour. So I usually just go - what’s the worst case scenario? And then I go… oh. Doesn’t really matter that much. Guess I’ll go to bed now.

What can you do when you’re struggling to sleep?
3:41 - The uncomfortable truth I never like to accept is that if you do a bit of exercise during the day, you’re probably gonna sleep a lot better. Whereas if you have a pizza at twelve o’clock then those calories are gonna keep you up at night. Those are the hard truths that I have to confront every single day.

4:09 - Honestly, I think for me, the best piece of advice I ever got about sleeping is to be really cold. I never believed a friend of mine who was like, look, if you’re really hot and sweaty you’re just going to roll around thinking it’s acceptable but if you open that window and you’re freezing to death you can just become this burrito of warmth and then you’ll just create your own little cocoon and fall asleep. So… try to make your room below freezing and then you’lll sleep really well.

5:52 - Sometimes you might feel tempted to get out of bed and go make yourself a slice of toast and - hey, that might work for some people. But honestly, just closing your eyes and lying still can give you rest. And even if you don’t don’t manage to successfully get a night of sleep, if you don’t just get up at three am and watch an entire season of The Simpsons I promise you’ll feel better. Close your eyes, think positive thoughts, and you’ll feel better in six hours.

6:16 - Often at night is when your mental health can feel its lowest because the world kind of falls away and you’re left alone with the thoughts you’ve been pushing to the back of your mind, but the one thing I’d say is you always feel better in the morning. If you’re ever laying awake in the darkness thinking everything is really bad - honestly, sometimes if you get a good nights sleep, you’ll have a totally different outlook in the morning. So it’s the toughest time to get through but if you do, I promise you’ll feel better.