Forever Scrolling: FINDING YOUR TRIBE with Daniel Howell (23 October 2020)

Videos appearing on other channels and featuring Dan and Phil
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual
Pronouns: she/her

"If you're left-handed, ask a friend."
"Why am I left-handed?"
"Everybody makes mistakes."
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie
Pronouns: she/her

:00 - You know, a lot of us have that experienced going to school, where you feel like you’re the only gay in the village, as it were - so you need to go out there and find a group of people that make you feel lessa lone. It’s so important.

Intro
:28 - Lots of us in the lgbtq community can feel lonely and isolated, which is why finding your tribe can be liberating.

What do you do when you are lonely?
:54 - I feel like if I’m ever in my life feeling isolated on an island where there aren’t enough people around me that kind of share my perspective I go onto the internet. I watch the shows. I listen to queer pop stars. I watch Drag Race. I just see what my friends are up to on instagram, and I go - there are people out there. They exist. There’s a world out there that’s just like me, and that makes me feel better.

How can you find your lgbtq tribe?
2:09 - There is a lot about the internet that’s terrible, but a good thing is that you can find people that are like you. Similar interests - if you have a favorite tv show, if you have a favorite music artist, go on Twitter, go on Facebook, go on Reddit. Join a community of people that share your interests and it’ll just make you feel so much better. Even if you’re digitally socializing with these people, if you have a connection with somebody - even if it’s a message saying, are you okay? That can be just as important as a real life relationship. So definitely go out there onto the internet and forge relationships with people online. Some of my best friends are internet friends.

How has the lgbtq community helped you?
4:46 - When I was on tour in 2018 it was before I’d come out and I’d taken a break from Youtube because I knew that I couldn’t put myself out there anymore. I couldn’t create any more as a person until I addressed my sexuality. So it was a tough summer for me because I was putting myself so much socially, but I felt like I had this big secret. And one of the lifelines for me was Drag Race because obviously no one would shut up about it. I’d never watched a single episode. So on a tour bus I watched every single episode of Drag Race and Untucked from 1 to 10. And even though as silly as it sounds, seeing a bunch of drag queens crying while putting on makeup - it was like a lifeline to me. It made me feel less alone, it made me feel seen, and just seeing these people that were thriving so loud and proud out there - it made me feel better.

6:31 - There’s nothing wrong with asking anyone you know the simple question - are you okay? At any point. Because you never know when they might need it. If you have a friend that seems like they’re more distant than usual, if they’re drawing away, if they don’t want to hang out as much, or if they’re just being quieter on social media… there might not be anything wrong. They might just be busy getting on with their life. But just say - hi, how are you doing? Lets just talk. It’s the awkward question that so many people feel like they don’t wanna ask it. They’re afraid to be asked it. But the moment one person does it, maybe it was the branch they were looking for the whole time. So be that person for your friend and then hopefully they’ll be there for you, too.