The Great Youtube Take Off: Dan & Phil Talk with Sue Perkins (24 Aug 2017)

Videos appearing on other channels and featuring Dan and Phil
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie
Pronouns: she/her

alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

vincentian wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:21 pm1:33
-D: I mean it’s as dodgy as it sounds tbh, isn’t it?
-P: Yeah.
-D: Social media strangers?
-P: Social media… [moves on]

6:17
-D: “Sit on the Internet, talking to strangers. Are you being groomed, Phil”?
-P: I wasn’t being groomed.
-D: That’s how it worked probably.
-P: That was.. yeah a little bit of that. (!!)

7:54
-D: “Let’s just try being creative weirdos on the Internet the whole time!” It was scary but then I think we err... it all worked out.
:)

8:03
-P: I think by making more videos together we developed more of a viewership of people wanting to watch Dan and Phil videos. [That’s… a very carefully put understatement of a century Philly. And the word “ship” still made it there lol.]

8:46
-D: “For us it was years and years of nobody watching..” (that’s bs Dan)

9:52
-P: I try not to think about what the audience want but what I would enjoy making. (Oookay. If you say so. You sure?)

10:45
-D: Phil kinda… fell into comedy. (That’s an interesting observation.)

10:50
-D: ..relatable topics.. (Phil takes a sip.)

Beside the point, but the glass looks like a shot glass in Dan’s giant hand and it made me lol when he was talking and waving it around. Also funny that when Dan was answering questions for himself he was often interviewing Phil within those answers.

12:01
-P: You can get a lot of ads on that one. [a 14-hour long monologue]
-D: [makes a «stop it» gesture]

12:36
-D: That’s going to be in 5 years. The inevitable break-down. [The Dark Phil who had had enough of the internet]. :o

-P: He’s already the Dark Dan.

14:00
Phil essentially walked right into the making money topic. Good one lol.

16:46
Dan boasting how self-sufficient a youtube creator (i.e. him) is. Then waffles for minutes.

20:00
Throwing in Radio One mention as a show-off. Lol, regarding where Deps and Radio One are at now and how they parted.

20:50
-D: We had six and a half minutes with 1D in the toilet. (No context needed.)

Dan is blushing, sweating, waffling for a long while expressing some rash unfinished thoughts.. I saw that before.. in hundreds liveshows. Sue: hmm.

26:30
They’ve had conversations with BBC 3, BBC Comedy over the years, and it didn’t work out for various reasons. (Did Dan mean casually chatting to Bryony or actually some projects?)

28:30
That was pretty eloquent way to express why the global access to content is where the entertainment industry has progressed to. I’ll give this to Dan.

29:20
D&P complimenting on the Bake-Off with Sue. That was cuuute. <3

30:00 - ish
Dan showing off, throwing in mentions of working with stage show producers and book editors.

32:12
-S: This generation is very open about anxiety.
-D: [Literally takes a sip. Lets Phil talk.]

33:20
Phil is so cold-blooded about negative comments. (Definitely a vampire.) Dan thinks he is weird.

34:07
Sue loves Dan’s “We were born in the fires of the Internet”.

34:47
-D: People aren’t afraid of sharing their vulnerabilities. (Speaking very generally here, Dan.)

39:06
Phil doesn’t look impressed with the "how old you are" question. Lol his face.
Phil thought everyone will stop watching on his birthday.
Dan speaking for the audience: “We still love you”. Aw.

41:43
D&P obviously aren't commissioners of TV channels, but they managed to waffle about it with the positive message at the end.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

00:00 - I wanna marry Sue Perkins.
1:17 - Sue pointing out the "youth vigor" that Dan and Phil bought/age diversity.
1:31 - How they met: "It's as dodgy as it sounds."
1:50 - Phil pointing out it's been eight/nine years - he's counting how long they've been together, not how long he's been doing youtube?
2:54 - Origin story.
3:40 - Phil talks about working in WH Smith until someone threw a chocolate orange at him. (Dan quietly calling Phil a nerd.)
4:14 - Dan discussing the differences in when Phil started youtube and when he started youtube.
6:12 - Phil mentions telling his parents that he wanted to give youtube a go and his parents said okay. (Dan supplying the info that Phil had just finished uni.)
6:48 - Dan talking about studying law (Phil: It wasn't your dream.) and taking a year out. Mixes up gap year/high school stories with post-youtube?
7:34 - Dan saying they met after he'd been doing youtube a year.
7:55 - It was scary to try being youtubers, Phil adds that they got more of a viewership because people wanted to watch more of them together and the fandom developed.
8:38 - Dan saying that they didn't have a viral hit, it was years of audience growth and then social media exploded.
9:15 - Numbers, revenue, "Suddenly you can pay rent."
9:28 - Sue asks them about their creative inspiration. Phil tells stories inspired by his own life and things he'd want to watch.
10:13 - Dan says there are no rules and that's liberating but also terrifying. Phil 'fell into comedy' and Dan started making short form comedy videos. Dan thinks about something embarrassing for him that makes other people laugh.
11:39 - Sue brings up tailoring material to an audience, Phil agrees.
12:02 - Phil previously talked about doing a 14 hour monologue, jokes "You could get a lot of ads on that one."
12:30 - Sue wants to deploy dark Phil; Dan says in five years, the inevitable breakdown.
12:58 - Dan is already dark Dan.
14:07 - Talking about the revenue generation; playing to an audience that's investing in your future.
14:28 - Phil: "Yes." (Goes on to say that the revenue inspires you to make more video.)
14:49 - Dan says they're lucky to have a big audience and therefore not have to compromise on content that much. If they had a smaller audience they wouldn't be able to pay rent (at the length and frequency with which they post videos).
15:48 - Phil brings up that the gaming channel; Sue says, "I want your life." and Dan makes a very choked noise.
16:17 - Dan runs through what all a youtuber needs to do; camera and sound and lighting set up, scripting, filming, editing, processing, marketing, PR responsible public face of the channel.
17:34 - Element of snobbishness from television toward youtubers; Dan says there's just a misunderstanding about what they mean in general.
18:48 - Zoella mention, referencing how press treats her.
19:18 - Sue asks if the barrier between tv and internet should be more porous; Phil says he thinks it is now, wasn't four years ago.
19:30 - BBC radio mentions start; Phil says they went through the piloting system but BBC also trusted them to make a good show.
20:22 - Dan mentions Teen Awards and interviewing One Direction.
21:00 - Sue is gonna write an online novella about Dan and Phil spending six minutes in a toilet with One Direction.
21:20 - Sue asks if tv could learn from the instant connection between youtubers and audiences; Dan says yes because it's global and that's a big difference.
23:16 - Phil thinks geoblocking will fade out within the next half decade.
23:48 - Dan says because people will rip it and put it online if they want to see it anyway.
24:22 - Sue asks if they wanted to be performers as kids; Phil wanted to be a weatherman.
26:28 - Dan said they've had conversations with BB3 and BBC comedy but it didn't seem right; now there's Netflix, YoutubeRed, Amazing.
26:52 - Phil uses Riverdale as an example of what actually works and appeals to young people.
28:21 - Dan reiterates that people need to consider how young people watch things now, and adapt it.
29:05 - Phil says the last proper thing he watched and followed along with was Bake Off (which is dead to him now).
30:00 - Dan talks about the next generation of talent coming from the internet, but needing help from a team to teach and nurture them. YTRed has a team that does that.
32:07 - Sue brings up the youtube generation being open about anxiety.
32:38 - Phil makes a point to say that he thinks if one person is helped by someone talking about anxiety, then it's worth it. "It's brilliant and worth it, completely." Goes on to say that he doesn't get effected by comments, Dan calls him weird.
33:17 - "I try not to get effected by people my content's obviously not been for." He won't change his content as long as there are more thumbs up than thumbs down.
34:01 - "We were born in the fires of the internet." (Sue loves that line.)
34:40 - Dan talks about young people being progressive and unafraid to share vulnerabilities, and that's why people have engaged audiences.
35:04 - Sue points out that it's impressive that Dan knows his own brand.
38:16 - Gordon Ramsay tweet.
39:06 - Phil talks about being 30 and being relieved that people are still watching.
39:30 - Dan can't remember his age.
39:51 - Sue asks them how they stay relevant.
41:20 - They are guinea pigs shaking in the corner of the cage.
41:41 - What would they implement? "The strategy of accessibility and adapting to the times." Fuck, Dan, you've never been hotter. Talk industry to me, baby. Tell me more about how what demographics the television genre isn't addressing adequately enough.
42:51 - And then Dan says AI is gonna kill us all in ten years. Phil: "That's the Dan I know."
43:09 - If Phil were the boss, he'd be the weatherman. Dan: "Endgame." Phil also wants to see more things for young people on television, so they won't complain that young people don't watch television. Dan starts to applaud him, then realizes no one else is applauding Phil. (I hope that was just muscle memory. I hope Dan just walks around the house applauding Phil.)
44:26 - Sue summarizes their POV: don't patronize young audiences, they're socially aware.
45:38 - Still wanna marry Sue Perkins.