Testing Cursed Snapchat Filters! (24 May 2019)

Videos posted on the AmazingPhil channel
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual
Pronouns: she/her

"If you're left-handed, ask a friend."
"Why am I left-handed?"
"Everybody makes mistakes."
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual
Pronouns: she/her

bevioletsky wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 10:22 pm First of all: bad title, Phil, in my opinion. I didn’t see the tweet before seeing the video pop up on my YT frontpage, so I didn’t realise it was the Q&A at first, but I really don’t care about snapchat filters. At all. Did not make me excited to watch the video, don’t know if it would make many others to do so, either.

0:00 Apparently Phil accidentally left the camera rolling for eight minutes before he actually started filming. This is probably the hundredth time he wonders whether or not there’s a ghost in the room/flat/building he’s in, or maybe I just feel like that’s a thing he says in videos often.

0:15 Phil uses the glottal stop /ʔ/ instead of pronouncing the t in the word ‘Twitter’ and points it out. Has anyone ever made a phonological analysis of these guys? There must be lots of people that have studied linguistics in this fandom. I’d read that shit.

0:21 “We’re just gonna stick our finger right into that jar and pull one out”. I don’t know where these questionable metaphors of his come from.

0:31 Phil gives us the tea. He recommends flavoured green tea if you don’t like the regular stuff. I would say that it’s super easy to make green tea too bitter by using too-hot water and letting it brew for too long, so make sure to not pour boiling water on green tea leaves but let it cool down for a bit (about 90 degrees is ideal, but who actually measures). I love tea.

1:04 Here come the snapchat filters. The female filter does compliment Phil better than the male one, I would agree. I love that he uses the word ‘sexy’ when he describes how good some people look with the male one. Apparently two male friends and one lesbian friend of his told him they now fancy him after he posted that Philippa picture on Twitter; based on the comments I saw under that photo I would say many others felt that confusion as well. Lmao @ the shade towards the GoT petition though! I have complicated feelings towards the show and the ending but was slightly amused about the scale of the backlash so I felt that. The Annabelle mention with the kid filter felt very timely with the surfacing of those awful dolls. The farmer-dude filter made me feel uncomfortable and no, I do not want to go mow any corn. Is that even a thing? I feel like it isn’t. Overall, was more entertained by the filters than I expected.

2:06 The last thing Phil googled was ‘Lizard mating’. Mating animals and the second mention of the word ‘mate’ in the video already, typical Phil. Presumably this was to do with the lizards from that “important meeting” instastory.

2:27 A review of Harry Styles’ MET gala outfit. According to Phil, more guys should wear frilly, meshy sleeves. Sure, I agree, though I think Harry’s outfit was a bit boring for the theme.

2:33 Pokémon counts as a thing that gives Phil nostalgia and an opportunity to do #spon. Didn’t mind it, though was disappointed at the lack of Detective Pikachu review even if Detective Pikachu was mentioned. A Dan mention: he got a coin that he’ll use the next time he and Dan can’t agree on something. He pulls out cards that represent him and then us: he’s Rattata, we’re Drowsee. So, he’s a rat, as has been long-established, and we’re… drowsy? tired…of their bullshit, certainly, if the recent mood is anything to go by.

4:23 The worst advice anyone ever gave to Phil was that he shouldn’t move to London because most entertainment careers fail. That does seem like a pretty harsh way of phrasing that, I guess I’m glad you didn’t follow it either, Phil. This felt a bit meta: “If someone you don’t really know has a very strong opinion on your life you probably shouldn’t take it too much to heart” (4:42).

4:53 Phil’s (they’ve) been watching Parks and Recreation.

5:06 Phil would like to have an Irish accent if he wasn’t British.

5:23 Phil once pretended to be sick to avoid hanging out with some kids of his age. He now thinks this was a bad decision, as he would have had a nice day having ice cream and he met said kids later on and they were perfectly nice. I feel for past Phil, as an introverted and shy child it was indeed awkward to be in such a situation.

6:13 Phil likes his toast just a touch too dark for my taste, but still acceptable. His grandfather on the other hand was a fan of carcinogenic toast. This toast picture is kind of terrible though, many of them are exactly the same.

6:39 Tears were shed at Endgame and it saved Phil’s bladder. I would say he talks about peeing too often, but I also find it surprisingly relatable, so I don’t know what to say.

6:55 Phil is worried about someone accidentally eating a puppy burrito.

7:05 Relationship advice. I like that he feels qualified to give some, despite never publicly having stated being in a relationship to begin with – a demonstration of the glass closet people sometimes like to talk about, I suppose. Anyway, it’s good advice though I feel like we’ve heard it from him or them before: be yourself, the other person should like you for you and not who you pretend to be.

7:17 A fact that amazes Phil every time he hears it: how caterpillars turn into butterflies. He even gives us a warning about a caterpillar meltdown, very existential. I did not know that they turn into mush. Dramatic editing.

8:03 Phil shows us the last photo he took. It’s two birds sitting on someone’s shoes (I’m going to presume it’s his dad or something). No context given.

8:09 Phil offers some reassuring words and advice if you don’t know what to do with your life. He tells you to not stress about it and talk about it with someone who knows you very well (as opposed to being disheartened by strangers’ advice earlier). It’s also sweet how he says it might take some time to get there. “That felt quite inspirational, didn’t it”, he says (8:32). It feels like good advice but I wouldn’t know, should maybe try it sometime.

8:36 It’s the MBTI personality quiz! This I’ve definitely seen people talk about in relation to dnp before. He’s an INFP-T. I have no idea what it means and am sceptical about this in general, but the short bit he read seemed to fit…okay?

9:20 According to Bryony, Phil’s would best get along with J-Hope of all the BTS members.

9:28 Long egg. Don’t like it.

Overall, especially after my negative reaction to the title, I enjoyed it. It made me smile, and, well; I just like Phil. Kind of like the previous video, the risky click one, it was better than I expected because I was not a fan of the premise of that one. He answered a lot more questions from Twitter than the membership page: I counted nine from Twitter and three from members, twelve in total, although I cba to go back and confirm if that’s correct.
"If you're left-handed, ask a friend."
"Why am I left-handed?"
"Everybody makes mistakes."
itasca00
moon room
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Well, Phil certainly didn’t reveal anything deep and personal in this video, but I didn’t expect him to either. I enjoyed it! It gave me a much needed break on a rather stressful day. Here are my highlights:
  • [1:01] Phil is asked to use the male and female Snapchat filters. He uses the male one first, and he thinks he looks "rough." He uses the female one at [1:11], and he says:
    P: It’s not bad, though. I posted a picture of this on Twitter, and two of my male friends and one lesbian friend sent me a message saying they now, uh, fancy me.
  • [1:32] Phil uses the child filter on Snapchat. He says it was a mistake. He is correct.
  • [3:06] While Phil is reviewing a Detective Pikachu set that Pokémon sent him, he says he’ll use a Detective Pikachu coin included in the set the next time he and Dan can’t agree on something. :sunshine:
  • [3:57] Phil tells a story about how he used to play a version of Snap that used Pokémon cards with his friends.
  • [5:22] Phil is asked what the most insanely introverted thing he’s ever done was. He says that when he was 13 or 14, his parents had some friends come over, and they brought their kids with them. Not wanting to meet new people, Phil pretended to be sick the whole day. He regrets doing this because he met those kids years later, and they were really nice.
  • [6:12] Phil is shown an image with 90 pieces of bread toasted to varying degrees and asked to identify which is his favorite. Phil says his grandfather used to eat really burnt toast, and Phil questions whether he might have secretly been a psychopath.
  • [6:38] Phil is asked whether he cried at Endgame, and he confirms that he did.
  • [8:35] Phil is asked to take a Myers-Briggs test. He gets the result INFP-T.
  • As usual, Phil has listed links to the three versions of the AmazingPhil Shop at the top of his video description, and he has listed a link to the Dan and Phil shop with his individual merch links.
You're being beamed up by aggressive aliens and they're plugging in the anal probe
"Oh, God. Okay. I say: *shrug* [...] I'd be like, 'I don't know how this works. Put a condom on that thing. *shrug*'"
Dan Howell, 5/10/18 Try new things..?