Vancouver - Queen Elizabeth - 12th August

missemma
#teamshavedsides
#teamshavedsides
Pronouns: she/her

Are you going to this date? Want to meet up with others? Here's the place to arrange it.

We want to hear all your reviews and opinions from this date. Seen a photo from the m&g you want to discuss, go ahead, we love a good discussion.

A few things:
- This forum is public, which means anyone can see information you post.
- If you are meeting up with others, please make sure you do this in a safe way. Make sure you know who you are meeting with beforehand, and do this in an open, safe place. Perhaps even Skype before to ensure your safety.
- If you are posting spoilers, please do so behind the spoiler tag.

Enjoy :)
:prideheart: :gayaf: :prideheart:
mermaid blood
Moderator Emeritus

i know a few people mentioned in the main thread buying tickets to this show; i have a question:

does the link to ticket vendor work for any of you? it's been broken on my end since before tickets were released, i assumed it was a mislink by dan and phil; but when i search 'ticket force' or 'tickets tonight', i can't get through to their main site either? is it some sort of geoblock, or, how did you guys buy tickets?

eg. http://ticketstonight.ticketforce.com/
http://ticketstonight.ticketforce.com/DanandPhil
art in avatar by lily
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

mermaid blood wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:46 am i know a few people mentioned in the main thread buying tickets to this show; i have a question:

does the link to ticket vendor work for any of you? it's been broken on my end since before tickets were released, i assumed it was a mislink by dan and phil; but when i search 'ticket force' or 'tickets tonight', i can't get through to their main site either? is it some sort of geoblock, or, how did you guys buy tickets?

eg. http://ticketstonight.ticketforce.com/
http://ticketstonight.ticketforce.com/DanandPhil
i have a longer link here that you can try: https://ticketstonight.ticketforce.com/ ... mseatmap=1

it should take you directly to where you can choose your seating, and as i was refreshing the page a lot the day they went onsale, this is the link i am 100% sure i used to purchase my tickets. i don't see how there can be a geoblock since i am aware of a few americans who have purchased tickets to the show while still being in america (i have no idea where you are located so maybe it could be an outside north america thing, but hopefully this works for you!!)

edit: i just realised it was you i had a conversation with about moving to vancouver from melbourne, so nevermind that america stuff, but i really do hope this works!
mermaid blood
Moderator Emeritus

oh hi! yes! twas me. that's so weird, because that link you gave won't work either, but when i tried on my phone through data and not on wifi i could get through! is my provider blocking the site because it's picking up on it being dodging in some way?

thank you for the link, it's interesting seeing how the seats are filling up, more so on the left side.
art in avatar by lily
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

mermaid blood wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2017 8:46 am oh hi! yes! twas me. that's so weird, because that link you gave won't work either, but when i tried on my phone through data and not on wifi i could get through! is my provider blocking the site because it's picking up on it being dodging in some way?

thank you for the link, it's interesting seeing how the seats are filling up, more so on the left side.
no worries! that's really strange that the ticket website is blocked, i wonder why... i'm actually sitting on the left as it happens haha. also i'm pretty sure the tickets won't sell out soon so hopefully you'll have the chance to get some if you want to :)
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

I'm definitely getting ahead of myself, but is anyone else here going to this show? The bar in the theatre is pretty accessible you know, just saying...
lesterchuu
philussy
Pronouns: he/she/they

obsessivelymoody wrote: Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:02 am I'm definitely getting ahead of myself, but is anyone else here going to this show? The bar in the theatre is pretty accessible you know, just saying...
i am but ill be going in alone and will probably be very shy
"you are next to me in my life"
lesterchuu
philussy
Pronouns: he/she/they

i have an early shift at work tomorrow but i literally want to write down my thoughts before they disappear as i go to bed...

first of all, i had a blast! i went alone and since i didnt have the vip, i took it for granted and came a mere 30 minutes before the show starts. oh boy was i wrong. i came to the venue and it was already packed, the line was already long so i walked as fast as i could but then i realized too late that the line had gone around THE ENTIRE BLOCK. i can literally see the entrance with ease as i stood at the end of the line.

when i came inside, it was even a bigger mess. my initial goal was to buy merch and contact @obsessivelymoody to say hi, so i tried to find the merch line while checking my phone as well. as expected, people everywhere doing people things = it was crowded as fuck. the staff were very helpful at directing people where to go, but by this time i was already feeling overwhelmed and this tiny little headlight in my brain started quietly doing a siren. in the end, i just gave up and just went to my seat instead.

the song playlist was pretty cool, although i felt a bit of an old person cz at one point everyone started singing along to this one song and i didnt know who the heck it was. but of course i joined in during the mcr one. then the show starts, and by now i kind of know the format since i was soaking up all the spoilers prior to my show. nevertheless, i was still pleasantly entertained. it was really different seeing the two of them in person. i noticed how much dan slightly raises his shoulders and slouches a bit - not sure if its because hes feeling too aware of his white nipple shirt, or if he just wants to feel small? and phils voice was so much more..........deeper.

intermission felt VERY QUICK. as i went outside to try and get merch, there were already three~four lines forming and i did not know which line was which. i tried asking around but no one knew what line theyre on so i just winged it. eventually i realized i was on the cash only merch line, but i only bought my card w me so i quickly tried to find another line, this time landing on the right one. during this kerfuffle, i finally managed to meet @obsessivelymoody right as the announcement said 3 minutes before the show resumes, so it was a very short hi. as expected, i went full deer in front of headlights mode haha oops...im more of a decent human when im comfortable i promise. i tried staying in the line for as long as i can, but decided to go back when one of the staff told me the doors will be closing soon and they wont open it until the end of the show. in the end, it was all good cz i bolted as soon as the show ended and got the demin jacket that i wanted. #bless

anyways, i couldnt do a full on recap of the segments because i noticed theyve repeated some (like the wet sock one, similar down to the way dan answered it) but the ones that stood out to me were:
  • seeing dan naruto run in person was a highlight
  • they called the lights "phallic", yet again
  • they said canada is better than america, sure, just butter us up danny
  • i think dan had dabbed just as much as phil did his "manly" squat in the entire show and if im wrong then so be it
  • dan reading out phil is good at "being a sweetie" then proceeds to do his fake barfing sounds, just admit it youre fond as heck
  • "dans true feelings for phil"
  • at some point one of them was offended at the other calling something or someone else a dad/daddy
  • phil very explicitly told dan, nay, he DEMANDED, dan to not hit his penis
  • when phil was taking off his jumpsuit, he faced his butt towards the audience and everyone went wild. dan, who was supposed to be explaining the next part, just stopped and asked everyone to stop everything and watch phil struggle as he tried to undress then wheel away the prop chest....and of course phil had to be a phil and he didnt know where to wheel it out so it took him a couple minutes to finally put it away. now, this makes me wonder, how much of this was rehearsed and how much was truly a clumsy moment? youd think they wouldve gone through the stage set up for a bit but hmm...
  • at one point, phil talked about not wanting to keep "effing" on his channel all the time and dan just gave him a quick look like honey pls stop
  • dan kicked the set................again
  • at the end of the show, one of the big tall phallic lights was broken...man, even the lights need a long rest i think
its getting closer to midnight as i write this part and i need to be awake at 5am for work so my memory is now getting hazy. it was really fun even though my ear drums have now bursted. youd think id be used to loud shrill noises because i work at a daycare, but i was not prepared for the loudness that is teenager fans screaming. good thing my kids at work know basic sign language cz my hearing wont be as good this week.

all in all, 10/10 would go again ok time to pass out peace
"you are next to me in my life"
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

Alright, under the cut is my ii review. It's very long and divided into sections because I'm like that.
The audience
I'm starting off with the easy bit. So something I didn't entirely expect (but kind of did at the same time? Usually I'm pleasantly surprised by these kinds of events) was how old I felt. I'm 19. I'm practically a baby. I shouldn't ever feel old unless I'm surrounded by kindergarteners. But besides people's parents and a few people who I could tell were my age or older, everyone was so young. I mean, duh, I'm pretty sure the average age in the phandom is like 16 or something, but it was wild to me, though maybe that's because I've curated the shit out of my fandom experience. And this wasn't a bad thing at all! The only bad thing about feeling 'old' was that people letting out ear splitting screams at literally nothing was giving me a headache and made me roll my eyes at multiple points (ahem, I think screaming when you see the empty stage that we've seen a million times before is a bit much, but maybe that's me being grumpy). Otherwise, it was really, really nice to see such a diverse and lovely group of people come together and just have fun. I wasn't dancing at any of the songs or whatever (but you bet your ass I sang my heart out when WTTBP was playing), however it was really cute to see people in such good moods. It's one of my favourite parts of fandom events. I was glad that this one wasn't like some events I've been to where people are dicks to everyone is they aren't friends with. Everyone just seemed so nice and happy, and I really felt a sense of community there too, which was lovely. Also, even though I've said this several times, it really was so lovely to meet @ame and @astudyinfondness. They were so lovely and it was great to meet people off the internet.

Okay, now that we've got the fluff out of the way, let's get to the meat of this review: the show.

Dan
To put it plainly: Dan was acting. I'll get into why Phil was but also "wasn't" acting, but it was very clear that Dan was playing ~Daniel Howell. He had a few character breaks, like when he smacked his leg into the stage twice and almost said fuck both times. He also fiddled with his mic a lot, and I don't know if that's giving his hands something to do while Phil's talking, or if it was actually bothering him, but it was something I noticed.

Speaking of mannerisms, I was surprised to see how, for lack of a better term, 'campy' Dan's body language can be. He also walked very awkwardly across the stage a few times, which made me laugh.

Anyway, Dan was really interesting for me to watch because he was so in character the whole time. His 'Dan' voice is something that kind of bothers me after a while (which is why I like his liveshows the best out of his solo content), and while I didn't get bothered by it during the show, I was extremely hyper aware of its presence, which was the main thing that made me go "Oh Dan's really acting right now". Maybe that should be super obvious since I've listened to audio clips of the show before and know that it's 90% scripted, but I suppose I wasn't expecting it to be so obvious to me when I was watching it. Also, it was incredibly jarring (but also pleasant, in a way) to hear Dan's cackle irl. Along with that, Dan's facial expressions were always 'turned on'. Besides when he fixed his mic, whenever Phil was talking he looked full of energy and rearing to go. Dan's dedication to his character kind of took me out of the loose narrative of the show because of how obvious I found it to be, but I know that's just me over analyzing things since I generally find Dan's mannerisms so interesting to watch. He did a really great job though.

Phil
I found Phil so much more interesting to watch through the whole show. Phil was definitely acting, but it was different from the way Dan was acting. Dan had the pacing and energy of someone who has to stay in a relatively emotionally stagnant character, while Phil came across very similarly to how he does in his videos. It was definitely played up a bit more because he's still acting in a stage show (side note: they must have decided to get some training before this one because they were a lot less stiff than in tatinof. I've only seen the youtube red version of it, but even then their acting was Not Great in it compared to this time around), but he felt more true to the Phil we see on the gaming channel and in liveshows than Dan did.

I think a lot of Phil's behaviour in this particular show was influenced by how exhausted he seemed to be that day. He looked tired in his instagram story, and on stage he definitely had a more neutral face than Dan did when Dan was talking. There were a few moments where I could see Phil falter and watch his expression shift to his 'Done' face, but it was only for a split second every time (yeah, I barely looked at them when they were talking. I was mostly trying to see what they looked like when the other was talking because for some reason I feel like that's more telling. Maybe I'm weird idk).

I'm not sure if he always sits for the simulation bit, but the fact that Dan didn't made me think that they usually stand so I think the tour was really starting to take a toll on him near the end there. He also popped a few squats and swayed his hips a lot which was amusing to me. Oh, and a bit that I found hilarious was after he got off the wheel and was undressing, he bent over so his ass was facing the audience while Dan was talking and everyone cheered which cut Dan off. Phil was struggling to get the suit over his shoes too so he kind of waddled into one of the wings but the spotlight kept following him. Eventually he just sat down on the stage and pulled it off, but I thought it was a funny moment (even if it's something that happens at every show where Phil's on the wheel).

Something else about Phil that really shone through here, similar to how it is in videos but not to the same extent, is how naturally funny he is. Again, it wasn't to the same extent that it is in videos since he's acting, but some of their little ad libbed moments were so much better because of Phil's quick humour.

Dan & Phil
Something I noticed right away was that their dynamic was far from the flirty and silly one we get on dapg, or even in joint videos/liveshows. I expected this since the show is mostly scripted, so that's fine, but it was still very obvious to me the entire time. They didn't bounce off of each other in the same way they do in videos of course, but god they work so well together. The show didn't change my perception of them in the slightest, but it did make me see how much of a unit they really are. This was something I was very aware of before obviously, but seeing it irl made it a little more concrete, which was interesting. They really are the perfect package deal together and for each other. Their dynamic made me crave more from them though. The inner workings of their relationship are so interesting to me, and while it's far more likely than not that we'll ever get even the smallest glimpse into that part of their lives, it has me intrigued. But more on that later.

Moving onto the extremely superficial portion of this section, I was surprised to see how...similar they look to how they appear in videos. I was close enough to be able to see their sweat and whatnot, and I found it odd how they actually do look like they do online. I realise how ridiculous that sounds, but it was something that was running through my mind. The way they move their bodies was really quite awkward at times, but honestly I relate and I had a feeling they would be a little awkward in some bits. There was a moment when Dan looked right at the spot where I was sitting for a long time (obviously not directly at me, but in a spot either right in front or behind me--maybe he zoned out) while he was talking about something. I think it was during the real conversation section because he was sitting down, but I really didn't hear anything either of them were saying because my mind was like "wow his eyes are a really nice shade of brown" haha. In short, they're both pretty. Oh, and I could definitely see Dan's nipples the entire time.

The show & what I took away from it
To sum up my feelings in a few words: I really enjoyed myself! I had a lot of fun, but all it really did was make me crave a real conversation with them. This show was not nearly as enjoyable to me as a video or a liveshow, and I didn't expect it to be. I knew that it was going to be formulaic and that there would be a few moments that I would genuinely adore, but otherwise it was just going to be a fun time where I spend way too much money and get to see them 25 feet away. That's not a bad thing, either. I'm okay with that. I went in knowing that nothing revolutionary is going to happen because this show really isn't about me as a fan, or my fabricated one-way friendly connection to them, or what I want from them. I'm simply there to enjoy myself and explicitly support them monetarily, which is expected and fine. And I also never anticipated this show to be mind blowingly spectacular or anything, concept and script-wise. I don't expect that from Dan and Phil ever, and that's really not why I watch them. I'm definitely here because their chemistry is like nothing else and I find their relationship so fascinating. I think overall as someone who wasn't anticipating much and who had spoiled themselves as much as possible, seeing it actually exceeded my expectations. And it's a big plus in my book that it actually was a lot better than tatinof (but that's a whole other post tbh). The only thing that really annoyed me was the way fic is treated, but this happens in every show so I was expecting it, though it didn't stop me from being unimpressed. Oh, and I didn't appreciate being constantly shamed for voting for the craft videos. We all know that's where their content peaked.

I'm a little frustrated by how much it made me actually want to get to know them though, like I said earlier about being intrigued by the inner bits of their dynamic. I've said this for years, but I'd really love to have a long chat with them over coffee or drinks. I think it would be interesting. But that's a pipe dream and a half so this will definitely suffice.

I adore how queer the show was too. The fact that they're comfortable enough now to travel around the world with so many queer references in the scripted parts of their show makes me really happy for them.

Overall, I left the show in a good mood and feeling really fond of them. It was a nice time.
bestfriendsclub
dank meme

I'm trying to find anyone who bought their ticket from Twickets to ask if they were allowed in, because I'm going to a show in Australia and I'm worried because of Phil's tweet about needing the ID of the person you bought it from, and someone said they were allowed in if they had a photo of the person's ID but, I have no idea how to do that? Does anyone know of anywhere I could find someone to ask? I searched "Twickets" here and it's just me and people selling their tickets I'm sooo nervous please help