Rosemont (Chicago) - Rosemont Theatre - 25th July

missemma
#teamshavedsides
#teamshavedsides
Pronouns: she/her

Are you going to this date? Want to meet up with others? Here's the place to arrange it.

We want to hear all your reviews and opinions from this date. Seen a photo from the m&g you want to discuss, go ahead, we love a good discussion.

A few things:
- This forum is public, which means anyone can see information you post.
- If you are meeting up with others, please make sure you do this in a safe way. Make sure you know who you are meeting with beforehand, and do this in an open, safe place. Perhaps even Skype before to ensure your safety.
- If you are posting spoilers, please do so behind the spoiler tag.

Enjoy :)
Last edited by lefthandedism on Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added "Chicago" to thread name
:prideheart: :gayaf: :prideheart:
Susanisnotafish
blobfish
Pronouns: She/her

I hope to go to this one or St Louis. Why not both?
"Rub those freckles all over me!" --Daniel Howell
mamaphan
delia smith

At first I thought this venue was the big one that sat like 18,000 people and I was like I don’t want to go and have to watch them on a screen but the Rosemont seats like 4,500 which is still big but much better so I am thinking of maybe going. I wish it wasn’t on a weekday though. If I go I will probably go myself, I took my daughter to tatinof and she was not into it at all. I know I am way older then most people just turned 41 but I don’t care if I look stupid or whatever cause this is about seeing two guys that have been part of my life for a really long time and they make me happy so. If I do go I will for sure come back and let you know how it was. For The record I think this will be a really fun great event.
obliviongrace
*editing tips*

I am trying to sell a ticket for this show. It’s a fairly good seat, Section 111, Row E, Seat 11. I’m interesting in selling it for the price I purchased for. But also I’d hate to see the ticket go to waste, so if you are interested please contact me no matter what and we can work something out!!
Susanisnotafish
blobfish

It doesn’t seem like section 111 has a row E? I don’t know maybe I’m reading the seating chart wrong.
Susanisnotafish
blobfish

mamaphan wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:42 pm At first I thought this venue was the big one that sat like 18,000 people and I was like I don’t want to go and have to watch them on a screen but the Rosemont seats like 4,500 which is still big but much better so I am thinking of maybe going. I wish it wasn’t on a weekday though. If I go I will probably go myself, I took my daughter to tatinof and she was not into it at all. I know I am way older then most people just turned 41 but I don’t care if I look stupid or whatever cause this is about seeing two guys that have been part of my life for a really long time and they make me happy so. If I do go I will for sure come back and let you know how it was. For The record I think this will be a really fun great event.
I’m considering going to this date and I’m 51. My daughter is going with me to St. Louis, but feels weird about going twice. I would love to meet up and bond over being older fans if we both end up going. I want to find out what others experience of going to more than one show has been. I can’t imagine it wouldn’t be good.
Susanisnotafish
blobfish

obliviongrace wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 2:09 pm I am trying to sell a ticket for this show. It’s a fairly good seat, Section 111, Row E, Seat 11. I’m interesting in selling it for the price I purchased for. But also I’d hate to see the ticket go to waste, so if you are interested please contact me no matter what and we can work something out!!
It doesn’t look like there is a row E in section 111? Maybe I’m reading the seating chart wrong or have the wrong one? How much is the ticket?
mamaphan
delia smith

Susanisnotafish wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 5:49 am
mamaphan wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2017 5:42 pm At first I thought this venue was the big one that sat like 18,000 people and I was like I don’t want to go and have to watch them on a screen but the Rosemont seats like 4,500 which is still big but much better so I am thinking of maybe going. I wish it wasn’t on a weekday though. If I go I will probably go myself, I took my daughter to tatinof and she was not into it at all. I know I am way older then most people just turned 41 but I don’t care if I look stupid or whatever cause this is about seeing two guys that have been part of my life for a really long time and they make me happy so. If I do go I will for sure come back and let you know how it was. For The record I think this will be a really fun great event.
I’m considering going to this date and I’m 51. My daughter is going with me to St. Louis, but feels weird about going twice. I would love to meet up and bond over being older fans if we both end up going. I want to find out what others experience of going to more than one show has been. I can’t imagine it wouldn’t be good.
Oh for sure. I did get tickets so I will for sure be there. I’m Mama_Phan on Twitter if you wanted to get ahold of me.
obliviongrace
*editing tips*

Susanisnotafish wrote: Sun May 13, 2018 5:51 am
obliviongrace wrote: Wed May 09, 2018 2:09 pm I am trying to sell a ticket for this show. It’s a fairly good seat, Section 111, Row E, Seat 11. I’m interesting in selling it for the price I purchased for. But also I’d hate to see the ticket go to waste, so if you are interested please contact me no matter what and we can work something out!!
It doesn’t look like there is a row E in section 111? Maybe I’m reading the seating chart wrong or have the wrong one? How much is the ticket?
Hi, sorry for the late reply! You are correct - I wrote down the wrong row letter on accident! The ticket is for section 111, row R, Seat 11. I'll message you about a price!
starlight-still
truth bomb

I went to this show! :D Just came back to the ol’ idb to share some thoughts and reflections with anyone who cares to read as much or as little of it as they please (and warning: it’s long af but broken down so you can easily skip what you’re not interested in). The goal is to share as much I can so hopefully folks who choose to read before their show(s) can set themselves up for the best possible experience and those who read after can reflect and relate.

So I, a 30+ single a** childless a** fan (read: so I can’t even be cute like those “my husband/daughter/niece loved it!” people) had a really nice time at the show. And if I can, you probably can too.

First, a minimal-spoiler (really only talk about the general nature of how they speak to the audience) note on seat location if you haven’t bought tickets yet or are thinking of switching:
My brain did a bit of a disconnect thing where I’m used to them looking directly at us as audience through the camera but here they were projecting outward, so it often felt like they were performing over our (people not in VIP but not in the second section back or balcony) heads rather than to us. Something to consider if you haven’t bought tickets yet: cheaper balcony or further back seats may actually give you a more engaged feeling since you’ll be closer to their line of sight. I didn’t feel this way about TATINOF but since this show had so much talking directly to the audience it was much more apparent. For TATIOF, I loved my close-up seat so much that I did something similar this time only to wish that I’d been a bit further back or even in the balcony. Ah well, still had a blast :love2:
Now on to the review!

Before the Show
Rather than scramble for merch or hang out in the crowded lobby, I opted to pre-game the grown and sexy way: with a glass of white wine and back episodes of Pose at the hotel bar across the street. I tried to play it cool but was bubbling with excitement, so much so that the bartender kindly asked “What are you watching? It must be really good, you are smiling from the heart!” And I was thinking yes I am grown and sexy srs bns woman in this hotel lobby rn about to do some srsly grown...screaming and crying over a couple of cute English lads from the internet. Heh.

But that’s the deppy effect for you. They’ll make you smile from the heart.
Arriving at the Venue/Audience Vibe
I popped over to the venue and it was madness, but in a very joyful and supportive way. Still young, sure, and energized, especially around the merch table but not hyper-hyper like with TATINOF.

The community glue was apparent immediately. Folks greeted friends and yelled across the sidewalks to compliment strangers on their outfit choices. During the half hour before the show, several people ran through the center aisles with various pride flags, which were met with cheers all around. The artist who created the Ladydoor remix was in the house and bobbed up and down in the VIP section to the song when it came on (shout out to you for the amazing dancing!). Dan’s siri cracked a few jokes between genuine bangers.

Then it was time...lights down, clips up, and the boys making their big entrance.
Rather than a play by play from here, I’m going to focus on a few highlights in various areas from throughout the show.

Stage Presence
My thoughts on first seeing Phil is that his arms are really long....like really, really long. So long.

My thoughts on first seeing Dan were that his dimples are really really adorable in person.

I will be honest, I was a bit less in awe of them as these god-like creatures this time around. Now let me break that down a bit. They honestly just felt like two regular dudes to me and I’m sure it was by design. Don’t get me wrong- they are both very attractive, in many ways even more so than they were back in 2016. As a fully professed phillie I have to come clean and confess that I couldn’t take my eyes off...Daniel (gasp!). His dimpled smile is especially radiant on stage. And Phil’s beauty really shone through when he interacted with specific audience members and he looked so fatherly and mature during the real talk, like he completely stripped away the whole “Amazing Phil” even more so than in the rest of the show.

Bottom line, as hokey as its gonna sound, what made them beautiful to me this time around was when they were doing something they seemed to genuinely enjoy and it shined through on their faces: for Dan working the crowd in a more traditional comedy sense and for Phil connecting with individuals in the audience or leading an activity.
Super cute moments
- Any time they broke away from the program a little bit and had a moment where they connected with each other and chuckled. There was a lot more of this than in TATINOF due to more spontaneous (and semi spontaneous) content. Even with the rushing and sort of autopilot feel that the show had at times they do seem much more comfortable and confident in front of a live audience as a team.
- The Sox and Cubs jerseys during the song!!! Phil looked especially good in his Sox one with the side cap and sunglasses.
- Dan hollering about Giordano’s about 500 times in the show. I’ve read a lot of intros where they talk about Phil eating sugar so it was nice that they flipped the script and let Dan be the foodie one for a minute. And if that really was their tour bus that screeched off site led by a cop car minutes after the show ended they weren’t playing about going to eat it right afterwards!
- The playlists were so much better this time for me as an older person, they even had an 80s song on there! Even the stuff I didn’t recognize got me in the mood much more than last time.
- Dan enjoying some of Phil’s jokes from the sidelines
- They really made an effort with the localization - clean water, jerseys, the bean, deep dish...okay that’s all general stuff that any tourist worth their “it’s vacation!” level sodium intake knows but it really did feel like they put in an effort to make it so much more than “Hello [insert city name here]!”
Foin moments (warning: skip if you'd prefer not to go down the thirsty heaux route today :twisted: )
- Uh any time Phil got on his knees ya feel me
- This one time after the first part of the rap when Phil took off his gear and kinda looked down and smiled and was the sweet boyish dude we know and love again (and also looked like he knew he really nailed it...or maybe he knew he totally messed some part of it up and was laughing to himself lol).
- Phil looking out into the audience to find the ball people during "Dan's Box?" (he looked suuuper handsome when he squinted his eyes a bit and went into semi-normal voice mode to gently ask the individuals for their answers).
- Phil doing the “suckit” gesture (you know the one....yes, it involves the d area) during his rap when he said the line about being demonetized.
- Basically Phil’s whole rap was fire and so so so much fun to see live.
- Dan when he got an attitude with us about the wheel vote thing at the very end of the first part...just the way he walks off stage especially, like he’s been waiting his whole career to put us in our place like that.
- Phil play-almost falling off the stage. His coordination is getting better as he’s able to pull it off very effectively (he even did it in his rap).
- Also when Phil did the stunts on the wheel with his back to the audience he…er gave us a bit of an eyeful.
- Phil grinding his hips side to side just enough to be ever so slightly, pg-13 level provocative (like not in that exaggerated white boy way like he found his joints and was really *working* it for a minute) while he was getting ready to do one of the x-rated Lesters..!!!
Genuinely funny moments that deserve all the props :respekt2:
- Their intro vid/skits, “what this show is *not* gonna be” I mean…the whole “hair touching” thing lol like where did that even come from? Do people try and touch their hair? I’ll just say #relatable
- Phil hitting Dan in the d three times and him being so scandalized that he had one of his famous tantrums live and in person.
- When Phil threw the “Dan’s box” paper into the audience and was like “oh, it’s like the walking dead down there!” when people got excitedly grabby (but were actually being really kind and sharing it with each other by ripping it into tiny pieces).
- I really liked how they designed a whole sim/choose your own adventure for us to vote on live. I tended to enjoy their outright scripted and prepared stuff more in TATINOF (rather than the stuff that pretends to be off the cuff but is actually planned and honestly most of the audience input-type stuff) and I have to say the same for ii (sim was second favorite part next to Phil’s rap).
- The dog choice thing was like this time’s magic show. Actually I really enjoyed Phil in the parts where he was leading us in an activity like that (also Dan’s box). It was like we got a little taste of original party game-making Phil!
- Them roasting themselves a bit for TATINOF (seven second challenge/llama and erotica jokes in the intro).
- Dan’s “stabbing your friend” monologue during Wholesome Howell – a+ performance (or a star as y’all say in England...I think?).
- Dan’s “extreme” gesticulating during the...wait…I think it was the polling part? He started dabbing a lot at one point and doing other big aggressive and obnoxious “boom boom boom” type gestures which I found absolutely hilarious coming from him.
Moments that deserve... a participation trophy :gg:
- I liked “amused parents award” as an idea but the execution didn’t quite work as well as it might have in TATINOF. As they’ve already mentioned, much more of the audience seemed to be college age and up this time around.
- Furry jokes. Yeah...unless he really is one and that’s part of living his truth.
- The whole “introvert” theme...it’s on all the merch (which was selling like hotcakes at a restaurant full of phils btw omg that line) but is mentioned once and doesn’t really come up again, at least not explicitly. A lot of what they say can be taken as implying that it’s how they choose to interact with their audience and why they even think about things like hive mind and genuinely connecting with so many people in some way because they are introverts but that’s about it. I get it, though, they know their audience and the branding works very, very well on a broader level.
Revealing/New moments
- “That’s how Phil really sees himself” Dan re: angel Phil
- Them getting into the whole persona discussion a tiny bit more than usual and admitting that Phil really is just a generally upbeat, polite, and considerate guy and Dan is just a sarcastic a** weirdo whose thoughts go even darker than anything we’ve ever seen him say or do on camera or stage.
- The “money raining from the sky” choice in x-rated Lester was probably about as capita£ester as they’re gonna get. Don’t know how much of the audience enjoyed it but I was giggling up a storm.
Dan talking about free will, however minor it was.
- When Phil kept moaning into the mic during x rated Lester only to annoy (???) Dan, and Dan’s giggly reaction. Does he do that every time? Maybe it was his little way of making Dan laugh and reminding him to have fun.
- Them coming at us for hive mind...I think they maybe shied away from it a bit more than originally, but it was still something they haven’t brought up before, at least not lately.
And finally...my hopes for next time
- Louisville, pleeeeeease sacrifice Phil I really really wanna see him work the wheel and I really really *really* want to see Dan do the whole latex and leather routine…dannies especially...trust me on this one.
- Phil I don’t care how humid it gets, ya better bring it for the rap again because that was hands down my favorite part of the show.
- That Phil can really sit on the side of the stage with his feet dangling during real talk (if they’re still doing that when they can).
- Speaking of which...unique real talk answers (okay the baby naming one was kinda cute but not about them, otherwise we just got the very generic “scared for college” and “doing YouTube/creative thing and scared tell parents” ones...though did enjoy Dan’s live telling of the eight yogurts story with the latter).

Honestly though it’ll be my last live dnp hurrah and bittersweet and emotional as all out so I’m sure I’ll be happy no matter what :love1:
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

@starlight-still, what an amazing show recap!! Thank you for posting that. I really love your opinions on what part of the show worked and what didn't, that's like my favorite thing to hear people who have just been discuss.
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual

Grey wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:20 am
I wasn’t sure where I was supposed to post this but I want to share because I just got back from II in Chicago! It was extremely fun. I was so scared I was going to hate it for a variety of reasons but it was great (IMO)... why did I ever doubt them? (I didn’t look up spoilers before going so it was mostly all new to me).

When it first started and WTTBP was playing and everyone was singing, it was past the show’s start time (not sure if that’s typical) and I did for a split second wonder if the whole show would be songs playing and they would never come out, LOL. Everyone seemed to be having a blast without them anyway! But then of course they did come out.

I was partly scared the screaming would ruin it for me. The screaming did not ruin it, on the contrary I felt it made the show much better because they worked it so well. I was impressed, they are obviously experienced with their own audience. I think it honestly would have been boring without the screamers so thank you to everyone who lost their voices tonight.

I was also scared it was going to make me feel bad as a fan. It didn’t. I mean they did talk about fandoms etc and the crazy mob mentality / treating them like sims etc. But it didn’t seem like they were mad at us (not sure why I was expecting that but I was). I felt it ended more on a positive note about their audience. In fact I thought the way they used the screaming (which would have inevitably occurred anyway) to improve the show rather than detract from it was an example of them almost appreciated their audience too. So it didn’t make me feel bad.

I couldn’t hear the words during Phil’s diss track. It was too loud; all I could hear was a couple words and mostly really loud thumping. I’m going to have to look them up.

Overall, really fun experience. I’m not a show-going person at all but I’m so glad I went to this one. :heart:
Next I’m going to start reading transcripts from other shows if I can find them!
"If you're left-handed, ask a friend."
"Why am I left-handed?"
"Everybody makes mistakes."