IDB Watch Parties

A permanent home for threads that will no longer be updated.
Tottrie
drama llama
Pronouns: she/her

The twitter account is a really great idea! I think that maybe we could do a "header poster" to it? So people easily see it. We could also put a link in the description to idb. Then when the Phandom watch fest is we could post it and put one link to the first video and one to Ibd. And use the hashtag, which I think is great! 😄 maybe we could get updatephan om twitter to tell the phandom about us? Just like "go follow them!"

I think that this can really be a thing, we watch videos together every Sunday. But one think that I wounder is, when it grows, who decides what videos to watch? Should we do a private group that controls that or do we keep it completely open? I think a group could be more controllable, maybe? But it would also be fun for people to vote. Maybe we could do that people vote on the theme and then we pick the videos?

I also really like the idea of the #thankyoudanandphil! In my opinion that should be on the 19th? And we can do a nostalgic theme for the #Phandomwatch that Sunday. And then in November we could watch all the pinofs and discuss them. We could use our Phandomwatch twitter to start the hashtag and also on tumbler where we could write longer posts.

Is there anything that someone needs to do for the official launch of Phandom watch fest? I think this is so fun that I want to do something ^^
lesterchuu
philussy
Pronouns: he/she/they

poster update:

@Tottrie mentioned a twitter banner and i think the illustration im making for the poster can also be used for the banner. or we could go with this too:

disclaimer: i have no post-secondary design experience, so any feedback would be nice.
"you are next to me in my life"
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

Both posters are amazing. Those photos encapsulate important moments so well and the chibi drawing is so cute. Love them coming out of the tv. The tv badge might make the most sense too, but they all look good. The neon idea is snazzy.
Tottrie
drama llama

So good posters!! 😍

For the tweeter banner I really like the idea of neon sign and the TV. 😄
Maybe the one where Dan and Phil are in the TV and the neon sign?
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

The posters are so cute!! I love them. I also think the twitter idea is great, though I'm curious to see if you plan on trying to keep it on IDB as well at all or not. I don't feel like you'll get a lot of cross-interaction once you've got it going both places. The timestamps were by far my favorite part of that and twitter will have the instant gratification of quick responses but it won't have the conversational aspect.

Twitter will probably open it up to the widest audience, though. I feel like in the scheme of like, tiers of openness a group chat would close it down completely to just a small core group, IDB keeps it limited to more analytical conversation between forum members but allows it to be a spectator sport for lurkers, and twitter lets anyone jump in but you won't have nearly the capacity to let everyone see everything or have any kind of organized conversation flow. They all have their pros and cons, basically. There's nothing wrong with trying it out multiple ways. (Though I'm still biased against the exclusivity of group chats or discord, but that's just a personal opinion. Most people don't feel comfortable joining an already established group chat so you'd probably just permanently end up with whoever happened to attend the first couple and that'd be it.)

I don't see any down side to letting people continue to vote on what videos. If you do end up permanently moving to twitter, twitter polls are a thing. If you keep it here, strawpoll or generally just taking suggestions from people replying to the thread would work.
Ablissa
pastel persona

ame wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:21 pm so tldr of proposed timeline:
  • starting this week (or after posters finished) we spread the word about the phaniversary event + phandom watch
  • have final test viewing this sunday
  • 19th trend #thankyoudanandphil and #phandomwatch with good stuff and spon idb
  • 20th ??????????????????
  • 21st grand opening of phandom watch yay!
what do you guys think? is it too much for a first viewing or nah?
First of all omg I love the posters so much!!! I also like the retro tv idea, but wow, what a fantastic job you did with these! Thank you!!

Second, that sounds good to me. Let me expand on that:
- before we spread the word we need to decide on the specifics (what platforms are we using, how do we want it to work, a theme and videos should be decided here via a poll among us without involving others for now imo)
- considering it's phanniversary we should watch something iconic for maximum exposure, so... PINOF 1? or like I said earlier a comparison between PINOF 1 and 9? We can marathon them in another showing in November
- let's keep the test showing on IDB then, but if we have friends that might be interested we could start doing some light spon? :D

So I suggest: we have two things to decide. First we need to decide what we are watching next weekend and figure out if we need to change anything for that. Second we need to decide the above things I just mentioned.
alittledizzy wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:43 pm
The posters are so cute!! I love them. I also think the twitter idea is great, though I'm curious to see if you plan on trying to keep it on IDB as well at all or not. I don't feel like you'll get a lot of cross-interaction once you've got it going both places. The timestamps were by far my favorite part of that and twitter will have the instant gratification of quick responses but it won't have the conversational aspect.

Twitter will probably open it up to the widest audience, though. I feel like in the scheme of like, tiers of openness a group chat would close it down completely to just a small core group, IDB keeps it limited to more analytical conversation between forum members but allows it to be a spectator sport for lurkers, and twitter lets anyone jump in but you won't have nearly the capacity to let everyone see everything or have any kind of organized conversation flow. They all have their pros and cons, basically. There's nothing wrong with trying it out multiple ways. (Though I'm still biased against the exclusivity of group chats or discord, but that's just a personal opinion. Most people don't feel comfortable joining an already established group chat so you'd probably just permanently end up with whoever happened to attend the first couple and that'd be it.)
This is what I was trying to say in my earlier post but did a worse job than you :lol:. If we move to a group chat, the forum won't be used anymore.
I feel like twitter can supplement the forum, but will people still come here and do some in depth discussion about the videos? Because that part was awesome. Plus if we get the phandom interested in this project, IDB could have some new users too (which can be both good and bad, but generally it's nice to have more posts)

My thoughts:
I think we can keep IDB as the main platform for this even when we expand outside of it. Make sure we spon IDB everywhere, make the thread way ahead of time so the link is in all posts on social media, etc. We can invite people to come read the discussion and participate if they want OR use the hashtag, hopefully that will get some interest. In the end, only those that want to use a forum will come here and become posters, but we may get a lot of new lurkers that will eventually "evolve" into posters.

So tl;dr - still focus mainly on IDB and get the word out, use the hashtag to draw more people in, and hopefully us IDB users will still come and discuss here even if we use twitter in real time - those posts will be the best spon for IDB that we can have.

What are your thoughts, everyone?
lesterchuu
philussy

what @Ablissa said ^

from the start, i understood it as "using the hashtag as an alternative to group chats but also to provide the lurkers with some comfort blanket". since we are the ones hosting the event, i do want to keep idb as the main platform, but i also know how long it took me to go from lurker to poster status lol. i felt intimidated and i didnt know when to jump in. hopefully the discussions can encourage people to join in too but if not, they can freely tweet or post about it in their social media of choice using the hashtag.

we could keep the polls here and let people post video suggestions here, that way its still centered on the forums. of course theres also the possibility that people will make long threads of discussion outside idb and...well, i dont really mind. people will be talking about it and will be going back for the polls eitherway. having good discussions is our selling point, people will come naturally.

#idbspon coughs
opendoor
rainbow nerd

OMG I wrote a really long post on mobile but my internet cut out as I pressed submit and it disappeared. I'll recreate it. :(
ame wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:17 am from the start, i understood it as "using the hashtag as an alternative to group chats but also to provide the lurkers with some comfort blanket". since we are the ones hosting the event, i do want to keep idb as the main platform, but i also know how long it took me to go from lurker to poster status lol. i felt intimidated and i didnt know when to jump in. hopefully the discussions can encourage people to join in too but if not, they can freely tweet or post about it in their social media of choice using the hashtag.

we could keep the polls here and let people post video suggestions here, that way its still centered on the forums. of course theres also the possibility that people will make long threads of discussion outside idb and...well, i dont really mind. people will be talking about it and will be going back for the polls eitherway. having good discussions is our selling point, people will come naturally.
With you on all this, I vote no group chat. I was considering it but I think it would detract from discussion on the forum, and it's not worth it, especially if lurkers/people who want to post as they watch can do so in the twitter hashtag!
And I think we should pick the videos from a strawpoll posted here on the forum and nowhere else, that way we can participate, and so can lurkers, and the voting will still be based here on the forum.

Comparing PINOF 1 and 9 two weeks from now is a fab idea- I couldn't tell, was the plan to get some non-idb phandom in for that, because I think that'd be great. :whiskers:

I love the pigeonfest poster with all my heart, I truly do, it's perfect. But yeah having a nice-looking one too is probs a good idea.

Oh and finally I like the two sessions, living in Aus I have been personally victimised by timezones dozens of times, so I want to cater to everyone in this phandom-run initiative (I'm making us sound like spies lol). From what I saw when I submitted to the strawpoll, both groups were populated.
I miss Dan Howell's stupid face.
jesp
why bother

I'm happy to create a subforum for threads relating to watch parties - this would help prevent threads being buried in the D&P subforum, and would mean people would have a more direct link to share elsewhere. Just let me know if the general consensus is a yes and I'll sort it out as soon as I can.
LurkingTrash
woodland creature
Pronouns: She/Her

I think this is a good format, I'd love to scream a bit on twitter while watching and then use that as reference to write a post/timestamp for IDB, having some quick interactions on twitter and then more in depth (i giggle every time I type these words here) discussion here. And if one of the main focus is to get as many people to rewatch as we can, having that happen across multiple platforms could make that happen easier.
A hashtag would still work for tumblr too, and I also have no idea about the instagram phandom, hopefully we can build a bridge there in the future.
And I agree that groups chats might not be as good, between all the other things there is also the question that if we keep this in platforms already existing we only have te job of making the event wildly know, with a chat you also have to convince people to join in

I love the ideas for the posters! wow! they look really good!!
just the sight of the #thankyoudanandphil is already making me emotional

I think voting for what video to watch it still the best idea but there's the question of who will keep coming up with what videos to vote for, since listing all of them is practically impossible...

tl;dr: no new ideas :lol: I just agree with a lot of what people already said
lesterchuu
philussy

ok last update before i resign to play a couple games before going to bed...

a close-up

took me like a solid 15 minutes trying to figure out to make a neon lights effect on photoshop...it certainly has been a while. i still have to add the "idb presents" #spon and the details down below but ill do that another day. i was going to do a lighter background but the neon lights wont work otherwise, so this is my compromise. i was also originally going to make it light blue but it looked weird. anyways if you guys have any suggestions, im also happy to make adjustments.

also, people who are better at writing pls help me write a short but clear blurb to put about this event. just a quick what when where thing. and maybe for what purpose this thing is for. ty ly bb :dogue:
opendoor
rainbow nerd

ame wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:16 am ok last update before i resign to play a couple games before going to bed...

a close-up

took me like a solid 15 minutes trying to figure out to make a neon lights effect on photoshop...it certainly has been a while. i still have to add the "idb presents" #spon and the details down below but ill do that another day. i was going to do a lighter background but the neon lights wont work otherwise, so this is my compromise. i was also originally going to make it light blue but it looked weird. anyways if you guys have any suggestions, im also happy to make adjustments.

also, people who are better at writing pls help me write a short but clear blurb to put about this event. just a quick what when where thing. and maybe for what purpose this thing is for. ty ly bb :dogue:
YOU WIZARD YOU SHAMAN IT'S GORGEOUS! Legit it's so good :stan: :stan: :stan:
I miss Dan Howell's stupid face.
glitterintheair
phillluminati

@ame oh my god it looks so good, I LOVE IT!! <3 <3 <3
I'm a winter flower underground, always thirsty for summer rain.
kavat
pastel persona

Love the art! :loveeyes:

I love the idea of having Phandom Watch Sundays bere on IDB, and using the hashtag to promote it on other places as well for people to discuss if they prefer other mediums. I for example don't have a fandom Twitter account and wouldn't be comfortable spamming my friends and family with deppy stuff, but others might prefer that to posting here. I just like the idea of having options.

I also liked jesp's idea of having an own subforum for the watch parties. It wouldn't clog up the Dan & Phil forum as much and probably make it easier for newcomers to navigate.
glitterintheair
phillluminati

Yeah i agree, I think a subforum is a good idea. :tu:
I'm a winter flower underground, always thirsty for summer rain.
Ablissa
pastel persona

ame wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:16 am
asdasjdas the poster is so BEAUTIFUL!!! Thank you so much for your hard work, this is gorgeous!!! <3 <3 <3
I will write up a blurb a bit later today, let's just agree on a few things first:
  • For the phandom/phanniversary showing, should we have two meeting times to not exclude anyone + keep the hype going or just run the same 24 hour format we're going to try this weekend among ourselves i.e meet up at say like 2 PM BST and then keep it running for 24h?
  • Are we using the idea to watch PINOF 1 vs PINOF 9 and discuss the differences for the phanniversary? I think it would attract some people but I'm open to suggestions!
@jesp thanks so much, I think a subforum might be good so we don't spam here! I hope IDB people will notice it and read it too, and I also hope won't mind if I spon it in the main thread once just in case someone missed it!! :)
Ataraxia25
flower crown
Pronouns: they/them

you have amazing ideas! it's a little bit much for my own brain sometimes so sorry not to be of great help!
also sorry for this post, it's my mess of thoughts

first, @ame you're AMAZING! these posters and headers are beautiful.

i really think we should keep it on idb, partly because i'm proud of being a part of this forum, i love all of you and i want the world to see what our admins created and also because.. well, we are hosting the watch party so... and like @ame (again) said, using the twiter hashtag would help more people come here. I spent several months lurking before FINALLY having the courage to post a tiny message here. I also remember that, when i first heard of idb, it looked like this amzing websites only for "cool people", for the "knowledgeable fans" and i was so impressed and scared.
So i think the hashtag twitter would make people come on idb and be welcoming and stuff. Like a soft introduction.

however, i think it's better to keep pinof for november! but maybe we could watch three iconics videos (one AP, one dinof and one DAPG) and like @glitterintheair said, the first dapg would be a very good idea!

also, thank you from me to everyone who made it possible and participated because i had such a goo time and it felt nice to be a part of something :valentine:
:gayaf:
Ablissa
pastel persona

@Ataraxia25 your input is super helpful! I love all of your ideas everyone, even just agreeing is a great help because then we know which direction is good. <3

We are all torn on the PINOF subject I see. Let me list the suggestions I saw for our "phanniversary" aka the first time we branch out and invite people from tumblr/twitter. Please add your own suggestions and we'll just make a poll! Remember it should be something people will really want to watch and discuss! (we also have to decide on what we're watching this weekend here on IDB)
  • First DAPG video
  • Some iconic dinof, AP, DAPG videos - but which? And are we prepared to watch and discuss 3 videos?
  • PINOF 1 vs PINOF 9
  • Monster Pops aka the beginning of the post baking universe
  • Maybe we could watch a DITL?
LadyLackless
cheeky #spon

Apologies in advance for trampling in with opinions!

I would kind of like to save the pinof marathon. I think we should do all 1-9 in one go as the early ones are short. I feel like it’s more appropriate to do it in the run up to pinof 10? Like maybe on 18th or 25th Nov (when does pinof usually drop?) A full pinof marathon takes less than 1hr!

However I can also see the argument for doing pinof around the phaniversary too to bring more people in

How about doing a ditl retrospective? A playlist of all ditl including dnp and dogs and week in the life would be 2hrs. Too ambitious? Ditl are not videos that are suffering for views, but it would maybe be a nice reflection on their relationship over the years. Another problem with this idea is that all the ditl are on AP, which means we are not giving any love to dinof (unless on another date we do a Dan Story Time series or Reasons Why Dan’s A Fail)
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

Firstly, I love the poster! It's gorgeous!!

I think a subforum would really help with the organization of this too. I also agree with leaving pinof until November so it's fresher in our minds leading up to this year's. I also like the idea of comparing 1 and 9 as that would garner some really interesting discussion. My only request is that we have a Mark of Oxin themed one at some point because tbh that's top tier gaming channel content.
lesterchuu
philussy

i like the idea of doing a 2 day phanniversay themed watch party. im starting to like the idea of keeping pinofs for november. as for the videos that can substitute that, we can do (im adding ones that have been suggested already but im on mobile so i mightve missed some):

- comparing apartment tour vs were moving out videos, i believe the tour is in dans channel and the latter is in phils so it works out kinda

- monster pops, the start of a new era

- their day in the life videos, but most of them are in phils channel so maybe we can just pick one? unless we go w @LadyLackless idea.

- first dapg viddy

- old pre-2014 gems (i cant sift through it now but there should be a couple)

- mark of oxin
jesp
why bother

Okay, there's a watch party subforum now, and the two existing threads have been moved here. If you need any instruction/guideline threads stickied, just post it and report the thread asking for it to be stickied in the "further information" section.
autumnhearth
senpai

The art and graphic design are amazing!!! I’m really hoping to catch a watch party, probably the phanniversary one as Sundays are my family time. Thank you everyone! I agree, I save my pinof marathoning for mid to late November. But comparing 1 and 9 or pinof 1 and AmazingDan would be lovely.

Oh I have a playlist of my fav/what I see as the most iconic vids (some early ones chosen to help understand their history) if anyone needs inspiration for choosing

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... nB_ia41WRB
LurkingTrash
woodland creature

@ame the posters/headers are amazing! Oh my gosh I even turned on my computer because it deserved to be seen in a bigger screen than my phone.

I agree that leaving pinof for november in preparation of pinof 10 might be a better option but I don't know what we could pick for phanniversary celebration, I like a few ideas suggested so far, we could also get something from LessAmazingPhil and danisnotinteresting like maybe all the try new things?

There's so many possibilities, I also thought about doing an old vs new joint liveshow but that wouldn't help with views since only very few and only new ones are on their channels
hello9217
flower crown

Maybe just doing videos that everyone believes are very Phan for the phaniversary because I also agree that pinof should be for November. So like the blindfolded cat face video, festive ditl, monster pops, moving out video. Something that everyone agrees is super cute dan and phil videos