IDB Phandom Watch Fest - Phanniversary Edition!

User avatar
Ablissa
angel bean
Posts: 1072
Joined: Thu May 05, 2016 5:49 pm
Pronouns: she/her
Location: Poland

Re: IDB Phandom Watch Fest - Phanniversary Edition!

Post by Ablissa » Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:42 pm

That feeling when actual Dan and Phil compete with your Watch Fest. You jelly bois??? :evil: :rofl:

Phil is doing a live show at our watch fest hour, so we are pushing the watch fest up to 8 PM UTC/9 PM BST!

Let's all watch the ls at 7 PM UTC and then come back here an hour later to resume our watch fest as planned.
Please rt this if you can so people see it: https://twitter.com/PhandomWatch/status ... 7485399040



User avatar
lesterchuu
morning quiff
Posts: 470
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:42 pm
Pronouns: he/she/they
Location: canada

Re: IDB Phandom Watch Fest - Phanniversary Edition!

Post by lesterchuu » Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:08 pm

Ablissa wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:42 pm
That feeling when actual Dan and Phil compete with your Watch Fest. You jelly bois??? :evil: :rofl:

Phil is doing a live show at our watch fest hour, so we are pushing the watch fest up to 8 PM UTC/9 PM BST!

Let's all watch the ls at 7 PM UTC and then come back here an hour later to resume our watch fest as planned.
Please rt this if you can so people see it: https://twitter.com/PhandomWatch/status ... 7485399040
i literally started the first video thinking im on schedule then i just saw the tweet...im laughing, tsk tsk deppy
Image
"you are next to me in my life"

User avatar
Ablissa
angel bean
Posts: 1072
Joined: Thu May 05, 2016 5:49 pm
Pronouns: she/her
Location: Poland

Re: IDB Phandom Watch Fest - Phanniversary Edition!

Post by Ablissa » Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:59 pm

:babuse: After that lovely ls, let's start NOW! :babuse:

Watch the videos one after another and either chat here, take notes and post them afterwards, or use the hashtag #PhandomWatch on your preferred social media!
Any questions? Hit me up here or on tumblr/twitter!

Questions to consider:
1. What do you think of their dynamic back in 2012? Were they equals? Were they on the same page?
2. How much was 'for the camera', how much was just them and their comfort with one another?
3. Were you in the phandom in 2012? Do you remember if their humor bothered you back then? If not, what do you think of it now?
4. Which moment stood out to you the most - in both videos?

User avatar
CapriciousCrab
spork
Posts: 66
Joined: Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:45 pm
Pronouns: She/her

Re: IDB Phandom Watch Fest - Phanniversary Edition!

Post by CapriciousCrab » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:42 pm

1. What do you think of their dynamic back in 2012? Were they equals? Were they on the same page?

I do think they were equals. They still played off of each other like they do now, they were just more awkward about it when they were younger. As far as being on the same page? I think overall they were but it seems like they had differing comfort levels.

2. How much was 'for the camera', how much was just them and their comfort with one another?

I think a lot of the DITL was for the camera since it was their first one and they probably wanted to make sure it was interesting. It wasn't bad but it wasn't as fluid and relaxed as the WITL

3. Were you in the phandom in 2012? Do you remember if their humor bothered you back then? If not, what do you think of it now?

I wasn't in the phandom then. I think the humor was a product of the time and their age. It's shit humor but i don't hold it against them.

4. Which moment stood out to you the most - in both videos?

DITL-the "wake up" scenes. Glad they've done away with that
WITL-all of the "we, us, our" language.

User avatar
huphilpuffs
crusty sponge
Posts: 29
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:33 am
Pronouns: she/her
Location: ontario

Re: IDB Phandom Watch Fest - Phanniversary Edition!

Post by huphilpuffs » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:06 pm

I think after watching the two videos, what stands out most to me is how much more <i>joint</i> the 2018 video feels. Obviously both show them going through a day/week together, but, idk, it feels like there's much more focus on that togetherness in the 2018 video. Like they're always filming each other and talking behind the camera and talking about each other, whereas the 2012 one had quite a few moments where they were just doing their own thing. Which isn't a bad thing by any means. It's just interesting to see how their on-camera interactions with each other have evolved over the course of the last few years. (It also made me notice a few things about WITL that I missed the first time, like matching water bottles).

It's also interesting to see how many moments mirror each other. Dan filming Phil eating a twinkie vs eating a banana. Them in the lift. Them having breakfast. Phil filming Dan in bed (sounds odd but you know what I mean). Even when they're busy with tour rehearsals, the little day to day moments that they share haven't really changed much, which just drew my attention to the fact that how they <i>share</i> those moments has definitely changed. It makes me really happy to see how much more comfortable they seem sharing the littler moments now.

1. I think they seemed to be equals, but they're (on camera) dynamic definitely seems ... almost clumsier. I mean obviously they had less experience sharing their life back then so it would be. They seemed to be on the same page, but in a more planned way. More moments felt like they were ~for the camera~ (although that could be because they're ability to act naturally in vlogs has improved too, idk.) But I was also kinda surprised to see some of the togetherness? I don't rewatch 2012 vids often just because I like grown up dnp a little better, and so it's easy to fall into the black & white perception the phandom often seems to have of 2012. But moments like Dan stirring their coffees or "we're not a family of 10 Phil!" really remind me that it wasn't as <i>separate</i> as we sometimes make it seem. (I feel like this contradicts my first point. It was definitely less <i>together</i> than it is now, but still more than I expected after not having watched the video for so long.)

2. Kinda already addressed this but I think overall most of it was just them going about their lives trying to be funny, but like they definitely had more of a persona in 2012 than they seem to now, in general and in these specific videos. Idk my brain's a little numb today so I'd need to think about it more.

3. Wasn't around in 2012, and the humor is definitely jarring now. It doesn't really bother me, per se, because I know that people grow, and they obviously have. It does diminish my enjoyment of it some, though. I just think they're being dorky together now is way funnier than the jokes they made back then. Like I said, I think they were trying to be funny, and since I don't find most of it funny, a lot of those moments kind of fall flat with little to fall back on. I'm really glad they don't make those jokes now, though. It wouldn't be nearly as excusable in 2018, imo.

4. I love their little interactions in 2012. The buying groceries, the jokes in the lift, Dan whacking (?) his thumb and Phil's little "oh dear," are all really cute. Them getting coffee and pointing out the Manchester Eye make me emotional. They were just so young (I say even though they were both older than I am now) and cute and it's fun to see their less established but still domestic life together back then. Which I guess kinda relates to how much I love seeing the way their life is so grounded and grown up now. Little things like having matching water bottles to save on single use plastic, Dan filming Phil playing Fortnite, Phil filming Dan in bed at 1am, Dan talking about Phil needing sunscreen. The domesticity in both videos really gets to me, obviously.
So uh, yeah. I feel like these thoughts are really dumb and not well thought out. The fibro fog is bad today so forgive my poor ability to articulate myself. But I love the reminder of where they've come from and where they are now, and seeing those two videos juxtaposed really draws attention to the fact that, even though they've grown, they've also had this life together for a really long time. It makes me really happy for them. <3
who met each other on the internet and created this entire world

User avatar
Ablissa
angel bean
Posts: 1072
Joined: Thu May 05, 2016 5:49 pm
Pronouns: she/her
Location: Poland

Re: IDB Phandom Watch Fest - Phanniversary Edition!

Post by Ablissa » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:06 pm

Bringing back some quotes from the last page to keep a discussion going! Share your thoughts everyone <3
autumnhearth wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:08 pm
2. Was there anything you disliked about the 2012 video? What did you like better about it?
A lot. I feel like I was cringing every 10 seconds (sometimes more frequently). Maybe I’m too PC and easily offended but ugh, I would not have followed them back then.
I had that impression on my first watch too, but on my second, I was able to focus more on the cute stuff. There's a bunch.
I do wonder about whether I would have followed them back in 2012... I started not long after, in 2013, so I guess that's a yes. I was accustomed to that type of humor, sadly.
Ataraxia25 wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:59 pm
i love how dan is not even aware that their friends cancelled on them ?
lol I never realized. Do you all think the friends were even real to begin with? :lol:
glitterintheair wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:06 pm
I'm so sad we won't get another ditl this year - I feel like after the mukbang video their level of comfort on camera would be even more visible now and I just need another ditl okay, please.
Omg yes. Imagine another festive ditl? Or... What if they do a Halloween themed ditl? They hinted at something that is not baking? Can we hope? Is there any point?
CapriciousCrab wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:42 pm
1. What do you think of their dynamic back in 2012? Were they equals? Were they on the same page?

I do think they were equals. They still played off of each other like they do now, they were just more awkward about it when they were younger. As far as being on the same page? I think overall they were but it seems like they had differing comfort levels.
YES! You put it into words! I felt it but couldn't give it a proper name. Definitely a difference in comfort levels - this was visible in their 2014 videos too (I remember from our last watch fest). Who do you think felt more comfortable on camera?


User avatar
CapriciousCrab
spork
Posts: 66
Joined: Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:45 pm
Pronouns: She/her

Re: IDB Phandom Watch Fest - Phanniversary Edition!

Post by CapriciousCrab » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:17 pm

Who do you think felt more comfortable on camera?

If I had to judge by their body language, I would say Phil. Dan spends a lot of his time closed off-arms either crossed or close to his body and he just seems a bit tense over all. Maybe it was nerves from filming some of their domestic moments?

Whereas Phil is all swinging arms and big movements like running/jumping about and just goofing off without seeming concerned with how it appears to other people.

User avatar
lesterchuu
morning quiff
Posts: 470
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:42 pm
Pronouns: he/she/they
Location: canada

Re: IDB Phandom Watch Fest - Phanniversary Edition!

Post by lesterchuu » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:49 pm

(day in the life)
0:38 - i love that apparently they "just woke up" but their hair are already straightened............🤨🤔🤨🤔🤨
1:00 - during the time when phil wasnt as good at looking for dans cereal
1:17 - what a great boyfriend, not helping with the groceries
1:33 - #iconic....maybe in the future youll have a family of ten (dogs)
3:53 - i feel like the negativity around dan's family were so wildly exaggerated over the years when in the first place, he seems to be pretty close w them.
4:32 - #ripmemories
5:23 - phil and his gender rolls....sigh
6:08 - dan likes hello kitty pass it on
7:28 - i mean...you dont have to be a "Girl™" to wear a cool sparkly dress
8:16 - a tired dad and his 5 year old child
10:41 - a nagging dad and his socially awkward child
11:25 - hmmm...i wonder what a "creamy, cakey horrible mess" reminds dan of....
13:38 - interesting how "dans room" also doubled as the "editing office"...
(a week in the life)
0:38 - i love how awkward dan get when doing a spon
0:50 - Local British Gay™ Can't Sit Properly On Chairs
1:45 - ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
3:30 - "we"
3:45 - phil...in his early stages of quiff....it wasnt quite as quiff-y yet
4:30 - the nips appreciation squad
5:07 - remember when we all died
5:45 - (aggressive tired dan voice) "SIX ME"
6:10 - here we see what dan and phil think is more important to protect in their own bodies...priorities
9:30 - ow, my face hurts from the fond
12:27 - :happytears:
14:27 - dan phone bye
14:48 - :happytears: :happytears: :happytears:
15:27 - ok everything after this is just me doing the ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) face because what the fuck gross i hate it ( :happytears: )
15:50 - "im going to eat you" sure you are
16:57 - #loveeyeslester
------------
1. What do you think of their dynamic back in 2012? Were they equals? Were they on the same page?

i think they still felt very comfortable with each other and the small bits where they lovingly reprimand each other mirrors how my friends call me out when im doing something stupid. although there were some awkward parts like how it felt as if they were playing up their "persona" by up a notch, they were still on the same page in terms of drawing a clear line with the audience. it like they were saying: "im not lying out of malice, but i wont be telling you everything" and considering the fandom climate and culture at the time, its understandable.

2. How much was 'for the camera', how much was just them and their comfort with one another?

despite ditl being a classic, perhaps at the time when everyone was still naive, it felt "casual and genuine" and for the most part it was. although it was so obvious that there were little white lies sprinkled here and there, heck, just the fact that the "i just woke" up looked so staged was telling. few years later, the witl feels a lot more like a breath of fresh air. first of all, an ACTUAL intro where they are already awake and ready is what i would call #characterprogression. then fast forward to the part where we all died: phil filming dan in their bed at 1am. if my 18 year old self saw this back then, id probably think i was seeing things. i think the real hot take here is that over the years, they because more comfortable to be with each other in front of us.

3. Were you in the phandom in 2012? Do you remember if their humor bothered you back then? If not, what do you think of it now?

yes. certainly looking back, i had the same humour as dan did but looking back into now, id think of it as childish and cringey. it didnt bother me back them because i was on the same wavelength - heck they even encouraged it. i think the reason why we had these "rebrandings" in the first place is because they are getting older, and so are we - the phandom.

everything stays but its still changing

4. Which moment stood out to you the most - in both videos?

#bedgate
Image
"you are next to me in my life"

citizen_erased
procrastinator
Posts: 306
Joined: Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:21 am
Location: Netherlands

Re: IDB Phandom Watch Fest - Phanniversary Edition!

Post by citizen_erased » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:52 pm

oohhh my first time properly joining the watch fest! I've watched the videos the first week but I don't think I commented anything. Anyway, I watch the DITL videos fairly regularly as it is, so this is kind of like a regular sunday night for me :lol:

DITL Manchester:
honestly, I think you can tell how they're still finding their way around? Like, there's the little board in the kitchen with DAN and PHIL written on it and lists with things, and of course there's The Rules. I think they were still figuring themselves out and in that process also how to live together. Obviously I don't know if they still have similar lists lying around, but for some reason I kind of doubt it? Also, why on earth is Phil editing the video in Dan's room.
WITL:
within the first minute this is already so much cuter and more domestic than the first one. I mean. Their own pastel plushies are right there? Phil practically falls on top of Dan? The pear joke? :happytears: also lmao dan 'this is literally pornography'. And then it just continues on for the rest of the video. We are blessed. :love1:

1. What do you think of their dynamic back in 2012? Were they equals? Were they on the same page?
Yes, I do think they were on the same page, I'm just not sure if they knew what that page exactly was. They're still kind of torn between 'we're actual nerds' and 'we're trying to be cool and funny' and 'wait if I do this thing will the other person think that's too weird?' They're much more actually themselves now :love1:
2. How much was 'for the camera', how much was just them and their comfort with one another?
I mean, probably a LOT is 'for the camera', but I'm also not entirely sure if there's that much of a difference between these two things, especially not nowadays.
3. Were you in the phandom in 2012? Do you remember if their humor bothered you back then? If not, what do you think of it now?
I started watching near the end of 2012, so apparently it didn't bother me back then. Though to be fair, when I first saw videos of them I hated it, it took me a while to get used to them, so maybe I just kind of adjusted. Still glad we all changed, though it also makes me wonder what we're going to cringe about in another 6 years from now.
4. Which moment stood out to you the most - in both videos?
I don't think I have one specific moment in any video that really stands out. It's just the general mood that's entirely different? The week in the life video feels a lot lighter and more comfortable. More comfortable with themselves, with each other, with the camera, with us. Like in the first DITL they're all 'look at us trying to be cool in our SEPARATE rooms and on our SEPARATE couches doing our SEPARATE things' and by WITL they're just attached at the hip. Dan films his own crotch and Phil's pyjama-leg is right there without any context/explanation. I love character development.

User avatar
obsessivelymoody
flower crown
Posts: 712
Joined: Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:56 am
Pronouns: she/her
Location: canada

Re: IDB Phandom Watch Fest - Phanniversary Edition!

Post by obsessivelymoody » Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:59 pm

Day in the life:
(1:39) - D: "We're not a family of ten, Phil"
(6:47) - Dan's "phiwl, phiwl" is too cute
(7:27) - Talk about Dan liking that dress and how it's "a bit weird" for him to wish he's a girl sometimes. Not a great joke but it's really great to see the growth from then to now
(9:28) - D: "And Phil is in his own little world again" :happytears:
(10:41) - Phil buying the kinder egg because he felt awkward going into the shop without buying anything is a) a mood, and b) Dan's reply always gets me. It's a nice little domestic moment, and an interesting look into their dynamic, especially at the time, and Phil himself.
(12:40) - Dan opening the kinder surprise. I always liked this bit for some reason, probably just because it's cute. Also first shot of Dan's ass in this video. I'm surprised we didn't see it earlier considering how out it was for the entirety of 2011-2012
(12:58) - Why is them making the same stupid mouth noises so endearing??
(13:58) - I am emotional by The Rules (also, I forgot how Dan's room, the smaller of the two, had their office corner in it)
-I just woke up. yeah okay
-galaxy background ): phanart ):
-Aaand Dan's hair looks magically perfectly straight but you know he also just woke up
-I always wonder why Phil kept in that testing clip of Dan's legs lol
-aw Phil's old glasses
-I have to agree with Dan about Phil's cereal concoction
-I could do without Dan's shaky camera crap
-"a towel" okay Phil. We all know it's three
-I could also do without Dan's 2012 humour. It really doesn't hold up, and it just reminds me of why I don't watch a lot of their (Dan's) old videos
-Ah a race joke (or rather two back to back). Nope.
-Manchester eye ):
-Manchester macchiatos ): Their Starbucks sofa ):
-Ugh I hate the iphone case talk
-They are really terrible at panning over things
-Don't like Dan's Japanese accent thing either
-I agree with Phil about American money. I feel like I had to double check the bills more than I'm used to with my ~colourful Canadian money lol
-The stripper talk feels so forced
-"Twinkie time" lmao
-Twinkies are disgusting so I don't blame them
-Kinder surprise toys aren't even toys that can be built anymore and it always makes me sad
-I love them being dorks together now that their plans changed
-aw the piano moment is cute
-I always forget about the Lion endings until they pop up. Cute
Week in the life:
(1:53) - Dan calling Phil pornography. That really fucking happened didn't it? And not even 2 mins into the video damn.
(2:27) - Dan giving Phil some "beheaded roses". I cannot believe them god
(3:37) - D: "I don't want to pop, I want to fade"
(4:33) - P: "Hello nips!" Just a Solid and Good moment. Also just cements Phil's nipple thing even further
(4:51) - There's a Star Wars coaster in shot and I'm very here for their nerdy possessions
(5:07) - P: "Dan it's 1 am, what are you doing?" This moment still kills me. The bed, the fact that it's 1 am, rumpled Dan. Fuckk
(7:50) - Phil playing fortnite while Dan is chilling, all sleepy, with him. I just adore this moment so much. Also furry jokes.
(8:30) - P: "I can hear myself"
D: "Finally you'll realise how annoying you are"
P: "Shut up"
They hurt me
(9:34) - Phil's sock colour question and Dan getting pissed at being shocked. Phil gets him again and then Dan chases him a bit. It's just cuteee.
(10:24) - Phil getting a hair cut. I love this bit so, so much. Much like Dan's compliment about Phil's forehead, it's just so wonderful.
(12:25) - P: "You're not naked, are you?"
D: "Yes, I'm about to just full frontal everybody on youtube"
(13:12) - D, about Phil's knees: "Watch out lads"
(14:28) - Dan drops his phone. I wish I had the same financial security to be that calm about dropping my $1000 phone three stories
(15:32) - Dan filming his shorts for an optical illusion (I still don't see it...) Also the emoji pj's are very close and very present.
(16:04) - Dan's hand fully down the back of his jeans. Why
-I love Dan lounging on the sofa
-Immediate thought: much better hair. The 6 years in between have done them extremely well
-their stupid humour always gets me
-I wonder where they are with the single use plastic now
-I love their costume reveals ahh
-I'm aware of the context of the printed about abs, but it doesn't make it less queer
-Ah. The crispy little dude. No. Did not age well at all.
-I love that Phil covers his balls and Dan covers his face. The dichotomy of man
-Still baffled by hulk=dan=shrek
-I love them fucking with each other while recording sound
-Phil's jean jacket, white shirt, and glasses combo is a god tier Phil outfit for me
-lol when they both go a bit Northern and Phil makes mini Phil kill mini Dan
-Dan's romper is a Look
-Their floor for the set argument is deliciously domestic. Also the casual mention of Dan potentially having a fishnet costume is so great
-I always find the bit where they get stuck in the lift interesting because of Phil's panic and Dan's more relaxed behaviour
-Their duet while leaving the rehearsal space is a lot lol
-Dan scaring Phil is cute
-Yeah those sunglasses really don't work at all
-Take out with Riverdale and all the dips ): They're cute ):
Questions:
1. Which video was your favourite out of the two?
witl for sure. There's so much about ditl that I find painful to watch now.
2. Was there anything you disliked about the 2012 video? What did you like better about it?
The humour is a stand out to me. It did not age well at all. Something I really liked about it was that it's a tiny, albeit forced and a bit put on, slice of their lives together earlier on. It's so interesting to see how they acted on camera with each other, but also how the more natural bits in their interactions were back then. I also love the Manchester nostalgia.
3. What's your favourite DITL in general and why?
Festive! It was actually the first video I got to watch "live" after joining the phandom so it has that nostalgia factor for me. But, it's also just so nice. It 100% holds up to today, and I think it's one of the first early on moments where they were starting to relax and establish the boundaries they want to have with the audience.
4. Do you often go back and re-watch their old videos from 2010-2013? What do you think of their humor back then?
I don't, mostly because of the humour, but also the awkwardness with their dynamic in that era. I can't entirely blame them though, because that was just how it was and because they've very clearly grown from then, which is important.
5. Why do you think the 2018 DITL has a relatively low viewcount (1.2 mil since April)?
I think that's a general algorithm thing, but I think maybe the fact that a lot of it is really just tour spon isn't for everyone.

---
1. What do you think of their dynamic back in 2012? Were they equals? Were they on the same page?
I think they were equals, and on the same page. However, I think it can come across as if they aren't because they were definitely still figuring out how to interact with their audience, and how they wanted to appear in their videos. Their audience was also growing pretty quickly, and it was about a year before they hit the big boom in subscribers.
2. How much was 'for the camera', how much was just them and their comfort with one another?
I think both videos are pretty even for what's for the camera. witl is kind of a big spon video, while ditl isn't but they're figuring out how they want to present themselves on camera more so in 2012 than now. I think witl comes across as more genuine overall because of how much more removed from their personas they are in it, and I think it also ties into the fact that witl Dan and Phil are Now Dan and Phil, whereas ditl Dan and Phil are 2012 Dan and Phil so I think it's easier to see them back then as less genuine.
3. Were you in the phandom in 2012? Do you remember if their humor bothered you back then? If not, what do you think of it now?
I wasn't, but even if I was, the humour wouldn't have bothered me back then. I was making the same jokes. Now I can barely take it. It makes me cringe so hard and want to close the video. However, as I said somewhere above, it's nice to see their growth from it.
4. Which moment stood out to you the most - in both videos?
The #bedgate stuff. There's no typical wake up scene in witl, and the only bed bit we get is Dan at 1 am in a very rumpled bed that someone else seemed to have gotten out of. Not a glimpse of the AmazingPhil bed either. ditl on the other hand prominently features the waking up scenes, and in fact established them for how they'd approach starting future ditl videos. They don't even start witl apart. They're like, pressed together at the start of it.

They're also a lot more relaxed in witl. By that I mean the ~fuchsia phone case and Phil saying it's weird for Dan to wish he was a girl so he would wear cool dresses like that vs. Dan wearing that romper and both of them openly talking about male attraction without any dismissal, among other moments.

Oh, and the overall quality. The editing is better, it's not as shaky, they're taking their time to pan over things instead of quickly running over things they want to show us, which is extremely ineffective lol.

User avatar
Ablissa
angel bean
Posts: 1072
Joined: Thu May 05, 2016 5:49 pm
Pronouns: she/her
Location: Poland

Re: IDB Phandom Watch Fest - Phanniversary Edition!

Post by Ablissa » Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:35 pm

Shoutout to all of you that mentioned how interesting it is for them to have "just woken up" with perfectly straightened hair... yeah... I hope that never comes back.
CapriciousCrab wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:17 pm
Dan spends a lot of his time closed off-arms either crossed or close to his body and he just seems a bit tense over all. (...)
Whereas Phil is all swinging arms and big movements like running/jumping about and just goofing off without seeming concerned with how it appears to other people.
I really like this because I haven't thought of it at all and now I'm laughing at Phil's guts when he does all kinds of weird things in public (remember when Dan was doing that planking thing long ago? which video was that?)
Dan does seem more tense in this one, which is interesting, because in the 2014 gaming video we watched last week, it was Phil that seemed to be less comfortable (imo). How would you rate them now in 2018? Equally comfortable, or still one that is more? - everyone feel free to pitch in!
ame wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:49 pm
3:53 - i feel like the negativity around dan's family were so wildly exaggerated over the years when in the first place, he seems to be pretty close w them.
Hmmm I wonder. Dan definitely has a different relationship with the fam than Phil does. I think that his family troubles appear in fanfics quite often (I'm guilty of it myself) and kind of stem from the general feel of how he spoke about them. I agree this is very exaggerated at times though.
ame wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:49 pm
i think the real hot take here is that over the years, they because more comfortable to be with each other in front of us.
I'm going to reply to other posts later to not make this 10 pages long, I encourage you all to read the posts and reply to them! <3 Loving reading these, seriously.

User avatar
LurkingTrash
woodland creature
Posts: 573
Joined: Fri May 13, 2016 3:09 am
Pronouns: She/Her

Re: IDB Phandom Watch Fest - Phanniversary Edition!

Post by LurkingTrash » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:34 am

1. Which video was your favourite out of the two?
WITL, I think we'll rarely get things that I will choose over the 2018 stuff, I just love everything now so much

2. Was there anything you disliked about the 2012 video? What did you like better about it?
I saw some people commenting this already but I agree that the humor at the time is really bad, but then, being on the internet in 2012 it was like this everywhere and I'm guilty of it myself, I'm so glad social movements grew up a lot and a lot of people know better nowadays, especially on the internet.

3. What's your favourite DITL in general and why?
I love WITL with my whole heart but I'll have to agree with most that the Festive DITL if the one I hold most dearly

4. Do you often go back and re-watch their old videos from 2010-2013? What do you think of their humor back then?
I used to so so more often but 2018 brings a whole new level of enjoyment for me that I tent to rewatch newer videos when I want to rewatch something of theirs

5. Why do you think the 2018 DITL has a relatively low viewcount (1.2 mil since April)?
I really don't know because it's so lovely, but I have to agree with what people have been saying about it being a mix of youtube being youtube + the video being about tour, and I'd add to the fact that the phandom, while still loyal and quite big, it's smaller than previous years and more chill.
1. What do you think of their dynamic back in 2012? Were they equals? Were they on the same page?
I think what we see it's less about being in the same page between them but being in the same page with the audience, my impression of the 2012 DITL is that they are comfortable with each other but showing that to both a camera (let's not forget they are trying a new video format, that could bring up some anxiety) and a fandom that is growing at a rate that they most probably didn't expect and are trying to learn how to deal with as they go

2. How much was 'for the camera', how much was just them and their comfort with one another?
I think of the DITL as a genuine video where they are playing things up for 'the camera' so that it makes for a interesting video or either the 'white lies' like the waking up moments that are for drawing lines and self protection, so yeah, a lot for the camera but it doesn't mean it's not genuine.

3. Were you in the phandom in 2012? Do you remember if their humor bothered you back then? If not, what do you think of it now?
No, I got into Dan and Phil in 2013 and only in 2014 I started joining in the phandom, with a few 'vacations' here and there because this fandom can be a lot :lol: But this humor wouldn't have bothered me back then, I also used to say these kind of things because a lot of people didn't know better and that was how most of the internet worked back then, I'm really glad both dnp, me and also a lot of people on the internet are more educated nowadays, these kind of jokes wouldn't land well today and I wouldn't in any way consider myself a fan os someone who is like that nor I would consume their content so I'm really glad that they grew up and learned with the years, just like I did. And while I might cringe hearing these jokes I don't blame them for it and I know this is not who they are anymore.

4. Which moment stood out to you the most - in both videos?
The first time I watched DITL what stood out to me was another thing but this time was them showing things outside their window, they would never - and know better - these days
WITL both the first time I watched and in this watch is the 1am bed thing, so incredible that they are opening up and being more natural without worrying too much about what people will pick out of every moment, it's an amazing feeling.
Replying
hello9217 wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 1:49 pm
I just want to start this off by saying that I think these two videos were a good comparison for early dnp and current dnp. Manchester was a little awkward and some awful "jokes." They really have grown so much and it's nice to see the deppy we have now. Like in the first one they were talking about how purple might be too girly for a phone case and then in the witl dan steps out in a romper and it's just like dan being who he is while still needing that slight reassurance from phil that he does indeed look good. They have grown so much, not only with us but with each other. They know how to communicate better and offer that validity if the other one needs it.
Agree so much, that's basically what mostly I thought of this rewatch, I'm really glad that I've been watching them for as long as I did because I really love where they are right now on all things and I'm really proud too.
CapriciousCrab wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 2:06 pm
5. Why do you think the 2018 DITL has a relatively low viewcount (1.2 mil since April)?
I think it's because once tour started there were so many things to focus on: insta stories, show reviews etc. People just got caught up in following their daily adventures.
That is also something to consider, we get a lot of new content nowadays (how did we survive without gaming videos back then?) even if we get less liveshows we get a lot less time to rewatch things
CapriciousCrab wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:42 pm
1. What do you think of their dynamic back in 2012? Were they equals? Were they on the same page?

I do think they were equals. They still played off of each other like they do now, they were just more awkward about it when they were younger. As far as being on the same page? I think overall they were but it seems like they had differing comfort levels.
Differing comfort levels yes! That's the perfect description for what I felt from the first DITL while the WITL feels like they are more in sync, also it wouldn't surprise me that a lot of it comes with years of experience with each other you learn how better communicate your feeling and where you stand and how to interpret someone else's communication of theirs.
huphilpuffs wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:06 pm
I think after watching the two videos, what stands out most to me is how much more <i>joint</i> the 2018 video feels. Obviously both show them going through a day/week together, but, idk, it feels like there's much more focus on that togetherness in the 2018 video. Like they're always filming each other and talking behind the camera and talking about each other, whereas the 2012 one had quite a few moments where they were just doing their own thing. Which isn't a bad thing by any means. It's just interesting to see how their on-camera interactions with each other have evolved over the course of the last few years. (It also made me notice a few things about WITL that I missed the first time, like matching water bottles).
I don't even have anything of substance to comment on besides 'I agree' and I just wanted to quote this
obsessivelymoody wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:59 pm
1. What do you think of their dynamic back in 2012? Were they equals? Were they on the same page?
I think they were equals, and on the same page. However, I think it can come across as if they aren't because they were definitely still figuring out how to interact with their audience, and how they wanted to appear in their videos. Their audience was also growing pretty quickly, and it was about a year before they hit the big boom in subscribers.
gosh, can you imagine how scary that was for them back then?

I think comfortable is the word of the year 2018 and I love it.

User avatar
CapriciousCrab
spork
Posts: 66
Joined: Tue Jul 04, 2017 6:45 pm
Pronouns: She/her

Re: IDB Phandom Watch Fest - Phanniversary Edition!

Post by CapriciousCrab » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:56 am

Ablissa wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:35 pm
CapriciousCrab wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:17 pm
Dan spends a lot of his time closed off-arms either crossed or close to his body and he just seems a bit tense over all. (...)
Whereas Phil is all swinging arms and big movements like running/jumping about and just goofing off without seeming concerned with how it appears to other people.
I really like this because I haven't thought of it at all and now I'm laughing at Phil's guts when he does all kinds of weird things in public (remember when Dan was doing that planking thing long ago? which video was that?)
Dan does seem more tense in this one, which is interesting, because in the 2014 gaming video we watched last week, it was Phil that seemed to be less comfortable (imo). How would you rate them now in 2018? Equally comfortable, or still one that is more? - everyone feel free to pitch in!
I think the difference between the two videos is the physical distance between them. In the DITL they're across the room from each other and walking around in public spaces. In the gaming video, they're sat side by side. He doesn't really relax, maybe because he's still not sure where the line between acceptable and not acceptable is?
I watch videos of them in 2009/2010 and Phil is such a physical person-nudging, touching, scooting closer to dan, laying his head against him. Contrast that with the early gaming videos where he seems terrified to even make eye contact with Dan, let alone touch him and I dunno, it's just kind of painful to see.

How would you rate them now in 2018? Equally comfortable, or still one that is more?

I think they're equally comfortable but Phil is more confident, if that makes sense? I think they are both on the same page as far as what they want to share, etc but I think Dan worries more about public opinion which makes him seem a bit hesitant at times.

User avatar
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady
Posts: 1903
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:56 pm
Location: The Netherlands

Re: IDB Phandom Watch Fest - Phanniversary Edition!

Post by Catallena » Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:56 am

Arriving fabulously late without Starbucks because I'm poor. :psl:

I'm kinda excited for this first one. It's been a while since I last watched it, but it was one of the first videos I watched with the both of them.
- Aw, the title. When they were still Phil and Dan. It sounds so wrong now.
- CTFxC... 2010-2014 me was so invested in those vlogs, I watched them religiously. But then Charles and Alli divorced and The Website That Shall Not Be Named exposed Charles as a (emotionally) cheating bastard so that ruined those memories forever. Alli is still fab tho.
- Deppy were both scarily casual about potential stalkers, filming the view from their apartment like that.
- Ohhh this brings me back to endless debates about whether Dan's bed looked slept in or not.
- 2012!Dan is really just fetus Dan to me now. He looks so young. Actual baby. A very rude and obnoxious baby sometimes.
- That fucking Cold Beer & Hot Women shirt as well. The no homo is off the charts.
- "I hid it from you cause you eat it." Is this where it started? :lol:
- "We're not a family of TEN Phil!" Iconic quote.
- Nothing changed about their browsing positions, aside from them no longer sitting on separate couches.
- Those damn Totoro plushies. Phil used to do giveaways for those things on YouNow in the early days.
- Nope @ rapist joke. Yay for growing as people!
- "I'm already black." Yikes. Yay for growing as people x2.
- I also hope that Dan does actually wear sunscreen nowadays.
- "I will have an afro." Kinda yikes but also yay that he isn't ashamed of his curls anymore.
- Phil wished for a disaster to happen so that he can get more views. He has really always been Capita£ester.
- Them sounding appalled that some luxury chocolates would cost 70 pounds is hilarious in this day and age. How much were those scented candles again?
- Dan stirring Phil's coffee for him was such a 'AWWWW' thing at the time and now it's just... we're spoiled lol.
- Debating on whether a purple iPhone case is too girly or not. Oh boys... It's okay, in a few years you'll slowly be freed from the clutches of toxic masculinity.
- That ain't fuchsia btw. Why do men not know colors? :roll:
- Dan's slight obsession with Charlie at the time was so cute. He wanted to be liked by his idol so bad.
- So many jokes about twinks eating Twinkies were made.
- "Sometimes I wish I was a girl." "That's a bit weird Dan." It has been debated before here on the forums, but Phil's approach to gender has come so far. I don't think he meant something bad with this at the time, but that it was mostly his own insecurity towards gender roles (hello cordless hammer drill) making him defensive. I sometimes still see people upset about this, and while that's totally valid I do hope that Phil is not this person anymore
- Leg Hole Perverts.
- My friend actually hated Dan for shaking the camera around like that because it genuinely makes her sick.
- Phil sweetie you amateur vlogger, you're blocking the mic.
- Remember how that Shakeaway got so many requests for those milkshakes that they made them into Dan and Phil specials? Their impact!
- "And Phil is in his own little world again." That's still just such a sweet thing for Dan to say. 2012!fondness :love2:
- I don't believe that they were planning on having friends over. It is only mentioned when the plans have already been cancelled, and it's very I Have A Girlfriend But She Lives In -Insert Foreign Country Here- So You Can't Meet Her imo. But then Dan literally mocks us non-believers at the end there :')
- "I felt too awkward to leave without buying anything so I bought a Kinder Egg." "YOU NEED TO STOP DOING THAT!" Domestic bickering in the year 2012? Hell yes. 8-)
- Phil freaking out over Dan ~putting his mouth all over what he's about to eat!!!1~ but Dan just takes a bite from the Twinkie in the same spot Phil did.
- Both shots of them eating the Twinkie look slightly... suggestive.
- Kinder Eggs are the most overrated kind of Kinder chocolate. Kinder Bueno FTW!
- Shout out to The Rules on the keyboard and the handwriting experts on here.
- Lion and Lioness. That's a relic from the past. :lion:
I have rewatched the legendary Week In The Life quite recently and it's just lovely but I also have a lot less to really say about it. But let's try!
- Maybe it's just because the tour focused Week format allowed them to skip the awkward waking up part, but you immediately notice a difference in their behavior and how comfortable they are with each other on camera.
- Dan mumbling through Phil the entire time during the intro makes me laugh. Little shit.
- Cats do not photosynthesize.
- Good Vibes are exactly what I get from this video. :D
- "I've already done enough yoga on you!" sounds great out of context. We should bring that thread back from the dead.
- What's with Dan always sitting like he wants to be drawn like a French girl? Tone it down Howell.
- As cool as the set was, I wouldn't have minded seeing the cellotape version of the show.
- Of course Phil would hurt himself by demonstrating how he could get hurt. I don't expect anything else.
- Deppy trying to make up for all the flying around the world and shit by using water bottles!
- No sir, please button down that shirt. :ribena:
- I'm so excited for the Hello Nips tour!!
- We never got an update on the maple aside from that one Instastory did we? I wonder how she is.
- Just Phil filming his (half) naked bro slice in bed at 1am while the covers on one side look suspiciously messy. :shrug:
- Phil is so considerate, thinking about Dan's scrotum.
- Wig flew. Wig caught on rocket. Wig launched into outer space. Wig in orbit.
- "That meme is so dead." Since when do you care?
- Did anyone ever photoshop a dick onto that? I miss the blog that briefly did shit like that with Dan.
- "Show me that bunussy~~" Talk about dead memes.
- Dan and a piano. Always good content.
- "I can hear myself!" "Finally you'll realize how annoying you are." :rofl:
- Phil giggling when he zaps Dan for a second time. Naughty boy.
- Dan thinks Phil's forehead is WONDERFUL and he's RIGHT!
- The hexagon represents the two of you constantly almost breaking your damn necks while on stage.
- Dan. Sweetie. You need to put sun cream on as well. Skin cancer does not look at how pale you are when it comes for you.
- I like that Dan pauses on his way to retrieve his maybe dead phone to tell the camera that he dropped it.
- Look at them sitting with their strategically placed cereal box in their totally not fake kitchen that definitely didn't have a completely empty fridge with a plant sitting right in front of it.
- Glitter Black would have been so good tbh.
- Dan loves giving the good people of Wikifeet what they want.
- Yeah those glasses... are not a look. Sorry Phil.
- Pink and beautiful huh? Was it a manly pink though? Not like fuchsia. sorry lame i know.
Question time!

Which video was your favourite out of the two?
A Week In The Life is superior, but I enjoyed both videos in their own way. For the time it was released, the first DITL was a wonderful video and it's still somewhat of a nice watch. It just isn't what we're used to anymore. It at least makes me happy about how far we've some and it does have a certain nostalgic factor to see them in Manchester, before the millions of subscribers and followers, before the weekly radio show. Just them trying to make it work as mid-tier YouTubers at best. I'm so proud of all they've achieved. :happytears:

Was there anything you disliked about the 2012 video? What did you like better about it?
The insensitive jokes and comments. It's a good thing those have been left in the past. Something I liked better... The absence of tour stuff. The WITL does actually get less interesting to watch after you've seen the show (aside from that first time where you suddenly get all the references).

What's your favourite DITL in general and why?
The festive one! It's the most spontaneous out of all of them, and it shows. It was truly the best Christmas gift.

Do you often go back and re-watch their old videos from 2010-2013? What do you think of their humor back then?
Not as much as I used to. I dunno why, I rewatch less videos in general which is why I'm so happy that this is a thing. :tu:

Ignoring some of the offensive humor for a bit, I think a lot of Dan's stuff was genuinely funnier back in the day. His newer solo stuff just doesn't do it for me, I make no secret of that. With Phil it was kinda hit or miss, but he didn't cross lines as much as Dan did anyway. But in every other way, things did change for the better.

Why do you think the 2018 DITL has a relatively low viewcount (1.2 mil since April)?
It being tour related is probably a major factor. People avoiding spoilers, people avoiding tour in general...

1What do you think of their dynamic back in 2012? Were they equals? Were they on the same page?
Their dynamic on camera was very... odd. It was obvious that they were two people who obviously cared for each other a lot but tried their absolute best to not let it show. It was frustrating to watch back then, and it's MADDENING now.

And no, they weren't equals imo. When Dan and Phil first met there was a power imbalance (some phannies have gotten mad at me in the past when I mention this but bite me) and while the Fan/Creator dynamic that they had had largely subsided by 2012, it still obviously lingered. Phil had been making videos longer and had more subscribers. If we are to believe the apartment tour, that is the reason he got the room with the en suite bathroom. So apparently that professional inequality did bleed into their personal lives a little bit. Possibly unconsciously. Meanwhile in their personal lives, there was the fact that Phil was an older uni graduate who had already lived on his own the year prior and was at home in his city. Dan was barely an adult and a college dropout (or officially on a break at the time) far away from home. Professionally, he wouldn't overtake Phil in popularity until a few months later. I think after that and with the Dan & Phil duo becoming stronger due to the radio show, the power imbalance faded. But as discussed last week, on camera they didn't start feeling like equals until years later when Phil gained some confidence to put himself out there more. I'd like to believe that happened naturally years prior in their personal and professional behind the scenes lives though. I can't imagine that they did the radio, hosting gigs, TABINOF, TATINOF etc. without being equals :)

I don't think they had a page to be on together tbh. They were still trying to figure out life and stuff on their own, and perhaps not even in a way that included each other. Phil was focusing on trying to pay the bills by only doing YouTube, Dan was taking a year off from uni and also trying fulltime YouTube.

How much was 'for the camera', how much was just them and their comfort with one another?
I don't think that you see a lot of the real Manchester era Dan and Phil in this video. It's all a bit planned. Not just going into town to make the video interesting, but also them buying a Twinkie so that their home footage will have something 'interesting' and they won't have to show anything from their personal home lives.

Were you in the phandom in 2012? Do you remember if their humor bothered you back then? If not, what do you think of it now?
I became a phannie in May 2012. The offensive jokes were never exactly funny to me, but they also didn't bother me that much? I did realize they were offensive but it was just kinda normal at the time? Standard internet culture prior to 2014. Of course, it's a good thing for everyone that they grew older and wiser and changed their content. And most of their audience grew and changed with them including me. :D

Which moment stood out to you the most - in both videos?
Dan saying "and Phil is in his own little world again~" and the domestic bickering over the Kinder Egg stand out the most in the first video, because it's like a little peek into the future. Dan's voice has a hint of that same fondness that we're familiar with now. And since then they've probably discovered dozens more domestic habits of the other, which we then hear about in random gaming videos (like Dan complaining about how messy Phil is at every chance he gets).
Stan is only one letter away from Satan.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
(inventor of capita£ester, will kick people who use it to slander phil)

User avatar
Ablissa
angel bean
Posts: 1072
Joined: Thu May 05, 2016 5:49 pm
Pronouns: she/her
Location: Poland

Re: IDB Phandom Watch Fest - Phanniversary Edition!

Post by Ablissa » Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:20 pm

I love your posts, everyone! Thanks for such an active participation!! <3 I really recommend you all read the above posts and read the timestamps - they're hilarious!!!
I cut the quotes like I'm carving pumpkins, sorry, but it's to save space :D

(while writing this I realized I'm going to put all of the quotes under a cut anyway because this got so long, but I am too tired to go back and fix them, so they remain a mess. sorry!!)
huphilpuffs wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:06 pm
I think after watching the two videos, what stands out most to me is how much more joint the 2018 video feels. Obviously both show them going through a day/week together, but, idk, it feels like there's much more focus on that togetherness in the 2018 video.
(...)
But I love the reminder of where they've come from and where they are now, and seeing those two videos juxtaposed really draws attention to the fact that, even though they've grown, they've also had this life together for a really long time. It makes me really happy for them. <3
Ooh I love that first part. These two videos really highlight that at some point, they made a decision to stop being just Dan and just Phil, and became Dan and Phil, almost a single entity by now. It's very easy to spot now how their focus shifts away from individual content. And the second part - I also love to see how far they've come since their Manchester days. I think it's clear that they are happier both as people and as a couple (of friends, if one is so inclined) these days. (btw your thoughts were lovely and I enjoyed reading them so much!<3)
citizen_erased wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:52 pm
I think they were still figuring themselves out and in that process also how to live together. Obviously I don't know if they still have similar lists lying around, but for some reason I kind of doubt it?
(...) I started watching near the end of 2012, so apparently it didn't bother me back then. Though to be fair, when I first saw videos of them I hated it, it took me a while to get used to them, so maybe I just kind of adjusted.
(...)
Dan films his own crotch and Phil's pyjama-leg is right there without any context/explanation. I love character development.

1. This gives me major feels. I also don't think they need lists anymore. I sometimes wonder if "the rules" were also made up to give them (Dan?) some structure, something to hold them accountable.
2. Oooo this is fascinating! What made you keep on watching? I don't remember my first impression of them anymore, but I think I loved them from the first video.
3. This genuinely made me snort, lol. Dan does have a thing for the crotch area :lol:
obsessivelymoody wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:59 pm
Day in the life:
Also first shot of Dan's ass in this video. I'm surprised we didn't see it earlier considering how out it was for the entirety of 2011-2012
(...)
Week in the life:
-I love them fucking with each other while recording sound
(...)
Questions:
I think witl comes across as more genuine overall because of how much more removed from their personas they are in it, and I think it also ties into the fact that witl Dan and Phil are Now Dan and Phil, whereas ditl Dan and Phil are 2012 Dan and Phil so I think it's easier to see them back then as less genuine.

1. It really was, wasn't it? The boy never pulled his trousers up as much as he should have :lol:
2. I'm sorry but my mind went in an ENTIRELY different direction from what you intended, lmao
3. Both points are interesting and it makes me wonder how much of what we see now is an "evolved persona", and how much is real Dan and Phil. I think we're much closer to the latter by now. Also, I agree that our perception is different now - back then they didn't seem "fake" to me.
LurkingTrash wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:34 am
I think of the DITL as a genuine video where they are playing things up for 'the camera' so that it makes for a interesting video or either the 'white lies' like the waking up moments that are for drawing lines and self protection, so yeah, a lot for the camera but it doesn't mean it's not genuine.
(...)
The first time I watched DITL what stood out to me was another thing but this time was them showing things outside their window, they would never - and know better - these days
I like how you say them playing things up for the camera is not "not genuine". That's an interesting point and I agree. I think this often show in gaming videos too, and people sometimes take it seriously (assuming Dan is rude to Phil etc). I do believe they did this more in the early days though, exaggerating certain behaviors. Or maybe it just feels like that now?
Also 100% agree on them showing things outside their window so clearly... If they did it now, they'd have a horde of fans there within an hour.
Catallena wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 1:56 am
And no, they weren't equals imo. When Dan and Phil first met there was a power imbalance (some phannies have gotten mad at me in the past when I mention this but bite me) and while the Fan/Creator dynamic that they had had largely subsided by 2012, it still obviously lingered. Phil had been making videos longer and had more subscribers. If we are to believe the apartment tour, that is the reason he got the room with the en suite bathroom. So apparently that professional inequality did bleed into their personal lives a little bit. Possibly unconsciously. Meanwhile in their personal lives, there was the fact that Phil was an older uni graduate who had already lived on his own the year prior and was at home in his city. Dan was barely an adult and a college dropout (or officially on a break at the time) far away from home. Professionally, he wouldn't overtake Phil in popularity until a few months later. I think after that and with the Dan & Phil duo becoming stronger due to the radio show, the power imbalance faded. But as discussed last week, on camera they didn't start feeling like equals until years later when Phil gained some confidence to put himself out there more. I'd like to believe that happened naturally years prior in their personal and professional behind the scenes lives though. I can't imagine that they did the radio, hosting gigs, TABINOF, TATINOF etc. without being equals :)
I love your whole post, but still stands out to me a lot because it's not an opinion you often see, and yet it makes so much sense? I had these thoughts myself before. Even though they became friends and obviously had a thing for each other, how long did that "I'm your fan and you're a cool guy from youtube" dynamic really linger? Damn, Dan, living the dream. I love seeing them as complete equals now, both supporting one another fully.
This also makes me think of how this must have shifted when Dan's popularity started to grow faster than Phil's and how they both dealt with it. I think Phil's personality must have made it easier for them to deal with, I know people that would totally blow up in this situation.
I really loved reading your responses in this thread! Thank you again <3 We will discuss the next watch fest in the discussion thread! (of course feel free to keep chatting here if you want to continue the discussion!)

Post Reply