IDB Watch Fest #8 - Drought Edition

Post Reply
User avatar
Ablissa
emo goose
Posts: 1187
Joined: Thu May 05, 2016 5:49 pm
Pronouns: she/her
Location: Poland

IDB Watch Fest #8 - Drought Edition

Post by Ablissa » Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:35 am

Hey everyone!
This is our eighth IDB Phandom Watch Fest, and this time, it's... SAVE US FROM THIS DROUGHT EDITION!
You all picked one video from each channel - AP, DINOF 8-) and DAPG. Let's watch these videos, judge them, enjoy them, make timestamps, notes and get some bants going here!

We're only using IDB , which means everyone will start their video in their own browser. This watch fest will run the whole day - pop in whenever you have the time!

Videos:
1: Trying To Live My Truth
2: HAVING A BLAST - Dan and Phil play: Keep Talking And Nobody Explodes
3: Dan and Phil AND DOGS!

Discuss the differences, make timestamps or notes, list what you like or don't like - just chat! :)

:money: IMPORTANT! :money:
:love1: Make sure you turn off Adblock and watch all the ads!
:love2: If you reply to this thread, try to come up with a question for other people to consider and add it to your post!

Any questions?
Post here or visit our tumblr or twitter! And most importantly, have fun watching!!



User avatar
Ablissa
emo goose
Posts: 1187
Joined: Thu May 05, 2016 5:49 pm
Pronouns: she/her
Location: Poland

Re: IDB Watch Fest #8 - Drought Edition

Post by Ablissa » Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:42 am

Questions to consider - add your own!
(you can pick and choose, you don't have to answer them all)
1. What do you think was Dan's message in Trying To Live My Truth?
2. What did you think of the fandom's response to Trying To Live My Truth?

3. Did you enjoy Keep Talking And Nobody Explodes, or did it stress you out?
4. What impressed you the most when it comes to their cooperation?

5. Be honest. Do you really think they'll get a dog?
6. Favorite moment out of the dog video?

User avatar
Ataraxia25
janice from the shop
Posts: 531
Joined: Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:31 pm
Pronouns: she/her
Location: france

Re: IDB Watch Fest #8 - Drought Edition

Post by Ataraxia25 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:06 am

So "Trying to live my truth" first

Wow first, this video makes me so uncomfortable. I guess it's because
1) dinof is not my fav content
2) It's one of those videos that seem to be very important for Dan and I feel like you can feel this "pressure"
3) After Dan's joke and him backtracking, it kinda leaves a sour taste in my mouth! haha

It's literally 13 SECONDS in and I have this sensation that Dan is not made for this anymore. My opinion may be influenced by the current situation but I feel like the heart is not in it and that he makes (i mean made) videos because it is his job but i feel like it's not the best place for him to grow, as we know he's always growing and changing! Dunno, it's just a thought i just had. I feel like "being a youtuber" is this small space that is too small for Dan who needs a big open space to explore all his possibilities!

Also what "bothers" me is that in this video, Dan talks about what makes him feel bad and it's kinda triggering for me, because i'm not feeling well and i don't want to see/hear other people trying to work on themselves and on the whole, this video just gives me a lot of anxiety you see ? (Also because Dan reminds us things that are not happy, like : "you don't have long on this planet" Well shut up Danny some people are trying to forget okay! haha
Also, the whole perpective of "finding true happiness" is something i don't understand because i don't think it's possible to find true happiness, so it put an even greater distance between me and the video.
In the same way, i don't really understand the concept of "living your truth" so this video is the kind i don't understand. BUT that's not at all because of Dan, it's just me, my perspective!

The "Laughter, food and sex" always makes me smile so much. I'm gonna say something that may sound weird but hearing Dan saying having sex (with Phil) makes him happy makes me soft. Like, of course it makes him happy but.... it. makes. him. happy. you know ? :happytears:

But I find it interesting that he so openly talked about sex, to me i feel like it's so different from making innuendos, because this time it was in a video which theme was to be true. I guess it was a way to test the waters for maybe future references ?

Anyway, this video just makes me uneasy and uncomfortable but it's not dan's fault, it's my own issues being thrown into the mix! :)

1. What do you think was Dan's message in Trying To Live My Truth?
2. What did you think of the fandom's response to Trying To Live My Truth?


1. If I only knew! No i think i get it (a bit) but for me, this video is more for him than for us. What i mean is that when the video came out, it was a period of personal reflection for him which led him to some personal conclusions and he made the video because he thought that could be an example for us to follow, a way to help us to! It's like : " i did that, seems to be a good idea, i recommend"
But tbh, I don't understand Dan on a deep emotional level like other people do.

2. Concerning the fandom's reaction, i get why that happened, Dan is known for backtracking and it is very frustrating.

Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes!

I actually watched this series last week so i didn't watch it again but i just love it. First it was one of the first videos i've watched of them, my best friend asked if i wanted to watch dan and phil's new video with her, and i said yes and i remember laughing so much. I still laugh a lot watching it. The game is amazing, it's so original and it's perfect for their dynamic! There are so many bants and they seem so happy to play it! It's just so wholesome and I could watch it over and over again!

3. Did you enjoy Keep Talking And Nobody Explodes, or did it stress you out?
4. What impressed you the most when it comes to their cooperation?


3. Strangely it doesn't stress me out! I mean it must have stressed me out the first time I watched it but in a good way! Now i'm never stressed when i watch it because i know how it ends.

4. I'm impressed that they can communicate so easily (maybe because i'm bad at communicating) but also : HOW DONT THEY GET MAD AT EACH OTHER? i know they get mad at each other in their daily lives, especially during games but for this specific type of game, i think it's very impressive! Maybe because it's not a traditional game (Not like Crash Bandicoot, etc) they are aware that they don't know if they can make it, so less pressure.

Dan and Phil and Dogs

Ugh... the hair! Imagine this video with Phil's quiff?
First, Martyn got this idea, Martyn is the mvp, Martyn is our king.

1:22 : Am i the only one thinking Dan looks very tired ? but not in a "i woke up early" kind of way
1:40 : the innuendoes!
2:14 : dan's skin is beautiful!
5:37 : i always laugh out loud at phil's joke!

This whole video makes me smile so much! It's perfect. We have happy dnp, dog content and bants. You can't beat that.
I just love when they do little vlog things like this. (but only when it's on their terms and they are confortable doing it, because it changes the whole video otherwise). I don't have much to say, i'm literally smiling too much.

5. Be honest. Do you really think they'll get a dog?
6. Favorite moment out of the dog video?
5. At first, i was convinced. But then there was dan's comment, how the dog is just a way to fill the void inside. And Now Phil is saying : i can't even take care of myself / my plants. But i don't know if it really means that they don't want a dog, maybe it's just that they don't want US to keep talking about it.

6. LOLA THE POMORENIAN <3



But from watching these videos, but mostly dan's, i want to ask: Do you think they have outgrown the youtube era, especially Dan? Should they (or just Dan) start working in other field, and what fields?
I just feel personally that this is a crossroads and i don't want them to pursue in the path of youtube because they think that this is what we want (when we can totally say that they have no freaking idea of what we want).
<3 <3 <3

User avatar
glitterintheair
moon room
Posts: 435
Joined: Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:56 am
Pronouns: she/her
Location: Italy
Contact:

Re: IDB Watch Fest #8 - Drought Edition

Post by glitterintheair » Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:38 pm

Dan and Phil and Dogs

See, I rewatched this and now I want to cry a little because I really miss them. Like, I miss them together in the same video, please boys come back soon. :snow:
Anyway, this video is just so pure. They clearly love dogs so much and they seem so happy. Also, I really love when they vlog, it's the kind of content I'd love to see more of and it makes me feel more connected to them, in a way.
Ablissa wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:42 am
5. Be honest. Do you really think they'll get a dog?
6. Favorite moment out of the dog video?
I think they will. They dogbait way too hard, it will happen. I guess they keep downplaying the whole thing, saying that they can't look after themselves etc. etc. just because they don't want people to focus too much on it; basically they don't want the prospect of getting a dog to become something people would turn into a big deal (too late for that, imo, but whatevs).

One of my favourite things is Dan choosing the concept of him and Phil chilling on a sofa with their laptops and the dog for his birthday month. It's just very cute, you know? And so telling.


Keep Talking And Nobody Explodes

I love this series so much, it's one of their best ones and I'm sad that they didn't play it more. I love the game itself and dnp playing it was absolutely delightful.
Ablissa wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:42 am
3. Did you enjoy Keep Talking And Nobody Explodes, or did it stress you out?
4. What impressed you the most when it comes to their cooperation?
It didn't stress me out at all! I'm not sure why, because I'm someone who gets stressed easily, lmao. Maybe because I find the game really enjoyable so I guess that diminished my stress? I don't know, science explain.

What impressed me is how well they work together as a team. After watching their gameplay, I got curious and watched other gamers play this game and I can say that dnp really did good compared to the others. You can just tell they are two people who know each other very well and are used to work together. And they know that too, since they kept bragging about it in the video (and in general).

Trying To Live My Truth

I left this for last for a reason. I have a complicated relationship with this video and all the things that happened afterwards and honestly I always hear the Kill Bill siren whenever this video gets mentioned or discussed.
I am not the biggest fan of Dan's solo content and one of the reasons is because of videos like TTLMT. I think that Dan felt the pressure to upload something and he did, but he clearly wasn't ready for it. He wanted to repeat the success of Daniel and Depression but didn't quite manage to do so.
Daniel and Depression was raw, it felt genuine and got straight to the point, there was no room for any other interpretations. TTLMT felt the exact opposite to me - I found it vague, rambly and the message Dan tried to send got lost somewhere in the video. That's why I can't blame anyone who focused more on the 'phallic jokes' ; that was what stood out the most in the video and Dan openly talking about sex on his main channel was something new (I still stand by the point that those infamous 'jokes' were deliberately meant to be intepreted as jokes about penises, because there's no way in hell that Dan or Phil didn't realize what those sentences would sound like and that people would focus on those words more than anything else). I know Dan didn't like the fact the people focused more on that, but maybe he should've stopped a second to think about why that happened. Maybe he should understand that if he wants to make more personal videos, he needs to be more transparent - he always says that he struggles with being vulnerable and I think that's one of the reasons why being honest and straightfoward is not easy for him. Unfortunately, that leads to videos where he rambles on and on, demanding that we will understand what he says, as if we can read his mind.

Ataraxia25 wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:06 am
But from watching these videos, but mostly dan's, i want to ask: Do you think they have outgrown the youtube era, especially Dan? Should they (or just Dan) start working in other field, and what fields?
I just feel personally that this is a crossroads and i don't want them to pursue in the path of youtube because they think that this is what we want (when we can totally say that they have no freaking idea of what we want).
First of all, standing ovation for the bold part.
Second of all - I think Phil still enjoys being a youtuber and I don't necessarily think that Dan has outgrown the youtube era but I feel like he sees his youtube channel as more of a job he needs to take seriously than something fun for entertainment, that's I wish he would understand that one thing doesn't have to exclude the other.


My Questions:
Do you think they will do more vlogs in the future? Why?
They tend to downplay the whole 'getting a dog' thing, except for once, when Dan very candidly talked about Phil wanting a corgi and telling us to brace ourselves for that. Why do you think that was the only instance of that?
Do you think that the reception of TTLMT - or better, the reaction to the liveshow after that - was a wake up call for Dan, to make him reflect more on his content and what he really wants to do and how?
I'm a winter flower underground, always thirsty for summer rain.

User avatar
Ablissa
emo goose
Posts: 1187
Joined: Thu May 05, 2016 5:49 pm
Pronouns: she/her
Location: Poland

Re: IDB Watch Fest #8 - Drought Edition

Post by Ablissa » Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:57 pm

I love both your posts, @glitterintheair and @Ataraxia25! Thank you for still watching TTLMT even though it makes you uncomfortable! You offer a different perspective and I love that.

Quoting your awesome questions for better visibility and for others to use (everyone, feel free to engage in the discussion, talk between each other too. It would be great to get a conversation going here!)
From @Ataraxia25
Do you think they have outgrown the youtube era, especially Dan? Should they (or just Dan) start working in other field, and what fields?

From @glitterintheair
1. Do you think they will do more vlogs in the future? Why?
2. They tend to downplay the whole 'getting a dog' thing, except for once, when Dan very candidly talked about Phil wanting a corgi and telling us to brace ourselves for that. Why do you think that was the only instance of that?
3. Do you think that the reception of TTLMT - or better, the reaction to the liveshow after that - was a wake up call for Dan, to make him reflect more on his content and what he really wants to do and how?

Mia
smol bean
Posts: 8
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:28 pm

Re: IDB Watch Fest #8 - Drought Edition

Post by Mia » Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:26 pm

Great thread!

TTLMT
I agree with@Ataraxia25 that it felt like an attempt to get the same support for this video as got for the depression video.

I felt the content was rushed and there were a few video ideas mushed together. The messages on social pressure, not knowing what to do, mental health and sex/sexuality could all have been individual videos.

The sex comment...I'm glad for Dan talking about sex and I am all for it. Sex needs to be talked about. I think the phandom should see it as just a comment about sex and not an indication into their personal relationships. In my opinion, the comment could be about anyone. If they're together, they will share it if they wish. I do worry that the phandom might get hurt if they're not together.

Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes:
I forgot these videos existed!! I've not watched all DAPG content-not watched the scariest Halloween ones and not seen Undertale series (thought the videos looked too long but have told myself I will watch them one day). Very enjoyable, not that stressful. I find the impossible quiz more stressful to watch.

Dan and Phil and Dogs :
I just love this video so much. It's so happy and wholesome and nice. The dogs are just so adorable. There is good jokes. I've watched it so much.

@glitterintheair
I feel they downplay getting a dog as I don't see them getting a dog due to the commitment of it. A flat is easier as can move out if needed to move on. Having a dog means bonding and attachment to the dog. I guess if they work out their future, I can see them getting one but I don't think it will be for a while.

In terms of their future, I have always seen Phil go on to be a director or writer once he's done with youtube. I can see Dan being an author or mental health activist. Both out of the limelight but still providing us with content.

User avatar
glitterintheair
moon room
Posts: 435
Joined: Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:56 am
Pronouns: she/her
Location: Italy
Contact:

Re: IDB Watch Fest #8 - Drought Edition

Post by glitterintheair » Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:41 pm

Mia wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:26 pm

@glitterintheair
I feel they downplay getting a dog as I don't see them getting a dog due to the commitment of it. A flat is easier as can move out if needed to move on. Having a dog means bonding and attachment to the dog. I guess if they work out their future, I can see them getting one but I don't think it will be for a while.
Oh I don't think it's gonna happen anytime soon either, but I do think that eventually, once a house is bought and they feel ready for it, a dog will be inevitable.
I'm a winter flower underground, always thirsty for summer rain.

User avatar
Ablissa
emo goose
Posts: 1187
Joined: Thu May 05, 2016 5:49 pm
Pronouns: she/her
Location: Poland

Re: IDB Watch Fest #8 - Drought Edition

Post by Ablissa » Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:59 pm

I'm doing this particular watch fest in parts, because my own dog is going crazy :lol:
I started with Trying To Live My Truth, and while I'm not uncomfortable or affected by it, I can understand why some people were. I do think that the response to this video may have played a big part in Dan taking a break from youtube. I think he expected people to relate to him more, to understand his message (I kind of did, but it is very vague and a bit preachy), but his "crazed" fanbase put more emphasis on the sex related stuff, which really shouldn't be a surprise to him. It was still a bit of a bombshell to drop, and one would have to try HARD to interpret it without including Phil.

I do wish the reaction had been different though, and I wish he didn't feel like he had to backtrack on this video later. That is what made me feel bad - not the video itself, but what followed.

I made timestamps that will serve as my commentary, and I will come back later for the other two + replies to your posts.
TTLMT

0:05 – I've almost forgotten how long it's been since we had an actual Dan video, and now I miss him even more.
0:19 - I love that Phil actually took this weird photo of Dan, and again I am left thinking if he really does like to lie down on the floor, or it's all for comedy effect. (am I the only one and I'm stupid to even consider that he might do it? lol)
1:01 - "Trying to find a sustainable feeling of content *right now*, so I feel happy in the present." – I think I'm starting to understand why people were confused by this video. He didn't exactly make his message clear, and even though I'm only one minute in, he's already touched on a few broader subjects.

1:06 - "climbing a mountain in Peru" – why does this remind me of Adrian :D
1:36 - and we are told the theme of the video – that living your truth is the only way to find happiness. I mean, I understand that. let's see what's next

1:44 - This shirt looks greaaat on him, as does the hair
2:10 - This is something I always liked about Dan's vids, the sketchy bits where he plays different roles
2:12 - "but as we get older, society pressures us to conform" – and Phil is throwing stuff at a happy Dan :lol: sadly, this is relatable

2:33 - The "sad nerd" poster is actually good lmao
2:49 - I'm reminded of Adrian again here. Dan talks about how if you don't like the things that happened to you (and they don't define you), you have to throw them in the trash and write them yourself. Which, yeah, fair enough, but... it's really not that simple and he does come off as a bit preachy here.

3:10 - "You are not gonna be happy until you live your truth"
:snowflake: Yes, it's kind of true BUT a lot of us will never fully live our truth, so while I understand what he's saying, it's depressing instead of inspirational for a lot of people, I suppose.
:snowflake: I've forgotten how expressive Dan is. I like just watching him talk

3:27 - I think I'm starting to understand the problem. He's telling the audience what to do, as opposed to sharing some of his thoughts/experiences in relation to himself – which is how he started the video
3:50 - "Don't go through life just being somebody that people like – be yourself" – I actually like this, because it makes me think how Dan must have made that choice at some point too. He's definitely more at peace with himself now, the act dropped a lot. It was a risky choice, but he and Phil both made it, and it definitely took some consideration.

4:10 - "Half the time, I don't know who I am or what I want" – this solidifies my thought that when he said something along the same vein in the mukbang, he was 100% honest/serious.
4:55 - "What makes me happy in the present? (...) Laughter, food and sex." – I mean, there is no other way to take this (combined with the 'stuff coming in and out of my mouth' thing) and I wish he hadn't backtracked. It's such a nice mention of sex, and I don't mean in relation to Phil (which obviously it was), just in general. Dan is VERY MUCH an adult and I love seeing something more mature like this on his channel.

5:34 - I remember some people saying this is his coming out video, and while I don't fully agree, I think it's one of them and as close as we'll ever get. There is a message here that takes some digging, but it's there – that Dan wants to be himself, unashamedly, and that also includes his sexuality.

6:00 - "It is scary, but if any of you feel something isn't right, ask yourself – are you living your truth?" – again, it';s a nice message and he is right on some level, BUT. As a person still very much affected by depression, anxiety and OCD, it's really not that simple. And living your truth may mean a lot of things for different people – which Dan acknowledged – and not all those truths are attainable. It would be good to soften the message here, Dan.

6:29 - "laugh at a joke with a chocolate bar and... something else in my mouth" – yeah, the backtracking really made no sense if you take into consideration what he's saying here

User avatar
lesterchuu
philussy
Posts: 485
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:42 pm
Pronouns: he/she/they
Location: canada

Re: IDB Watch Fest #8 - Drought Edition

Post by lesterchuu » Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:02 pm

this took me two hours but hyellow lads..

trying to live my truth:
0:05 - same
0:50 - not gunna lie, this made me chuckle a bit mostly because this is what i go through probably once or twice a week where id be doing very productive things do small achievments like folding my laundry yet feel empty inside. so yeah, very relatable.
1:56 - i love how the cherry falls right when the high note sounds yet he completely cuts it offto the next scene. love a good editor.
2:12 - just reminding myself that phil was the stand-in daddy slapping away the controler and the hat in this scene.
2:32 - "Sad Nerd Can't Make Up His Mind And Complains A Lot" id watch this netlix show, also if meryl streep is playing dan, does that mean timothee is phil? hmmm
3:43 - yeah boi, truth hurts
4:07 - "the problem for me personally is that, half the time, i dont know who i am or what i want" #same
4:33 - my three brain cells arguing at 2am in the morning
4:50 - i remember watching this video the first time and seeing this part and just going "huh, wow. cant believe hed acknowledge it on a video but good for him" then proceeding to make a sappy tweet about how i support him living his truth.
1. What do you think was Dan's message in Trying To Live My Truth?

ive always loved the message he was sharing in this video and i know for myself how hard it is to do that. im turning 25 this year and i dont even know who or what i am. my life is stale, my friends are busy, my interests and passions are starting to feel like a lit matchstick that had been doused with water. bit by bit, ive started to take control of my life by being a little bit more selfish than i usually am simply because i push myself to be well liked by others, sometimes starting unhealthy habits, by default. trying to be more assertive and not letting other people treat me like a doormat - yet, still having the grace to know that im not always right and that there is merit in listening to others opinions...is hard. balancing what others want vs what i want is.....hard. you cant always please everybody, including yourself, and it only leaves you in a downward spiral. so to find the perfect balance takes time and lots of trail and error.

bottom line is, im scared. so watching this again brings me some comfort.

2. What did you think of the fandom's response to Trying To Live My Truth?

rewatching this video just made me remind myself how much i loved it. yeah, there was so much chaos and controversy when it came out but honestly, i was one of the people who were mildly disappointed in the people who only took the alluded "dick" parts and emphasized it - the entire video wasnt ONLY about that at all. a lot of people either missed the main message or simply ignored it and i cant blame dan for acting the way he did in the liveshow after that because wont you also be upset when youve poured your all into something yet people just focused on one tiny corner of it?

having a blast:
0:22 -"that is so inappropriate" yeah sure, whatever you say lester
0:28 - "its wet like...him.....moving on" i love the things that come out of his mouth
0:33 - p: "Do Not-....whats it called?" d: (laughs) only professional youtubers in this house, people
1:25 - p: "i think were gunna be terrible at this, i crack under pressure all the time..." d: "uh huh" p: "...and im generally bad at things" d: "and we tend to let out banter get out of control and distract us" so.......this is 99% of what dapg videos are
1:40 - d: "but then you know, we..we do those puzzle...like puzzle rooms in real life for birthdays and stuff. were pretty good at those" wait. hold up. i want this content. pls.
2:44 - dan stares at phil: "dad................playing halo with me. dont look at my screen"
4:47 - ok i was actually mildly frustrated here cz if only dan let phil describe the colours of the wires FIRST instead of him having to go through all the options, they couldve saved some time there
5:40 - i love how they just....GET each other
7:50 - p: "1 minute 17" d: "SHUT UP" i love it
11:19 - p: "ohmygod, its hurting my brain so much" me when i do simple math
11:46 - d: "this is the most stressed ive ever been" not gunna lie, dan is pretty good at acting calm under pressure
11:50 - d: "(lol) STOP FREAKING OUT!" p: "IM FREAKING OUT!"
13:49 - nice to see character development. they finally start by describing the entire thing first so they know which ones to do, rather than going through all the instructions one by one. (yeah i know they ddnt know how to play the game but now they do lol)
17:21 - dont mind me casually leaning into my man as we try to diffuse this bomb - dan, probably
18:47 - PLOT TWIST!
3. Did you enjoy Keep Talking And Nobody Explodes, or did it stress you out?

YES! as someone who loves puzzle games, it stressed me out when they were first learning the game. if only my throat wasnt hurting, i wouldve been yelling at my screen but it was all good because they got it on the third try.

remember kids, when playing cooperation based puzzle games, either builds a fun, healthy relationship dynamic....or leads to divorce /s

4. What impressed you the most when it comes to their cooperation?

i love the fact that dan just gets the random descriptions that phil makes. like, half of the time i had to stare at it and go, "what the fuck phil". but also, i can see the dynamic between the two of them when it comes to stressful situations play out.

dan is really good at acting calm under pressure, meanwhile phil does not. he stutters and obsessed over the clock, which only makes him worse. at the same time, phil is really good at working at what he has at hand and actively does things to help rather than passively waiting for dan - who, on the other hand, takes it less seriously than phil. in this video, he was intentionally pushing phils buttons, but in his "nearly blinded myself" video as an example, dan downplays the injury to the point of making it worse while phil was actively trying to find ways to help him.

i think they fill each others gaps nicely and theyre able to work on whatever the other lacks.

dan and phil and DOGS:
0:22 - everybody say, thank you martyn
0:45 - gotta love family photos
1:20 - phil in that jacket tho....amen
1:43 - p: "what pokes out of that hole?" d: "..."
1:50 - sure...an "Accident"....yup
4:06 - if you pause the video at this exact moment, youll see an angel laughing on the screen
5:50 - iconic.
8:18 - thanks for the zoom, dan
8:37 - as much as i love dan in oversized sweaters, he also looks really good in tight shirts...
10:36 - #freephilsforehead
5. Be honest. Do you really think they'll get a dog?

yes. yes they will. maybe not right now, but i wholeheartedly believe that they WILL get a pupper at some point in their future together.

6. Favorite moment out of the dog video?

short answer? every part where a dog appears. im a simple man.
ok long answer? still every part where a dog appears, but also every time phil makes an innuendo and dan makes that face, or when lola falls asleep on dan and phil immediately says that its because hes warm. or when they freak out of the dogs being so cute. or just the fact that theyre just having fun hanging out with dogs. like, they ask us why we want them to get a dog, this is why. because dogs gave them laughter and we like seeing them happy. but of course, i know it takes responsibility to take care of another living being, so they can do it when theyre ready.
Image
"you are next to me in my life"

User avatar
Ablissa
emo goose
Posts: 1187
Joined: Thu May 05, 2016 5:49 pm
Pronouns: she/her
Location: Poland

Re: IDB Watch Fest #8 - Drought Edition

Post by Ablissa » Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:38 pm

This thread is a bit slow, so I just want to say - you don't have to watch all the videos! Just post one line about one video if you feel like it. <3

I went and watched the other two vids, and both have been a delight. However, this watch fest had the opposite effect on me - instead of making me feel better about the drought, I now just miss them more. :|

Bomb game
So so good. Peak DAPG content. Dan's hair is bad-ish, Phil's is even worse. I love this type of game where you can truly appreciate how well they cooperate, AND they are fully into it. Just amazing, really.
0:01 - Wow, the hair is something else. I much prefer a different kind of curls on Dan
1:40ish - "We did those puzzle rooms in real life" – petition for a Dan and Phil Escape Room DITL
2:55 - They suggest doing the whole video with Phil hidden underneath a blanket to avoid cheating. Dan's smile is v cute and I'm pleased

3:39 - "I'm terrible under pressure" – Phil confirms what we all already know, especially thanks to Overcooked.
3:55 – Phil moves Dan away and it's cute. I'm easy to please
5:00 - The cooperation starts, and it's simultaneously terrible and amazing. They really do have some sort of a link where they understand each other even if it makes no sense.

5:58 – Phil is super into it, Dan is laughing for real, and I'm again, easy to please.
6:53 - "There's a big red button" – "Is it blue?" Yes Dan, it's definitely blue. Later on he asks if it's yellow or blue again. Good listening skills :ribena:
8:25 Phil does his cute thing where he hits Dan's shoulders, and he's super excited and I am too, and they should play this more. And I miss dapg.
9:00 – They sit in the wrong order. It almost feels like they're doing some sort of swap effect, but their hair shows that they're not.
10:07 - Phil's "yeah yeah yeah. Yes." is so adorable
11:55 - More discussion about the color of the button. Phil is freaking out big time.

12:30 - celebratory high-five. They really do cooperate well.
12:43 – I'm thirdwheeling again. Don't mind me, guys. Keep staring at each other. "I was sassing you, and there you were... eady to hit us with the knowledge Phil. Go you."

13:08 – "No, this is our job now. We have to help the people of the world and... diffuse their bombs." lmao
13:45 – Phil takes charge and explains what's up. Immediately their cooperation is less messy, but Dan has to pause to laugh every now and then.

14:47 – Dan's face is making me feel all warm and fuzzy :')
17:00 – They're arguing about the symbols, and although I barely understand what they mean, they somehow understand each other. No surprise.
17:40 – thank fuck I wasn't wearing headphones lmao
18:08 – They are Fully into this game and I love every moment of it.
19:28 – "Oh I'm sorry, were you expecting bombs exploding there front and center? 'cause what you just saw were two nerds who grew up playing puzzle games, who have a psychic connection, 'cause they have no other friends."
:undertaledog: Dogs :undertaledog:
I mean, I'm a dog lover. I also love cats, but I'm allergic to cats, so I've had dogs all my life. Even without Dan and Phil, this is premium content to me.
The ONLY thing that ruins this video for me is Phil's hair. I'm sorry. It's only good during the artsy shoot where he pushes it up.
And... I want a new DITL. :(
Now that Phil has a quiff, I've forgotten how jarring it was when Dan's hair was beautiful and Phil's was horrible.

0:50 – "We were inspired by like, awkward family photos" – I love when they refer to themselves as family even in a small way.
1:23 - Why is Phil wearing a jacket and Dan is just wearing that jumper. It looks cold :(
1:45 – "What pokes out of that hole?" Phil Lester, King of Comedy

1:50 – I don't want to believe that the dad balloons were an accident. I want them to be a not-accident.
2:00 ish – Phil's fond look when he's having his makeup done is everything.
2:53 - I'm loving these moodboards for the different photoshoots. Who do you think made them?
3:21 - "Shmasda" – Dan has terrifying flashbacks to his old job. I can relate.

3:44 – Dan has the biggest smile while holding the Chihuahua, and he says his signature, "Hello there." I just love how he says hello to everything he considers cute, from pets, wild animals to babies.
4:23 – The Shibe doesn't look too happy. I, on the other hand, am super happy because this photo makes all my dreams come alive.
5:20 – "I want to physically eat you"

5:22 – the February calendar was SUCH A LOOK FOR THEM. My calendar is on February still.
5:40 – "Hey, are you oxygen? 'cause... you keep me alive." – wow Phil, I'm speechless
7:00 – Dan is the epitome of a tired spouse, who's had to put up with his husband's bad dad jokes for the whole day (as well as for the past 8 years)
7:10 – "Style. Either you have it or you don't." – "You don't." 💥 SAVAGE 💥

8:20 – Mandatory zoom in on Phil's butt. Dan has Priorities.
8:39 – Dan makes it clear what 'hot dog' makes him think of.
9:06 – THE DOXIE HAS THE ZOOMIES AND I LOVE HIM ENDLESSLY
10:16 – "so the concept is literally us, a French bulldog, and just browsing on our laptops" – I'm soft
10:20 – PHIL HAS THE QUIFF

User avatar
lesterchuu
philussy
Posts: 485
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:42 pm
Pronouns: he/she/they
Location: canada

Re: IDB Watch Fest #8 - Drought Edition

Post by lesterchuu » Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:44 pm

whew, ddnt think my reply to this one was gunna be long
tldr; i liked the video but you guys made good, valid points.
Ataraxia25 wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:06 am
Also what "bothers" me is that in this video, Dan talks about what makes him feel bad and it's kinda triggering for me, because i'm not feeling well and i don't want to see/hear other people trying to work on themselves and on the whole, this video just gives me a lot of anxiety you see ? (Also because Dan reminds us things that are not happy, like : "you don't have long on this planet" Well shut up Danny some people are trying to forget okay! haha
Also, the whole perpective of "finding true happiness" is something i don't understand because i don't think it's possible to find true happiness, so it put an even greater distance between me and the video.
In the same way, i don't really understand the concept of "living your truth" so this video is the kind i don't understand. BUT that's not at all because of Dan, it's just me, my perspective!
i love that different people can have different impressions over the same video. everyones comment about how it made them uncomfortable (but im just choosing to quote yours cz its the first one hope you dont mind) is very interesting to me because when i first watched it and even until now, i felt completely the opposite of what you all felt so reading it from your guys lens gives me another perspective. im not going to preach what i think yall shouldve thought because thats kind of insensitive, and i do acknowledge that everyones life experiences and the way youve interpreted it are different than mine and vice versa. still, i want to elaborate on my thinking process.

(ps. im gunna put it under spoiler so anyone can choose whether they wanna read it or not)
reminding myself of my own scars and open wounds instead of hiding it, gives me some sort of catharsis. all my pent up anger and negativity is just going to seep out at some point, so ive since learned to practice verbally letting people know when im upset as it happens, so that it doesnt build up into a surprise explosion (which it did). sometimes its easier to close my eyes and look away, but i acknowledge that i need that harsh truth before i can learn to cherish and appreciate my own happiness.

but what is true happiness anyway? its different for each person. there is no point trying to ask other people what true happiness is because only you can know what your own happiness is. whenever the babies at work naturally crawl over to me and give me cuddles on their own whenever im sat down on the floor without me having to call to them, thats one of the few moments that i feel happy and appreciated. but this never wouldve happened if i never pushed myself out of my comfort zone and jumped into a career full of things i am frightened of - having to talk to people and building good rapport as well as being self-sufficient and being able to take on huge responsibility of taking care of another life.

to me, true happiness isnt a happy ending, its a constant battle of facing my fears and appreciating the little bit that make me happy in between.
glitterintheair wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:38 pm
That's why I can't blame anyone who focused more on the 'phallic jokes' ; that was what stood out the most in the video and Dan openly talking about sex on his main channel was something new[...] I know Dan didn't like the fact the people focused more on that, but maybe he should've stopped a second to think about why that happened. Maybe he should understand that if he wants to make more personal videos, he needs to be more transparent - he always says that he struggles with being vulnerable and I think that's one of the reasons why being honest and straightfoward is not easy for him. Unfortunately, that leads to videos where he rambles on and on, demanding that we will understand what he says, as if we can read his mind.
this is a good point. we all know rambling and being indecisive is dans weak point - heck he even points it out on this video, but also he is taking baby steps. he made the effort to try and communicate his thoughts in this video, albeit not effectively and when all people took out from it was the one little joke at the end, dan from the past probably panicked and felt disappointed...personally, ive first watched this video right before i decided to come back into the phandom after about 3~4 years, so i had no outside influences nor was i aware of any of the "then" current fandom knowledge and what i got from the video was him telling us his process of trying to find something to live for, followed by my pride for him over the fact that dan had actually felt more comfortable to openly share his sexuality to his audience. so when i found out about the drama after, i was also disappointed.

although, is much as that chaos frustrated me, i think it was a good thing for dan because...
glitterintheair wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:38 pm
Do you think that the reception of TTLMT - or better, the reaction to the liveshow after that - was a wake up call for Dan, to make him reflect more on his content and what he really wants to do and how?
i think it IS a wake up call for him. if he had released this video now, everyone wouldve just went "cool, another penis reference", but also current dan wouldve just laughed it off and made his "yeah, so what?" face at us. at least to me, it felt like he started loosening up a bit more after that fiasco and hence him taking a long hiatus to really think about what he want to do with his channel. we might not like it or we might love it, who knows, only the future can tell.
Mia wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:26 pm
I felt the content was rushed and there were a few video ideas mushed together. The messages on social pressure, not knowing what to do, mental health and sex/sexuality could all have been individual videos.
and
Ablissa wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:59 pm
3:27 - I think I'm starting to understand the problem. He's telling the audience what to do, as opposed to sharing some of his thoughts/experiences in relation to himself – which is how he started the video

3:50 - "Don't go through life just being somebody that people like – be yourself" – I actually like this, because it makes me think how Dan must have made that choice at some point too. He's definitely more at peace with himself now, the act dropped a lot. It was a risky choice, but he and Phil both made it, and it definitely took some consideration.

6:00 - "It is scary, but if any of you feel something isn't right, ask yourself – are you living your truth?" – again, it';s a nice message and he is right on some level, BUT. As a person still very much affected by depression, anxiety and OCD, it's really not that simple. And living your truth may mean a lot of things for different people – which Dan acknowledged – and not all those truths are attainable. It would be good to soften the message here, Dan.
reading everyones responses makes me inclined to agree. it still didnt change the fact that the video itself resonated to me, but also i acknowledge that it was lacking here and there. makes me wonder, if only he had held back and did this video for 2019 instead and focused on one thing - then we wouldve gotten a veeeeery different video.
Image
"you are next to me in my life"

User avatar
Ablissa
emo goose
Posts: 1187
Joined: Thu May 05, 2016 5:49 pm
Pronouns: she/her
Location: Poland

Re: IDB Watch Fest #8 - Drought Edition

Post by Ablissa » Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:06 am

I'm loooving the discussion about these videos, especially Dan's Trying To Live My Truth, so this is what I will focus on in this post (we all seem to have similar opinions on the other two, but Dan's video brought some different points <3)

(this post is a MONSTROSITY I'm so sorry)
Ataraxia25 wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:06 am
It's literally 13 SECONDS in and I have this sensation that Dan is not made for this anymore.
(...)
Do you think they have outgrown the youtube era, especially Dan? Should they (or just Dan) start working in other field, and what fields?
This is especially interesting to me, because I actually haven't had the thought that they might drop youtube until I've started seeing mentions of it here on IDB, haha.
But you know what? I do agree in a way - I don't think making videos is Dan's favorite thing anymore. He's way too far in his head. When he used to do this regularly, he didn't overthink it to the point where he couldn't do it anymore. Right now, I really don't know how active he will be as a solo youtuber. I firmly believe he will remain active throughout videos with Phil.

But as for what they could do now? I'd love to see them hosting some sort of a show. They would do well in television, after some intense training to remove their awkwardness :lol: And I can honestly see it happening sometime, if they're smart about it. But only as a double act. This may sound mean, but I don't think they can do much with their careers without maintaining that togetherness.
Ataraxia25 wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:06 am
Dan talks about what makes him feel bad and it's kinda triggering for me, because i'm not feeling well and i don't want to see/hear other people trying to work on themselves and on the whole, this video just gives me a lot of anxiety you see ?
I didn't feel this way the first time I watched this video, but I did feel it today. Maybe because of my general anxiety levels. I definitely think Dan could have worded some things differently - a lot of his audience struggles with depression and anxiety (and other things), so it's important to not be triggering if he wants to do this type of videos.
glitterintheair wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:38 pm
I think that Dan felt the pressure to upload something and he did, but he clearly wasn't ready for it. He wanted to repeat the success of Daniel and Depression but didn't quite manage to do so.
Yes! I feel like Dan wasn't quite ready to post this video yet. I agree when you say it was vague, the message wasn't clear, and most of all, I think he wasn't in the right headspace to face what came after.
Thinking of it now, I'm still kind of surprised at how much he backtracked, because the message of this video (one of them) speaks of being yourself, unabashedly, but he withdrew because his audience is extra and reacted to the wrong things (which ironically were the most clear things in the entire video). I'm sad about it really.

Questions - I don't think they will do more vlogs. If/when they move to their own house, we can pretty much forget vlogs unless it's somewhere far away. They're still private people. I think it would be good for them money wise if they did make more vlogs though.
glitterintheair wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:38 pm
Do you think that the reception of TTLMT - or better, the reaction to the liveshow after that - was a wake up call for Dan, to make him reflect more on his content and what he really wants to do and how?
Definitely. I think that video is part of the reason why Dan disappeared from his own channel.
Mia wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 3:26 pm
The sex comment...I'm glad for Dan talking about sex and I am all for it. Sex needs to be talked about. I think the phandom should see it as just a comment about sex and not an indication into their personal relationships. In my opinion, the comment could be about anyone. If they're together, they will share it if they wish. I do worry that the phandom might get hurt if they're not together.
I definitely agree that the comment about sex was actually quite refreshing to me. I'm all for more adult content on Dan's channel, and having a sex life is really nothing to be ashamed about.
I will only say that I cannot see them as being with anyone else than each other, and this is based on facts rather than my own wishful thinking, but I totally respect wanting to be more careful about it - it's considerate of you :)
lesterchuu wrote:
Sun Jan 27, 2019 11:44 pm
what i got from the video was him telling us his process of trying to find something to live for, followed by my pride for him over the fact that dan had actually felt more comfortable to openly share his sexuality to his audience. so when i found out about the drama after, i was also disappointed.
I also didn't feel uncomfortable about the video itself. I disagree with some of the delivery, but the video didn't bug me then and it doesn't bug me now. I also felt quite happy about him being open and not hiding, but the whole backtrack and all the drama in the phandom afterwards is what made me feel bitter about this one. It's a tough thing, and I'd imagine it was difficult on Dan too.

Post Reply