IDB Watch Fest #9 - The Drought (Kinda) Continues

Ablissa
pastel persona
Pronouns: she/her

Hey everyone!
This is IDB Phandom Watch Fest #9, and this time, it's... The Drought Continues Edition!
We're watching the two videos that were up next in our latest poll - one AP, one DAPG. Let's watch these videos, judge them, enjoy them, make timestamps, notes and get some bants going here!

We're only using IDB, which means everyone will start their video in their own browser. This watch fest will run the whole day - pop in whenever you have the time!

Videos:
1: PREDICTING MY FUTURE!
2: DAB AND EVAN 'MESS AROUND'

Discuss the differences, make timestamps or notes, list what you like or don't like - just chat! :)

:money: IMPORTANT! :money:
:love1: Make sure you turn off Adblock and watch all the ads!
:love2: If you reply to this thread, try to come up with a question for other people to consider and add it to your post!

Any questions?
Post here or visit our tumblr or twitter! And most importantly, have fun watching!!
lesterchuu
philussy
Pronouns: he/she/they

Here are some starter questions! (Remember, you can pick and choose which ones you want to discuss.)

PREDICTING MY FUTURE!
  • Do you think Phil's psychic abilities are more of a coincidence or is there something greater at play?
  • Knowing the "future", how do you think his predictions compared to what actually happened the year after?
DAB AND EVAN 'MESS AROUND'
  • What are your thoughts about them shipping devan?
  • How much do you think of their actions towards devan are projections from their own past experiences, or is it all completely fan service?
"you are next to me in my life"
glitterintheair
phillluminati

PREDICTING MY FUTURE

Ah, I've always loved this one! It's one of those videos I could never get tired of - funny, entertaining and just so incredibly Phil. He was clearly into it and that made the video even better and I'm sad this type of video is not an annual tradition on AmazingPhil.

Do you think Phil's psychic abilities are more of a coincidence or is there something greater at play?
Usually, I don't believe in psychic abilities but I'll admit that Phil is really great at making me question things. First of all, in the video he predicted "domestic happiness" and I'm like... sobbing because they moved shortly after that video :happytears: and he also predicted "working on a new project", hello Interactive Introverts. And don't get me started on that 2009 video when he predicted Dan because BOY. BOOOOOOY.

What I immediately realized upon rewatching, is that even though I don't miss the bed and those blue and green sheets, I DO miss how spacious his bedroom was. I feel like his new filming set is a bit limited, which makes me wonder:
will he ever film somewhere else that is not in front of that white wall? In The Fiverr video he briefly filmed in the bathroom, but will we ever see any other room from now on?

Also, I want to mention the golden moment of Phil mentioning the #phangate and his fake wife Janice, that will forever be the most iconic conspiracy ever.

DAB AND EVAN 'MESS AROUND'

I miss dapg. I can't live like this, I am miserable. Anyway, in this video they should've just focus on devan instead of wasting time on Dil, like.. who even cares about him, anymore (sorry buddy). The Sims series came back to life thanks to devan and God bless them, really.
What I loved is how Dan was absolutely delighted over devan exchanging rings, he's such an old sap, isn't he? I love him for it. And how he was like 'if they're canoodling in the middle of the night then I SURE HOPE they're gonna be boyfriends too', like.. Dan, that's not a given, lmao. But what does he know, he's a serious monogamist, after all.
Also, I sensed a bit of awkwardness (but in a good way) when devan were 'messing around'. I feel like when dnp made this video they were not completely comfortable with commenting some stuff, yet. I mean, just compare this video to the one we got in December when devan moved to their own place and there was basically a dnp/devan comparison every 5 SECONDS.

How much do you think of their actions towards devan are projections from their own past experiences, or is it all completely fan service?

I think some of them are projections, it's inevitable. Not all of them, but I think a good chunk are things they are familiar with and they know we know.

Do you think we'll ever see the devan wedding? Why do you think they stopped the series at their engagement?
I'm a winter flower underground, always thirsty for summer rain.
lesterchuu
philussy
Pronouns: he/she/they

predicting my future
1:20 - wait...did they really have snow
1:56 - i reaaaaaally wanted dan to try this one too but oh well, the babuse was so much better
3:25 - mpreg philly
3:53 - idk why but just hearing "domestic happiness" makes me smile a bit
4:11 - 🤔🤔🤔...oooh i wonder what that "project" could be
4:25 - this one is pretty controversial but i like how phil played it up for laughs
7:15 - mpreg philly returns
Do you think Phil's psychic abilities are more of a coincidence or is there something greater at play?

as much as i am a cynical person, i DID used to have prophetic dreams when i was a kid, so i do believe phils psychic abilities to some extent. im sure someone made a video compilation of phils future predictions and if it was only a one-off thing, its so easy to attribute that as a coincidence...but then it happened time and time again.

devan messing around
0:00 - i miss him :(
0:35 - says the one who messed around with the door open i mean what
1:17 - "nooo, your mum needs to deal with me.....symmetricallyskldj ok" nice save dan
6:02 - "they wanna see dab and evan messing around...but no, youre getting dil watering plants"
9:06 - capitalester
12:10 - "i too get motivated by watching other people do housework, okay" 🤔🤔🤔
15:00 - i love how they were just like "what? i thought it was obvious they were dating"
15:58 - dans just like "awww promise rings, so sweet" meanwhile, phils like "can they fuck now?"...i see their priorities
17:20 - reminds me of dans tweet where he implied hes also the type to go on his laptop right after doing the do

What are your thoughts about them shipping devan?

one word: interesting. at first glance, its like shipping your own ocs...its fine. but i know from experience that sometimes you "accidentally" make a self-insert oc because....reasons. a part of me feels like they are projecting into dab and evan a bit, especially at the part where they made devan official. the promise rings. also, their faces during the "messing around" part is just, *chefs kiss*.
"you are next to me in my life"
Ablissa
pastel persona

I'm feeling lazy today, so I gave up on my timestamps halfway through :lol: So sorry. I suck at doing them anyway!
Please feel free to jump in even in the following days, this one didn't get a lot of 'traffic' :)
Fun fact before we begin - I got a Durex commercial 3 times during these two vids. :lol: (Not based on my cookies I don't think, because I haven't done anything to cause it lol)

Overall, I enjoyed both of these videos. Watching PREDICTING MY FUTURE, I couldn't help but enjoy that it was a unique, well-prepared video. His latest video, although the humor is on point (but in this one too), kind of pales in comparison when it comes to the general creative aspect of it.

So some futuristic thoughts...
- It was 10:01. We stan a capitalist King
- I can't believe this was two years ago. (Also, the hair was bad. Obligatory - I say it every time)
- I had a feeling that he may have had a ~hunch about II already, or maybe I'm projecting because some of the futures came true.
- The small cameo from Dan was probably staged but so so sweet.
– Fertility is something Phil has a lot of interest in for a person that it doesn't really concern... Must be the hamster breeding.
- He did a #spon for his liveshows at the end, mentioning LAP. Sigh. I miss the live shows.
As for Devan...
I did like the video, but I have to say the scraps we got during "Gamingmas 2018" were so much better still. They went full on ~comparing to ourselves~ during those, whereas here they just reacted a bit.

Small notes:
- I wonder how Kath feels about the constant your mum jokes :lol:
- Dab totally needed a door, Phil. Glad he came around.. And they could have skipped all the stuff with the rest of the family because we're only here for the cute romance plot. The work stuff is pretty boring, I already played through most of it in my Sims game and I cba watching it again.
(sidenote: I do love their Sims videos and would be happy if they came back, I've just played too much Sims myself to enjoy work things)
- Always when I think of the Devan thing, I think that this is the plot that should have happened back in 2014, but they just weren't ready yet.
- I love Phil's shoulder tap thing. Do you all think it's pre-planned?As in, he does it because we love it?
- Lmao I love how Dan is all "aaa promise rings :')" and Phil is "SO NOW CAN THEY WOOHO?"
- "Close your eyes, spotted dirt frog" made me snort
Questions:
I wrote a fic about psychic!Phil lately, so I hope there is something to it :D
No but, I don't fully believe in stuff like that, BUT like @glitterintheair I find it... fascinating that he really did pretty much predict the appearance of Dan in his life. So it's a headcanon I'm halfway prepared to believe in.

What are your thoughts about them shipping devan?
A part of me thinks it's fanservice, them responding to what the fans clearly wanted. However, I know that a lot of their Sims plots are created by themselves, so I think they pre-planned this.
I believe this is the plot they would have used for Dil if not for the fact that it was 2014. They went with the safer option of Tabitha, and then neglected her and made her boring as heck.

Do you think we'll ever see the devan wedding? Why do you think they stopped the series at their engagement?
I really think we will see the Devan wedding. They will be asked about it until the end of time, so it wouldn't make sense not to give it to us.
In all fairness, I think that stopping at the engagement was poor planning on their part. If they ended the series with the wedding, I would be 100% convinced that it's not coming back.

New question in case anyone else will participate:
How much do you think they planned in the Sims? Do you think everything was done by them including the alien pregnancy (or at least trying to cause it), or were they ever genuinely surprised?