IDB Watch Parties

A permanent home for threads that will no longer be updated.
lesterchuu
philussy
Pronouns: he/she/they

i say fuck it and lets watch mark of oxin

in honour of dan vs phil, lets watch the first and last one thats on the gaming channel, with a bonus of the "original" dan vs phil
"you are next to me in my life"
Ablissa
pastel persona
Pronouns: she/her

lesterchuu wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:24 am i say fuck it and lets watch mark of oxin

in honour of dan vs phil, lets watch the first and last one thats on the gaming channel, with a bonus of the "original" dan vs phil
This is a great idea! The only thing is, we already watched their first gaming video. I'm not sure if we want to do that again as a watch party? What do you think?

What do you all want to watch?
kavat
pastel persona

I think we definitely should do Mark of Oxin! They are pretty long so I think part 1 +2 would be enough for one viewing party. It would also be fun to watch some of the earlier ones, like the first Dan vs Phil and the first Sims.

I really like Rabbit, it feels more lika a conversation while the discussion here is more in depth (duh). Maybe we could do a Rabbit for Mark of Oxin, and an IDB-only fest for older dapg vids, as there will probably be a lot to compare and analyze? Idk, both has their perks.
Ablissa
pastel persona

Sorry for not being active here, Christmas had me super occupied.
As it is now, due to my lateness, we have very little time to set up our watch fest, so I'm going to propose something and hope you all agree - then with the new year we will make some polls and decide where to go with this project :)

My proposal for the end of the year watch fest - 30th December
Let's ring out the year with going back to our 'old' format, as in everyone watches the video and comes here to discuss without rabb.it. Starting with the new year, we will decide if we want to stick to our old format or continue with rabb.it.

For this watch fest, I propose Mark of Oxin. Most of us love it, it could use more views (even if we won't give it many), and it will be a great thing to discuss here afterwards.

I also wonder if we shouldn't change the times to noon UTC + 7 PM UTC so that more people can make it?

What do you all think?

Obligatory TL;DR: This Sunday, 30th, let's use our old format (everyone watches on their own and then comes here to discuss) and let's watch Mark of Oxin. Thoughts?
lesterchuu
philussy

alright, im just starting to pull myself together after a week of depressive episode so pls bare with me...

phandom watch fest was originally brought up as an idea as a way to help dnp's views on their videos and to also dive deep and discuss it ala book club style. we thought it would also be a good middle person for people outside of idb to feel curious and comfortable enough to post their thoughts in here as well. itll be like killing two birds with one stone. at first we were only going to do the rabbit streams for special occasions, but as weve began hosting showings there (twice now), weve noticed some change in the air. some people liked the sense of community to be able to hang out and talk with everyone live...the caveat is that not a lot of people are drawn to post their thoughts in the forums afterwards, nor are we contributing to dnp's views at all. we began updating more on the twitter and tumblr accounts and on some days it felt as if this forum thread is left deserted. yes, we use this thread to discuss what videos to watch and when to do it, but doing the rabbit streams felt as if we were stepping away from idb and that we are now our own thing. is that a good thing or a bad thing - i dont know.

i realize that if we compensated by doing some showings with the old format and some showings via rabbit with a bi-weekly sunday schedule...it will probably only end up confusing people. over time, it felt as if weve lost our real purpose and now we arent sure how to proceed - well, thats what i felt like on my end at least. so now i want to know what you guys think. i really like this project. i love making art for it and helping run/organize it, and @Ablissa has been awesome at keeping things together and setting up everything, but we value your thoughts in this too.

shall we try and stick to our roots and go back to the old format? or shall we go with rabbit after all?

(we will open up a poll after the dec. 30 showing but pls let this post help you gather some thoughts about this project)
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

I do think going off of the initial purpose and then seeing the results with both versions of the fest, I like going back to the original format to encourage discussion more. I honestly don't mind either, but I love reading people's extended and in depth (heh) thoughts about the videos we watch, and posts here never garner the same traction as they do when we use the original format.
opendoor
rainbow nerd

I don't like rabbit because of the views not counting thing, and I like reading the long posts here. So that's my vote.
I miss Dan Howell's stupid face.
glitterintheair
phillluminati

Aw, I"m so sad I'm gonna miss this watch party, have fun guys!
obsessivelymoody wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:46 am I do think going off of the initial purpose and then seeing the results with both versions of the fest, I like going back to the original format to encourage discussion more. I honestly don't mind either, but I love reading people's extended and in depth (heh) thoughts about the videos we watch, and posts here never garner the same traction as they do when we use the original format.
+ 1
I'm a winter flower underground, always thirsty for summer rain.
kavat
pastel persona

I'm all for using the original idb format as a standard, and perhaps rabb.it for special occasions. In depth discussions are what we are here to do after all :)

Mark of Oxin sounds great, and the times are fine for me! And a big thank you to ablissa and lesterchuu for organizing this whole thing <3
Ataraxia25
flower crown
Pronouns: they/them

Just like everyone, i don't mind going back to the old format. Sometimes i feel like i like it best, even if i'm personally not the best at very long constructed and thoughtful posts.

AND YES TO THE MARK OF OXIN! I couldn't be happier!

and massive thank you to @Ablissa and @lesterchuu for organising all this! You two are the best! <3
:gayaf:
hello9217
flower crown

Yay! I missed the past watch fests that were on rabb.it because december is a busy time at work for me but I am excited to join back in for the next one. And coming back to Mark of Oxin :stan: It's the best!
LurkingTrash
woodland creature
Pronouns: She/Her

december is really busy so i'm not participating as i would like to but i face a similar duality, i support the idea of doing the watch parties for giving them views SO much and i like the in depth discussions we have in the forum - even when i don't have time to participate, just reading them later is really interesting and satisfying - but having participated of a rabb.it showing i must say that that was a whole other kind of fun too, it does bring the sense of community and you have an easier time chatting and keeping up with the pace (something i always do is fall behind with the other watch parties, i'm slower watching by myself).
imo i would choose to still prioritize the original idea of making it for the views and in depth discussion, even if it will not attract as bigger of a public that the rabb.it format might attract
i'm sad that i can't still join for the next watch party but i'm excited to come back in january after holiday madness is over. i'm sure that joining in this project is something that will help with hiatus feelings
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

I really liked doing pinof with the Rabbit format, but since the later one falls at the exact same time as the word wars (and the earlier watch time is waaaay before I'm awake) I probably won't consistently participate if it stays that format/that time. The benefit to them being on IDB was that I could still get my writing time in - since those Sunday afternoon hours are generally my only designated block of time to write in a week - and enjoy reading and contributing a bit later.

I also enjoy that anyone can jump in here at any time and it doesn't feel like you're entering a conversation halfway through. I remember during the pinof ones I came in a bit late and everyone had somehow already formed a group chat (on twitter, I think?) and issued invites and it was a little bit weird and alienating because I didn't know any of them but they were already talking privately elsewhere. But that's maybe just me being Internet Old. Plus - I kinda forgot til someone else mentioned it in this thread, if the original purpose was to give a video some views Rabbit definitely doesn't do that. You're only getting one view there even if 50 people are watching it.

Still, if you end up settling on the rabbit format long term, I'll definitely try and join once in a while! I understand the appeal of being able to respond live, it does make it a bit more engaging and you'll pull it more people from across the phandom.
Ablissa
pastel persona

Thank you for all your input everyone, it's really helpful!
There are definitely pros and cons to both options. One thing I noticed, and I hope @lesterchuu won't disagree with me, is that it's difficult to combine our "old" format with involving the rest of the phandom. The times we tried were a flop - next to no interest from the "outside" with the occasional "why don't you just use rabb.it" question. Most of the phandom doesn't seem to use forums and it's confusing for them (and for me) to try and involve them when they have no idea what is going on.

The way I see it going forward is - when we host an IDB only watch fest, there is almost no point to advertise it to the 'public'. In a way, I feel like that could almost damage what we built on twitter/tumblr. We managed to find some interest, not a lot but some, during our rabbit watch fests. If we start confusing people with different formats now, they will leave. Which I don't mind, IDB is my focus here, but it also seems like a waste to damage what we worked on - and trying to get attention to this project wasn't easy haha (again shoutout to lesterchuu and our humiliation when we begged cool people to retweet our ad). :lol:

So my current thought is, maybe we could alternate sometimes?
We could do rabbit at times and involve the phandom, and then, for videos that can have a lot of good in depth :lol: discussion, we stick to IDB and ignore the outsiders. How does that sound?

I'll be making polls about all this after tomorrow's watch fest, but any further input is appreciated!

:babuse: REMINDER: our watch fest is tomorrow, December 30th, at 12 noon UTC (1 hr earlier than before to allow people to join in) and 7 PM UTC. We're not using rabb.it and we're watching Mark of Oxin! :babuse:
lesterchuu
philussy

so based from the thoughts gathered here, we could still keep doing what were doing and do rabb.it for special occasions. i agree with @Ablissa, we dont have to do #spons if were doing idb viewings. its a lot easier that way too since we can separate both events and its less confusing. having both things as separate gives us more time to actually prepare for special events itself, like we can plan and announce the event weeks before while still continuing the idb showings since we dont hve to #spon these ones and its now a thing that we do here every other sunday.

but you know what, im kind of glad we went through trying all those things because now we get to think it through and see what worked and what didnt.

re:rabbit - how about we continue getting video suggestions from people here but move the polls on twitter? and any announcements can go on tumblr (like maybe making an announcement clearly stating that we will still be doing viewing parties every other sunday on idb but rabbit will be for special occassions or something like that for starters?) that way were still utilizing those two accounts.
lesterchuu
philussy

double posting but coughs-

shall we start planning for our next showing. i was thinking of planning something along the lines of helping quench the thirst during the hiatus so probably one more idb show next sunday then a rabbit one after so we hve time to plan for it. (havent looked at the calendar yet)

as for the videos we will watch: does anyone have any videos they want to watch the most?
Ablissa
pastel persona

I think before we plan our next showing, we need to decide a few "organizational" things! Or we can do both at the same time :D

If we want to keep our so called rabbit community/social media alive, I think we need to do a rabb.it showing first before we do another one that's strictly IDB. We have to do these rabb.it showings somewhat regularly, unless we give up on what (little) attention we managed to get in the phandom, then we can just do IDB.
My thought kind of was we could host IDB watch fests every 2 weeks, and rabb.it every 2 weeks. But this results in some form of watch fest happening weekly, and I'm not sure people care enough to participate that often? Maybe during hiatus this would be fun though.

I'm also still wondering if we should reschedule the watch fests somehow, as in, the hours of showings. I don't mind having a bigger gap between them, nor do I always have to be the one to host them - we don't need to keep them in my time zone.

So to summarise...

Things to decide - click to vote
1. rabb.it vs IDB only - still. How often and which one we prefer? In this poll, please answer truthfully, I really don't mind which way we go, @lesterchuu and I are doing this so that it's fun for everyone here! :)

2. Showing times - do they suit you, do we need to change them? If the ones listed don't suit you, post your suggestion :)

3. Videos to watch for our upcoming watch fest - I compiled some earlier suggestions, vote or add your own!
Ablissa
pastel persona

Posting this separately on purpose - I had an idea for our IDB group that we wouldn't advertise outside, but would still watch on rabb.it. Should we maybe do a watch fest of Interactive Introverts? Is there any interest in that?
I would have to see if and how it works, but first I want to see if there is interest. I know there's been plenty of watch parties for II already, so I don't mind if we don't do this. :)
Ataraxia25
flower crown
Pronouns: they/them

Ablissa wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:58 pm Posting this separately on purpose - I had an idea for our IDB group that we wouldn't advertise outside, but would still watch on rabb.it. Should we maybe do a watch fest of Interactive Introverts? Is there any interest in that?
I would have to see if and how it works, but first I want to see if there is interest. I know there's been plenty of watch parties for II already, so I don't mind if we don't do this. :)
I haven't watched it yet! I'm going home right now so I'm gonna listen to the commentary sometime this week but I'm all for an ii watch party!
:gayaf:
kavat
pastel persona

I'd like a rabb.it for II! Or even one with the commentary, if that's possible, since they boys are planning a regular one (hopefully that's still on the table).

Another suggestion for future parties: Punk edits + Pastel edits. Punk edits past 10 million views recently and I think it'd be interesting to compare them.
Ablissa
pastel persona

Hi everyone!
So, through the polls (combined from here and twitter) and a lot of in depth 8-) discussion between myself and @lesterchuu, we're going to be making some changes to our watch fests. The goal is to hopefully make things less confusing and more fun for everyone!

1 - IDB vs rabb.it
According to the poll, we will be splitting our time between IDB watch fests and rabb.it. Once every 2 weeks, we will do an IDB only watch party, and once every 2 weeks - rabb.it only. This means we will now have some sort of watch fest every Sunday.

2 - Splitting our watch parties fully
Things started getting complicated lately. Because of this, we're making some small changes.
⭐ IDB watch fests will no longer have meeting times - we will just watch the videos during that day and come to discuss
✨ IDB watch fests will no longer be advertised on twitter - people on twitter just don't understand what we're trying to do lol :lol:
🌟 rabb.it watch fests will be advertised to the phandom and will not have an IDB thread for them. We wanted to keep that aspect, but people didn't use it a lot so it feels like we can just as well skip it for those watch fests. If you disagree let us know! :)

3 - Showing times
Combining our IDB and twitter polls, people want us to keep our current watch times. We are toying with the idea of adding a third watch time - thoughts?

4 - IDB watch fests
Aside from the stuff said above, our current idea is: one of the upsides of our IDB watch fests are the timestamps. Our thought is that we could figure out some videos that have no timestamps made for them, vote, and then watch a few that fit together well + won the vote. This should encourage more discussion and make sure we don't run out of ideas :)

5 - rabb.it watch fests

We are going to host polls here and on twitter to decide on video themes, and we'll continue to sort of "oversee" the project from IDB, so all the decisions will be made here. We want this project to grow more - once we have more people interested we might be able to bring them over to IDB too.

I hope you'll be happy with these changes, and everything is still open for discussion, so feel free to pitch in <3
Ablissa
pastel persona

On another note -

Our next watch fest is this Sunday, January 20th, at 1 PM/7 PM UTC!
It's our rabbit watch fest :)

We will be watching the first and latest Dan vs Phil + Jamaica Dan vs Phil (the REAL first dvp)
As well as some more DvP that we will vote on during the stream.

Hope to see you there :undertaledog:
Ablissa
pastel persona

We are starting our first rabb.it only watch fest in 10 mins!
We'll be watching Dan vs Phil videos. Round two at 7 PM UTC :)

Join us: https://www.rabb.it/PhandomWatch
lesterchuu
philussy

thank you for everyone that joined in the first showing! we will be starting our second showing soon at 7pm UTC!
the room should be ready any minute so come and hand out <3

Join us: https://www.rabb.it/PhandomWatch
lesterchuu
philussy

its almost time for our next idb watch fest so id like to expand on our plans going forward. we looked at the things that we liked about these watch fests and ask questions on how we can work on making future watch fests better. these are some of the points weve thought about:
  1. be more forum-user friendly
  2. contribute to the timestamp directory
  3. how to create an environment that encourages people to engage in discussion?
feel free to reply with your thoughts

--------------------------------
Show Times: what are people's thoughts?
the first thing weve decided to do is to get rid of the "show times" for idb watch fests. it seemed to be an obvious one since people are posting on the forums at their own times already anyways, plus it allows people to feel less constrained by the time. no more, "im late but-" or feeling hesitant to post because you thought you had missed it.

hence, weve scrapped the "show times" and instead it will be open all day. also the individual forum threads for these watch fests are open indefinitely so technically, no ones stopping you from replying to a post on the following monday.

Timestamps: ideas for how to decide in what order to watch videos?
Ablissa wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:48 am 4 - IDB watch fests
Aside from the stuff said above, our current idea is: one of the upsides of our IDB watch fests are the timestamps. Our thought is that we could figure out some videos that have no timestamps made for them, vote, and then watch a few that fit together well + won the vote. This should encourage more discussion and make sure we don't run out of ideas :)
another thing we want to bring back and focus on is the timestamps. while looking through our timestamp subforum for ideas on which videos to watch next, ive noticed there are tons of videos that havent been touched yet. that said, we thought it would be great if we could help work on this together as a group and quote our timestamps from our watch fests into the corresponding thread for that video in the directory. we would be helping catalog old videos and also, it would make @lefthandedism's life easier - hitting two birds with one stone!

that said, we are still toying with ideas on how to organize and decide on which videos to watch first. one idea was to list a chunk of videos into a poll and we will watch a video for each watch fest from most voted to least voted. another idea ive just thought of is to scrap that entirely and rely on a random number generator. well have a numbered list of un-timestamped videos ready, and when sunday rolls over, well simply generate a number and watch the video corresponding to it. after its been watch, we'll simply erase it from the list.

Discussions: how can we keep the conversation going?
in an effort to polish this project, we want to find ways to make the discussions more engaging.

one of the ways weve done is that wed provide several questions for people to digest on. not all questions needed to be answered, people are free to pick and choose which ones theyd like to expand on. however, weve noticed that the discussions can go a bit...stale.

im going to be honest in this. i cant say for others but, as much as i love reading everyones thoughts about the video and responses to the provided questions...sometimes i find it harder to reply a comment to posts. sometimes, people are only ever giving answers, and no questions or ideas to build upon. sometimes, theres just nothing left to add other than saying "+1 to this!". and of course the reasons might be different for others, but we would like to find a way to minimize these obstacles and have a more discussion-friendly environment.