Dan & Phil Part 85: the phildom

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual
Pronouns: she/her

firsttimeposter wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 5:59 pm
Not to start that train a little too early, but I have been wondering what kind of content he might come out with... because I keep expecting him to have changed super much after long pauses, but after almost every pause, he tells the same joke about plants or dying or foreheads or whatever. I just can’t see him making a video which reminds us of too much of his 2016-2017 humor (though I love those videos,he might want to distance himself). Idk. I’m so curious and excited though!
I think, or at least hope, that Dan will come back with something in the series of "Daniel and Depression" and "Trying to Live my Truth". Therapy war stories would be a good installment in that series, but perhaps not a video to come back with. But I think something along the lines of self-care (remember the "training montage" insta from early this year?) would make sense, and would be a way to implicitly allude to how he's spent the hiatus without getting into detail.
"If you're left-handed, ask a friend."
"Why am I left-handed?"
"Everybody makes mistakes."
waveydnp
drama llama

Phantasy wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 6:02 pm Of course he has to tack on “perhaps”... after more than a year without solo vids and 6 months without any content he has to add a qualifier. That perhaps just guaranteed a vid won’t come out until the very end of June (or never at all).
yeahhhhhhh. dude needs to stop. not remotely cute anymore
waveydnp
drama llama

i don’t think most people think that dan coming back will automatically fix things? i think, like me, people hope that if he comes back with solo stuff then the likelihood that joint stuff will come back too is a lot more likely. isn’t that what most of us like the most? the chemistry they have and watching them interact with each other? i also don’t think many people are ‘throwing phil under the bus.’ we just want more from him, because we enjoy him and we know he’s capable of more and better.
noodlebum
flower crown

waveydnp wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 8:35 pm isn’t that what most of us like the most? the chemistry they have and watching them interact with each other? i also don’t think many people are ‘throwing phil under the bus.’ we just want more from him, because we enjoy him and we know he’s capable of more and better.
Agree with all of this. :)

I also think Dan's trolling everyone with 'perhaps in June' :lol: Who knows what he's up to.

Loving Phil getting that rare pokemon card randomly (at least I presume it was random). There's a comparison reaction video between him and someone else in his liked tweets that was so good :P
Ataraxia25
flower crown
Pronouns: they/them

waveydnp wrote: Sat May 25, 2019 8:35 pm i don’t think most people think that dan coming back will automatically fix things? i think, like me, people hope that if he comes back with solo stuff then the likelihood that joint stuff will come back too is a lot more likely. isn’t that what most of us like the most? the chemistry they have and watching them interact with each other? i also don’t think many people are ‘throwing phil under the bus.’ we just want more from him, because we enjoy him and we know he’s capable of more and better.
Hard agree.

And what exactly qualifies as "throwing him under the bus" ? It's a genuine question! is it because we criticise his videos?
:gayaf:
palomeheart
dank meme

I actually really enjoyed the Phil video, even though it took me hours to click on it because of the title and the thumbnail. I've not been over the moon about a lot of his 2019 content, but I found myself laughing a lot throughout this video (the caterpillar rant and his attempt at farmer pick-up lines especially tickled me). I was also intrigued by him telling us his Myers–Briggs type. I feel like he especially tends to shy away from answering any sort of personality quiz honestly in front of us (I just keep thinking of that one where he had to walk though the woods and pick a house, or whatever).

A lot of the INFP (the mediator) description seems fairly accurate to what we know of him, though, including: "While they may be perceived as calm, reserved, or even shy, Mediators have an inner flame and passion that can truly shine," and "the risk of feeling misunderstood is unfortunately high for the Mediator personality type – but when they find like-minded people to spend their time with, the harmony they feel will be a fountain of joy and inspiration." This also seemed to relate to his affinity for creativity and unique way of thinking, "Fantasy worlds in particular fascinate Mediators, more than any other personality type. The strength of their visionary communication style lends itself well to creative works." The reationship section is kind of interesting too ("they will approach new relationships wholeheartedly, with a sense of inherent value, dedication and trust.")

Though honesty a lot of it also started out sounding kind of like the Phil we know, and then veered more into Dan territory, like: "Mediators often drift into deep thought, enjoying contemplating the hypothetical and the philosophical more than any other personality type. Left unchecked, Mediators may start to lose touch, withdrawing into “hermit mode”, and it can take a great deal of energy from their friends or partner to bring them back to the real world." I mean obviously any of the tests that try to measure personality are imperfect, but I think they're a lot of fun to talk about and see how you react to certain things they're telling you about yourself. And it's interesting that Phil finally gave us an answer, cuz I feel like people have been asking for a while.
flarequake wrote: Fri May 24, 2019 7:29 pm Interesting to know after years of people thinking they’d both be INTJ.
I'm very intrigued by this– was popular opinion really that both of them are INTJs? That's what I always test as, and I can't really see either of them as an INTJ (usually described as very analytical, logical, and often typed as villains in those 'which character is what MBTI type' things :lol: ). I've seen a lot more chatting about their types and deppy's personality types, and it's been fun to see what people think. I was reminded that Dan once said he thought he was an INFJ, and that also doesn't really seem to fit to me either, but I suppose what do I really know about either of them? It's been fun to chat about, though, and I made a quick survey because a lot of people on tumblr seemed interested in seeing what the breakdown of personality types in the phandom is, if anyone here is interested in taking it. Hilariously, 100% of the 44 responses I've gotten so far are introverts.

I don't have a whole lot of thoughts on Dan saying he's going to post a vid in June. I'm apprehensive either way about the response, and June seems like an... interesting month to make that promise sincerely, but I'm happy to wait and see what happens!
it's a useful thing
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

Tbh, my memory isn’t good enough to know for certain if it was INTJ, now you mention it may have been INFJ, it was definitely an I and I remember it being close to mine (INFP). There seem to be a heckton of INFPs in the phandom, I guess some types are more likely to be interested in tests like these, believe in them and be sitting at home a lot watching YouTube/getting so invested in someone.
palomeheart
dank meme

No worries, the string of letters is obnoxious to remember and I forget my own type half the time. And that's actually why I created the survey in the first place! I swear I see so many people saying they're INFJs, and that's supposed to be one of the least common types, so I was curious if there really are that many in the phandom (though obviously I'm not getting a very representative sample). And yeah, I'd imagine there are certain types who are more likely to be invested in Dan and Phil and spending a bunch of time on tumblr and forums. Such as turbulent introverts.
it's a useful thing
waveydnp
drama llama

phil has a new triop. this is big 2011 energy and i’m here for it. yay for tony
CapriciousCrab
sad dimple

Love the new pet! Did phil just wake up one morning thinking 'yep, today's the day i rehydrate some triops'?
I'd really like to spend a day with him-what goes on in that brain?
rikonee
drama llama

Just re-watched the new Phil video and I actually like it. There are some funny things like the bird shoes, the personality test, etc. It’s a cute little video. Nothing groundbreaking, but pretty okay. The only thing is I think the Pokemon cards are wasted on a Q&A video. He could, idk, actually play it? :shrug:

Also Tony! Important. Cute as hell. I’m weak against these kind of things. Simon 2.0? :ribena:

About the Dan announcement, I feel like a bad fan for not caring about it. I couldn’t care less. I won’t think too much about it but if he actually uploads, I’ll watch the video, at least.

Best of luck to him on his mental health journey tho. Hope he finds whatever he’s looking for.
Almost married PJ. we broke up tho
-Philip Michael Lester, 2008
Grey
lady door

Dan’s an entertainer. It’s not his fault that most of his audience is too dumb to understand his high quality humour. Come June, it will be totally justified for him to guilt all the idiots for asking for content. He isn’t ready, stop pressuring him! :roll:
I'm having a stress.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

everyone: i hope 2019 will be the year dan and phil get a dog :loveeyes:
phil: just grew another shrimp out of some powder :loveeyes:
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
Ablissa
pastel persona

Catallena wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 1:44 am everyone: i hope 2019 will be the year dan and phil get a dog :loveeyes:
phil: just grew another shrimp out of some powder :loveeyes:
Maybe all the shrimp are an experiment before he tries to grow a dog out of powder.
starwatersong
phabergé

ESFP-A here (Sorry) and I tried to do the quiz as Dan (answering what I thought he would answer) and got Logician (INTP-T). If anyone else wants to try it as Dan, I’d love to compare results. 😊
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

starwatersong wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 5:49 am ESFP-A here (Sorry) and I tried to do the quiz as Dan (answering what I thought he would answer) and got Logician (INTP-T). If anyone else wants to try it as Dan, I’d love to compare results. 😊
I was thinking Dan talked about doing the test before, and it turns out in this liveshow from January 2017, at 22:50, Dan says he's an INFJ. Not sure if he's an INFJ-A or INFJ-T, but as google describes a T as an INFJ who's more stressed, compulsive, and driven (compared to an A who is more levelheaded, less stressed, and less of a perfectionist) I think INFJ-T is fitting for him. Though, him saying he got a bunch of different results when taking it (personally I've done it several times and have only gotten INFJ-T), probably attests to Dan being a kind of consistently changing his mind about things.

Also, when I was searching for that timestamp I found a thread about deppy's MBTIs if that's of speculative interest to anyone!
LtrllySusan
lava lamp

I don't get the hype people have for MBTI.

From Wikipedia:
Although popular in the business sector, the MBTI exhibits significant scientific (psychometric) deficiencies, notably including poor validity (i.e. not measuring what it purports to measure, not having predictive power or not having items that can be generalized), poor reliability (giving different results for the same person on different occasions), measuring categories that are not independent (some dichotomous traits have been noted to correlate with each other), and not being comprehensive (due to missing neuroticism). The four scales used in the MBTI have some correlation with four of the Big Five personality traits, which are a more commonly accepted framework.
waveydnp
drama llama

Grey wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 12:44 am Dan’s an entertainer. It’s not his fault that most of his audience is too dumb to understand his high quality humour. Come June, it will be totally justified for him to guilt all the idiots for asking for content. He isn’t ready, stop pressuring him! :roll:
i..... hope this is a joke. if not, extremely rude and aggressive and the kind of thing you should definitely keep to yourself. dan can’t call himself an entertainer if he doesn’t actually do a single thing to entertain, and his audience are not idiots for asking him when he’s going to return to entertaining. also ‘high quality humour’ is very, very subjective. some might find being strung along after six months of absolutely no content whatsoever to be the exact opposite of funny, and that doesn’t make them idiots.
flarequake
not an airport stalker

Re MBTI, people just find personality tests fascinating and the criticisms of this one in particular aren’t as widely known as the test and types themselves. I’d heard a few years ago that it’s not all it’s meant to be, but I still find it interesting.
Grey
lady door

waveydnp wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 11:12 am
Grey wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 12:44 am Dan’s an entertainer. It’s not his fault that most of his audience is too dumb to understand his high quality humour. Come June, it will be totally justified for him to guilt all the idiots for asking for content. He isn’t ready, stop pressuring him! :roll:
i..... hope this is a joke. if not, extremely rude and aggressive and the kind of thing you should definitely keep to yourself. dan can’t call himself an entertainer if he doesn’t actually do a single thing to entertain, and his audience are not idiots for asking him when he’s going to return to entertaining. also ‘high quality humour’ is very, very subjective. some might find being strung along after six months of absolutely no content whatsoever to be the exact opposite of funny, and that doesn’t make them idiots.
It’s not a joke at all but sarcasm yes. I’m one of the idiots and I’m really sad about it. I wish he would stop reopening the wound. What I predict will happen is what has happened the other times he has suggested he might post a video soon: he won’t and then some people will be upset about it - then other people will snarl “Stop pressuring him for content! He’s probably having a mental health crisis! He doesn’t owe you anything!!!!” If he doesn’t want to post a video, that’s fine, but he needs to stop saying he’s going to and then guilting people for wanting what he said he would do. I don’t find this remotely entertaining.
I'm having a stress.
nøx
spork
Pronouns: they/them

Oh ye people of little faith. Dan will return.

With a sparkling, brand new Internet Support Group.

(I'm joking because I miss him. I hope he's happy and has purpose. With my limited knowledge it seems to me he's always struggled with boundaries between himself and public attention. I hope he's finding what he needs. I'm also sad he's not currently part of the entertainment I consume and I want him to be. Alas, that's not my decision to make and all I can really do is respect that while allowing myself to be sad about it, too.)
(Oh wow, I just wanted to make a dumb joke)
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

*taps mic* I would like to interrupt this discussion with a little spon for a good cause...

PhandomGives is giving creators the opportunity to showcase their talents and contribute to the drive if they aren't able to donate!

The tumblr post with all the info is here (linked in case the embedding doesn't work), and if people want to sign-up and/or share this, that would be all kinds o lovely <3
waveydnp
drama llama

Grey wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 12:16 pm
waveydnp wrote: Sun May 26, 2019 11:12 am
It’s not a joke at all but sarcasm yes. I’m one of the idiots and I’m really sad about it. I wish he would stop reopening the wound. What I predict will happen is what has happened the other times he has suggested he might post a video soon: he won’t and then some people will be upset about it - then other people will snarl “Stop pressuring him for content! He’s probably having a mental health crisis! He doesn’t owe you anything!!!!” If he doesn’t want to post a video, that’s fine, but he needs to stop saying he’s going to and then guilting people for wanting what he said he would do. I don’t find this remotely entertaining.
oh i see. i agree his decision to mention a deadline is extremely foolish, and if it’s meant to be a joke it’s a very unfunny one. i think it’s a waste of effort for people to keep asking. i wish they’d just stop. he’s obviously not read but he’s getting people’s hopes up and it’s honestly a little bit cruel at this point? like, reading the replies on his tweet yesterday made me sad. so many people are excited about new content from him. it will hurt to see that enthusiasm quashed if he fails to post yet again
SunbeamsandStarlight
placenta

Funny, this is the subject that finally brings me into the main thread. I'm a bit internet-shy!

I'm a MBTI geek...a big one. So Phil finally taking the test was super awesome. I have to say though, I thought he was an INFJ myself. I know quite a few INFP's (like, way too many)and they're all rather spacey, otherworldly beings. Yet, they...how do I put this nicely? They don't have a lot of motivation. While this isn't an inherently bad thing, this doesn't sound like Phil to me. Phil Lester, the guy who helped organize two world tours and co-wrote a book. Interested in fantasy worlds? Yes. Likes to think deep? Yepper. Gets lost in his head so much that he forgets about responsibilities? I don't know.

I've always been of the theory that Dan is the INFP and Phil the INFJ. The types work well together and if you look at the INFJ type, I think it fits Phil a bit better. You can even see by his results that the "Judging/Perceiving" bar is quite a close call. It could easily be a small mishap or glitch.

Although, it could not be and I could be absolutely wrong! Just thought I'd speculate. ;)