Dan and Phil Part 104: DAPG IS BACK FROM THE DEAD

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
tinnie
delia smith

Note wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:51 pm
I haven't played Sims 4 in a very long time, but I swear it gets more and more glitchy every episode. "Sims are wacky people" might be able to barely justify Dil having a house party at a crime scene last episode, but there was a Sim in this one who was straight up T-Posing.
IIRC, the T-posing is a "feature" in the high school pack. But with the endless amount of glitches that frustrate the whole community, nothing is out of the question.

I mostly just choked at Phil bringing up the kiwi thing and Dan one again being like "no way you're not lying". Nothing Phil has said can beat the puppet competition story though.
Grey
lady door

I appreciate that they overruled us on the vote for Dil’s career. We were so wrong when we (collectively) picked criminal*.

*maybe perhaps I especially approve of their executive decision because I personally voted for secret agent :rofl:
I'm having a stress.
jmorton
butt chair

Phil was the star of the last Sims video. The ad read for Nord VPN had me laughing so much. Also "Do you fuck ... with ..." Lol. We see what you did there Phil.
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

I wish we knew what time Dan is dropping WAD on YouTube.

(and what he meant with this tweet)
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
Grey
lady door

Catallena wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:05 am I wish we knew what time Dan is dropping WAD on YouTube.

(and what he meant with this tweet)
:shock:
I'm having a stress.
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

Supportive king!

Why is Dan being so quiet about this like I know he hates self promo and wants to be mysterious but this is crazy lol.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

We're All Doomed is now posted on YouTube! Happy WAD watching especially to those who haven't had the opportunity to watch it yet 🧡🖤
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
Note
dank meme
Pronouns: he/him

This show is a love letter to Bo Burnham's "Make Happy" and I couldn't be more pleased
Susanisnotafish
flower crown
Pronouns: She/her

I love that by posting WAD, Dan now has an over 2-hour video on his channel. Length King!
"Rub those freckles all over me!" --Daniel Howell
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

:rainbowtears:
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
Levitating
#relatable

The love for the craft is there and it's rather endearing. You can tell how much work he's put into this. Every details, every line and minute. He's invested so much not just for the money but because of much he enjoys it.

The ending song was perfect too! <3

I do believe him when he said he's making negative money from the show. It's actually why I also think he simply was not able to find a suitable investor to make WAD into DvDs and hence why, to avoid sending it all to waste, he put it on Youtube, where he'll make as much as he's made from free flow yapping with Phil.

I had started writing some specific thoughts on why I have not enjoyed the show but hey, you might be reading this and feels unnecessary. I'm no comedy expert and simply recognise that humour can have many facets and this is simply not mine. The performance and the love were still amazing!

I ended up skipping the whole show but I listen bits and the one thing that I feel like I can comment on is the Harry Styles bit.

Because if he's joking like that about a real person, then anyone in the fandom is free to breach through the reasonable limit Phil mentioned in his fanfic video.

Ideally, no one should breach that limit because these are real people, but Dan is basically doing the same and thus should peacefully expect the same. Or say sorry or something. Dunno. I didn't like that bit in particular.

The rest is not for me, once again, but hope he can learn from this and do more shows and that's when he shines (other than when he's making videos with Phil!)
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

omgggg we can't have a moment of peace these days, a second DANANDPHILBEATS album just surprise dropped on YouTube Music.

I guess that's one of the things happening after?
But what's the other? :hmmm: Am I even reading that tweet right idk.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
Panda728
dank meme

the heart emoji reply has been on my mind for hours
Note
dank meme

Levitating wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:40 pm Ideally, no one should breach that limit because these are real people, but Dan is basically doing the same and thus should peacefully expect the same. Or say sorry or something. Dunno. I didn't like that bit in particular.
There were definitely a few weird moments of... like... ideological disconnects, I guess? Another one was the combination of his (entirely justified) anti-AI-art stance with a segment showing off AI art he generated.
Note
dank meme

...I've been thinking about it some more (sorry, I would edit my earlier post if I knew how), and I think the main reason it's so weird is that the central purpose of the show seems to be to Make A Statement. Like, if he were doing a show that focused on comedy, ideological disconnects here and there wouldn't be jarring. Comedians are hypocrites, that's part of the job. But when the show is mainly about getting his worldview across, it's weird for him to simultaneously undercut his own stances. Maybe that's the point, I don't know.
Levitating
#relatable

Yes, it basically looked like he's using awful social issues like marketing tools...

But again, I'm no expert on comedy and simply didn't find this funny.

My main issue is the blatant sexualisation of certain figures. Is that humour too? My brain goes into "If a straight man had said that of female celebrities..."
dstny_pdf
first-time poster

Levitating wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:16 am Yes, it basically looked like he's using awful social issues like marketing tools...

But again, I'm no expert on comedy and simply didn't find this funny.

My main issue is the blatant sexualisation of certain figures. Is that humour too? My brain goes into "If a straight man had said that of female celebrities..."
I thought exactly this as well.

As happy as I am that he’s found himself, and as much as it’s clear as day that he invested a lot into the show — it just wasn’t it. I’m not sure what it was, but the jokes were predictable and frankly, it feels as though people laughed simply because it was, well, Dan?

Some of the content was very crude and inappropriate. It missed the mark a fair bit. Perhaps it simply wasn’t my taste though, and maybe it would have been better in person? I’m not sure. It just didn’t feel authentic and while I appreciate its theatre, it just — I don’t know.

The music slapped though. And I loved his outfits.
howadorableright
sad dimple
Pronouns: she/her

unfortunately me
back back back back again
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

They posted a little highlight medley of the second BEATS album on DAPG.

WAD throughts:

I'm somewhat ambivalent about WAD I think. I enjoyed seeing the show live and I think the live show atmosphere really elevated it because Dan so obviously loves being on stage and I was realy able to feel feel that energy and enthusiasm. Since then I've seen the show twice more on screen, during the premiere event and yesterday, and that sadly really is the inferior way to experience the show because it does make the flaws stand out more. There's things that just don't quite land for a variety of reasons and at points it does feel like a 2 hour YouNow liveshow rant. Some people LOVE that, I have less fond memories lol. Ultimately I'm just glad he got to make this and not the sitcom.
Levitating wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:40 pm I ended up skipping the whole show but I listen bits and the one thing that I feel like I can comment on is the Harry Styles bit.

Because if he's joking like that about a real person, then anyone in the fandom is free to breach through the reasonable limit Phil mentioned in his fanfic video.

Ideally, no one should breach that limit because these are real people, but Dan is basically doing the same and thus should peacefully expect the same. Or say sorry or something. Dunno. I didn't like that bit in particular.
Respectfully, do you think that perhaps you've interpreted that limit Phil talked about differently than how he meant it? Because to me the limit is obviously not where you apparently think it is, or else they indeed would not make jokes like that. I understand that people can be uncomfortable with those kind of jokes and fanworks and that's completely fine, but it's interesting to me that people jump to 'these guys are hypocritical' rather than 'maybe i'm projecting my own limits on these people'.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
greyarea
not a first-time poster

Ever since the livestream I've been trying to articulate how I feel about this show and I'm still unsure. I enjoyed watching it! I had a good time and that's more than I could say for DD, which I found so hard to get through that it almost deterred me from checking out WAD. But was it good? Not really, no. It had a lot of heart put into it and I'm glad Dan got to express himself the way he wanted to, but the more I think about the aspects of WAD I enjoyed, the more I realize that most of them have little do with the actual content of the show. I loved the stage design and Dan's charisma really shined through, he's great at audience interaction and that really carried the show for me. In my opinion the better choice would've been to make the show less focused on politics because it's clear that he doesn't have the education (and I don't necessarily mean formal!) or experience to pull it off. Not to mention sometimes his takes are just wrong, like when he claims old people dying off will magically fix the world lol. Listening to him talk about LGBT issues vs things like capitalism and the climate crisis, it's obvious how little knowledge he has about the latter, because when he talks about issues he's informed about he *can* be clever and insightful. But so much of WAD just felt like a regurgitated Twitter thread and that's not a good thing. The jokes weren't funny to me either, but that's largely because my sense of humor is much less crude than Dan's. Also the optics of the joke about him fucking his intern are kind of bad, maybe he should've thought twice before including that ha.
Levitating
#relatable

I attended the show in person as I got hold of a 50% discount through some website.
And similarly, the theatricality was nice and the energy of the crowd was lovely - it was the Phandom.

But my overall impression was the same: not my genre, not my kind of humour. It's basically DD kind of humour, so not for me :( which makes me sad because it simply means Dan's content is simply something I cannot longer enjoy.

As for the 'line', yeah, totally - I can see them having a different limit than then one I envision. It doesn't make it more acceptable, however. In the sense that I care less about the hypocrisy (if it is; it might not be, as you say), and more about the actual substance of what they do. Which is being - it felt - disrespectful and creepy in sexualising real people - whom he has even interacted.

I put on them even wider responsibility than I give fans. People in fandom can be creepy and toxic and all that, but (hopefully) they do not have a big following who feels validated by such shared interested. People who have kinks can 'enjoy' their fantasies in the little corner of the internet where they exist and we could open a whole discussion on what the limit should be.

One is certainly: do not show it to the subjects of your fantasies.

Dan on the other side has a platform and should know better. I know it'll never reach Harry but it's still rather public, resonant.
Note
dank meme

greyarea wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:51 pm Not to mention sometimes his takes are just wrong, like when he claims old people dying off will magically fix the world lol.
It was kind of wild to witness a massive audience cheering enthusiastically about how everyone's grandparents are going to die soon.
literally_formless
butt chair
Pronouns: she/her

At this point, I've decided I'm a fan of these guys for the long haul (I'm only 3 years in!), so even though there are definitely some weak spots in WAD, I'm excited to see where Dan's creativity takes him now that he's decided he's unapologetically gay, being super selective with what projects he takes on, and trying not to rely on talking about himself and his trauma.

Also, I took Phil's comments in the fanfic video (which I was fully delighted by) to mean he thinks "creepy" is bringing fanworks out of fan spaces and confronting the subjects about shippy fanworks. They both seem pretty clear about encouraging creativity.
Panda728
dank meme

dan's community post on youtube. 2024 is wild man I had JUST gotten over the heart reply and here he is posting a screenshot of it
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

Aforementioned community post:
And they went on a triple date:
Cackling over Dan losing his mind doing a robot dance while the others politely clap.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr