Dan & Phil Part 37: A better way to live

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie
Pronouns: she/her

sia wrote:And I'm not trying to over analyse things again but just let me form some logical conclusions. I think the way both Dan and Phil jumped on this secret wife rumors and nipped it in the bud (I mean the author also kind of did that unfortunately) (also Phil immediately invented unhappy marriage) speaks a bit about where their channels and the way they are going to present themselves in public is going in the future,
If you don't want to try and overanalyze it, I will. ;) I absolutely think they wanted to make sure the rumor was not only killed but there was no mistaking it for even a possibility. Phil seemed fully aware it was already kind of DOA in phandom itself but he still resolved it in ridiculous but firm way by saying (twice) it was ending in divorce.

I also didn't get the feeling Phil found it that funny. I do think he had in his head what he wanted to say ahead of time and pushed it til the end, and then was a bit stiff while carrying out the joke itself and moved on as quickly as possible.

I wonder if the whole "Dan has a girlfriend" scenario from a few months ago that was a big deal on twitter was really more of a pain to them than we might think, and they were afraid it would go that route? (Which it wouldn't have, of course, since the people that started the rumor killed it themselves this time.)
missemma
#teamshavedsides
#teamshavedsides

I need to watch the liveshow, I totally forgot about it (still not used to it not being on a Sunday)

Looking at alittledizzy's timestamps, didn't Dan say they were going up north this weekend (then would still be up there next week so no liveshow for him). So did Phil say movies and dinner then up north next week? They don't seem to have the same story? I hope they've planned him a big surprise party and he has no idea. 30 is one of those birthdays that we love to celebrate in the UK. Can't wait to hear what they actually got up to.
:prideheart: :gayaf: :prideheart:
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

Pineapple pizza is delicious and I'm judging all of you haters rn.

I saw the Janice bit on Twitter and it was hilarious. It's interesting though, Phil's mind immediately goes to demanding nagging wife at the mention of marriage? Not surprised he'd divorce her over cashews, marriage is just a piece of paper after all. :lol: ;)
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
Viofish
glabella

Amiaw wrote:The video was very cute- lots of sassy Phil and squeeing Dan.
I'm not usually a "love eyes Lester" believer but I could swear it was out in full force this video- also loved the cute punch moment at the end.

Interesting statement from Phil after Dan said the baby would be taken away in 2 episodes- he said it would be a metaphor. What do you think he meant by that?

yes love eyes Lester was definitely full force and I thought nobody caught that cheeky metaphor...... yes you and dan are going to be disastrous parents
"when you finna nut but no one wants to help with your kink"
Viofish
glabella

fancybum wrote:
sia wrote: On the other hand Phil has very different relationship with entertainment both the one he makes and the one he consumes, and if Dan is really as half of a procrastinator he says he is Phil actually does a lot of background work, I mean this is no secret, he was the one that organised the whole gamingmas, but I wouldn't say he picked a lot of flash game out of malice but simply because he resarched what do other people play and what appealed to him and what they could freely talk over and not miss anything important and Dan just had to sit there and provide his relatable reactions (scream), so Phil doesn't wierd everyone out with talking about breasts too much.

Maybe Phil's opinion on what is using his viewers and what is selling out is just different than most people's, I mean he is the one that is shamelessly into reality shows to the point he applied to the big brother, plays timewaster apps in his free time, was into sims and other thing that are persived as girly and cheap entertainment, so maybe he is not just a money hungry person but actually kind of progressive in that way that he believes that any entertainment that makes some person happy is valid and it doesn't need a flock of white males to make it so and that people are free to spend their money as they see fit. But one could argue that things are not that simple with their very young and impressionable audience, but one could also argue that that is then parents responsibility.

On the other hand a lot of Dan's interests are more traditionally boyish, especailly the ones he only mentions in the passing (like that he played age of empires during the weekend, which I always smile a bit when he says that because that is my favorite game and I consider myself female, but speaking of the average), so that would explain why he has some more ingrained bias about what is quality entertainment and what not (aka the male serious filmmaker in the comments he feels he should oblige to), but follows Phil's ethics on their joined content.

Now is Dan wrong or is he not, are female teens actually shalow fans that only stan for the looks and dissappear as soon as the hairlines start to recede and therefore it is safer in the long run to appeal to boys? Or is all just some sexistic crap? I have no statistical answer to that and I would love to find one, but I imagine it would be hard to obtain.
I think one of the main differences between them is their approach to their individual content. Dan rocks back and forth agonizing over creativity/authenticity/meaning (before giving up and doing another ISG instead, no offense), whereas Phil literally just picks an idea/theme and does a video and if he's happy with it and it makes someone smile, that's great. And along with that, I would say he's more business-oriented in that he doesn't care about doing a challenge if it appeals to him (where Dan basically criticizes challenges across the board and when he does do them, like the Photobooth challenge or Face Swap, he's always sure to be clear we know that he knows it's easy fluff content and is basically defensive about it or feels a need to explain the reason he 'stooped' to doing it (while in the process un?intentionally throwing Phil's channel under the bus every time lmao)). Phil spends less time concerning himself with the opinions of other people and just does whatever both appeals to him and fits into the palatable packaging of YT trends (like the 'British Boy Irish Girl' spin with Hazel's collab and including the glowing knife in this year's first video + unabashedly clickbaity titles) and his fuller use of search tags as mentioned earlier. He just treats all of it more like a traditional job than Dan does. Dan gets caught up in themes and deeper meanings to the point of self-sabotage and inaction.

And I think that all applies to their interests as well. Phil enjoys what he enjoys (even trashy reality tv and time-wasting apps) and again, doesn't give a shit about how it looks to other people. Like with the X Factor, Dan gets just as into it as Phil, but he feels the need to qualify that he was forced to watch it and yes it's trash, don't judge him for watching pleb entertainment please (truly the irl embodiment of me, an intellectual). He's always pre-emptively defensive about anything he believes he could be criticized for. It's in this way that Phil is more definitive than Dan. He likes what he likes, he does what he does, and as long as what he puts out measures up to his own standards (in views, revenue, engagement, whatever) that's fine. Which is fine as it's literally his job and being aware of the numbers and altering what he can to improve them where possible is just smart business. It doesn't mean he's a shill or only sees his audience as a cash machine, it just means he takes his job seriously and doesn't bother feeling guilty about 'playing the game' when he can stand behind how he plays it. And then there's Dan, who resents the game to begin with and resents everybody for playing it, resents himself having to play it, resents the judgemental eyes of everyone watching from the sidelines telling everyone who's playing it wrong, blahedy blahedy blah.

And the whole 'male filmmaker critic' thing: as much as he sticks up for his predominately younger female fanbase ('don't underestimate teenage girls' or whatever the quote from the Sunday Times was) and is genuinely appreciative of everybody, there's still a need to be taken 'seriously' (whatever that even means on any given day) by dudes as well. Chris has slipped into this quite often, wishing for a larger male audience, too, and I think it just comes back to not feeling able to trust the feedback they're getting. Because if the majority of your audience just seems to want to fuck you (because a lot of what you see is just comments about and thirst over your appearance), then looking for a hint of validation from straight dudes (ie. people who can look at your content objectively without the bias of also wanting your ass) makes sense. So it's not as simple as just being sexist, it's a whole other complicated mess that just peripherally may include it. Yay.

edit: Also explains him always trying to brush off comments praising his appearance as ironic and just an inside joke, because accepting them at face value ('wow my audience really wants to bone me.. thanks..?') is too uncomfortable and lessens the value of anything else complimentary. ~uncomfortable sexual dynamics~

you summed this up pretty well, I never gave it a thought, but maybe I am biased towards dans opinions just because he's a pretty face to look at. should I feel bad? and it does annoy me how he shits on us when we compliment him, i.e. hair, clothing, piano. although I do admit, the more he keeps telling the people the "oh no I'm terrible, don't look at me" the more of a reverse psychology situation he's getting into. like of course the more you deny your own self appreciation, the more people will try convincing you of it.

Considering he hasn't played piano for the audience for a long time, people (hardcore phans amirite) are gonna get a little shocked and respond in a surprised way, may that be "ignorant compliments"

ngl I am held guilty for giving these out shamelessly. hardcore phannie right here
lilMango
morning quiff

Jesp wrote:
fancybum wrote:
alittledizzy wrote:31:49 - Phil hates pineapple on pizza. Thank you Phil. Cheesy fruit is disgusting.
Heretics, the lot of you.
Right? Pineapple on pizza is great.

I'm truly disappointed by the hate for the greatest fruit on the greatest food.
Oh no.... I have to unstan...... :cry:
fancybum wrote: I think one of the main differences between them is their approach to their individual content. Dan rocks back and forth agonizing over creativity/authenticity/meaning (before giving up and doing another ISG instead, no offense), whereas Phil literally just picks an idea/theme and does a video and if he's happy with it and it makes someone smile, that's great. And along with that, I would say he's more business-oriented in that he doesn't care about doing a challenge if it appeals to him (where Dan basically criticizes challenges across the board and when he does do them, like the Photobooth challenge or Face Swap, he's always sure to be clear we know that he knows it's easy fluff content and is basically defensive about it or feels a need to explain the reason he 'stooped' to doing it (while in the process un?intentionally throwing Phil's channel under the bus every time lmao)). Phil spends less time concerning himself with the opinions of other people and just does whatever both appeals to him and fits into the palatable packaging of YT trends (like the 'British Boy Irish Girl' spin with Hazel's collab and including the glowing knife in this year's first video + unabashedly clickbaity titles) and his fuller use of search tags as mentioned earlier. He just treats all of it more like a traditional job than Dan does. Dan gets caught up in themes and deeper meanings to the point of self-sabotage and inaction.

And I think that all applies to their interests as well. Phil enjoys what he enjoys (even trashy reality tv and time-wasting apps) and again, doesn't give a shit about how it looks to other people. Like with the X Factor, Dan gets just as into it as Phil, but he feels the need to qualify that he was forced to watch it and yes it's trash, don't judge him for watching pleb entertainment please (truly the irl embodiment of me, an intellectual). He's always pre-emptively defensive about anything he believes he could be criticized for. It's in this way that Phil is more definitive than Dan. He likes what he likes, he does what he does, and as long as what he puts out measures up to his own standards (in views, revenue, engagement, whatever) that's fine. Which is fine as it's literally his job and being aware of the numbers and altering what he can to improve them where possible is just smart business. It doesn't mean he's a shill or only sees his audience as a cash machine, it just means he takes his job seriously and doesn't bother feeling guilty about 'playing the game' when he can stand behind how he plays it. And then there's Dan, who resents the game to begin with and resents everybody for playing it, resents himself having to play it, resents the judgemental eyes of everyone watching from the sidelines telling everyone who's playing it wrong, blahedy blahedy blah.
I think you hit the nail on the head with this. Phil has let go of the resentment to an extent and just does what he enjoys and what sells well, whereas Dan still holds onto his ideas about ~creative integrity~ without really applying his own standards to his work (it's too much effort, not enough people watch it, and he has to do something to pay the bills).

I also see this in their liveshows... Phil treats it like a job; he enjoys it in general but I think he realizes he has to act like he enjoys it even on days when he doesn't. I hate saying that Dan has less of a filter, because in some cases he really doesn't and we just tend to gloss over or forget that Phil expresses opinions too (especially recently), but with Dan's liveshows it's hard to deny that you expect something more opinionated out of him. You expect honesty, which sometimes means he acts bored and acts as if he isn't being paid a shit ton of money to be there. I think the integration of his youtube into his liveshows will make him act a bit differently, so that'll be interesting to see. A lot of changes this year.

Wow I haven't written a post in ages and that was utter shit but hopefully my rambling doesn't just sink into the abyss
Phil Lester wrote:"I'll rub myself in a mango before I eat a mango."
"Make no judgements where you have no compassion." -Anne McCaffrey
dontpanic
#relatable

I need to apologize to y'all, I wrote 1,297 unorganized words I just spent an hour on this that's how bad I am.
fancybum:
So I’m really curious what’s on his alleged list of ideas these days, because if it’s just pandering stuff like his exam prep vid, no thanks. If it’s more sketchy storytime videos about his own experiences, then sure. Beyond those options, I literally have no idea what he’s left with (and maybe that’s a good thing and I’ll be wonderfully surprised with whatever he ends up doing). But I understand the pressure and I'm not criticizing him for placing it on himself either, I just wish he didn't stress so much but I also know that's easier said than done. So.. yeah. I lost my train of thought, but anyway! Good post.
YES! I’ve been wondering along these same lines.
My best bet, dan’s going to make more videos like “I almost blinded myself.” He’s a talented storyteller, good script-writer, and the story-type videos are very successful viewer-wise. There probably won’t be a huge change in content-theme, the vids will prob just become a bit more mature and influenced by his developing sense of humor.
I don’t really give much weight to the exam video when wondering how dinof is going to progress. That video came after an abnormally long content dry-spell (even for dan), so my guess is he had trouble regaining his youtube creative vibe. Whenever I go a long time without writing I have to churn out a piece of shit before reemerging with self-proclaimed “quality content”
I hate saying “quality content” b/c I always think of felix’s constant complaining re. his “new vs. old” videos
Speaking generally, I agree with everyone who doesn't like his exam vid, it felt too forced and impersonal. plus to a lot of idb users like myself, this video just doesn’t resonate with the stage we are in life. This could also be a small part of why we’re not big fans of isg…dan doesn’t include questions relevant to older viewers. If he didn’t focus completely on his younger viewers and talked more about broader things it would be more enjoyable. and ffs I want that quality judgy, kinkshame-y, sarcastic answers we all know and love, real advice ain't fun.

Although I’m not a fan of comparing Deppy to other youtubers of the same genre, I gotta mention how even the unexciting exam and isg vids overshadow most other youtube content. I mean, Isg is on a whole other level compared to pointlessblog fitting name :roll:

I feel ugh leaving phil out of most of this conversation (ffs I’ve been on-off stanning him since amazingjason I want to gush about him more ).

re: something inspired by something someone said a while ago that my memory has purged

I forget sometimes, but Dan & Phil do have different audiences despite the vocal phandom members, and I don’t think he has the same level of insecurity and criticism dan has. Phil is known for his laidback fluffy sweet videos, and that’s what we expect, love, and want, fans and casual viewers alike. He can spend 2 minutes out of a 6 minute video talking about what he got for Christmas and viewers will be happy because, to quote dan twice in one day, “this is what you subscribe for.” Dan established his channel differently, and a larger audience came with that. People watch Phil to feel happy, and for the most part who’s going to criticize a video made to simply make people smile and relax?

Dan is held to a different standard with very high expectations—his content is critiqued and scrutinized and seen by more people than his peers: on estimated average for 2016, Dan’s videos (minus the f-ing tatinof spon) are viewed around as much as superwoman and KSI, 1.5 times more than Zoella, 2 times more than shane dawson, 3.75 times more than Miranda Signs, 4 times more than Joey Graceffa, 4.5 times more than Alfie and Marcus, 6 times more than Connor Franta, and 15 times more than Louise and Dan gets about twice as many views as Tyler did 2 years ago when he was actually relevant (names bolded have more subscribers than him, italicized has at least 2mil more).

Dan’s influence and prominence on youtube comes from the quality of his videos that you just don’t see with most relevant youtubers like the ppl listed above (I think they’re all still relevant? Ngl I don’t really watch any of them). With that branding I don’t blame him for procrastinating making videos, he knows if he doesn’t create the masterpiece he thinks viewers expect he not only will receive a lot of unconstructive criticism across social media platforms, he will also feel like he just broadcasted his “failure” to millions of people (On his recent vid, Dan got over 2 million views in 5 days--that's 2 million different people watching, not just loyal "phans" rewatching his videos for the 8th time). Compare all that to the people I mentioned above (except maybe partly superwoman, who I respect a lot but am not very familiar with her content).

A rather large portion of other youtubers have a smaller audience to please and an audience that click on videos w/ comparatively low expectations. Dan doesn’t have that privilege, who wouldn’t feel overwhelmed by that?
it could also be interesting to note that dan was rather young when he suddenly got his significant increase in subscribers, unlike Phil, who’s success has been steady and consistent. Phil’s “fame” is like he started at the shallow end of the pool and took his time acclimating to the temperature before swimming. Dan’s “fame” came like jumping straight into a cold pool. It’s interesting to wonder if that influenced Dan & Phil’s approaches to filming…

It’s so weird, I’ve felt oddly protective of dan lately, I used to be so indifferent towards him??

Edit: About DAPG
Swofro:
About dapg, I imagine if they really are playing games just with the camera on, we will get another vid like the old sonic and crash bandicoot vid. Less talking, more serious (sort of) and less engaging with viewers. I don't know how they didn't think of it like that before launching the gaming channel. Also, i wonder why the crash bandicoot vid doesn't reach 1mil view when we have a footage of phil lying on dan's lap. (I feel like I've said this before here lol. Sorry)

Interesting analysis! I don’t have much to add except wasn’t the crash bandicoot video posted on LessAmazingPhil? That’s probably a major reason it doesn’t have the view count it truly deserves, casual viewers just aren’t exposed to their pre-gaming channel gaming videos.
I also agree w/those who mention we should factor in the popularity of the games themselves—the classic-type older games Deppy love don’t excite a large portion of younger audiences so those videos won’t pull in as many views, same with the lesser-known niche games they’re fond of.
Also, I was wondering y’all’s thoughts on Deppy’s attitudes towards games…I’m inclined to believe they often have different gaming interests (maybe supported by the fact that dan has a gaming mouse while phil doesn't even know how to use it?)
They seem to like a lot of the same type of classic 90s/2000s console games, but for newer stuff Dan’s more interested in story-driven games whereas Phil seems to get bored of those and instead gravitates towards the trendy app games and flash games. Their choice in games might partly be because they don’t like the same games, so committing to a series game would be tedious.

(this thread moved so fast while I was over-analyizing, I'm off now to channel my inner wine mom and drink some cheap merlot while catching up with the new idb bants )
sia
living flop

swofro wrote:
000dia000 wrote: EDIT: also, Phil never really seemed to care about what age/gender his audience was? Not anything I've seen of them, he just liked an audience that seemed nice and would ever really remark on their kindness rather than any other aspect. Has he ever made any remarks about insecurities about having a "serious" audience or is Phil being mysterious and we'll never know what he bitches about in secret what Dan bitches about to his audience.
Ah, trying to understand Phil, my fav subject.

A bit unrelated to what you actually adress (being concern about viewers age/gender) I find it quite interesting that earlier in his days, he is so eager for fame (applying for big brother, joining the weakest link) but was not that bothered when Dan has more subscribers than him, even if he was the one one who gave Dan a leg up at the start. And even now, is not bothered (as far as we know) with the huge gap between his and Dan's subscribers. Where does it change, I wonder? Have he taste the fame and realise it's not what he think it is like? Was he not bothered because it's Dan? Is he just not care about it because he had found someone something that fulfil the gap in his life that makes him more content than being famous? What an angel.
Or maybe he secretly shit talk about it behind the camera because he is secretly a demon, who knows. Haha.

About dapg, I imagine if they really are playing games just with the camera on, we will get another vid like the old sonic and crash bandicoot vid. Less talking, more serious (sort of) and less engaging with viewers. I don't know how they didn't think of it like that before launching the gaming channel. Also, i wonder why the crash bandicoot vid doesn't reach 1mil view when we have a footage of phil lying on dan's lap. (I feel like I've said this before here lol. Sorry)

Toddler Dab is very cute and Dil being a dad is also aww worthy for me. And Tabitha talking with Drago and teach Dab to walk. My heart is bursting.
Viofish wrote:
fancybum wrote:
sia wrote: On the other hand Phil has very different relationship with entertainment both the one he makes and the one he consumes, and if Dan is really as half of a procrastinator he says he is Phil actually does a lot of background work, I mean this is no secret, he was the one that organised the whole gamingmas, but I wouldn't say he picked a lot of flash game out of malice but simply because he resarched what do other people play and what appealed to him and what they could freely talk over and not miss anything important and Dan just had to sit there and provide his relatable reactions (scream), so Phil doesn't wierd everyone out with talking about breasts too much.

Maybe Phil's opinion on what is using his viewers and what is selling out is just different than most people's, I mean he is the one that is shamelessly into reality shows to the point he applied to the big brother, plays timewaster apps in his free time, was into sims and other thing that are persived as girly and cheap entertainment, so maybe he is not just a money hungry person but actually kind of progressive in that way that he believes that any entertainment that makes some person happy is valid and it doesn't need a flock of white males to make it so and that people are free to spend their money as they see fit. But one could argue that things are not that simple with their very young and impressionable audience, but one could also argue that that is then parents responsibility.

On the other hand a lot of Dan's interests are more traditionally boyish, especailly the ones he only mentions in the passing (like that he played age of empires during the weekend, which I always smile a bit when he says that because that is my favorite game and I consider myself female, but speaking of the average), so that would explain why he has some more ingrained bias about what is quality entertainment and what not (aka the male serious filmmaker in the comments he feels he should oblige to), but follows Phil's ethics on their joined content.

Now is Dan wrong or is he not, are female teens actually shalow fans that only stan for the looks and dissappear as soon as the hairlines start to recede and therefore it is safer in the long run to appeal to boys? Or is all just some sexistic crap? I have no statistical answer to that and I would love to find one, but I imagine it would be hard to obtain.
I think one of the main differences between them is their approach to their individual content. Dan rocks back and forth agonizing over creativity/authenticity/meaning (before giving up and doing another ISG instead, no offense), whereas Phil literally just picks an idea/theme and does a video and if he's happy with it and it makes someone smile, that's great. And along with that, I would say he's more business-oriented in that he doesn't care about doing a challenge if it appeals to him (where Dan basically criticizes challenges across the board and when he does do them, like the Photobooth challenge or Face Swap, he's always sure to be clear we know that he knows it's easy fluff content and is basically defensive about it or feels a need to explain the reason he 'stooped' to doing it (while in the process un?intentionally throwing Phil's channel under the bus every time lmao)). Phil spends less time concerning himself with the opinions of other people and just does whatever both appeals to him and fits into the palatable packaging of YT trends (like the 'British Boy Irish Girl' spin with Hazel's collab and including the glowing knife in this year's first video + unabashedly clickbaity titles) and his fuller use of search tags as mentioned earlier. He just treats all of it more like a traditional job than Dan does. Dan gets caught up in themes and deeper meanings to the point of self-sabotage and inaction.

And the whole 'male filmmaker critic' thing: as much as he sticks up for his predominately younger female fanbase ('don't underestimate teenage girls' or whatever the quote from the Sunday Times was) and is genuinely appreciative of everybody, there's still a need to be taken 'seriously' (whatever that even means on any given day) by dudes as well. Chris has slipped into this quite often, wishing for a larger male audience, too, and I think it just comes back to not feeling able to trust the feedback they're getting. Because if the majority of your audience just seems to want to fuck you (because a lot of what you see is just comments about and thirst over your appearance), then looking for a hint of validation from straight dudes (ie. people who can look at your content objectively without the bias of also wanting your ass) makes sense. So it's not as simple as just being sexist, it's a whole other complicated mess that just peripherally may include it. Yay.

edit: Also explains him always trying to brush off comments praising his appearance as ironic and just an inside joke, because accepting them at face value ('wow my audience really wants to bone me.. thanks..?') is too uncomfortable and lessens the value of anything else complimentary. ~uncomfortable sexual dynamics~

you summed this up pretty well, I never gave it a thought, but maybe I am biased towards dans opinions just because he's a pretty face to look at. should I feel bad? and it does annoy me how he shits on us when we compliment him, i.e. hair, clothing, piano. although I do admit, the more he keeps telling the people the "oh no I'm terrible, don't look at me" the more of a reverse psychology situation he's getting into. like of course the more you deny your own self appreciation, the more people will try convincing you of it.

Considering he hasn't played piano for the audience for a long time, people (hardcore phans amirite) are gonna get a little shocked and respond in a surprised way, may that be "ignorant compliments"

ngl I am held guilty for giving these out shamelessly. hardcore phannie right here
So to add my opinion on the first part of this massive quote; old-school Phil to me seemed a bit (well this will sounds overly dramatic and I could be completely wrong, because I was not watching back then) almost self destructive in a way, especially after his channel took off in 2008, just to mention the way Dan and Phil met; Phil messaging his way younger fan, and whatever was happening with Charlie and he had this group of youtube friends with whom he mostly distanced himself from after he started hanging out with Dan if I'm correct (felucca's channel). Did he change just because he got older, finally met someone special, or maybe just both of their channels took off so much that he stopped looking for other way to be famous because he was already hanging with mainstream celebrities. Maybe it is just that despite the fact that Dan has more subscribers, every time they worked with mainstream media they were presented as a double act so they could be considered pretty equaly famous.

So the second part; but isn't the whole idea that girls are lesser fans because they only care about looks and only want to fuck the pretty boys a bit sexist in its own way, like can't girls appreciate the authenticity and talent and also want to fuck them, or maybe there are even girls that are able to rationalize that fucking them is something that is probably not happening and are just appreciating
their content and them being decent people in the world of corrupt celebrities. I mean I also had some pretty similar idea in my head but more in the vein of girls being more unreliable as fans, becuse they will switch their interests more often than boys and I was trolling the Internet pretty hard in the search of any research like that and I couldn't find any, only articles saying that thinking like that can be considered sexist, so maybe they have a point.

I don't think him denying compliments has anything to do with that actually. Just to think for a second what would happen in he would actually bask in the compliments all the time, he has a big fanbase, he gets a lot of compliments, good compliments, people saying that he actually saves life with his very existence, not really having to do anything special, if that isn't a breeding ground for a god complex than I don't know what else could be, he can't accept them all because he would go crazy, he would become this awful self absorbed person, like Alex Day from the Becoming youtube, talking about stadiums of girls that want to fuck him with dreamy expression on his face comes to my mindso the only thing to keep him relatively normal is to just not take them seriously and maybe try to encourage fans to try to find people that have more skill than him and don't get enough attention. I played piano for like six years and was pretty crap but every time he says he doesn't read sheet music and people say he is good I cringe
pilotlight
#relatable
Pronouns: he/him

I normally like Phil's liveshows, but today's seemed really nice for some reason. Good energy, and he seems to have lots of things to talk about so there was less time spent saying hello to people, or something.

I like his new plant (although the way he said fleurs made me wince). Wonder if it'll survive long enough to bloom? :lol:
sia
living flop

dontpanic wrote:I need to apologize to y'all, I wrote 1,297 unorganized words I just spent an hour on this that's how bad I am.
fancybum:
So I’m really curious what’s on his alleged list of ideas these days, because if it’s just pandering stuff like his exam prep vid, no thanks. If it’s more sketchy storytime videos about his own experiences, then sure. Beyond those options, I literally have no idea what he’s left with (and maybe that’s a good thing and I’ll be wonderfully surprised with whatever he ends up doing). But I understand the pressure and I'm not criticizing him for placing it on himself either, I just wish he didn't stress so much but I also know that's easier said than done. So.. yeah. I lost my train of thought, but anyway! Good post.
My best bet, dan’s going to make more videos like “I almost blinded myself.” He’s a talented storyteller, good script-writer, and the story-type videos are very successful viewer-wise. There probably won’t be a huge change in content-theme, the vids will prob just become a bit more mature and influenced by his developing sense of humor.
I don’t really give much weight to the exam video when wondering how dinof is going to progress. That video came after an abnormally long content dry-spell (even for dan), so my guess is he had trouble regaining his youtube creative vibe. Whenever I go a long time without writing I have to churn out a piece of shit before reemerging with self-proclaimed “quality content”
I hate saying “quality content” b/c I always think of felix’s constant complaining re. his “new vs. old” videos
Speaking generally, I agree with everyone who doesn't like his exam vid, it felt too forced and impersonal. plus to a lot of idb users like myself, this video just doesn’t resonate with the stage we are in life. This could also be a small part of why we’re not big fans of isg…dan doesn’t include questions relevant to older viewers. If he didn’t focus completely on his younger viewers and talked more about broader things it would be more enjoyable. and ffs I want that quality judgy, kinkshame-y, sarcastic answers we all know and love, real advice ain't fun.

Although I’m not a fan of comparing Deppy to other youtubers of the same genre, I gotta mention how even the unexciting exam and isg vids overshadow most other youtube content. I mean, Isg is on a whole other level compared to pointlessblog fitting name :roll:

I feel ugh leaving phil out of most of this conversation (ffs I’ve been on-off stanning him since amazingjason I want to gush about him more ).

re: something inspired by something someone said a while ago that my memory has purged

I forget sometimes, but Dan & Phil do have different audiences despite the vocal phandom members, and I don’t think he has the same level of insecurity and criticism dan has. Phil is known for his laidback fluffy sweet videos, and that’s what we expect, love, and want, fans and casual viewers alike. He can spend 2 minutes out of a 6 minute video talking about what he got for Christmas and viewers will be happy because, to quote dan twice in one day, “this is what you subscribe for.” Dan established his channel differently, and a larger audience came with that. People watch Phil to feel happy, and for the most part who’s going to criticize a video made to simply make people smile and relax?

Dan is held to a different standard with very high expectations—his content is critiqued and scrutinized and seen by more people than his peers: on estimated average for 2016, Dan’s videos (minus the f-ing tatinof spon) are viewed around as much as superwoman and KSI, 1.5 times more than Zoella, 2 times more than shane dawson, 3.75 times more than Miranda Signs, 4 times more than Joey Graceffa, 4.5 times more than Alfie and Marcus, 6 times more than Connor Franta, and 15 times more than Louise and Dan gets about twice as many views as Tyler did 2 years ago when he was actually relevant (names bolded have more subscribers than him, italicized has at least 2mil more).

Dan’s influence and prominence on youtube comes from the quality of his videos that you just don’t see with most relevant youtubers like the ppl listed above (I think they’re all still relevant? Ngl I don’t really watch any of them). With that branding I don’t blame him for procrastinating making videos, he knows if he doesn’t create the masterpiece he thinks viewers expect he not only will receive a lot of unconstructive criticism across social media platforms, he will also feel like he just broadcasted his “failure” to millions of people (On his recent vid, Dan got over 2 million views in 5 days--that's 2 million different people watching, not just loyal "phans" rewatching his videos for the 8th time). Compare all that to the people I mentioned above (except maybe partly superwoman, who I respect a lot but am not very familiar with her content).

A rather large portion of other youtubers have a smaller audience to please and an audience that click on videos w/ comparatively low expectations. Dan doesn’t have that privilege, who wouldn’t feel overwhelmed by that?
it could also be interesting to note that dan was rather young when he suddenly got his significant increase in subscribers, unlike Phil, who’s success has been steady and consistent. Phil’s “fame” is like he started at the shallow end of the pool and took his time acclimating to the temperature before swimming. Dan’s “fame” came like jumping straight into a cold pool. It’s interesting to wonder if that influenced Dan & Phil’s approaches to filming…

It’s so weird, I’ve felt oddly protective of dan lately, I used to be so indifferent towards him??

Swofro:

Interesting analysis! I don’t have much to add except wasn’t the crash bandicoot video posted on LessAmazingPhil? That’s probably a major reason it doesn’t have the view count it truly deserves, casual viewers just aren’t exposed to their pre-gaming channel gaming videos.
I also agree w/those who mention we should factor in the popularity of the games themselves—the classic-type older games Deppy love don’t excite a large portion of younger audiences so those videos won’t pull in as many views, same with the lesser-known niche games they’re fond of.
Also, I was wondering y’all’s thoughts on Deppy’s attitudes towards games…I’m inclined to believe they often have different gaming interests (maybe supported by the fact that dan has a gaming mouse while phil doesn't even know how to use it?)
They seem to like a lot of the same type of classic 90s/2000s console games, but for newer stuff Dan’s more interested in story-driven games whereas Phil seems to get bored of those and instead gravitates towards the trendy app games and flash games. Their choice in games might partly be because they don’t like the same games, so committing to a series game would be tedious.

(this thread moved so fast while I was over-analyizing, I'm off now to channel my inner wine mom and drink some cheap merlot while catching up with the new idb bants )

Hey that definately didn't feel unorganized, you've made some good points. I only want to point out that not only was exam video put out in the middle of dry spell, it was also filmed in a hotel room during their two monts tour, so that would explain lack of time to put out something more relevant and more rushed editing I wouldn't be surprised if he had a plan to do a video like that for a long time but decided to keep it for the rainy days, he was never about having super original ideas for the videos anyway. And I do find your analysis of how his views compare to other big youtubers interesting, but there is also the fact that a lot of these people like shane and superwoman do daily videos (I think, at least they used to) so it is not that surprising they get less views on them because their subscribers are not able to catch up,
A bit of a tangent, I never really understood why were youtube algorithms made to favor people who do daily uploads, most people that subscribe probably won't watch every single day, and now that youtube also started to favour videos that are over 10 minutes long, the whole thing is even worse, they are putting off their own viewers with this tactic of overly long daily video, youtube was about short funny/interesting videos that you could share with friends and they could go viral, and now is about watching long videos of people rambling every day and the whole thing is just not that appealing to general public anymore, I know youtubers don't have to follow that trend but it does bring maximum profit, and a lot of people burn out or just churn out super repetitive or just plain bad content and it is a shame
papierklemmen
flower crown

sia wrote:
A bit of a tangent, I never really understood why were youtube algorithms made to favor people who do daily uploads, most people that subscribe probably won't watch every single day, and now that youtube also started to favour videos that are over 10 minutes long, the whole thing is even worse, they are putting off their own viewers with this tactic of overly long daily video, youtube was about short funny/interesting videos that you could share with friends and they could go viral, and now is about watching long videos of people rambling every day and the whole thing is just not that appealing to general public anymore, I know youtubers don't have to follow that trend but it does bring maximum profit, and a lot of people burn out or just churn out super repetitive or just plain bad content and it is a shame
lol contrary to youtubers' popular and rather self-centered opinion, the site does not revolve around them. they are a dime a dozen, and youtube hosts millions of videos that have nothing to do with being a youtube personality (news, music videos etc.). their main objective is to get as much ad deals and money from big corporations as they can, and they tailor their algorithm accordingly; they don't exactly care about "quality" or "creativity" or whatever bs. if older youtubers cannot keep up with the changes, there will be new ones who will.
Viofish
glabella

sia wrote:
dontpanic wrote:I need to apologize to y'all, I wrote 1,297 unorganized words I just spent an hour on this that's how bad I am.
fancybum:

Swofro:

Hey that definately didn't feel unorganized, you've made some good points. I only want to point out that not only was exam video put out in the middle of dry spell, it was also filmed in a hotel room during their two monts tour, so that would explain lack of time to put out something more relevant and more rushed editing I wouldn't be surprised if he had a plan to do a video like that for a long time but decided to keep it for the rainy days, he was never about having super original ideas for the videos anyway. And I do find your analysis of how his views compare to other big youtubers interesting, but there is also the fact that a lot of these people like shane and superwoman do daily videos (I think, at least they used to) so it is not that surprising they get less views on them because their subscribers are not able to catch up,

just a question, but, what kind of criticism was dan getting about his exam video, it might be that I'm quite young and don't recognize any sort of faulty attributes in that video, or that I'm a big fan, but all bias aside, what sort of problems were associated with that content. I guess I can see if that was a pretty boring and over used topic, but his commentary and humor made it good? maybe I haven't seen enough "exam tip videos" to be bored by his.
Viofish
glabella

side note: for some reason the spoiler tab didn't work on my post???^^^
lerien
squish

Off-topic about Youtube algorithm
The fact to keep in mind to understand YT's algorithms is that at the moment, Youtube simply doesn't make enough money to be profitable for Google. Last changes particularly had been made to make users rethink their use of the platform. Youtube wants to compete with other medias users consumate everyday (take Netflix or more simply, TV) and to keep us watching continuously videos. And channels with daily long videos tend to do that (to be fair, Youtube algorithm doesn't take in account the length of the video but the time most of the viewers spend watching the video so an hour-long video which is only watched 5 minutes would be less favoured by the algorithms than a 20-minutes long video entirely watched).

All in all, the most profitable format with the new algorithms is... gamingsmas. It may be a coincidence that Deppy decided to do it at the exact moment Youtube's algorithm changed but
"I'm okay with things being awkward between us."
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

Yep, like sia says, the new longer videos have put me off watching most videos, I don't have the patience for that very often. I've been watching Wheezy Waiter in the mornings cos he's funny and does 3-5 minutes, also the vlogbrothers are sticking to their 4-minute maximum regardless. I will watch Dan or Phil no matter how long their videos are, but they're special beans so free pass.
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual

Viofish wrote:
just a question, but, what kind of criticism was dan getting about his exam video, it might be that I'm quite young and don't recognize any sort of faulty attributes in that video, or that I'm a big fan, but all bias aside, what sort of problems were associated with that content. I guess I can see if that was a pretty boring and over used topic, but his commentary and humor made it good? maybe I haven't seen enough "exam tip videos" to be bored by his.
Some of the criticism--and my own main criticism--boiled down to his being too old for that. It didn't seem realistic for 25-year-old Dan to be stressing about exams like a high-schooler. It kinda felt (to me, anyway) like all those movies where they get 20-somethings to play high school students. Just a bit too fake to be pleasing.

(As for the spoiler tags, I sometimes have issues with them too. They seem not to match up properly, especially when there are other spoiler tags embedded.)
"If you're left-handed, ask a friend."
"Why am I left-handed?"
"Everybody makes mistakes."
oqua
nose pervert
nose pervert

Viofish wrote:side note: for some reason the spoiler tab didn't work on my post???^^^
Moderator Action :
Unfortunately you can't embed spoilers within spoilers. So if you're trying to put a post under a spoiler tag but the post already contains a spoiler, it won't work.
Update, 1 Feb 2017: You now can embed spoilers within spoilers, just use the tag
instead of
!
Last edited by oqua on Tue Feb 07, 2017 11:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added updated info about outerspoiler tag
busy being happy~
Viofish
glabella

oqua wrote:
Viofish wrote:side note: for some reason the spoiler tab didn't work on my post???^^^
Moderator Action :
Unfortunately you can't embed spoilers within spoilers. So if you're trying to put a post under a spoiler tag but the post already contains a spoiler, it won't work.

okay thanks :)
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

LeftHandedism wrote:
Viofish wrote:
Some of the criticism--and my own main criticism--boiled down to his being too old for that. It didn't seem realistic for 25-year-old Dan to be stressing about exams like a high-schooler. It kinda felt (to me, anyway) like all those movies where they get 20-somethings to play high school students. Just a bit too fake to be pleasing.

(As for the spoiler tags, I sometimes have issues with them too. They seem not to match up properly, especially when there are other spoiler tags embedded.)
I personally disliked the genuine aspect of it. And that might sound weird, but when someone Zoella does a back to school video I think that fits because her channel is more geared towards those young viewers so giving them advice on school things is perfect for her. But for Dan, even if he's being humorous about it, it doesn't... at the time I kinda felt like Dan was trying to pander to his young audience (which he had never really done before) by evolving his persona into some cool big brother type and I wasn't here for it. Because what that video really was, was (really predictable) genuine advice with some comedy sketches around it.. none of which made it into his best work category for me.

I'm not saying Dan can't make school videos though. How not to survive School is one my favorite videos of his because it wasn't made with a specific age group in mind. It's enjoyable for people who are going through the education system right now and to people who have already survived. It's just the right blend of being sarcastic and uplifting, and the sketches are genuinely amusing and diverse.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Catallena wrote:I personally disliked the genuine aspect of it. And that might sound weird, but when someone Zoella does a back to school video I think that fits because her channel is more geared towards those young viewers so giving them advice on school things is perfect for her. But for Dan, even if he's being humorous about it, it doesn't... at the time I kinda felt like Dan was trying to pander to his young audience (which he had never really done before) by evolving his persona into some cool big brother type and I wasn't here for it. Because what that video really was, was (really predictable) genuine advice with some comedy sketches around it.. none of which made it into his best work category for me.

I'm not saying Dan can't make school videos though. How not to survive School is one my favorite videos of his because it wasn't made with a specific age group in mind. It's enjoyable for people who are going through the education system right now and to people who have already survived. It's just the right blend of being sarcastic and uplifting, and the sketches are genuinely amusing and diverse.
I don't have too much new to add to this conversation, but I agree with this. I think Dan is more than capable of making school related videos that are funny without needing to actually be in school yourself, the exam video just wasn't that. But I also agree with whoever said that the exam video came during a really hectic point in their year and after a long dry spell for Dan, so I tend to handwave that more than most.

I think the fact that a video that flies in the face of what he deems are his own standards being so popular must be part of his issue, though. He is aware that he can make the big brother advice type videos and his actual teenage fanbase, the same people that unironically love ISG, will eat them up. We might think it's insincere, and he himself might be frustrated that it isn't what he wants to be making, but it did pretty well.

I think Phil also, in his own way, has his standards. I think he's tried things before that failed (either in view count or just by what he considers a good idea, like his haul video or the toilet tag) and he just never did them again. We don't tend to think of them because Phil doesn't angst to us about them.
peekatyou
drama llama

Oh look, just when I started thinking "Dan's being too quiet on twitter, I'm not comfortable". I'd rather see him post something "boring"/insignificant like that than nothing at all for like a week
mez29
procrastinator

peekatyou wrote:Oh look, just when I started thinking "Dan's being too quiet on twitter, I'm not comfortable". I'd rather see him post something "boring"/insignificant like that than nothing at all for like a week
Hmm, that sounds like another of his pets. Next on dinof: The Story Of My Spider.
pilotlight
#relatable
Pronouns: he/him

The Story of my Spider on dinof and "2017 is still trying to kill me" on amazingphil
papierklemmen
flower crown

pilotlight wrote: The Story of my Spider on dinof and "2017 is still trying to kill me" on amazingphil
dinof: MY HOUSEMATE EATS SPIDERS?!
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

At this point I feel like Hector is the secondary character in a sitcom that I love almost as most as the main characters.