Dan & Phil Part 77: getting that d........vitamin

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
ratlad
angel bean
Pronouns: he/him

sonicgreen wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:14 pm
Ataraxia25 wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 1:16 pm
Ablissa wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:02 am
Anyway, a little unrelated rant: I kind of regret going on twitter more often, because there is drama about Dan following a photographer on instagram: Eli Russell Linnetz (don't visit at work, nsfw pictures)
Makes me wonder if either of the boys will ever be allowed to as much as look at a picture without everyone losing their marbles.
yeah i saw that and it actually made me very uncomfortable to see every little thing linked to sexuality like that (i know it can be paradoxal because i'm talking about nudes) i saw people linking it to the boys' sexuality and it is infuriating
It's a celebrity photographer, of which Dan follows a few. Sometimes art is just art :shrug: people need to move on
is this a thing people are getting riled up about? it's photography... it's nothing sexual, it's just a woman without a shirt or bra on. dan follows a guy on instagram that has very sexually suggestive photoshoots and he likes them from time to time, yet nobody blinks an eye. can we please start normalizing afab bodies the way we have normalized amab bodies?

anyway, about pinof 10- i have been bracing myself to hear "omg 10 years together!!!" "we've been living with each other for like 12 years omg" from dnp cause that's totally something they'll say... not sure if i find it cute, hilarious, confusing or all 3. i guess it's just their way of bragging about their close bond and fairytale love story!
nah i kid, in all seriousness, it is adorable the way they talk about how long they've known each other for! their story is not unrealistic or impossible! love is real!

edit: me? getting top of the page, ranting and sobbing? it's more likely than you'd think.
:daddy: :laptoprat: me irl
Ribona
crusty sponge
Pronouns: she/her

I think he might have followed that photographer in particular because he took photos of Lady Gaga recently and they were really cool and conceptual.
Secretstanner
truth bomb

Ribona wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:35 pm I think he might have followed that photographer in particular because he took photos of Lady Gaga recently and they were really cool and conceptual.
I’m pretty sure he did actually. I like to stalk look at Dan’s new IG followers because I’m always hoping he’s gonna follow more drag queens. When he followed them the last round of photos they uploaded were the Lady Gaga ones because I looked at the page. Then a couple days ago I looked on the page again and got the shock of seeing it updated a lot and obviously the pictures were a bit more exposed than the Lady Gaga ones I first saw.

But I knew I KNEW SOMEONE WOULD GO SEE THOSE PHOTOS AND MAKE IT ABOUT DANS SEXUALITY! I was just waiting so it came as no surprise to see it on Twitter.
Who cares what or who he follows really none of it should bring up the topic of sexuality but it does. People are so quick to label dan as bi but if he shows attraction to a female or follows a girl on ig people scream phan isn’t real. (I’ve actually seen someone freak out when dan followed a girl on ig because they were worried it was his secret gf) I guess these people don’t remember what kind of stuff dan use to reblog back in the day lol. Really it’s just a photographer the topic of sexuality shouldn’t be brought up, as I saw someone else reply Troye follows them, so if your logic is youre straight if you follow this photographer work then :roll:
dancy
procrastinator

I do actually wonder how long it will take or the movie to come out (I wouldn't mind October 19th ;) ) and whether it'll be before they are able to announce the TBC dates. They kept saying it would be soon but I can imagine editing an entire 2-hour movie must be rather difficult, especially since they have 11 cameras and angles to choose from rather than just one like in nearly all of their videos. Did they edit the TATINOF movie themselves as well or was YouTube Red in charge of that?
alittledizzy wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 2:25 am
The thing is, with my videos, like my personal video style - once I've addressed a topic like, once I've made a video about something, I can never make a video about it ever again. You know what I mean? Because like I'll make a video about - whatever, reasons why Dan's a fail, and I'll tell all of you about my personal experiences with it, and I'll share some opinions and try to make a couple jokes. But then once I've made that video I can't ever go back. Because I've done it. So I was looking at this video and I was like - is this, is this everything I ever want to say about this thing? So I decided no, it's not good enough yet.
I'm not sure if this still completely applies to 2018 Dan but this does make me wonder whether he deemed Trying To Live My Truth a "complete" and good enough video when he uploaded it/after he read the feedback. It got mixed opinions with some relating to the theme and others finding it vague, boring, lacking a conclusion etc. He also didn't seem too happy with what a lot of people focused on ("something else in my mouth"), so I wouldn't be surprised if he might've wanted to change or add some things regarding the content of the video afterwards and if that is possibly holding him back when it comes to making another "serious talk" type of video. And he probably just wants to get the tour and movie over with first before focusing on anything new.

Edit: Ooh, they just posted an Instagram story saying they'll spend a week editing the film, what a coincidence. Seems like they're in a rush.
Ablissa
pastel persona

Dan just posted a lovely instastory <3 (I wonder how Phil feels about that picture though lol)
source

If they're spending the whole week editing, could it be up sooner than we thought (so maybe really Oct 19th? :stan:) ? And apparently they're not editing at home?

As for the photographer thing: it does really annoy me that some people are quick to scream "dAN is STRRAIIGHTRT OMG" just because he happens to look at a picture... sigh.
Ataraxia25
flower crown
Pronouns: they/them

they look so beautiful, dan is just so fucking cute and i'm dead this is afterlife

like @Ablissa said, they're not at home so where are they going?
a relaxing vacation at the IoM ?
somewhere else?

they look so soft i hope they gonna get some rest too
:gayaf:
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

I think they're doing the same thing they did last time, which is working with a professional editor. It means they're in the editing suite overseeing it but the equipment scale is a lot more intense and professional than what they have at home.
obvsly
#relatable

Ablissa wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:27 pm Dan just posted a lovely instastory <3 (I wonder how Phil feels about that picture though lol)
source
I was like.. WHYYYY? Why do you hate Phil so much, Dan?!? :lol:
glitterintheair
phillluminati

Dan looks adorable in the insta story, no comment about Phil lmao.

Anyway wow, I'm surprised they are already editing the movie. I was expecting sometime in December as the release date, but maybe it will be out sooner? Hmm. Consider me hella curious.
I'm a winter flower underground, always thirsty for summer rain.
autumnhearth
senpai

When I look at that photo I can just hear Phil saying “eh” in an old an voice, not sure why, I think it’s something he’s done before. Looks like they got haircuts!

Photography is awesome, though I never did put up the b&w photos of nude women in gorgeous landscapes in this house. I had them up in my old apartment. Poor ladies have been trapped in a tub in the basement for 9 years, maybe I should let them out...

Dan should slide into that photographers DMs and we can finally get that tastefully nude calendar Phil turned down years ago. No, I- I don’t even know if I want that and it wouldn’t be smart with the age range of their fan base.

Dare we hope for an October release? It’s that time of year for me to try not to get upset by phandom math. 2018-2009=9 that’s all I’m saying. But I get it, people like to round up, Dan and Phil included.
chatterbox
tol bean

(Sorry this is such a long post and I know the convo has moved on so feel free to ignore this) Dan taking down those compilation videos about his family makes me feel a bit weird.
I started watching DnP in 2012 I think and got super into the phandom in 2013/2014 before stepping away for a few years (I was a sporadic casual viewer, not really a fan) and then falling back into the phandom last year. Back in 2013/2014 my experience of the phandom was pretty much exclusively phan proof blogs, the kind that dug up and catalogued and analysed to death all their old deleted formspring/vyou answers, made clothes-sharing compilations, posted the vday video etc. And this was at a time when DnP (especially Dan) were very adamantly denying their relationship and were clearly uncomfortable with shipping. So one reason I left was that my enjoyment of the phandom and of deppy themselves was kind of ruined by this feeling that (even as a lurker who didn’t actively contribute) I was doing something wrong and invading their privacy. I was so intrigued by these phan proof blogs and would spend hours scrolling through them, but then I’d come across, say, an old post from Dan’s customer service blog or even an angry post by a phanti, and I’d just be left with an overwhelming feeling of guilt that completely outweighed my enjoyment. And I think part of the reason that it’s been so easy and fun for me to get involved in the phandom again this time around is that these days DnP are just sort of letting the phandom do its thing without getting angry at us. But Dan claiming copyright on those videos (even though I recognise this is a totally different issue, about his family rather than phan) has reminded me of that horrible guilt feeling.

And I want to make absolutely clear before anyone thinks I’m criticising oqua or other phandom members – rationally I don’t think there was anything wrong with those videos, just like rationally I don’t think there’s anything wrong with what phan proof blogs used to do. I don't actually think it's wrong to archive/compile/repost stuff they have publicly posted on social media (the vday video is obviously a bit different). This is not me saying anyone should feel guilty. This is absolutely not a criticism. I’m just saying that I get a totally irrational feeling of guilt whenever Dan or Phil seem to disapprove of something the phandom does.
But it’s kind of got me wondering what deppy want their fandom to be like. Obviously they’ve engaged with and shown their approval of some fan activities (retweeting fan art, liking fan art on tumblr, Top Dan Memes, putting the Lady Door Remix on the ii playlist). They’ve kind of shown they're ok with fan fiction (even if they think it’s weird and can’t take it seriously) by joking about it often, and writing their own in TABINOF. But how do they feel about reference/encyclopaedia type blogs, or phan timelines, or channels that archive all their vyou answers, or the Drug Deal, or compilation videos, or crack videos? In the discussion about whether or not their channels were dying, a few people brought up how engaged audience is (I really don’t think any other youtubers’ fandoms are comparable), and from a business standpoint having such an active fandom must benefit them, but I wonder if from a personal standpoint they wish their audience, like, did a bit less? Does it even matter what they want their audience to be like? Probably not, fourth wall and all that.
Grey
lady door

autumnhearth wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:11 pm
Dare we hope for an October release? It’s that time of year for me to try not to get upset by phandom math. 2018-2009=9 that’s all I’m saying. But I get it, people like to round up, Dan and Phil included.
Yes but it FEELS like 10 years to them because they secretly hate each other.
I'm having a stress.
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

Dan's eyes look lovely in that photo. Poor Phil. What did he do to deserve that, Dan?

I wonder if they use any fancy camera equipment that can make syncing shots from multiple cameras easier. I forget the name of it now, but Draw with Jazza showed a 4-camera setup he was trying out that has software to do that, though it's in the funding stage and it's small scale, at least from how big the cameras are and the price (a few hundred dollars). Assuming professional cameras in a huge theatre need to be physically bigger, I don't know.
knq
lava lamp

Seeing what they choose to claim copywriter on and (the vast majority of the time) what they don’t highlights for me how little dnp interfere with fandom activities. It’s a good thing, and a good business decision for engaging their fans, but it’s also not a given. I can see why Dan decided at this time, when Adrian is making a public space for himself and Dan recently said his mum’s name for the first time in an II show, he would want those particular and particularly popular videos removed.

I 100% didn’t and kind of still don’t believe them when they said the II video would be out this year, but I’d be happy to be wrong.
lilabet
philussy
Pronouns: She/Her

Phandom Gives
@phandomgives on social media. Check out the website for the latest information and current donation drive! <3
Buddahbug
phillion/danosaur <//3

Grey wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:33 pm
In GTPWTW (is this where people are getting they don’t know math from? If not ignore me🙃) Dan actually says, “that’s 10 years, next year.” Meaning 2019 and then phil says, “10 years of knowing you.”
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

knq wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:47 pm I 100% didn’t and kind of still don’t believe them when they said the II video would be out this year, but I’d be happy to be wrong.
Just going off of them only being home for 3 days and then going right into the editing suite tells me that they must be on some kind of deadline to be able to get it up this year, or by wherever they're putting the film onto. I have a feeling they don't want to bring the tour into the new year, but that might be too presumptuous based on my own biases of the "new era" we're being eased into.

Re: Dan claiming copyright.
I went through a bunch of his old vyous looking for something the other day, and while I find 2011/12 Dan mostly insufferable outside of the basic themes of his videos, I felt a lot of second hand embarrassment for him about the shit he used to say since it's there forever, so I understand his motives completely.

I'm going to draw a comparison between how I believe they function within a glass closet here. I can't imagine it's exactly comfortable to know that people are compiling things in videos blogs etc, and to have people "make reaching assumptions about [their personalities]" (to quote Dan in his quiz video), but they're within their right to express a problem if they have one, or to take something down to make it less publicly accessible, and I don't think that's something anyone should feel guilt over (though I completely understand why people do!) because dnp know that every little thing they say is going to be torn apart in one way or another. Connecting back to the glass closet, things, like their closet, are there for people to read between the lines if they want to, but as they become more explicit about their boundaries and how they want to control them, they're going to do things that establish their comfort first. I think short of literal stalking (them and their families), and very obvious uploads of stuff they never intended to publish in the first place, there isn't much they appear to show real discomfort towards.
Phantasy
woodland creature

Ribona wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:35 pm I think he might have followed that photographer in particular because he took photos of Lady Gaga recently and they were really cool and conceptual.
*scrolls even further and sees Shawn Mendes* Whelp, solves that.
itasca00
moon room
Pronouns: He/Him/His

Buddahbug wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:06 pm
In GTPWTW (is this where people are getting they don’t know math from? If not ignore me🙃) Dan actually says, “that’s 10 years, next year.” Meaning 2019 and then phil says, “10 years of knowing you.”
Phil also says they've been friends for ten years in a scripted part of Interactive Introverts:
From his diss track (source):
Shut up, Dan!
This piano is whack.
People like the rap,
so Philly is back.
And you’d better hurry up
with the story of this track.
We’ve been friends for ten years!
They all know the tale.
If you didn’t know me,
you’d be sat in jail.
You’re looking at me
like this is a betrayal...
I guess it’s time to bail.
You're being beamed up by aggressive aliens and they're plugging in the anal probe
"Oh, God. Okay. I say: *shrug* [...] I'd be like, 'I don't know how this works. Put a condom on that thing. *shrug*'"
Dan Howell, 5/10/18 Try new things..?
Ataraxia25
flower crown
Pronouns: they/them

i cant wait
:gayaf:
knq
lava lamp

omg mockumentary style *_* i'm in love i was not expecting this send help
sonicgreen
woodland creature

Re: removing family compilations. I’m assuming hes having these taken down because of Adrian. I don’t see much malevolence there, besides not wanting his old (negative) opinions out there and easily accessible. If he didn’t like many compilation vidoes, I feel like he would have claimed them sooner? He knows they exist.
Buddahbug
phillion/danosaur <//3

itasca00 wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:33 pm
Buddahbug wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:06 pm
Phil also says they've been friends for ten years in a scripted part of Interactive Introverts:
From his diss track (source):
Shut up, Dan!
This piano is whack.
People like the rap,
so Philly is back.
And you’d better hurry up
with the story of this track.
We’ve been friends for ten years!
They all know the tale.
If you didn’t know me,
you’d be sat in jail.
You’re looking at me
like this is a betrayal...
I guess it’s time to bail.
I see, thanks for the clarification 😀
hello9217
flower crown

Why do people think these have any connection to Adrian? Genuine question. I watched them a year ago but if I remember correctly they both were about his parents and never mentioned Adrian. If I had to guess I would say that he's grown closer to his mom and doesn't want those videos out there since they may not reflect how he feels now. I feel safe saying this considering lately he's mentioned her more, even said her name, and seems to talk about her positively. I don't really see how this could be connected to Adrian.
fieldoflovers
living flop

hello9217 wrote: Tue Sep 25, 2018 11:47 pm Why do people think these have any connection to Adrian? Genuine question. I watched them a year ago but if I remember correctly they both were about his parents and never mentioned Adrian. If I had to guess I would say that he's grown closer to his mom and doesn't want those videos out there since they may not reflect how he feels now. I feel safe saying this considering lately he's mentioned her more, even said her name, and seems to talk about her positively. I don't really see how this could be connected to Adrian.
Based on what Dan's said about his mum and the internet its likelier for Adrian, who is occupying a space on youtube now to stumble across or be recommended one of these videos. Dan, is quite private and his family is too and I can only imagine how strange it would be to have videos online of your sibling revealing family dynamics. My family is also very much like that and even if Dan doesn't say anything super bad it might be considered "dirty laundry" by them.

I'm still really curious to see whether Dan will respond in any way to Adrian's yt channel. idk whether he knew about it before but being home, he''ll be online more and probably see the videos or instagram or something. I don't expect him to directly address it or anything but maybe he'd like a photo on insta? idk why i care so much abt this but it's interesting