Dan & Phil Part 57: Pinky and the Brain

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
citizen_erased
truth bomb

I was about to give up and go to sleep, but guess I'm staying online for another 12 minutes then to watch this video.

edit: I don't usually complain about being on top of the page but I'm making an exception for this time, because WHYYYYY.
alch
ar·tic·u·late
Pronouns: she/her

this is a really nice video, it's interesting to hear about his side of him that we've never heard about, especially that all of this only started a few years ago, and that he's been seeing a therapist.

plus the little Phil compilation at the end is cute.
Last edited by alch on Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
greatnessflicker
cheeky #spon

I'm very proud of him, my heart is full of warmth for how brave he is for sharing something so personal, but why these edits that obscure part of his hands?

edit: ohhh wait, never mind, he's trying to illustrate "the sun" (first) is being "eclipsed" (second edit). haha, sorry for being dense.
SquishPhan
capita£ester

That was such a good video, imo. And I'm so proud of him. <3 :respekt2: <3

The little bloopers at the end of the vid were cute.
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

The video was SO GOOD. And Dan was so well-spoken and candid.

I'm speechless tbh.
quercussp
living flop

I loved this video so much and it made me so happy when he said that he is better now. I really appreciate him sharing his journey and I love how he did it without romanticizing it, but also with the message that it will get better. And even the little tit bits of information we have about him really show how much better he is now and I'm so glad and so grateful.

Also the Phil parts were really cute and I guess we now know that Phil can make a great bubble bath.

I'm going to go rewatch this video and then cry, don't mind me. My heart is literally bursting with affection for Dan right now. <3
annabanana
sofa crease

That was such a good video. I'm so happy that he is in a good enough place to be able to share his story. I think he did a great job of including little bits of humor here and there, but really keeping the focus on his message and journey.
Have a red velvet cupcake and for fucks sake, dip some toast in your soup. Bye.
000dia000
emo goose

This video was unbelievable, he shared so much, he's gone through a lot and he just illustrated it so well. I'm sorry I ever doubted him and thought he would just make something generic. I don't really have anything intelligent or observant to say, I think people should just watch the video. I think it's something to be experienced, rather than spoken about and picked apart.
:cactus:
dontpanic
#relatable

That was a lovely video, I'm so impressed how he was able to tackle such a heavy topic while still making the video fit in with his usual DINOF style. I have so much to say but I'm late to a dinner ugh.
parallel
phabergé

Okay, some thoughts I've typed up as I watch.
  • Dan's being so open here. I'm so proud of him for talking about it this personally—I could never talk about what mental illness is like for me unless it was with a professional. Most certainly I wouldn't talk about my childhood or how I feel daily to millions and I'm so, so proud of him.
  • Phil must have been helping Dan film those skits <3
  • Dan's Reddit is /u/danisnotonfire confirmed. He's also subscribed to /r/surrealmemes. Amazing.
  • I'm so proud of him for sharing that he has a therapist and took antidepressants. Now I wonder if he sees a private therapist or one on the NHS? I'm assuming private since he can afford it and the NHS is pretty underfunded right now.
<3
Ablissa
pastel persona

I was looking forward to this video, and I thought I'd have a lot of thoughts to share on it, considering that I relate to the subject so much.
But I don't. However, it's the first Dan video that legit made me cry.

It was perfect and I wouldn't change a thing. Dan, if you ever lurk, thank you.
bluebox-away
woodland creature

rizzo wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:41 pm The video was SO GOOD. And Dan was so well-spoken and candid.

I'm speechless tbh.
Life once again has really gotten in the way but I dropped everything when I saw this uploaded. Exactly how you put it - candid and well-spoken, this was such a great video. An important message, with good information and a nice touch of jokes/sketches too. Love a bit of Phil cam too tbh.
On the whole I’m just glad he’s clearly in a good enough place to be open about this, getting help and therapy and everything.
06/04/2016 - I found The Weakest Link :ninja:
Gif credit: IckleMissMayhem
saffarinda
truth bomb

I cried like 5 times throughout that video. Honestly had a good think about how much Dan has changed over the past few years, paticularly with what he shares with his audience and how he approaches topics. I think that video was the most open and honest he’s ever been with the internet and I respect him so much for that. He did a great job of keeping the balance between serious discussion and humour.

It made me love Dan so much more simply due to him using his influence for good. I’m certain it could help a lot of depressed people who are debating therapy/anti-depressants due to the stigma surrounding them gain the courage or confidence to take the first steps into at least looking into them considering the fact that Dan - who could be a role model in some people’s eyes - decided to make that choice as well.

Just a great video, wonderful job.
25/04/2017 - #blessed
Evening42
dank meme

I really like this video. It was thoughtfully done and he was brave to share his story in depth. I’m glad he’s recovering too as it’s a tough journey. He is so correct about self care being important. As someone struggling with occasional depression but not seeking help, I’m going to use some of the ideas he shared. Well done Dan
onetruetrash
blobfish

This video was so good. I'm proud of him for uploading that.
freesocks
spork

Wow. I was really impressed by this video. I have been unhappy with his content for quite some time. I felt it lacked a genuineness that many of his older videos had and he seemed like he wasn't enjoying what he was doing. I was also one of the people who was very hesitant when he said he was making this video, but I think he handled it beautifully. This video makes me really hopeful and excited for the content that is yet to come. I think it was quite brave of him to share his experiences and I am so happy that he showed that he does have friends and goes outside and dropped the persona so he could be a good role model for his younger audience that might be struggling with similar issues. I hope he realizes that he is more relatable when he stops trying to be #relatable. I am sure it is not a video that I will be watching over and over because the topic is quite heavy, but that wasn't the point of the video. The point was to raise awareness and encourage his audience to seek out help if they need it and realize that they are not alone and even their heroes struggle sometimes. He definitely succeeded. For the first time in a long time, I am looking forward to seeing what Dan does next.
mathsniel
drama llama
Pronouns: he/him

I'm so, so happy that he stuck with his personal experience and that he very clearly stated, multiple times, that he's not an expert. This probably sounds a bit weird, but I'm also so, so happy it focused on three main things - what depression is, how it affects him, and his recovery. It wasn't romanticised, but it wasn't sad or glum either. There wasn't focus on why he developed it, what he went through. I just really appreciate that.
Also! I loved that he was actually specific about therapy, about antidepressants (and the fact it takes normally takes forever to get to a point that they work for you). He dropped the branding about not exercising, not going outside, being anti social for it, which was nice.
Just. Yeah. Good video, Dan. :thanks:

Unrelated, he's subscribed to r/surrealmemes, and this makes me so very happy for some reason.
obscureDnPreference
procrastinator
Pronouns: she/her/hers

I'm really proud of him. I started crying in the middle and I can't really tell why.

I never usually have the words I want to express how I feel and right now it's worse than usual. I'm just really proud and thankful that he chose to share.
"This is not children's television. I'm 26, I'm depressed, and I need edgy jokes to cope with my anxiety."
Daniel Howell, 10/30/17
nigel ratburn
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

i'm so blown away by the video, holy cow. i recently came clean to the people in my life about my own mental health issues, so i appreciate how much thought probably went into making this. nothing that i worried about ended up being a problem. it was so genuine and lovely and GAH i am just very, very fond of daniel. :love2: :love2:
missemma
#teamshavedsides
#teamshavedsides

Dan and Phil rarely make me feel emotional, but for the first time I actually do feel very emotional, and also very proud.

I’ll admit, I was a bit worried about what he would upload, not because I thought it would be bad, but because I was worried he would cover up with “im joking, it’s a joke, im a joke”.
He uploaded something that was so honest and so open with us it’s made me kinda speechless. All I know is that I am very proud of Dan and as cringe as it sounds, I just want him to know how much I respect him for that video. I feel like a proud mum!

*insert 18383939383838393749003 pink trashcans*
:prideheart: :gayaf: :prideheart:
dailybooth
glabella
Pronouns: She/Her

lovely video and just what I was expecting from him, too - sharing his personal experience while still managing to make me laugh; the popcorn scene cracked me up.

It also made me reflect on my own mental health, past and present. (The way he described a hole, leaving without telling anyone, etc. mirrored my experience of being in the closet/depressed in my younger years. On that note, happy national coming out day! :prideflag: - coming out changed, maybe even saved, my life)

Also, I was so extra proud of Dan taking about his experience with meds. Even if the general stigma around MI is less today, I feel like the stigma around being medicated/talking about medication is still tremendous.
Last edited by dailybooth on Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:lion: :prideflag:
rowlet
smol bean

pulling myself out of lurking in the shadows once again just because i have so many feelings and need to express them. wow. that was definitely a Video™️

i wasn't expecting to have such an intense reaction to it but i genuinely found the first minute or so really hard to watch, like i literally had to keep pausing to take a breather because i was getting so emotional?! dan just really has this amazing way of connecting with people through a camera and making everything sort of feel....safe when you're watching him. we've gotten to watch him change and develop as a person over time and grow into the truly amazing individual he is today and this video really felt like something important and some kind of milestone almost for him and i couldn't be prouder or happier. he handled everything so tactfully and sincerely and managed to give it comedic elements without taking away from the seriousness of the message in a way i don't think many other youtubers could pull off. god.... i can't believe i'm this emotional over dani snot on fire but he genuinely really is such a good egg and i wish him all the best in life because i really feel like he deserves it.

my own mental health has been in a super bad place recently and i've been avoiding making a doctors appointment and getting back on my meds for weeks now but dan has genuinely inspired me to make that call tomorrow morning so. i guess i liked the video a lil bit idk it was okay :shrug:
thestigdrivesamini
sad dimple

That was an incredible video and I'm beyond proud of him. <3 it overjoys me that he's seeing a counselor and encourages seeking professional help! So many posts I see are all about self diagnosis so to see him speak up is phenomenal!

I just wanna give him a massive hug and thank him for being so honest and putting in the effort to make such an important video <3
pastelspectre
stress mushroom
Pronouns: he/him

i have a difficulty of putting my feelings into words as usual, but.. god this video was amazing. a true blessing. i love dan so much and i admire him so much for opening up about something so personal to millions of people. the beginning where he said it was sort of like.. a hole, or something like that...that hit hard, man.

i just really love this video and i'm so glad that he said it gets better without being like...romanticizing or cliche about it, if that makes sense. i'm so glad he opened up about his recovery and that he's been seeing a therapist and how depression affects him. i'm also glad he mentioned that depression affects people differently, which is definitely right.

i just have so much appreciation for him.
:transheart:
zazzed
squish

Wow, what an incredibly well-done video. The honesty was palpable, it maintained a sense of humor without undermining the main message, and was overall really well put together. He obviously put a lot of work into it and i'm so so incredibly proud and enamored with him. Even though I don't have a personal experience with mental illness, this video really moved me. And I think that says a lot.

It just makes me that much more proud of him thinking about TABINOF and how much of a toll that must have sometimes had on his mental health.

I'm just so <3 <3 <3 my heart could combust.