Dan & Phil Part 58: Come in my lady door

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
obvsly
#relatable
Pronouns: she/her

LtrllySusan wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:52 am How likely is it that they frame the dog calendar shooting as a DITL? Or would they rather post it as a "Making of" - which would be a pretty strong but obvious promo. I have the feeling they prefer more integrated advertisement, so I can actually see them doing the dog day as a DITL.
That’s actually my first thought when Phil said he’s filming the shooting of the calendar. I didn’t think it would be a stand alone video at all. But now I’m not so sure. I think DITL videos are always meant to be just that: a day in their normal lives, and not one to promote specific thing. I think it might come out more kind of like the making of tabinof. And now I’m sad coz that might mean they would not have one this year. They have been very good to us lately though so I would still hope for it. Fingers crossed.

By the way, does anyone know if there would be bonca awards this year? It has been quite quiet, hasn’t it? Wouldn’t there have been announcements of nominations and voting by now if it’s supposed to be on?
captainspacecoat
stress mushroom

I'm keeping my expectations low for the dog video, and expecting a 5ish minute video on LAP. I will be very happy to be proved wrong and for it to be a longer video along the lines of The Making of TABINOF (although obviously not on such a grand, sentimental scale) but I can't deal with disappointment so I'm not getting my hopes up. Should be pretty great either way, any content involving dogs is great as far as I'm concerned!
obvsly wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:34 am By the way, does anyone know if there would be bonca awards this year? It has been quite quiet, hasn’t it? Wouldn’t there have been announcements of nominations and voting by now if it’s supposed to be on?
I don't know for sure, but my guess is that it's not going to happen this year. I feel like we would have heard about nominations by now, or at least there would have been an indication that it's happening again. Maybe they couldn't get the funding together?
blackdenim
procrastinator

captainspacecoat wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:12 pm I'm keeping my expectations low for the dog video, and expecting a 5ish minute video on LAP. I will be very happy to be proved wrong and for it to be a longer video along the lines of The Making of TABINOF (although obviously not on such a grand, sentimental scale) but I can't deal with disappointment so I'm not getting my hopes up. Should be pretty great either way, any content involving dogs is great as far as I'm concerned!
obvsly wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:34 am By the way, does anyone know if there would be bonca awards this year? It has been quite quiet, hasn’t it? Wouldn’t there have been announcements of nominations and voting by now if it’s supposed to be on?
I don't know for sure, but my guess is that it's not going to happen this year. I feel like we would have heard about nominations by now, or at least there would have been an indication that it's happening again. Maybe they couldn't get the funding together?
Their website hasn't been updated for 2017, and they haven't tweeted since last year, so I'm guessing it won't be going ahead this year.
Stakhanov
haru pillow
Pronouns: he / him

citizen_erased wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:25 am Also, since I already wasn't interested in tatinof and there's approx. 0 chance they'd visit my side of the country (and with the state of our public transport I wouldn't be able to go home after an evening show if I did go to Amsterdam or wherever they might ostensibly go), so I'm just going to go and brace myself for inevitable disappointment. :shrug:
Yea that's the downside. If it's going to be some UK/US only tour again, it will probably just mean less video's for everybody else. And their main channels aren't already overflowing with content :sideeye:

The dog video isn't really interesting to me. Just seeing them play with puppies doesn't do the trick for me. It's provide some nice cutesey pictures of Dan and Phil holding dogs I imagine. Same with the dog calendar. But I imagine it's nice if you're into that sort of fluff :tu: That's the third recent video about dogs, after the video with Kat and counting Phil's video with Anthony.

It's funny to me how they are using dogs as part of the merchandising, making video's about it, talking about it... doing everything except actually getting a dog :mrgreen: Maybe some day, but that "some day" has been talked about for years now ;)
If they really wanted a dog, they could have taken that wish into account when they were moving. It's not like they don't have options/money. They could even just get a dogsitter when they are away. Idk going by the fact that they could have had a dog by now if they really wanted to, i'm thinking they don't really want a dog that badly

I loved the liveshow, I like his youtube liveshows better than the younow ones, especially if he holds the camera close. It was just to short :number1: !
Finding my own inarticulate prose
Weirding out strangers and laughing at those
Jaundiced and jaded, postured and posed
Not that we’re special it’s just that we’re
Closing in on a place where we might get to be
Living real people regularly
citizen_erased
truth bomb

Stakhanov wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:28 pm
citizen_erased wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:25 am Also, since I already wasn't interested in tatinof and there's approx. 0 chance they'd visit my side of the country (and with the state of our public transport I wouldn't be able to go home after an evening show if I did go to Amsterdam or wherever they might ostensibly go), so I'm just going to go and brace myself for inevitable disappointment. :shrug:
Yea that's the downside. If it's going to be some UK/US only tour again, it will probably just mean less video's for everybody else. And their main channels aren't already overflowing with content :sideeye:
Yeah, plus I'm not sure what happened around the time of tatinof (because I just ignored a lot of it honestly), but often when people go on tour that's all they'll talk about too, which is on one hand understandable but on the other hand so incredibly annoying.
The dog video isn't really interesting to me. Just seeing them play with puppies doesn't do the trick for me. It's provide some nice cutesey pictures of Dan and Phil holding dogs I imagine. Same with the dog calendar. But I imagine it's nice if you're into that sort of fluff :tu: That's the third recent video about dogs, after the video with Kat and counting Phil's video with Anthony.

I'm 100% into that kind of fluff, I love it already and I haven't even seen anything yet. But to be fair, I'm mostly into it for the dogs and I care way, way less about the boys.
It's funny to me how they are using dogs as part of the merchandising, making video's about it, talking about it... doing everything except actually getting a dog :mrgreen: Maybe some day, but that "some day" has been talked about for years now ;)
If they really wanted a dog, they could have taken that wish into account when they were moving. It's not like they don't have options/money. They could even just get a dogsitter when they are away. Idk going by the fact that they could have had a dog by now if they really wanted to, i'm thinking they don't really want a dog that badly
I'm not sure about that to be honest. From what I've heard, the London housing market is an absolute disaster regardless of your budget, and pets and cities don't always go that well together. A lot of landlords don't allow pets in buildings, and if the housing market is already incredibly terrible and fast-paced, it can be difficult to add in yet another factor to keep in mind while searching. Not to mention that, yes, they could get a dogsitter, but with the amount of times D&P are gone or busy it just wouldn't be responsible imo. Dogs need a lot of time and attention and love, and I think it's worth it to wait a bit longer to really have everything settled down and have your own place with enough space and no annoying landlords before getting a dog.
dae
dank meme
Pronouns: They/them

GUYS GUYS GUYS HOLY SHIT THEY ARE DOING ANOTHER TOUR "October 31st" THAT WAS YESTERDAY IM LOSING MY SHIT :o :o :o http://www.bizdb.co.uk/company/dp-touring-llp-OC419719/
"Accept that you don't really have to know everything and why"
sunshinias
spork

dae wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:46 pm GUYS GUYS GUYS HOLY SHIT THEY ARE DOING ANOTHER TOUR "October 31st" THAT WAS YESTERDAY IM LOSING MY SHIT :o :o :o http://www.bizdb.co.uk/company/dp-touring-llp-OC419719/
We've been talking about that since after Dan's live show yesterday :lol:

I think most of us are just excited haha

Edit: Oh hey I'm a sin-pai/senpai now! Glad I'm not crusty anymore..
:sunshine: ~let in a little sunshine~ :sunshine:
dae
dank meme
Pronouns: They/them

sunshinias wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:12 pm
dae wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:46 pm GUYS GUYS GUYS HOLY SHIT THEY ARE DOING ANOTHER TOUR "October 31st" THAT WAS YESTERDAY IM LOSING MY SHIT :o :o :o http://www.bizdb.co.uk/company/dp-touring-llp-OC419719/
We've been talking about that since after Dan's live show yesterday :lol:

I think most of us are just excited haha

Edit: Oh hey I'm a sin-pai/senpai now! Glad I'm not crusty anymore..
Just went back and saw someone already posted about it i feel really embarassed now haha
"Accept that you don't really have to know everything and why"
liola
rankussy

The rumour about them possibly making their own convention has been around since Dan talked about how expensive conventions are, so I'm not that surprised. However I do wonder what this touring will be about and where exactly they'll go. I wasn't that interested in tatinof and anyway I couldn't travel to see them at the time and I doubt they'll ever come here. And I also don't have fandom friends lol

But hey I'm excited for whatever is coming! And also dogs <3 I'm still hoping for a DITL but I'll be good with puppy playing. And if there's even one mention of what their future dog will be like I'm gonna deactivate :garbage:

Also..that totally looks like Phil's TV in the reflection of the moon mirror. I'm sure it's just a coincidence like Phil's mirror in Dan's room..And his shoes..And the straightener :lol:
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
thestigdrivesamini
sad dimple

RE: tour/ convention talk- I think a format like Zoella did at Playlist Live one year would work pretty well (not really a fan of her anymore but it was still a good idea)

Basically, there was a big convention room with several round tables. Fans sat in groups and got to talk to other people in the community while waiting for a turn to have their meet up experience. It's more intimate and less assembly line.

I linked the vlog if anyone is interested (on my mobile, so if it shows up weird feel free to fix it) starts around the 9 minute mark.
Last edited by alittledizzy on Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fixed youtube embed
Kimship
glabella

thestigdrivesamini wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:33 pm Basically, there was a big convention room with several round tables. Fans sat in groups and got to talk to other people in the community while waiting for a turn to have their meet up experience. It's more intimate and less assembly line.
Wow, that's actually a really nice way to do a Meet & Greet! And if you don't oversell tickets, you can give a good amount of time to each table, so no one feels overly rushed.
blackdenim
procrastinator

Kimship wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:51 pm
thestigdrivesamini wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:33 pm Basically, there was a big convention room with several round tables. Fans sat in groups and got to talk to other people in the community while waiting for a turn to have their meet up experience. It's more intimate and less assembly line.
Wow, that's actually a really nice way to do a Meet & Greet! And if you don't oversell tickets, you can give a good amount of time to each table, so no one feels overly rushed.
I actually went to a M&G a bit like this for McFly in 2011 haha and it was really nice. Basically each of them stood in a different corner of the room with a different group for like 15 mins at a time and then swapped, so you got to hang out with each one of them (and a group of about 10 other people) for 15 mins at a time. It worked really well. I can definitely see this as a good option for D&P and probably less stressful for them than the constant 'Hi, you look nice. Shall I take the selfie because I have long arms? Thanks for the present it was nice to meet you!" for hours at a time.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Kimship wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:51 pm
Not overselling the tickets is definitely going to be necessary, but with that comes all the other things fans throw absolute tantrums over - because either it's gonna be a bloodbath with them being affordable and snatched up instantly, or they're gonna price to limit demand and most fans won't be able to afford them and be offended.

Unless Dan and Phil intend on holding a convention that is actually just two days of them meeting every single fan in any number of cities and countries across the world at a reasonable price while also keeping up regular video content it's gonna end in angry people somehow. Their job is just to figure out how to minimize that most.

(But I still would love if they did something like the table meet and greets. I remember doing those at Lord of the Ring and Farscape fandom conventions, it was usually a brunch scenario so there'd be a continental breakfast bar and we'd sneak in champagne to top off the orange juice and entertain ourselves while we waiting on the celebs to come around... plus, it's super easy to lowkey film them talking just by setting your camera on the table at the right angle and hitting record.)
Kimship
glabella

There's always the lottery system for tickets? It's disappointing if you don't get them, but it doesn't feel unfair since it's such an equalizer. Of course some people are always going to get angry, but that could work to keep hurt feelings to a minimum.

Not that they're necessarily doing something like this. It could be just a lower-key stage event or something. Or maybe they'll do that live gaming thing I've seen some people suggest to them.
LtrllySusan
lava lamp

Would Dan and Phil really go for chit-chat-based events? I feel like their past con attendances have always had a filter when it came to audience interaction (have they ever had a Q&A panel with an open mic?) - I guess it's to avoid uncomfortable questions. There are M&Gs, of course, but they are mostly about "How are you/Do you want a photo/Have a nice day", aren't they? IDK if I can see Dan and Phil sitting down on tables with people who probably just all wanna ask the phan-question. I wouldn't see myself go to an event like that; I think I'd die from second-hand embarassement.
hello9217
flower crown

Stakhanov wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:28 pm
I really doubt that it would be UK/US based because when Dan has been talking about it he keeps mentioning places that him and Phil haven't been before-Russia, Manilla, Brazil- are all places that he mentioned that he has explicitly said that they both want to visit and recognize that they have fans there. He also wants to do one in UK as well considering they haven't in 2 years but I believe they realize that more people from other countries want to meet them.
allsaintshowell
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

my pipe dream for whatever they're planning is a bunch of panel-type talks where they have discussions about media, what youtube means for traditional media, how the youtube career model is creating a whole new industry, etc. basically just a chance for me to geek out about media studies with them. can you tell i'm a media major and i find youtube fascinating?

i doubt they're going to do anything like tatinof again in their life. i can see more of a dapgose event style tour, though, where they share funny tidbits and stories without the pressure of a full-on stage production.
Image Image
Stakhanov
haru pillow

LtrllySusan wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:31 pm Would Dan and Phil really go for chit-chat-based events? I feel like their past con attendances have always had a filter when it came to audience interaction (have they ever had a Q&A panel with an open mic?) - I guess it's to avoid uncomfortable questions. There are M&Gs, of course, but they are mostly about "How are you/Do you want a photo/Have a nice day", aren't they? IDK if I can see Dan and Phil sitting down on tables with people who probably just all wanna ask the phan-question. I wouldn't see myself go to an event like that; I think I'd die from second-hand embarassement.
I would love a one-on-one conversation with them that goes beyond and handshake and "can i take a picture" "Is PhAn ReAl lolz?" I don't see how that's would be even practically possible though. If you take a 5 min "speed dating" format, just seeing 100 people one-on one at an event would take more than 8 hours of intensive talking, without breaks. Some kind of casual interview would be more feasible. They could have done that instead of the first tatinof UK too though. It would have required less people, effort, and risk. But they wanted to do a show. That's why I think they'll want to go to the public with something more than chit-chat. They claim that they are awkward in conversation too so I imagine they wouldn't really like to engage that way either.
It's fun to guess what they might have in store but as pointed out already the company registration doesn't even have to mean that it's about something they are organizing. IRL digital sells t-shirts of Dean and Crabstickz too after all. And now they even license out their shirts to Hot Topic. Maybe they do want to monetize the experience they've built up doing their own tours, maybe there's some kind of tax/financial reason that right now makes it interesting to register a new company, or maybe they are finally coming to brazil with a stunning new variety show full of exotic dance, cake scenes and intense audience interaction. Who knows :ribena:
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

LtrllySusan wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:31 pm Would Dan and Phil really go for chit-chat-based events? I feel like their past con attendances have always had a filter when it came to audience interaction (have they ever had a Q&A panel with an open mic?) - I guess it's to avoid uncomfortable questions. There are M&Gs, of course, but they are mostly about "How are you/Do you want a photo/Have a nice day", aren't they? IDK if I can see Dan and Phil sitting down on tables with people who probably just all wanna ask the phan-question. I wouldn't see myself go to an event like that; I think I'd die from second-hand embarassement.
To be honest in all my years of attention conventions and doing table meet and greets, almost no one ever asks any questions that would ruin their 'moment' with the celebrity. People willing to pay a lot of money for that experience just want to walk away with something that stands out to them, plus if it's a table of 8-10 people generally there's enough time for a 'hi, how are you, where are you from' to everyone and you gotta really hope someone else doesn't want to take all 4-5 minutes that you get with them for one epic story.

Open mic panels are a little more dangerous but it's very, very easy to moderate the a q&a just by doing a DAPGOOSE style where fans write their questions down when they come into the room, then quickly have someone shuffle through and take out the bad ones.
autumnhearth
senpai

Missed the ls yesterday for trick or treating. My son was a cat this year, complete with sharpie drawn whiskers, a cat ear headband (that he wants to wear everywhere) and umm a buffalo check shirt...

Since Halloween traditions were brought up a couple days ago, I just thought I’d share that I personally separate our modern, social, commercialized Halloween traditions from the spiritual rituals of Samhain. Our family will be going to a drudic ceremony on Sunday to honor the ancestors. I don’t really go in for the creepy displays and gore, but our neighborhood has a nice balance of that and people sitting around a portable fire in their driveways handing out candy to the kids and even offering the adults warm apple cider. :pumpkin:

The ls was short and sweet. Funny that he let the calendar theme slip. I’m excited for the behind the scenes video. I suspect it will be under ten mins. But bring on the :dogue:

I’m very curious as to what their touring will look like. I probably won’t partake, but at the very least I’m pleased at the prospect of more Instagram pics and DITL potentials. Good for them. :ribena:

I don’t think their YT Rewind segment will be In A Heartbeat. :love1:
One I don’t think the mention of hanging out under a tree meant anything to the context of the filming, only the boomerang. Plus all the reasons mentioned by others. But I’m curious about who they will get to act that bit out and how it will be done.

I’m now pretty convinced that the moon room is below the formal lounge where ls often are. I just have no idea how the rest of the apartment with the white tile flooring and dark doors connect to it. :shrug:

Oh and I got the husband to watch this year’s Halloween baking (he’s not really a fan of the general idea of spooky baking) as a palate cleanser after finally watching them play Outlast 2. He cracked up more than I did. So that’s nice. I still have a soft spot for 2014-2016 Halloween baking as they were the first three D&P videos I watched.
Stakhanov
haru pillow

Your son looks adorable :D

Dan and Phil as the couple in "In a heartbeat" ? Don't see it happening at all. Don't think they would feel comfortable with it. This reminds me of the fans wanting to see them wear nail polish and pastel clothes. Except that I don't seem them indulging in this level of phan service :lol:
It's the way some fans look at their content, but not how they like to look at their content themselves.
pastelspectre
stress mushroom
Pronouns: he/him

if they do another tour or something, i'll be disappointed if it's in the UK mostly because i don't live there :/ that's just me being bitter though
:transheart:
Ewok
rainbow nerd

blueapple_x wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:47 am
Ewok wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:43 am I rewatched Dan's ls earlier while waiting around for trick or treaters and noticed we got a little peek into the opposite side of the moon room. Idk if this is old news already, or if we were all distracted by the dog calendar and tour theories.
Dan has really pretty wrists wtf A wardrobe(?), tv/computer monitor, shelf, are those brown lines curtains?

Probs a reach bc they're millionaires and could absolutely buy a different tv to put in here, but does it look like the tv from Phil's old room to anyone else? That's where my mind went. :shrug: Or Dan's iMac? I thought his iMac was in his separate filming space and gaming computer in the slounge? (Jesus fuck theyve got so many computers, I really can't keep up so I have no clue what this is lol)

Have we seen that media center from Phil's old room in another spot in their new flat or am I making that up too? I could have sworn I saw it someplace else :hmmm:
Sorry for weird formatting / shit pictures I'm on mobile.
Lol I thought it was a tv too the first time I saw it in a previous liveshow but it actually seems to be the weird shelving unit/cupboard thing seen at 9:46 in his depression vid.
Oh there's his GW2 shrine. Good catch! It still looks too large / rectangular to be that Kanye vinyl though, imo. But then I don't know if that tv would fit on that little shelf either. :lol: Guess I'll never know.

RE: Touring - A second tour probably wouldn't come near me considering they spent so much time here in the US with tatinof. I'm not really a tour or M&G person, anyways. I feel like I'd be super awkward and anxious around them! Unless it were panel style as mentioned already - that would be lovely. Sit and watch my faves talk and interact and then run far the hell away from meeting them :rofl: I get the feeling they wouldn't do that, though it'd be nice.

RE: Calendar - is the dog calendar supposedly coming out today or did I misread? I've never bought YTer merch in my life but... deppy with dogs is really tempting, ngl. Then when should we expect the vlog? A few days after? What the hell is up with all this consistent content? I'm dying and can't keep up with anything, the last week feels like a blur lol :love2:
»»-————𝓯𝓵𝓸𝓹𝓹𝔂 𝓭𝓲𝓷𝓰 𝓭𝓸𝓷𝓰————-««
parallel
phabergé

Re: TV, I don't see it? I'm confused, what are we talking about haha

Re: tour, I would love a table meet-and-greet tbh. And if it's for other YTers to do M&Gs ethically/well/whatever, that's nice of them too!
obvsly
#relatable

autumnhearth, your son is super cute!!! :love2:

I'm very excited to see how their tour would turn out even though there's no chance in hell they will come to Thailand. (Even if they would venture outside UK/US, I'd probably have to travel to Singapore or the Philippines to see them.) I hope they could come up with a new format that can please most of their audience, or at least one that seems fair enough to everybody. It might sound quite impossible but I have faith in them. I believe they have shown that they are smart enough to surround themselves with the right people.

Anyway, release the calendar already, boys! I wanna see the dogs!!!