Dan & Phil Part 59: the literal other half

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
mathsniel
drama llama
Pronouns: he/him

On the lines of the "share with the world" line, did anyone else think that sounded a bit weird? It implies whatever is going to be shared is something not just for fans, but for the world/people as a whole. Maybe it's me reading into it, but that phrasing just bothers me somewhat.
Surely "share with you guys" would be more applicable if it's a tour for viewers and fans, even a worldwide tour?

Edit: Oh great top of the page. :facepalm2:
tyhane
delia smith
Pronouns: she/her

I'm not really sure how to articulate this, but I see a good amount of people on various platforms that think that Dan purposefully phrased it in that way to build hype (for a tour/merch announcement). Or to "troll" us, etc. But if that's true, isn't that kind of... uh... bad? Like, I'm just thinking of it from a perspective of the people that are under the impression that they're queerbaiting/shipbaiting/etc. Phrasing something in a way that hypes people up for a coming out video purposefully to build hype for a professional endeavor just seems like the very definition of what people accuse them of. :rofl:

To be 100% clear, I don't think he's/they're doing that. Rather, it just makes me think that it was more of an accident/poor choice of words. Especially how he seemed to get weirdly defensive when someone asked if it was them getting a dog and asked what that had to do with graphic design. I mean the whole show was kind of a rambly mess and even started on the wrong channel, lol.
fancybum
senpai

:lion: Phil and Misc Watch 2017 :cactus:
Daniel’s Guide to Doggos (Nov 7, 2017)

Prompted Phil Mention
18:12 (chat) pinof 9
“Oh, pinof, that’s a thing. phil is not on fire. Towards the end, maybe the middle, of November every year”
“I can smell the sharpies in the air”

20:15 (chat) What happened to the stuff on danandphilshop
“We put a sale on everything, so if something’s gone, it might be gone gone”
“If you care about Dan and Phil merch, there’s a sale”

26:13 (chat) Are you changing “pinof” to “Phil Howell” bc of rebranding
“No! Why do people keep saying this?”
Unprompted Phil Mention
:sleepypuppy:
Neutral Phil Mention
1:25 “We did the whole of spooky week on DanAndPhilGAMES, uploaded that baking, and I got really into the season”

2:35 (about llama text from his mum) “So yep, just when you least expect it, me trying to run away from my old branding, trying to pretend that none of the cringe 2010-11 humour was ever a thing in our lives, your parents are there to just remind you of that. Honestly—where did—what- why would my mum think to even say that? You know what I think it is, I think it’s ‘cause we took our families to come see tatinof in London back in Dec 2015, and the whole point of the first Dan and Phil stage show was to talk about/celebrate the history of Dan and Phil through ironic jokes and talking about how cringe it was, but I don’t think they knew that”

4:05 “So this thing happened, the Dan and Phil and Dogs calendar and we uploaded a video about it”
“Did you see the video on Phil’s channel? Even if you’re not a Dan and Phil content supporter, there’s just a lot of dogs in this video. So even if you hate me, you hate Phil, you hate Dan and Phil, anything to do with our content is trash, there’s a video on youtube.com/amazingphil that’s just incredible”

5:05 “You don’t have to get merch. In the list of things that are important in life, they’re the least important. Enjoy our free YT videos together, don’t give a shit about ever buying merch. Unless you need a calendar and you want it, and that’s fine, so don’t think I’m pressuring you to spend money, okay, because no.”

8:35 “So I don’t know how, but half of these dogs— Phil’s brother, Martyn, he just knows loads of people that have dogs”
(chat) Martyn is cool
“He is cool, he’s like a genuinely cool person”

9:08 “How iconic is this? Interior Designer Dan and Phil”

9:30 “You don’t have to get merch, but if you do want to appreciate some incredible content, just check out the video on Phil’s channel, ‘cause it’s probably the best, purest thing that we have to contribute to the internet, probably forever.”

15:50 “So the next video on DAPG, we’ve been waiting for a certain expansion to a certain game”
“I don’t know if we’ll be able to do it this week, maybe it’ll be next week. We might do another gaming video and then this one [while waiting for the expansion] and there’s a couple things happening around this weekend. But we’ll let you know”

25:35 (chat) any big news on pinof this year?
“[just that it’s happening]”
“But we got something else to get out of the way this month, something that we’ve been meaning to talk about for a long time, that we’ve finally decided to share with the world. So I hope you look forward to that, some top graphic design indeed.”
-this is how he talks about literally everything, he'll be saying "is the world ready for it?" about ISG 13, calm the flip down (who am I telling to calm down? him or the audience? YOU decide)

26:20 (responding to something in chat) “No, we haven’t got a dog, how would a dog involve graphic design, what are you saying?”
-annoyed people are thinking it’s in any way a personal thing, soo there you go, maybe go ahead and extrapolate that as you will.

28:35 (“”,,chat,,””) So what else are you up to this week?
“Well, other than the thing, we’ve been talking about how we want to see you, how we haven’t seen you for awhile in lots of places”
“Last week I was saying that, Phil and I, we would love to go to some of the places that you guys are from that we haven’t been to yet” [but he meant in addition to places they’ve already previously visited so clam it down]

29:45 “But let’s just say Phil and I are very excited and you’ll find out more on Friday. And I’ll leave Phil to somehow do a liveshow with everybody asking questions on Thursday”
“See you later, look forward to some Dan content, some Phil content, some gaming channels”
-cool I’ve heard good things about that jacksepticeye channel
Miscellaneous
19:55 “Maybe it’s time I do another anime list, maybe I need to do a couple more”
-and maybe we’ll get those right after we get the candle haul

21:52 “When it comes to music, I don’t really care what genre of music it is as much as I just enjoy people expressing themselves. Like even YTers, it’s not like I love a certain kind of YT video, but the YTers I like the most are just the people that make content that are clearly and authentically expressing themselves a bit”

24:15 (chat) Is it awkward meeting people irl?
“I wouldn’t say it’s awkward. I’m an awkward guy [if you meet me irl] but it’s really nice. I love bumping into people, and any meetups that I’ve ever done at an event or as part of a tour or anything have always been like the highlight of my life and this thing that’s technically my “job”, whatever that means”
-video idea apropos of absolutely nothing: Dan and Phil take lie detector tests
:whiskers: Phinal Tally: said ‘Phil’ 18 times :whiskers:
18/30 mins = 0.60 per min

I had a shitty day so maybe my perspective was already warped going in, but the liveshow seemed the same as ever, he seemed the same as ever. Totally fine, chatty, kind of neutrally antsy in the way he always is. :shrug: :shrug: I think people are just always looking for more than is there. You know who's constantly thinking about and talking about when they're '''finally''' going to 'come out'? The audience. You know who's constantly thinking and talking about actual professional projects and ideas on the horizon? Dan and Phil. So like generally chill your damn beans maybe idk?
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me
alch
ar·tic·u·late

liola wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:11 am Oh, I just saw someone on Twitter suggest a live audience pinof. I doubt it would be exactly that, the beauty of pinof is the randomness and the quick editing, but I'm wondering what else can be done in a tour besides a show or a panel/q&a. A musical? Looking for their forever home in all countries with the help of viewers? Idk but I can't sleep now
I can't really see a live pinof happening. It's all basically filtered to have only the most interesting questions, so they'd have to either use subpar questions or spend eternity looking for good ones.

They'd have to have chosen the questions beforehand, and there's still a lot of editing that goes in to filter out all of their bad reactions or whatever
drearyquery
drama llama

I’m not sure what to expect from Friday but I agree it sounded like something separate from the tour. Then again, I don’t know what else it could be and dan is notoriously vague/misleading during ls rambles. :sideeye:

Anyone else feel like Phil might cancel ls Friday? It usually seems like he doesn’t enjoy the hype and hinting in the same way dan does or any deflecting or questions. I hope not though, it feels like forever since a solo phil ls.
anenergetic
spork

nigel ratburn wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:45 pm i'm trying so hard to lower my expectations bc i KNOW it's probably gonna be the announcement of another tour or something like that but HE KNOWS WHAT HE'S DOING, THE LITTLE SHIT

like, that wording is so weird if it is the tour-- my heart leaped through my esophagus and out of my mouth until he said the graphic design thing.

i'm trying to be

but internally i'm

Mood
gay :prideflag:
anenergetic
spork

rizzo wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:37 pm
bluntedclaws wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2017 10:24 pm Top notch graphic design: Wedding invitations
:rofl:
...I'll let myself out.
lmao imagine if their wedding invites looked like all the rest of their shit: neon comic sans and their faces poorly cut-out and pasted next to it. "much wedding. very celebrate. wow."
amazing
gay :prideflag:
scientia
phabergé

To me the irritating thing is that he one hundred percent would have to know how his words could be interpreted – this is the phandom, after all. And yet he asks why we are “like this” :roll: I guess it just gets old to keep seeing him hype things up when he knows better than most what the outcome will be. But I’ve had my own frustating day so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
casualIDBstalker
drama llama

My question is what can they possibly do on another tour that they didn't cover in Tatinof? With Tatinof they had so much content to put into a tour but in the time since Tatinof, what have they really done that would or could be interesting enough to make into a world tour?
Don't want it to be a "been there done that" kind of tour - in other words, don't bring back Tatinof content.

I can understand them wanting to go to countries they haven't been to before & revisit ones they have but I'm confused as to what they would be doing.

It'll definitely be interesting on Friday.
fancybum
senpai

scientia wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:56 am To me the irritating thing is that he one hundred percent would have to know how his words could be interpreted – this is the phandom, after all. And yet he asks why we are “like this” :roll: I guess it just gets old to keep seeing him hype things up when he knows better than most what the outcome will be. But I’ve had my own frustating day so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
My problem with this is it could apply to so many things. Him saying "I've got an important video coming up" gets people salivating about it being a coming out vid. Does he need to do some kind of disclaimer with every single thing he says, ending it with "...it's not what you're thinking, if what you're thinking is not what I'm saying."
"We've got exciting news to share soon" is a completely vague statement that other people are going to apply their own ideas onto ('omg wedding announcement lo1') when stupid shit like that isn't even on their radar. Because they're talking about work. So people going 'he knows how that sounds' is blegh, because actually yes, he knows what it sounds like to him (especially speaking in a mostly non-scripted live environment) and what that is is actually what he's talking about. Which in this case is the tour thing or merch announcements or who knows what else. Everybody else makes it about phan and then blaming him for it is just that extra step, that cherry on top.
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me
Loafer
sofa crease

fancybum wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:14 am
scientia wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:56 am To me the irritating thing is that he one hundred percent would have to know how his words could be interpreted – this is the phandom, after all. And yet he asks why we are “like this” :roll: I guess it just gets old to keep seeing him hype things up when he knows better than most what the outcome will be. But I’ve had my own frustating day so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
My problem with this is it could apply to so many things. Him saying "I've got an important video coming up" gets people salivating about it being a coming out vid. Does he need to do some kind of disclaimer with every single thing he says, ending it with "...it's not what you're thinking, if what you're thinking is not what I'm saying."
"We've got exciting news to share soon" is a completely vague statement that other people are going to apply their own ideas onto ('omg wedding announcement lo1') when stupid shit like that isn't even on their radar. Because they're talking about work. So people going 'he knows how that sounds' is blegh, because actually yes, he knows what it sounds like to him (especially speaking in a mostly non-scripted live environment) and what that is is actually what he's talking about. Which in this case is the tour thing or merch announcements or who knows what else. Everybody else makes it about phan and then blaming him for it is just that extra step, that cherry on top.
I agree, whatever it is, it sounds like it has been around or in the works for a while. Dan obviously wanted to hype it up, but I don’t think he was trying to imply anything about their personal life. He just has full context of the thing and we don’t, so his words have a different meaning to us than they do to him. I think he made it clear that it was a professional thing (top notch graphic design), so I almost feel bad for him-what a total dan fail moment, to try to hype your audience up for a new thing and instead get them all talking about you coming out and weddings :lol:

(I will happily eat my words if they share something personal but I think it’s highly unlikely)
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

fancybum wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:14 am
He literally said 'graphic design' in the same breath as saying they had something to share, so it's baffling me how far people are going to take half of that sentence of his out of context or reinterpret it to mean something personal. I don't think he was using any kind of specific language to mislead and if he was trying to hype it up he was literally just using the kind of language anyone uses with any kind of professional announcement.

You hit the nail on the head with the 'does he need to make a disclaimer' part. What's happening now, like with what happens every time they make a professional announcement, is that people are more interested in them personally than professionally so that's where their mind is and the assumptions they make - but when they're wrong they'd rather it be because Dan or Phil led them to the wrongness and not because they got there all by themselves.
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

I don't like the unknown. In fact, I really prefer it when we, as a phandom (or sometimes just IDB), guess things ahead of time. In an incredibly unique turn of events, we've barely even got straws to grasp. So here's a list of potential Friday announcements bouncing around in my brain:
  • Tour. For obvious reasons, this is the most likely. Though, in the context of quotes posted earlier, it doesn't really make sense.
  • Rebranding in some way, shape, or form. D&P Shop? DAPG?
  • A podcast? (Because you need graphic design for those logos and things.... right?)
  • A blog/zine. But also lol @ the concept of them keeping up this sort of thing.
  • Wedding invites for Phil and Sabranice.
  • Dan's finally getting his very own fashion line of black t-shirts that are reversible into a weird Phil design.
  • They're releasing a line of greeting cards. (This concept is based off of Carrie Fletcher now selling postcards in her shop.)
  • Both are quitting YouTube, as they've discovered their new passion and have opened a design agency.
  • BBC Documentary on Graphic Design(ers).
That's it. That's all I've got. My brain is out of concepts. Please add on.
apathy
sad dimple

The weirdest part of the statement to me is "we've been meaning to talk about for a long time". Not "wanting" (but couldn't because secret) or "planning" (but had to do things first) or something like that - "meaning" to me implies something that could've happened whenever but they kept putting off for whatever reasons, not something scheduled like a tour setup or with a defined process like merch.

Or he just used an odd word because live & unedited. :shrug:

Also, totally agree that the phandom sets themselves up for their own disappointments 99% of the time. Some occasional friendly trolling for being silly is probably deserved more than we actually get, since I'd guess it's more annoying than amusing from their side.
That's my socializing quota for the month up.
sprikkitty
smol bean

I wasn't able to watch the liveshow, but I've seen a lot about Dan saying something about an anouncement and graphic design. He seems to be hyping this up quite a bit with that kind of wording and saying "tell the world". But if it's just something about graphic design??? who knows.

My personal guess is they're doing a t-shirt or some sort of merch design contest (like hot topic recently did for rick and morty) That actually seems pretty exciting and lets the artists and aspiring artists of the phandom be seen :D :love2: :love2:
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

sprikkitty wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:49 amMy personal guess is they're doing a t-shirt or some sort of merch design contest (like hot topic recently did for rick and morty) That actually seems pretty exciting and lets the artists and aspiring artists of the phandom be seen :D :love2: :love2:
This is such a good guess! And it would also explain the use of the phrase "meaning to" (see: apathy's post), because the first shirt is already out at Hot Topic, so it's technically old news they haven't mentioned. Brilliant catch! :thumb:

And now that I think about it more... it even explains Phil deciding to highlight more fan art on his tumblr. Maybe as a sort of lead-in/introduction to this? :hmmm:
pinof9
first-time poster

casualIDBstalker wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:02 am My question is what can they possibly do on another tour that they didn't cover in Tatinof? With Tatinof they had so much content to put into a tour but in the time since Tatinof, what have they really done that would or could be interesting enough to make into a world tour?
Don't want it to be a "been there done that" kind of tour - in other words, don't bring back Tatinof content.

I can understand them wanting to go to countries they haven't been to before & revisit ones they have but I'm confused as to what they would be doing.

-First time poster so call me out if I do something wrong :shrug: -

If it is a tour, which It might be considering he talked about meeting fans and going to places they hadn't, where will they go with it? Your confusion is shared about this but knowing Dnp I'm sure I'll be pleasantly surprised with their creativity. <3

Sidenote: Isn't a little too early to be touring again? I guess this is my personal opinion but Tatinof was huge and incredibly time consuming. Surely it must take a while longer to kind of recuperate from something like that.
Though this is coming from someone who gets tired after doing a few simple tasks. :sleepypuppy:
I think the low quality gif perfectly sums up me as a person. :napsta:
lefthandedism
simply stressed bisexual
simply stressed bisexual

pinof9 wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:22 am
casualIDBstalker wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:02 am My question is what can they possibly do on another tour that they didn't cover in Tatinof? With Tatinof they had so much content to put into a tour but in the time since Tatinof, what have they really done that would or could be interesting enough to make into a world tour?

-First time poster so call me out if I do something wrong :shrug: -

If it is a tour, which It might be considering he talked about meeting fans and going to places they hadn't, where will they go with it? Your confusion is shared about this but knowing Dnp I'm sure I'll be pleasantly surprised with their creativity. <3

Sidenote: Isn't a little too early to be touring again? I guess this is my personal opinion but Tatinof was huge and incredibly time consuming. Surely it must take a while longer to kind of recuperate from something like that.
Though this is coming from someone who gets tired after doing a few simple tasks. :sleepypuppy:
Hello and :welcome: ! What an apropos username. :D

I would expect that they have recovered sufficiently from tour (they really do seem to have been taking this year pretty easy), but, as someone else said, do they really have enough content? Yeah, the phandom will come out for anything they put on, but seems as though they have more creative integrity than to do a world tour of something DAPGO-esque. So hopefully we'll find out Friday what that could be.
"If you're left-handed, ask a friend."
"Why am I left-handed?"
"Everybody makes mistakes."
Viofish
glabella

rizzo wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:10 am
sprikkitty wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:49 amMy personal guess is they're doing a t-shirt or some sort of merch design contest (like hot topic recently did for rick and morty) That actually seems pretty exciting and lets the artists and aspiring artists of the phandom be seen :D :love2: :love2:
This is such a good guess! And it would also explain the use of the phrase "meaning to" (see: apathy's post), because the first shirt is already out at Hot Topic, so it's technically old news they haven't mentioned. Brilliant catch! :thumb:

And now that I think about it more... it even explains Phil deciding to highlight more fan art on his tumblr. Maybe as a sort of lead-in/introduction to this? :hmmm:
that makes total sense!! Phil dedicating his tumblr to sharing the art of the phandom, can serve more purposes than just giving online recognition. There's gonna be a merch contest for sure.
(I still wonder if dan ever checks or even knows idb exists. Because we predict so much, I wonder if that freaks him out :rofl: :rofl: )
"when you finna nut but no one wants to help with your kink"
dae
dank meme
Pronouns: They/them

I know I’m probably just being demon but this is dans EXACT words

*looks down* but we got something else to get out the way, this month, uhh, something that we’ve been meaning to talk about for a long time, but we’ve decided it’s finally time to share with the world, so, uhh *looks up* hope you look forward to that

Listen i get it Dan does this all he time but every time I read that it doesn’t sound like a project it sounds like something they’ve been wanting to tell us not something they want to tell us about just the whole “something we’ve been meaning to talk about for a long time” “we’ve DECIDED it’s FINALLY time” if it was a project why would it be something that they really needed to decide to tell us about and not to mention how “finally” and “long time” go together it really does sound like they might actually be coming out and by the way Dan looked up isn’t it possible that the top notch graphic design thing he said he just read in the chat and it wasn’t even about that like it was just a Segway for him to change the subject I know I’m probably reading too into this but then again

How many times will the boy cry wolf before the wolf actually comes to bite everyone in the ass?
"Accept that you don't really have to know everything and why"
hello9217
flower crown

My guess was at first that dan and phil were going to do a draw my relationship. Sorry if this was said in previous posts I'm on break and can't read everything right now. That's why he seemed really interested when someone mentioned him and Phil do quick draw again. I was able to read a couple posts above me and think that this could also relate to having their fans design their merch. I also think there are two separate events because I really do think they will tour again but that the Friday thing will be an announcement for whatever this 'graphic design' is and a tour is going to be announced next year. I feel like tatinof just ended and what would they even tour you know?
pastelspectre
stress mushroom

why am i such a trashcan literally when dan said those words i was like.... relationship? im such a demon phannie wtf

also they're doing their big announcement on my birthday?? im screaming (i'll be the big..20.. o.o)
:transheart:
Secretstanner
truth bomb

Skylar wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:28 am why am i such a trashcan literally when dan said those words i was like.... relationship? im such a demon phannie wtf
I mean I’m a anti and even I was question what he was trying to say before he mentioned the design part. I don’t know if anyone has brought this up yet because I havnt had anytime to read through everyone’s posts but could it have anything to do with the “ documentary/film” thing I saw a long time ago, I’m probably completely wrong because I wasn’t in the phandom at this point so I didn’t but care much about the discussion. I remember something about dan started following a film maker? And he posted a picture on his IG near where they lived? I could be making my this all up in my head at this point I don’t know. I’m still confused by the way it was worded if it’s for a project they have been working on. But dan saying “ something we have been MEANING to talk about for a long time”, it’s just strange then followed by some top graphic design..? :? Or could it be to do with the gaming channel? They are leaving a big gap in the gaming channel this time if they are waiting for the new sims and it won’t come out till next week. Recently they have been good with uploading normally every 5-7 days, why couldn’t they just do a quick and easy game to put up until sims? They could do a higher or lower game or google auto. I have literally no bloody idea what this announcement could be for and tbh it will probably end up being some new merch and he just worded it wrong. :shrug:
JustMe
living flop
Pronouns: She/her

hello9217 wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:47 am My guess was at first that dan and phil were going to do a draw my relationship. Sorry if this was said in previous posts I'm on break and can't read everything right now. That's why he seemed really interested when someone mentioned him and Phil do quick draw again.
This is exactly what I thought straight away. An animated video of (part of) their story/explaining they're together. It would allow them to explain without being on camera, or people expecting PDA. It would let them share a personal thing from a distance, which I totally see them do.
~ I'll be bold as well as strong and use my head alongside my heart ~
Phantasy
woodland creature

hello9217 wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:47 am My guess was at first that dan and phil were going to do a draw my relationship. Sorry if this was said in previous posts I'm on break and can't read everything right now. That's why he seemed really interested when someone mentioned him and Phil do quick draw again. [...]
I’m totally on bored with a “draw our life” video! Though merch spon or a D&P Shop relaunch of sorts seems more in line with Dan’s history of making troll-esque comments to whip phannies in a frenzie.