Dan & Phil Part 60: Lady Door Tour

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
DatCog
blobfish
Pronouns: she/her

Shall we place bets on whether PINOF9 will be filmed in Phil's room, or not? I think it probably will, although I very much hope to be proved wrong. It'll be so crap if they can't do any of the more physical stuff because of the lack of space...imagine PINOF8 without the fireman lift!

Edit: yay, been months since I last got a top of page post 8-)
greenergrass
stress mushroom

captainspacecoat wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:05 am Oh yeah, definitely! Don't get me wrong, I think it's fantastic that Dan is talking about trans rights (especially as it looks as though UK media is currently being flooded by awful transphobic rhetoric, at least from what I've seen through following Owen Jones on twitter). I completely agree with what he said, and I love that he's willing to talk about social justice. I think he is genuinely a very compassionate person with a genuine (and personal) interest in LGBT+ issues, and I also really appreciated that he brought up 'r*tard' as an example of a slur that has been generally accepted in society, as I feel like that word is one that is still accepted in a lot of youth circles. I totally agree with you that it's great for him to talk about these things to such a wide audience, and I imagine it's very affirming for young people to hear these things from someone they look up to. I don't mean to negate what he said at all, it's just that ever since the pewdiepie sitch I guess I'm a bit more cynical than I once was, and I find it difficult to fully take him seriously given that associating with someone who uses racial slurs directly goes against what he said about people needing to recognise, address and unlearn their use of slurs.
Yep I def agree with all of this and understand what you're saying. It's like a "practice what you preach" situation - it doesn't negate the good, but he also needs to take his own advice and lead by example.
alch
ar·tic·u·late

DatCog wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:16 pm Shall we place bets on whether PINOF9 will be filmed in Phil's room, or not? I think it probably will, although I very much hope to be proved wrong. It'll be so crap if they can't do any of the more physical stuff because of the lack of space...imagine PINOF8 without the fireman lift!
I vote yes, it will be. Maybe they'll try something physical because they want to prove people wrong but I don't think they'll do it anywhere else.
autumnhearth
senpai

I was going to say something a couple pages back when someone suggested the slounge, but for me, as long as Phil films most of his vids in a room with a colorful bedspread, I’m going to want pinof to have that backdrop. The slounge would feel very wrong to me. It worked fine for viewers choose my outfits, but not this. If they wanted to throw Phil’s duvet over the moon room bed and haru the whole thing that could be amusing, but I think they just need to work in the space they chose. Maybe they can go a bit old school and shoot some of the questions on the floor in front of the bed, or with Phil on the floor and Dan hanging over him. Or they could go for the head on approach at the foot of the bed like in pinof 3. But most likely we’ll get that odd corner angle. I’m looking forward to seeing how they manage it. And am also curious about what they will wear.
liola
rankussy

alch wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:49 pm
DatCog wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:16 pm Shall we place bets on whether PINOF9 will be filmed in Phil's room, or not? I think it probably will, although I very much hope to be proved wrong. It'll be so crap if they can't do any of the more physical stuff because of the lack of space...imagine PINOF8 without the fireman lift!
I vote yes, it will be. Maybe they'll try something physical because they want to prove people wrong but I don't think they'll do it anywhere else.
You know what would be really amazing?If they put Phil's bedsheet in the moon room and just did the entire video there, without even acknowledging :rofl: after all, it's the bedsheets that kind of resemble the PINOF experience, not the physical room, since the actual room its been filmed in has changed over the years.
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
DatCog
blobfish

Great minds autumnhearth and liola :platonic:

I would be highly amused by that scenario!
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

Today is exactly one year since the BONCAS and that pinnacle moment when Phil brought Dan up on stage. Adorbs. But it brings me to a point I wanted to make a while back: It's been a year since the BONCAS (a supposed "annual" award show) and there's no new BONCAS. ....The BONCAS are dead.

In any other circumstance, this would have been totally fine. Shit like this happens all the time. I mean, c'mon... just look at anything the Gleam Team does. But honestly? The BONCAS having only happened once leaves a bad taste in my mouth around the whole thing originally.

The BONCAS was run by Endemol UK. These are the same folks who own and operate ChannelFlip and FlipSide. Dan and Phil left ChannelFlip way back when (before the last BONCAS, I believe) and it appears that they've left FlipSide now. (AboveTF and all those shenanigans.) So naturally, those 2 organizations are going to fall apart. But Endemol hasn't. They own a lot more than just these influencer things.

What this says to me - and it honestly comes as no surprise, because I assumed this at the time - is that the BONCAS were led by these YouTube-relevant teams and Dan and Phil were probably involved in development of the whole thing. After all, when was the last time you saw Dan and Phil promote any Youtube event so heavily that wasn't their own? They were so proud of the BONCAs being a thing, and they talked about dressing up for it, and they mentioned how important it was to have an award show that had a proper "panel" of people voting. And somehow the BONCAS looped in everyone... people dressed up, everyone was nervous like it was an Oscars of sorts, Grace and Mamrie were there! At the time, I was really proud of just that? Like, holy shit, they were involved in what could be a fantastic annual tradition. The BONCAS could celebrate an industry that's otherwise overrun by popularity contests.

But no. An award show that Dan and Phil were likely involved in happened just the one time, Dan and Phil won a metric fuckton of said awards, and then it never happened again.

So you can see where that kinda.... looks gross, no?

Anyway, I've had a lot of feelings about this for a while now, so here I am dropping them in essay form. Sorry for being a negative nancy. Here, have this:

Image Image
credit
autumnhearth
senpai

That is a very interesting perspective on it rizzo. I never thought about the organization of it, but they certainly did promote it a lot and the show was hinging on their closing act. Hmm.

Today is also the eight year anniversary of Dan’s “I wonder how biology can explain...” tweet, and they are probably filming pinof today, so I’m just a :phangoggles3: :garbage: of coincidence right now and will gladly sit and watch the more analytical folks talk this out. :corn:
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

rizzo, your post immediately made me want to relate it somehow to Hello World - which isn't the same at all, really; BONCAS wasn't made to get money out of fans in any way, the motivations were different.;But the same kind of deception of youtubers/corporations would kind of parallel, if I agreed - I'm just not entirely sure I do. I think the setup was probably to promote youtubers that had a lot to do with Flipside/Endemol to give them some awards-winning credibility and I think that Dan and Phil are the obvious ones. I just - I dunno, I don't see that much sign that Dan and Phil were directly involved in it besides acting as Flipside's prized show animals.
anenergetic
spork
Pronouns: he/him

alittledizzy wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:29 pm rizzo, your post immediately made me want to relate it somehow to Hello World - which isn't the same at all, really; BONCAS wasn't made to get money out of fans in any way, the motivations were different.;But the same kind of deception of youtubers/corporations would kind of parallel, if I agreed - I'm just not entirely sure I do. I think the setup was probably to promote youtubers that had a lot to do with Flipside/Endemol to give them some awards-winning credibility and I think that Dan and Phil are the obvious ones. I just - I dunno, I don't see that much sign that Dan and Phil were directly involved in it besides acting as Flipside's prized show animals.
Interesting read on it
gay :prideflag:
Stakhanov
haru pillow
Pronouns: he / him

rizzo wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:28 pm Today is exactly one year since the BONCAS and that pinnacle moment when Phil brought Dan up on stage. Adorbs. But it brings me to a point I wanted to make a while back: It's been a year since the BONCAS (a supposed "annual" award show) and there's no new BONCAS. ....The BONCAS are dead.

In any other circumstance, this would have been totally fine. Shit like this happens all the time. I mean, c'mon... just look at anything the Gleam Team does. But honestly? The BONCAS having only happened once leaves a bad taste in my mouth around the whole thing originally.

The BONCAS was run by Endemol UK. These are the same folks who own and operate ChannelFlip and FlipSide. Dan and Phil left ChannelFlip way back when (before the last BONCAS, I believe) and it appears that they've left FlipSide now. (AboveTF and all those shenanigans.) So naturally, those 2 organizations are going to fall apart. But Endemol hasn't. They own a lot more than just these influencer things.

What this says to me - and it honestly comes as no surprise, because I assumed this at the time - is that the BONCAS were led by these YouTube-relevant teams and Dan and Phil were probably involved in development of the whole thing. After all, when was the last time you saw Dan and Phil promote any Youtube event so heavily that wasn't their own? They were so proud of the BONCAs being a thing, and they talked about dressing up for it, and they mentioned how important it was to have an award show that had a proper "panel" of people voting. And somehow the BONCAS looped in everyone... people dressed up, everyone was nervous like it was an Oscars of sorts, Grace and Mamrie were there! At the time, I was really proud of just that? Like, holy shit, they were involved in what could be a fantastic annual tradition. The BONCAS could celebrate an industry that's otherwise overrun by popularity contests.

But no. An award show that Dan and Phil were likely involved in happened just the one time, Dan and Phil won a metric fuckton of said awards, and then it never happened again.

Anyway, I've had a lot of feelings about this for a while now, so here I am dropping them in essay form. Sorry for being a negative nancy. Here, have this:

Image Image
credit
You don't have to apologize for expressing an opinion that some might see as "negative". Please spare me of the oppression to be forcefully positive about things that aren't, especially about people I care about.
Thanks for bringing that to light. Endemol is pretty well known here in Belgium. It's a famous Dutch television production company, who were chiefly known for designing the "Big Brother" format. I believe they invented that format, the company got big since the late nineties/ early 00's in what was then (and still is imo) considered "sensationalist" formats. There was a big societal debate back in the day about the social evils of Big Brother and celebrity culture. I know they've expanded dramatically as a company but I didn't know they were also linked to flipside and the BONCA's It makes sense though, they have always been excellent marketeers.

The BONCA's wasn't that different from other industry awards in essence. Even very "prestigious" awards like the Oscars or you name your typical industry award is anything but a fair and neutral assessment of the field. They are all gross if you look at the details. I don't think it's a coincidence Dan and Phil won so many awards, and you're right they did talk about it to a remarkable degree. I bet their motives might have been good, in the sense that they probably thought that it was nice to have some attention come to youtube content creators but that doesn't change the fact that's it's just one big conflict of interest between business and trying to value youtube content on the basis of a creative or other standard.
It also doesn't have to change the meaning it had for many of us as an endearing moment where they took the time to acknowledge each other's importance in their (professional) life.
Finding my own inarticulate prose
Weirding out strangers and laughing at those
Jaundiced and jaded, postured and posed
Not that we’re special it’s just that we’re
Closing in on a place where we might get to be
Living real people regularly
Stakhanov
haru pillow
Pronouns: he / him

whatdoiknow wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:33 am
captainspacecoat wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:38 pm That was the longest liveshow he's done since August, I was surprised he went past 40 minutes.
I wonder if that's partly due to Phil not being home (Dan said he was away right, or did I misunderstand that, and he hasn't actually left yet?). Obvs not saying he's completely attached to phil or anything, but he does tend to do longer shows when he's home alone.
Re: Hypocrisy - Obviously I fully support Dan's stance here, I'm glad he's vocally supportive of trans rights and I appreciated what he had to say about the marriage equality survey in Australia. But I have to agree with others who've said it's hard to take him seriously when he talks about how young people are generally more socially progressive than others, and how we're all learning not to use offensive slurs, and condemning people who refuse to acknowledge why it is that the slurs they use are offensive rather than recognising that they're in the wrong and actively working to change their behaviour. Especially that last point, given that Felix literally did just that - continued to use racist slurs even after being publicly condemned for it - and yet Dan and Phil continue to hang out with him. Dan's a smart man, I would think he could connect the dots and confront his own cognitive dissonance, but hey :shrug:
I'm always happy when Dan speaks out about rights, and I don't think he's mentioned trans rights too often in the past so I'm glad he talked about them more extensively tonight. I do agree he was being a bit of a hypocrite, but I don't think that outweighs the good he does by speaking out about important things like he did tonight. I'm not sure I'm making sense, so sorry if I offend. To be clear, the whole Felix situation is terrible and Dan (and Phil) have definitely not treated that situation properly and I do not like that they still associate with Felix. However, I'm not sure if every positive thing Dan says/does needs to be compared to the Felix situation (I'm not arguing against you specifically, just happen to be quoting your text because it was relevant). Or maybe it does? I don't know, basically what I'm trying to see is, at the end of the day, Dan is reaching a large audience with the positive things he says about issues such as gay/trans rights, not using the word r*tarded, etc. That doesn't change the fact that he publicly associated with a racist, but it also (in my eyes) doesn't negate the positive things he does.
I also like that Dan isn't afraid to be open about crying in tv shows/film/music/games etc, I relate to that a lot and it's nice to hear.
I really love that about him. It seems like in this day and age, most guys should be fine with showing vulnerability, and gender stereotypes are dumb, but unfortunately a lot of boys still don't like to show their more sensitive side. Dan is completely unapologetic about it, and actually treats it as something he likes about himself.

Also: 41:56 "What is the fan service with Cole Sprouse in this vest? I don't know man, I'm about it." Dan has the biggest crush on Cole Sprouse (can't blame him), and he tries to make it known like every week. Cole, just do him a favour and DM him on twitter or something? Theory - Dan made Phil wear the beanie in his 'viewers pick my outfit' vid only because Jughead wears a beanie and Dan was desperate for some semblance of Cole Sprouse in his life
Well i have a different opinion. I don't feel like going into detail since the terms and conditions of this forum stifle free debate and some "rules" are enforced selectively in my experience, but I'm happy when Dan speaks about social and political issues and I don't think he's hypocritical at all. I do disagree with his message about how we've progressed so much because some words that are considered slurs are used less often. That's a poor metric that sidesteps the much more important inequality and discrimination that is going on. The current politics around trans people, how a lot of people look at immigrants, the piss poor support for mental care or people with disabilities that people have in a lot of countries... yea that's what I would like to focus on. I've seen Felix been called a "nazi" and racist by some on social media, I would consider that a slur used unfairly here.
But while I might disagree with what Dan or Phil would say about the topic I would just like to hear his honest opinion. In general I would like them to just speak their mind. I doubt they will, they are wise not to get involved in something controversial. I personally think they support Felix privately but decided not to speak out. They have a long history of only speaking out about political things that are not controversial at all within their audience
Of course i think his message is generally good and I support it. I give Dan extra stan points for that compared to Phil because at least Dan occasionally gives an opinion even while it's a very curated and safe one. Phil just doesn't say anything. Which in his defense is the smart thing to do as an entertainer with a multi-million, diverse audience.
Finding my own inarticulate prose
Weirding out strangers and laughing at those
Jaundiced and jaded, postured and posed
Not that we’re special it’s just that we’re
Closing in on a place where we might get to be
Living real people regularly
lilabet
philussy
Pronouns: She/Her

Stakhanov wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:58 pm
rizzo wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:28 pm Today is exactly one year since the BONCAS and that pinnacle moment when Phil brought Dan up on stage. Adorbs. But it brings me to a point I wanted to make a while back: It's been a year since the BONCAS (a supposed "annual" award show) and there's no new BONCAS. ....The BONCAS are dead.

Image Image
credit
You don't have to apologize for expressing an opinion that some might see as "negative". Please spare me of the oppression to be forcefully positive about things that aren't, especially about people I care about.
Thanks for bringing that to light. Endemol is pretty well known here in Belgium. It's a famous Dutch television production company, who were chiefly known for designing the "Big Brother" format. I believe they invented that format, the company got big since the late nineties/ early 00's in what was then (and still is imo) considered "sensationalist" formats. There was a big societal debate back in the day about the social evils of Big Brother and celebrity culture. I know they've expanded dramatically as a company but I didn't know they were also linked to flipside and the BONCA's It makes sense though, they have always been excellent marketeers.

The BONCA's wasn't that different from other industry awards in essence. Even very "prestigious" awards like the Oscars or you name your typical industry award is anything but a fair and neutral assessment of the field. They are all gross if you look at the details. I don't think it's a coincidence Dan and Phil won so many awards, and you're right they did talk about it to a remarkable degree. I bet their motives might have been good, in the sense that they probably thought that it was nice to have some attention come to youtube content creators but that doesn't change the fact that's it's just one big conflict of interest between business and trying to value youtube content on the basis of a creative or other standard.
It also doesn't have to change the meaning it had for many of us as an endearing moment where they took the time to acknowledge each other's importance in their (professional) life.
Agree. To add to this, a lot of award ceremonies are owned/run by people wih agendas. For example the less credible ones literally give out awards to people who will show up.

The group that decided the more professional awards was made up of people from different management companies as well as some marketing people.

All of the management companies benefitted from the BONCAs. However there may have been some influence on who was nominated. That said there's not much upside for people if smaller niche YouTubers were the only ones nominated as there is then there's no promo because they wouldn't make the press.

Its a careful balance of benefits for each side (big YT/ unknown YT, mgmt/mgmt etc)
Overall I think everyone won. YouTubers with smaller audiences were recognised and probably got more views. Everyone got more media attention. DnP got awards I thought they deserved overall.
Only downside- these are hard to do, expensive and internal behind the scenes stuff has stopped it happening again.

I think they were just happy about having something like it and it's fallen apart with all the different management changes that are happening with gleam etc.
Phandom Gives
@phandomgives on social media. Check out the website for the latest information and current donation drive! <3
BSV
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

Image Image
credit
Wow thats all so interesting to me, i've never heard more about the organisers before - Hmmmm its all very strange isn't it?

PINOF9 - I'm not bloody ready!! I think it has to be in phil's room (although phil's sheets on dans bed/moon room would be cool with me too, we need space for them to roll out and be silly!)
cerulean
smol bean

Even though Dan seemed adamant..."you'll never get another chance to see us"... I'm kinda skeptical about whether they'd really never do another stage show again.

I mean, they've both talked about all the benefits- it's fun, they get to travel and meet fans in person. After a few years off the road they might get the itch to do another one.... not to mention all the fans pleading for them to come out again.

At the very least, they could do a few smaller shows like dapgoose in select cities. I wonder what their long term plan is and how long they'll keep their career focused on youtube?
kavat
pastel persona

I really liked the BONCAs as a concept and think it could have been really good if they decided to do it again. There were some things that they needed to change (not live streaming an event filled with social media stars, letting creators and fans sit like right next to each other, some technical difficulties etc) but over all I think it's an event that is wanted in the community. The US has the Streamys (which Jon Cozart hosted brilliantly this year) but I think there is room for more events celebrating internet culture and creators.
alch
ar·tic·u·late

Has it been a year since the BONCAs?

I hadn't thought of the show in that way, but I think you're right, rizzo. Though I'll always cherish Phil calling Dan up onstage.
liola
rankussy

It's been a year since the BONCAs aka the moment when I realized I was ruined and so far deep the trashcan I could've taken residence :rofl: :garbage: I will never forget the moment of sheer panic when I thought "oh shit Phil ARE YOU DOING WHAT I THINK YOURE DOING"

He didn't. But that doesn't mean he didn't absolutely crush my heart in the best way possible. Them filming PINOF today of all days is <3
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
auri
Pronouns: they/them

Our Interactive Introverts tickets came today from the post and suddenly I'm very excited, also highly concerned that I'll lost them before June. :lol:

I'm kind of ashamed that I wasn't really interested in dnp at this point last year (it was a busy busy time and I had a weird "I'm not into this tourin and book and another book thing boo" phase after tabinof was released and it lasted some time so yea, srsly came back after last pinof) so i totally missed the BONCAS live but I'm that much of a trashcan that I might need to watch The Thing tonight haha.
swofro
angel bean

I genuinely think that apart from the management and small youtubers getting exposure and what not, the idea of BONCAs comes from wanting to celebrate youtubers community.

I remember daniel (or Phil idk i can't remember it's too long) says something like they want something equivalent to BAFTA and BRITs but for youtubers. And I think that is a genuine feeling.

About the management, I just check the new site (bcos I was totally out of the loop and late for this tea lol) and it is basically the same thing as flipside website bar the name and the outdated deps description lol but updated pic tho, so I am with team it is basically flipside but with different name for some legal reason.

(sorry if other info had been dug up that counters this because as I said I was out of the loop) :ribena:

My take on this is that BONCAs just simply doesn't have sponsor and everyone doesn't feel motivated enough to do it, so yeah.

Where is pinof selfie tho?
Love is forever
howadorableright

swofro wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:42 pm Where is pinof selfie tho?
honestly the only thing i’m concerned about rn
back back back back again
Brack
tol bean

I think with the BONCAs, the main thing was that it just wasn't as "successful" (financially) as the organisers hoped. Tickets to the event didn't sell very well, and they ended up giving away half of them for free just to fill the London palladium. I went and it was good (outside was CHAOS) but I feel like people just weren't that invested in the awards show itself, even considering the people they invited to make it all big and cool. There was just a lot of screaming over the award announcers, and a lot of screaming for Deppy. There was also booing. It was not the Classy Youtube BAFTAs Night people dreamed of.

Hence, after last time it probably just wasn't worth organising another one.
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

Totally forgot about the PINOF selfie and now I need it.
Brack wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:05 pm I think with the BONCAs, the main thing was that it just wasn't as "successful" (financially) as the organisers hoped. Tickets to the event didn't sell very well, and they ended up giving away half of them for free just to fill the London palladium. I went and it was good (outside was CHAOS) but I feel like people just weren't that invested in the awards show itself, even considering the people they invited to make it all big and cool. There was just a lot of screaming over the award announcers, and a lot of screaming for Deppy. There was also booing. It was not the Classy Youtube BAFTAs Night people dreamed of.

Hence, after last time it probably just wasn't worth organising another one.
This is really interesting insight! I guess my assumption was that they should have known that it would be like that if they were selling tickets to the public?

Maybe, if this was the case, rethinking the structure of the awards for this year may have been the better way to go, because now those fancy hashtag trophies feel a bit worthless imho.

I should also clarify that I'm not necessarily mad, but rather... sad about the whole thing. At the time I was excited about this becoming a thing, because the boys were also excited, as was the industry, it seems. And it feels a bit like no one even tried to do it again. Not even a tweet was twote.
BSV

ok this is weird, but is phil still on instagram or have i been blocked? I swear ive never done anything untoward :shock:

Edit: ok searching for the wrong username...ignore me :lol: God i am all sorts of paranoid today
howadorableright

so is pinof tomorrow or friday? idk if i missed dan saying it or what
back back back back again