Dan & Phil Part 61: The 2017 Mince Pie Codex

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
000dia000
emo goose

lmao I'm surprised nobody posted this, I'd give it an 8/10, it's intriguing ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
:cactus:
casualIDBstalker
drama llama

Ok, I've been thinking & you know what I want for Christmas (which also happens to be my 40th birthday this year) a DITL, although I know it won't happen. Here is what I picture....since the rave tree is no longer, how about a wagon ride to the perfect spot where Dan & Phil go & cut down their own tree. We know how Dan seems to be quite particular about things & I imagine that would be an interesting trip. I could see Phil liking a "Charlie Brown" type tree & wanting to take it home & make it beautiful but then I could see Dan wanting one that is near perfect & very symmetrical. Then going home & decorating it while drinking hot cocoa & banting & as a bonus, they could even throw in making Christmas cookies.

How dangerous - Dan or Phil with a saw trying to cut down a tree while the other one laughs like crazy which in turn makes the other one laugh like crazy but also a "shut up Lester" or a "you're doing it wrong Danny boi" thrown in there for the lols. I'm sorry, i just have all these cute little scenarios in my head.

I know it won't happen but the DITL videos are my favorites & yes I also know it would be too similar to the last festive one but I wouldn't mind. I love seeing them be "normal" & domestic & not overly dramatic for the camera. A girl can dream right.

Anyways, sorry for that!!!
DatCog
blobfish
Pronouns: she/her

Very excited to see the game spoiler...I'm just hoping it also marks the return of the requisite headwear, hoodie and specs combo! Perhaps if Dan is involved, they can be matching <3
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

That scenario is so cosy. I’ve still got A Charlie Brown Christmas on VHS from 1985, they’d be so cute buying a real tree from a market even without chopping it down themselves (I don’t know where near London anyone can go to do that, or if it’s legal).

I wonder if swearing doesn’t actually affect monetisation or ad-friendliness at all. It seems that’s what blocks his channel in child-friendly mode, but the ad-friendly thing is different.

Also couldn’t resist clicking the gaming spoiler. Interesting. Also the idea of gagging Dan ;) The early handicap videos were good, it could work. I loved his solo one of Pokemon too, his love for it was so pure.
autumnhearth
senpai

^^^ I was thinking about this the other day and I imagine that the whole live Christmas tree experience is different in London than say the suburbs of the American Midwest where we drive to a tree farm, pick out a tree, have it cut, shaken, netted and tied to the roof of our vehicle. I’m sure there are Christmas tree lots that spring up in the city and then I suppose you get it delivered? Residents of London, enlighten us please!

(^^ I’m so here for outfit coordination)
Last edited by autumnhearth on Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

God forbid they ever surprise us with anything. :lol:

I'm so so so excited though! Best news of the day. If Phil has a LS, I'll be interested to see if/how he addresses this.
George
sad dimple

alittledizzy wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:01 pm The 2014 Festive ditl has almost seven million views.

Phil, come on. We need a new one. If you don't want to do it for the fans, do it for the money.
I remember Phil saying in a liveshow that he doesn't want to do a ditl if he's just home in London, but he might do one if he's travelling or something. So I don't think we're going to get a festive ditl this year. And they aren't travelling anywhere in December? Tbh, I got a feeling that he doesn't want to do a London one so that people won't see his favorite places :shrug: It was quite a while ago when he said this tho, so maybe (hopefully) he has changed his mind.
Last edited by George on Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You should never go to sleep on an argument.
culture666war666
smol bean

Sorry for bringing up this topic again.
I don’t really get how does this new YouTube algorithm work? Does it demonetize all the videos with swearing? Is it just random?
Also, from Rose n Rosie videos I found out that videos containing notions such as gay, lesbian, bi, trans etc. get demonetized automatically as they are considered as extremist (???) This thing is so weird, in my opinion.
It just discourages the creators from doing great videos on important topics that can help so much people.

Concerning Dan’s videos, I don’t really think that he will ever stop swearing in his vids, it’s the part of his branding + it really suits him tbh.

Sorry for the offtop, I’m just really disappointed in this new YouTube policy. Due to this changes, it risks losing its authenticity as platform and community.
hello9217
flower crown

I’m so excited for gamingmas!!! Dan and Phil embody the festive season so spectacularly that it makes me so warm inside.
To answer your previous question, Dan has somewhat mentioned being demonotized. In the video Anthony, Dan, or a Rat, one of them joked about this being the first amazingphil video to be demonotized. Anthony was surprised that he had never been. Dan made it seem like he himself has been demonotized before.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

culture666war666 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:33 pm Sorry for bringing up this topic again.
I don’t really get how does this new YouTube algorithm work? Does it demonetize all the videos with swearing? Is it just random?
Also, from Rose n Rosie videos I found out that videos containing notions such as gay, lesbian, bi, trans etc. get demonetized automatically as they are considered as extremist (???) This thing is so weird, in my opinion.
It just discourages the creators from doing great videos on important topics that can help so much people.

Concerning Dan’s videos, I don’t really think that he will ever stop swearing in his vids, it’s the part of his branding + it really suits him tbh.

Sorry for the offtop, I’m just really disappointed in this new YouTube policy. Due to this changes, it risks losing its authenticity as platform and community.
Don't worry, it's not off topic! We were talking about this really recently.

The frustrating part is actually just that no one is entirely sure why some videos are getting demonetized, because it's all done by an algorithm that (as youtube loves to say) is "learning" as it goes. So basically their end goal is an automated system that will only demonetize things that really should be demonetized, but it's not actually functioning to serve that purpose yet... and who knows how long it will be until it starts to really figure out what is appropriate and what isn't.

Right now if a video is demonetized people can appeal to youtube and have the monetization put back in place, but it usually takes a few days and youtube videos get the most views (and therefore make the most money) in the immediate aftermath of being posted. So... even when youtube "fixes" it they're still fucking people over.

And on top of that, since this is actually being done for advertisers, they may still end up deciding that it's not lucrative enough for them to monetize videos that they don't think advertisers would want their videos on anyway... which could still end up meaning lgbtq stuff gets demonetized.
hello9217
flower crown

culture666war666 wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:33 pm Sorry for bringing up this topic again.

Sorry for the double post. Basically it’s a broke system. If you watch Philip Defranco he has made a couple of videos on it. No one really knows how they get demonotized. I’ve seen people complain that within the first minute of their video being up they get it demonotized. You can refute it but as the most views come within the first hours of being posted you may have already lost a good chunk of money. When it first started happening I remember creators being very cautious, ie beeping out swear words and such. Now you can have video reviewed before it’s published to see if it will get demonotized so that’s slightly better but still people are getting less control of their content if they want to continue making a living on this platform. This is why I believe deppy are smart in what they do. They have the tours and merchandise to add to their income. If they wanted to go back to radio I’m sure they could. They have a lot of options for them!
malday
emo goose

autumnhearth wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:55 pm
malday wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:55 pm Does this mean there's going to be a Phil solo gaming video? or is Dan going to watch and comment on Phil playing it?
I’m down for solo gaming, but Phil did mention in a ls sometime in the last two or three months that he might play it with Dan this time.
I look forward to it even if Dan will be there just to be a backseat gamer, it will be reminiscent of the old Crash Bandicoot video.

About demonetization, Tomska talked in his last vlog about how his new sketch suffered algorithmic demotion because it had the word "shit" in the title so it can't be monetized, it can't trend and it's being pushed down (probably isn't getting recommendedto people).
auri
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie
Pronouns: they/them

All I would want is a Phil ls but I guess I won't get it? Blah. I've been watching old radio shows for days as a back ground noise to keep me kind of in between escapism and real life, but I'd just love to have 40 mins of Phil being excited about snow. The gaming videos are being loaded in a very annoying time for me (it's usually between nine pm and 1 am or something as ridiculous) so the first gamingmas video will be a treat for the morning of the December 2nd, since I should be asleep ay 10pm bc of work uh. So yeaaaa, pls Phil, I'd kill a spider for a ls tonight.
Internet Homo
smol bean

thatone wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:23 pm

I wanted to respond with "I'll take another 3 ISGs if I never have to watch another Memeing of Life", but actually... idk if that's true? I think I'd personally rather Dan try his hand at something new/put his heart into something even if it's not the most well-received content.

But, you totally have a point. There's value is a "meh" reaction and a well-known format for Dan. He's human. He's not always going to have some brilliant new idea for a video and in those instances, this works. I think that makes me a bit less bitter about the whole thing.

I know this is super old news, but I actually liked that video and don't really get why it's supposedly his worst (recent) video ever?
i know this is 10 years late but yeah, same. it's a bit waffly, but it's not awful
citizen_erased
truth bomb

auri wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:06 pm All I would want is a Phil ls but I guess I won't get it? Blah. I've been watching old radio shows for days as a back ground noise to keep me kind of in between escapism and real life, but I'd just love to have 40 mins of Phil being excited about snow. The gaming videos are being loaded in a very annoying time for me (it's usually between nine pm and 1 am or something as ridiculous) so the first gamingmas video will be a treat for the morning of the December 2nd, since I should be asleep ay 10pm bc of work uh. So yeaaaa, pls Phil, I'd kill a spider for a ls tonight.
he's live now!
liola
rankussy

Phil is live!!

Dan shut up
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
AroboticPhil
sad dimple
Pronouns: she

liola wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:12 pm Phil is live!!

Dan shut up
Dan really found a way to interrupt Phil's liveshow that he's not even FEATURED IN, oh god. When will that boy finally give us what we really want (silence)
nephilimcat
woodland creature

AroboticPhil wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:18 pm
liola wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:12 pm Phil is live!!

Dan shut up
Dan really found a way to interrupt Phil's liveshow that he's not even FEATURED IN, oh god. When will that boy finally give us what we really want (silence)
Seriously, sometimes I hate him but in a loving way :lol:

The gamingmas spoiler thing:
Seems like Shelter is going to be the video tomorrow? Hyped! I really hope if Dan's in it he's not being obnoxious but I guess that's a bit much to hope for :roll:
pulvis et umbra sumus
yellowsubmarine
hobbit hair

Jesus guys, give Dan a break what did he ever do to you xD

I'm indifferent to ISG. I'm here to appreciate Dan and that's what I did.

Can't believe it's already december where the hell did time go!!

Edit: Phil is promo king, especially if the bf is involved :D
"Treat yourself, because you're special and you're worth it."
auri
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie
Pronouns: they/them

Seriously as i sent the last post, i got notif of Phil's ls. :lol: it was a sweet one, nice and easy, and I loved how Phil kept on promoting Dan. <3 anygays, I'm hyped for gamingmas now as I got the ls. Yay! :epictree:
snokoplasmic
procrastinator

god, phil talking about his grandfather was so cute
MythicalPinkTrashCan
phabergé

So their internet is good enough for dan to be playing an MMO of some sort, while in a voice chat of some sort, while Phil does a live stream?

Or is it that maybe Dan's gaming computer is ethernet while other stuff in wifi? I don't really know how it works. But I'm feeling suspicious
liola
rankussy

Phil is SO cute. Not just beauty wise cause he's gorgeous we all know it, but he's just a precious person.

Can Dan please film a video on how to get a Phil Lester in my life

I'm excited for gamingmas and also I really want them to film picking a real tree. I know it won't happen but I love to dream
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
hello9217
flower crown

I really wanted another ditl but I really don’t think we’re getting one since he avoided all questions of it in the ls. I guess only time will tell. Phil talking about his grandfather was adorable and how he said he’s his last grandparent so he wants to hold on to him for as long as possible <3 A short but sweet ls. Also I guess no Dan ls next week since that talk thing is on Tuesday and starts at around 6pm
autumnhearth
senpai

I found myself a bit distracted by Dan in the background a few times. Part of me wanted to know what he was laughing about the other part wanted him to shut up. But I’m mostly amused that there are still super antis that think they live separately, or at least have a floor each with their own lounges, kitchens, etc. for time apart. Nope. Boy can’t even “chat” with his internet friends in a separate room.

MythicalPinkTrashCab I suspect that their internet is best in that room/on that level which is why they both ended up doing most of the liveshows, or at least the YouNow ones there. I think the issue is downstairs, or wherever the heck the white tiled rooms are.

I didn’t weigh in on the last hair discussion, but after watching this stream I feel like if he moved his part over just a tad more towards the middle (but nowhere near a center part) he would have less issues with the splinges and not have to fiddle with it so much. It’s almost at a horizontal swoosh across his forehead, no wonder it doesn’t want to behave. It was sticking up adorably in the back though.

Short but sweet ls. :love2:
I was surprised but pleased by the double Dan promo.
Also sounds like Phil will be going home for Christmas.