Dan & Phil Part 61: The 2017 Mince Pie Codex

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
danphil333
hobbit hair

this is why i hate dan
autumnhearth
senpai
Pronouns: she/her

While that may have been the opposite of what everyone said they wanted (either solo Phil game play or Dan sitting silently while Phil controlled the game) I thoroughly enjoyed it. They both looked beautiful (skin and hair) and adorable (hats and jumpers). And despite it being harrowing it was also very cozy. Their reactions were great and there were some innuendos at the beginning that I’ve already forgotten, but they were there and I laughed at them (edit: ah all the gifs have reminded me “naughty boy” “yes Christmas Daddy” great.). Dan’s stalking the rabbit(s) by following them on Twitter comment made me gasp, even if it was intended in a more general sense. Also that wolf/husky hat was giving me slight Charlieskies vibes but Charlie’s was better.
Last edited by autumnhearth on Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ablissa
pastel persona

I enjoyed the video! It lacked the sweetness and wasn't as "cozy" as the videos with just Phil, but it was entertaining, they were sat super close (how unusual...), they were funny and cute and lovely. They both looked really good. Dan's hat gave me serious llama hat vibes, but I still thought he looked good in it.
If I could change something,I would have a bit less screaming from Dan, but other than that, good video for me.

I agree however that it's sad how easily Dan lost all the babies. I kept thinking to myself that he is running around so fast and losing them on the way. Phil was way more careful in the way he played.

EDIT: also the little comments in comic sans made me laugh :lol:
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

After my hysterics over Dan actually saying "Santa daddy, punish me" (with obligatory "Stop!" from Phil), boy did the harshness of the game change the tone, though they were both still pretty funny with the bants and adoable in their fluffy hats. It's a shame Dan didn't go slowly enough while he was leading the cubs not to lose them and by goodness, the screaming. I still enjoyed it, but it would have been nice if Phil had controlled it after how sweet the first series was (I doubt Dan could really still be there and expected not to make much noise, though). I felt for Dan by the end, I hope he got a good hug after all that. Heck, they both seemed to need one.
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

I usually like it when they find a game at which Dan is significantly more shit at than Phil but not this time The original Shelter series (fuck everyone who let it it flop btw) was an experience due to Phil's immersion. He was careful and got attached, which made it interesting to watch. Dan formed little to no attachment, was reckless in his gameplay choices and was just not a very good Lynx mom. Too much focus on bants (and I usually love bants more than the games) and the screaming.. It really takes you out of the situation.

If Phil's solo run of the first game had never existed I would've enjoyed this a lot more. But it does exist and so this one gets a 'meh' ranking from me.
alittledizzy wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 7:42 pm What a useful calm before the gamingmas storm... so I'm gonna use this opportunity to announce something cool we're doing during the month of December - IDB merch!

You can find a fully detailed post here, but the tl;dr of it is that as forum costs rise, we're reaching a point where the mod/admin team are unable to fully fund it out of pocket. But because we want to use this season to do some good in addition to raising money for ourselves, for every item sold 50% of what we get (after Redbubble has taken the manufacturing and shipping portion) and half of any donations made will go toward a charity chosen by the IDB community. Details about the possible charities and the voting poll can be found at the link above.

(You know you really want a shibe pattern idb mug. Or even better: a capita£ester sticker, because yes - we had to make catallena's dream a reality. #spon)
YAY IT LAUNCHED. Thank you for making my dumb vision come true in sticker form. :love2:
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

danphil333 wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:24 pm this is why i hate dan
Here is some solo Phil :love2: for you.
Ewok
rainbow nerd

Well, it wasn't another relaxing solo Phil gaming vid, but it was pretty cute. Not at all what I was hoping for but I still enjoyed it. Dan really rushed through the entire thing kicking and screaming, but whatevs, I'll live. It was still fairly enjoyable, just in a different way. Also I have serious, serious doubts about Dan's parenting abilities. He scares me.

Dan's "stalking" via twitter comment made me snort. As well as "YAY kfc" and "where's my goddamn mcflurry?"

Maybe it's my phan goggles but Phil seems to be all up in Dan's personal space lately in gaming vids. It's pretty cute. I like seeing the flirtier side of Phil, he just seems so comfortable and bubbly. I just love Phil, he's a blessing

Anyway. My ears are bleeding, but I'm content and excited for more. Hopefully the next gamingmas installment will be less depressing and full of death.
:festive:
»»-————𝓯𝓵𝓸𝓹𝓹𝔂 𝓭𝓲𝓷𝓰 𝓭𝓸𝓷𝓰————-««
malday
emo goose

I found the original Shelter vids a bit boring, tbh, so i expected this one to be a bit boring too, but focusing on the bants rather than the gameplay, it was fun to watch.
alien
procrastinator

I know this is an unpopular opinion but the first Shelter wasn't something I was ever interested so I never watched it until the spoiler dropped yesterday and my opinion didn't change of it. Today's video was better imo because I like the banter between them and there isn't enough commentary with only one of them.

But the game itself is yuck...killing animals is not my idea of fun lol
daichii
rainbow nerd
Pronouns: she | her

I wish they hadn't played this. The shelter 1 vids had a "something" (either the pace, lack of yelling, phil playing solo, phil's love for animals, etc.) which served very well for a one time series but with this one there was no charm and dan's overreactions totally ruined it imo. Not rewatching this one, good thing about gamingmas is that there'll be enough good vids to compensate the bad ones
imaginarymind
dank meme

I hecking adored solo badger-mom Phil in the first Shelter video and was really really hoping for the series to continue like so, but watching the game, it didn't really have the same, calm, one-step-at-a-time vibe as the first one, so it probs wouldn't have been all that fit for a solo Phil video.. Thought I was hoping... :tongue1:
But it was an alright video none the less. :D
Could've done with a bit less Dan screams and a slower pace but :shrug:
tacitus
crusty sponge

I watched the video in about 5 parts because I got bored and kept stopping. The gameplay seemed really pointless and confusing... And I love Dan, but that loud voice is grating early in the morning. It hasn't got the same vibe I loved in the first few videos, which is a real shame because I've been looking forward to Shelter 2 for years. I've never disliked a gaming video before but I think this may be my exception?
bookfiend
spork

I don’t usually say this and maybe I’m just in a bad mood, but this video was disappointing and really frustrating to watch. :headdesk1:

I could barely pay attention to what was being said between them because I was annoyed at Dan and wanted him to stop running everywhere. It takes all of a minute to work out that you’re going too fast for the babies to keep up. I didn’t believe for a second that neither of them noticed it. I don’t usually have an issue when Dan and Phil are bad at games but having that first video to compare it too just makes it look they were trying to rush out a video so Dan tried to game over as soon as possible.

It just would have been a better experience more in tone with the original if Phil got to control it and Dan just provided the banter.

Here’s hoping the next video is better. :snowman2:
CapriciousCrab
sad dimple

I didn't really care for this video, which was disappointing cause I loved when Phil played Shelter. Dan's almost always loud so I wasn't bothered by that but the rushing through the gameplay made it seem like they were just cranking this out as quick as possible. Maybe Dan was trying to get back to Guild Wars? I dunno but tomorrow is another day. Hopefully the next game will be better.
VengefulBlue
rainbow nerd
Pronouns: they/them

liola wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:09 pm I had to stop to laugh out loud when Dan realized he lost all the babies. I just can't :rofl: I feel like I saw the slow realization in Phil of "oh god let's not have children"

That was hilarious, definitely more stressful than Shelter. I feel like the badgers fit Phil's personality just like the lynx fits Dan's.

A nice start to gamingmas for me and also Phil playing with Dan's hat was cute damn furries
tbh this interpretation is the only way i was able to enjoy this video. phil was 100% gauging dan's dad potential, and they both knew it.

it probably also helped that i was pausing and going back every few seconds bc i might attempt to do timestamps for the first time so i had a lot of little breaks from the overall sadness. i do think as the video went on dan started to get genuinely upset a bit, which kind of ruined it. i don't have anything positive from dan after the 18 minute mark, just a few weak attempts by phil to inject some bants (which were mostly vaguely mean? of course he's just joking, but still)

overall, not the best start to gamingmas. hopefully tomorrow is more lighthearted and banterful.
susan2
rainbow nerd

alittledizzy wrote: Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:57 pm Grief circle for all of us who had dreams of another solo Phil game.
Seriously...what happened to giving the people what they want :(

I'm only (half) joking - but it is interesting that with Dan giving his speech on Tuesday they had the perfect opportunity set-up for a solo Phil video this week if they wanted to do it - I guess they just didn't want to :shrug:

A was an ok video to kick off gamingmas, but not one I'll rush to re-watch. It was missing all of the tenderness that really made the first series for me. In fairness to Dan - the difficulty of the game, rougher landscape and also not getting to name the babies himself didn't help with creating a tender atmosphere and connection. Though on a personal level I'll admit I'm feeling quite sad, as Shelter 1 was this really beautiful and special moment in time, and one of the things that got me into watching D+P in the first place and...agh....what could have been eh.

onwards and upwards hopefully...roll on day 2 :epictree:
captainspacecoat
stress mushroom

I'm with others who never really got the hype of the original Shelter videos - maybe an unpopular opinion, but I felt that while they were quite sweet they weren't particularly entertaining, and as much as I enjoy solo content from Phil (and Dan) I prefer their joint videos, so I never felt that strongly about the Shelter series being a sacred project that could only be embarked upon by Phil.

I didn't mind this video, I'd give it a solid 7/10. I agree that it was a bit stressful, but then so was the original series if you ask me. And I think the fact that the concept isn't just "killing animals", it's animals being killed by other animals because that is the circle of life, I don't feel particularly irked by it. Although I do sympathise with those who are, I'm a vegetarian so I totally get why a video that involves baby animals dying may not be everyone's cup of tea. It just doesn't affect me so much because a) it's not graphic and we don't really see the babies dying and b) it's all in the name of nature being a bit of a bitch, and not out of unnecessary, senseless violence.

Overall, I thought the video was quite entertaining, I like that they each have their own Christmas stocking, and I'm excited to see what other games that they play. My favourite part about gamingmas last year was the diversity of the games, and the fact that they played some things they probably wouldn't have otherwise played (e.g. Who Wants to be a Millionaire, Bubble Bobble, Katamari, Dance Evolution etc) as well as some of the classics. I hope they manage to strike a good balance again this year!
nigel ratburn
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

...sigh... i'm sad that we didn't get the solo phil follow-up to the first shelter series, but i enjoyed the video anyway. it was pretty hilarious to me that dan was so BAD at it (seriously, dude, DON'T JUST ABANDON YOUR CHILDREN) and that he managed to kill all of them so quickly. i just feel like an opportunity was wasted by having them do it the way they did? idk. i'll probably rewatch it anyway.
FandomLurker
crusty sponge

Hi friends,

I posted this a little while back and am not trying to be repetitive but I saw some Nick Jonas stuff here today and it seemed like not everyone might have seen him reference the Hey Buddy situation and call Dan his friend.

Also, I did like when stalking was brought up in this Shelter video Dan mentioned following on twitter, like it just made me think about little fanboy Dan stalking Phil and really made me wonder what their conversations are like when they look back at that time.

This wasn't my favorite gaming video but I liked it a lot.
pastelspectre
stress mushroom
Pronouns: he/him

hello yes i enjoyed the shelter 2 playthrough. i mean, i was not very attached to phil's playthrough of shelter in the first place, so i was able to.. i guess, separate the feelings from the different playthroughs? i dunno. i still enjoyed it and felt bad for dan bc he was a bad mother
:transheart:
dansnose
delia smith
Pronouns: she/ her

alright #unpopular opinion time: i don’t like the shelter videos i’ve always found them boring.
the new video was boring too but even worse bc dan’s loudness was hell.
i usually love it when dan is loud but i guess it was annoying me this time bc i was quite suffering through the video and kept pausing it bc i had 0% interest in it and i already forgot 90% of it lmao.
i hope tonight’s vid will be better bc that was a weak weak start to gamingmas sigh :/
alien
procrastinator

Hi this is me being a total trashcan but did anyone else think it was cute when they were picking which sleeping baby lynx they were they picked Vavi and Kir
scientia
phabergé

FandomLurker wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2017 3:40 am Hi friends,

I posted this a little while back and am not trying to be repetitive but I saw some Nick Jonas stuff here today and it seemed like not everyone might have seen him reference the Hey Buddy situation and call Dan his friend.

Also, I did like when stalking was brought up in this Shelter video Dan mentioned following on twitter, like it just made me think about little fanboy Dan stalking Phil and really made me wonder what their conversations are like when they look back at that time.

This wasn't my favorite gaming video but I liked it a lot.
Yeah I remember the first time this came up on IDB back in October (Rizzo’s post here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1011&p=73815&hilit=Jonas#p73815) - there are some responses on that thread if you’re curious. I’m really curious if Nick would collab with Dan for his youtube thing - that would be pretty crazy lol
fancybum
senpai

I actually liked it! We were never going to get Shelter 2 in the way it was meant to be done, and maybe that’s for the best so that the not-memory-because-it-didn’t-happen of what it Could Have Been can stay unsullied (I know that doesn’t make sense but shhhh). I think it was a smart start to gamingmas too since Shelter has been so requested for so long (and requested specifically to be SOLO PHIL) that banging it out as the first vid, ripping off that bandaid, for what was sure to bring some disappointment to some section of the audience (and going by the views (which aren't even bad! just lower than average) of the first Shelter vids, not an overwhelmingly large section boo/sigh) to get it out of the way was a good move. So nobody had to wait to be potentially disappointed and if you were it's all uphill (probably!) from here! I thought it was really enjoyable, I'm tossing it in the rewatch pile. And I didn't even find Dan annoying? His screeching gets to me when he's being loud just to be loud, but like, watching your lynx children die (or rather, not watching but just kind of vaguely noticing after they've already died because you're a terribly negligent lynx parent who's too busy thinking about mating) is contextually appropriate for a bit of obnoxious volume. There's really no consistency in what annoys me at any given time lmao.

Personal highlights:

10:28 P: Take that PETA
-legit burst out laughing at this for reasons I can't explain

13:05 P: We need to get a bigger piece of meat, let’s go kill a human.
13:30 P: You’re so bloodthirsty. Dan!
-pot calling the kettle bloodthirsty

11:55 D: David Attenborough this shit, Phil
P: And the rare lynx goes and chases after the scared rabbit, about to bite its neck, but then it runs away because Dan can’t control the lynx well

14:05 P: I don’t think we would have played ‘lynx mating simulator’ tbh
D: speak for yourself
-i’m afraid of how far he’ll go by the 24th. a full reindeer fursuit is on the horizon

15:05 P: We’re not finishing this video until we get the goddamn bird
-maybe we’ll get some good Phil swearing before 2018..??

Anyway, from this day forward, the inside of my brain will just be 21:25-21:27 on a loop for eternity. And I’m ok with it.
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me
Kathrynxjane
janice from the shop
Pronouns: She/Her

Dan sweetie. Just no. If you are going to play shelter 2, at least try to keep the babies alive.
Obviously they only wanted to play one episode (not make it a series) but at try to play well.
Of course running off every second is going to kill the babies...
Nearly turned it off because I was getting annoyed with Dan

Hopefully today's gamingmas will be better..

(just brought some IDB merchandise. Put anything on a mug and I will buy it!)
"You can't just pull it out and put it in without a plan." Dan Howell 2015