Dan & Phil Part 61: The 2017 Mince Pie Codex

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
alch
ar·tic·u·late
Pronouns: she/her

I love the festive board headers, especially on the galaxy style, they look great!
dancy wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:23 am Can't watch it right now but I was wondering whether it's appropriate/understandable for someone who knows hardly anything about Harry Potter? (srry dont kill me pls)
Definitely, there's some things they say that are references, but the quiz is just stuff you could answer without any knowledge of Harry Potter.
alien
procrastinator

OhItsElliott wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:39 am
alien wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:15 am 6:15-I cant make out what dan’s says here, “i’d rather you were ?? ??? I’m just putting it out there” someone fill me in please
I think he said "I'd rather you were Eddie Redmayne. Just putting it out there". Also known as that really cute lead actor of Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. So, wish phil were a hunky actor / ex-model... hmm interesting comment to make there danny ;) :sideeye:
Ooooh I totally hear that now, thank you!
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

I don't even count that as a gaming video, but idc the banter was on point and it was greatly entertaining. :D I love them dragging each other but remaining all fond and soft about it. Can you drag and flirt at the same time? Because they're doing it. Dan basically still wants to fuck Voldemort.. And Phil still looks like Voldy. PINOF Original is truly a masterpiece that is still relevant today :stan:

The old quiz back when Pottermore was in beta put me in Slytherin (to my surprise at the time.. look at me now y'all probably like 'yeah that makes sense sis') and when they revamped it I took it again and got sorted into Ravenclaw, which had been my 'dream House' when I was young so in the end I won. I consider myself a SlytherClaw :thumb:

Speaking of SlytherClaws, Dan really seemed like one to me. Surprised by Gryffindor but ok sure. And Phil remains a SlytherPuff who is very good at hiding those Slytherin qualities for the video. But we all know.
captainspacecoat wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:40 pm Edit: is anyone else scared shitless that the friends they're hanging out with next week will include Felix, and that they're going to use that time to film the promised Truth Bombs expansion pack vid for gamingmas, prompting me to unsubscribe for good? Really hoping they wouldn't be stupid enough to do that, but you never really know with these guys. Someone please reassure me that I'm being overdramatic and they would never dare :(
You're definitely not the only one.. *stress because expecting the worst is what keeps me alive*
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

I’m wary but really hoping it’s the not-Flipside-anymore office party instead.
captainspacecoat
stress mushroom

Catallena wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:43 am You're definitely not the only one.. *stress because expecting the worst is what keeps me alive*
Same. This is me at the thought of a repeat of the pewdiepie bullshit:

malday wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:46 pm I would't worry about that. Maybe it's their annual management's Christmas party, or just an irl friend's party.
If they ever play Truth Bombs on the channel again i expect it to be with Tyler or even some of the gleamers.
&
alittledizzy wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:07 am I’m wary but really hoping it’s the not-Flipside-anymore office party instead.
I really hope so too, but the way Phil worded it as "hanging out with some buds" makes it sound more casual than an office party to me, and the fact that PJ's birthday is coming up (December 11th) is what truly sounded the alarm bells for me. There's no use stressing out though when we have no actual idea who it is they're hanging with, so I guess I'll do my best to repress my wariness and hope it's just a B&W early Christmas get-together or something.
Last edited by captainspacecoat on Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
obsessivelymoody
emo goose

captainspacecoat wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:40 pm
Edit: is anyone else scared shitless that the friends they're hanging out with next week will include Felix, and that they're going to use that time to film the promised Truth Bombs expansion pack vid for gamingmas, prompting me to unsubscribe for good? Really hoping they wouldn't be stupid enough to do that, but you never really know with these guys. Someone please reassure me that I'm being overdramatic and they would never dare :(
honestly that was my first thought as soon as phil said that...i really hope they aren't that stupid (dan initially stating the 'talking to a certain swede' or whatever shows that they know what they did was bad and harmful, but of course they carried through it all the same anyway—way to be spineless boys :-x—so i'm hoping based on that that they won't do it but they've shown how much more they value their fun than actual people being hurt.) i guess it's just a gross waiting game. i wish it hadn't come to this but tbh i guess it threw me back into being wary instead of the far too trustworthy feeling i build up over the years towards people i don't even know. i guess it's funny because when i first got into them, for the first couple weeks i obsessed over figuring out if they're secretly bad people or not (which sounds really insane, i know...)
anyway, sorry for the weird ramble, but i hope they make the right decision
alch
ar·tic·u·late

obsessivelymoody wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 2:24 am i guess it's funny because when i first got into them, for the first couple weeks i obsessed over figuring out if they're secretly bad people or not (which sounds really insane, i know...)
I do this a lot, honestly. Like I'm terrified of recommending people I've only recently discovered because of potential problematic pasts I'm not aware of.

Honestly I wish the pewdiepie crap had shown up sooner so I'd know to be more wary, I'm worried I'm in too deep and couldn't bring myself to unstan if they keep publicly being friends with him
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

Yeah it's the vagueness of the 'some buds' statement that makes sirens go off with me, which is actually super ridiculous because it's not like D&P have ever been very specific about social plans.

At least this time they wouldn't be lying when saying that they were there for PJ and Sophie I guess? :roll:
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
pastelspectre
stress mushroom
Pronouns: he/him

This Pottermore video was a blessing??? I got such couply vibes from them and the bants were on point. Loved the video and the couply vibes I got from them made my heart warm.
:transheart:
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

Catallena wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:24 am Yeah it's the vagueness of the 'some buds' statement that makes sirens go off with me, which is actually super ridiculous because it's not like D&P have ever been very specific about social plans.

At least this time they wouldn't be lying when saying that they were there for PJ and Sophie I guess? :roll:
Do we get a Dan liveshow Tuesday? Has he pre-made any excuses?

If he does do one, I can't wait to spend the entire thing tense as fuck. My one big hope is that they haven't prefilmed shit and they can't be too far away from London because they need to keep doing a video a day.
captainspacecoat
stress mushroom

alittledizzy wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:03 am
Do we get a Dan liveshow Tuesday? Has he pre-made any excuses?
I don't think so, as I'm pretty sure Tuesday the 5th is when Dan is doing the five-ten minute live performance thingy with Joe Sugg, or whatever it was that Phil mentioned in his liveshow. Still baffled as to what that will entail, but I'm assuming it'll be in the evening so there won't be a liveshow from Dan.
Loafer
sofa crease

I just gotta say, Dan’s mumbled comment about Phil’s nostrils looking like snake slits from the front had me rolling. I can’t think of anyone in my life whose nostrils I’ve had any particular thoughts on. You would have to have particularly large, or small, or hairy or like, glowing nostrils for me to pay any attention to them. Trust Dan to know Phil’s features so well. (Also, Phil just staring at him blankly the whole time made me wonder if he was actually a little offended, his expression reminded me of the spoiled milk comment, which I don’t think he appreciated)
obscureDnPreference
procrastinator
Pronouns: she/her/hers

nigel ratburn wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:42 am
Whommel wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:20 am And I love the A Very Potter Musical reference everytime they say it, it's so wonderfully stupid. I wonder if they actually know where it's from.
I wonder this, too-- it seems to me that "Hufflepuffs are particularly good finders" has become so ubiquitous that people don't realize that it's not actually in the books (kind of like Carole from Glee not actually being a nurse) and that it comes from AVPM. I'm curious to see if other people on here recognize it as a reference to AVPM or didn't know/remember.
I finally watched the last two videos and am catching up on pages here. I'm still two pages behind but I need to comment on this.

I know the original reference from AVPM and I am always surprised to hear people use the term. I know the musical is very well known, but I definitely think that it's somehow become canon, like you said, and thus become more popular than the musical. I'm a happy Hufflepuff and think that it's one of the few lines and things about Hufflepuffs that people remember so it's just seeped into canon. Which is fine by me!

EDIT: Clarification of points.
Last edited by obscureDnPreference on Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
"This is not children's television. I'm 26, I'm depressed, and I need edgy jokes to cope with my anxiety."
Daniel Howell, 10/30/17
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

obscureDnPreference wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:25 am
nigel ratburn wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:42 am
Whommel wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:20 am And I love the A Very Potter Musical reference everytime they say it, it's so wonderfully stupid. I wonder if they actually know where it's from.
I wonder this, too-- it seems to me that "Hufflepuffs are particularly good finders" has become so ubiquitous that people don't realize that it's not actually in the books (kind of like Carole from Glee not actually being a nurse) and that it comes from AVPM. I'm curious to see if other people on here recognize it as a reference to AVPM or didn't know/remember.
I finally watched the last two videos and am catching up on pages here. I'm still two pages behind but I need to comment on this.

I know the original reference is from AVPM and I am always surprised to hear people use the term. I know the musical is very well known, but I definitely think that it's somehow become canon, like you said. I'm a happy Hufflepuff and think that it's one of the few lines and things about Hufflepuffs that people remember so it's just seeped into canon. Which is fine my me!
I do think the term is pretty much ubiquitous now - but it gives me a bit of secret delight when I see anything Starkid did go viral even in unassuming ways.

(Also, lmao @ the Carole from Glee thing. I got like ten shocked/argumentative asks the one time I posted that she wasn't ever stated as a nurse.)
obscureDnPreference
procrastinator
Pronouns: she/her/hers

alittledizzy wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 4:28 am I do think the term is pretty much ubiquitous now - but it gives me a bit of secret delight when I see anything Starkid did go viral even in unassuming ways.
Same. A big point of pride for me is saying "I KNEW WHO DARREN CRISS WAS BEFORE GLEE."
"This is not children's television. I'm 26, I'm depressed, and I need edgy jokes to cope with my anxiety."
Daniel Howell, 10/30/17
whelpkeeper
sad dimple
Pronouns: they/their

:rainbowsparkle1: I'm so happy rn; I'm not the biggest fan of their gaming videos (since I don't enjoy gaming that much) so I wasn't sure what I'd get out of Gamingmas, but I'm pleased with the videos so far. I actually liked Shelter 2, even though the poor babies didn't make it :sobs: it was more harrowing than I'd expected but nice nevertheless

Now Pottermore- when I saw that in my subscription box I nearly died. I'm one of those crazy HP fans (I know some of you guys relate ;) ) so this pleased me endlessly. I totally saw Phil being a Hufflepuff, but Dan being a Gryffindor surprised me a tad bit (I pegged him as more of a Slytherin, and I guess that what he was before so IDK what's more accurate :shrug: ).

I 100% loved seeing them get sorted :love2: I always try and get people to take that test lol (I'm a Ravenclaw just fyi). The only thing I disliked was at 13:00, and Phil said that would count as his candle haul.... no. I need an actual candle video, plz and thx
The air soft as that of Seville in April,
and so fragrant that it was delicious to breathe it.
Secretstanner
truth bomb

I really liked this video, I’m not one for quiz videos but I really enjoyed it. Phil was in such a fun mood and really made the video with all the cute jokingly digs he was making at dan I wish he’d do this more. I don’t know if he’s like this off camera aswel but dan just kinda left him to it. Phil made me genuinely laugh out loud which takes a lot. I hope his flirty atitude stays for the rest of gamingmas.

I didn’t take that them “hanging out with buds” was them hanging out with felix, not that I know anything about him or if he also said he had plans for the same day. I thought they’d be with W&B doing a friend Christmas like they do every year but now I’m questioning that maybe it’s not them at all. They never really say who they make plans with. Like when they said they were going on holiday, even though we knew who they were going with they still say things like “their going way with a couple buds” so if it is felix they are gonna be with I don’t think they changed the way they would word it because they never say.
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

When I heard that "good finders" thing for the first time years ago (probably on Tumblr) it seemed like such an actual thing I genuinely wondered whether the Dutch translations for the books had failed to translate that or something. But I also read them in English so that wouldn't even make sense.. I was basically v confused and a lil annoyed because I thought I had failed as fan. /dramatic
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
RiriPandaHeart2
phabergé

Harry Potter was such a huge part of my life that it was one way I made friends from elementary to college, so seeing Deppy play something related to the franchise made my Potterhead heart happy. <3

Being a book!Ron lover (though I love Rupert Grint as an actor, his filmography outside of HP is awesome :tu: :tu: I hated how they wrote Ron in the movies), I wanted to squeeze Dan's cheeks and tell him it was Neville that had the rat. :roll:

This reminded me however of the mess of my house sorting. During the beta phase, I got Gryffindor. A few months later, when only the first book was available to play, I made another account which sorted me to Ravenclaw. A few years later, when I randomly remembered Pottermore, I made another account which sorted me to Hufflepuff. And then when there was a hype for knowing your Patronus, I made another account and this time I got sorted into Slytherin. (Just a lil fun info, a lot of my law school classmates who also got sorted during law school also got Slytherin. So we have this inside joke that law school brings out one's Slytherin qualities ;) ) :shock:

I'm sorry if this makes me look like a fake fan, but what's A Very Potter Musical? In all my years of being in the fandom (though admittedly I've been very casual about it since the last movie and only interacted with irl Potterfans rather than online), I've never encountered it. Can someone pls. tell me? :( Since it was a reference to something I've never heard of, I was also :hmmm: when they said that line because I've never encountered Hufflepuffs being referred to as good finders. :o I thought it was just a reference to the fact that the Hufflepuff animal is a badger which are good finders. :lol:
P: What are you doing?

D: I'm feeding it to you.

P: Why is it so slow?
VengefulBlue
rainbow nerd
Pronouns: they/them

RiriPandaHeart2 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:07 am I'm sorry if this makes me look like a fake fan, but what's A Very Potter Musical? In all my years of being in the fandom (though admittedly I've been very casual about it since the last movie and only interacted with irl Potterfans rather than online), I've never encountered it. Can someone pls. tell me? :( Since it was a reference to something I've never heard of, I was also :hmmm: when they said that line because I've never encountered Hufflepuffs being referred to as good finders. :o I thought it was just a reference to the fact that the Hufflepuff animal is a badger which are good finders. :lol:
avpm is a parody musical done by starkid productions on youtube. it was kind of a big thing among hp fans around '08/'09. it's actually pretty good, so long as you know it's meant to be a parody (i didn't at first, and was pretty mad that they were butchering canon so badly). all in all, a good silly nerd musical
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

VengefulBlue wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:21 am
RiriPandaHeart2 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 5:07 am I'm sorry if this makes me look like a fake fan, but what's A Very Potter Musical? In all my years of being in the fandom (though admittedly I've been very casual about it since the last movie and only interacted with irl Potterfans rather than online), I've never encountered it. Can someone pls. tell me? :( Since it was a reference to something I've never heard of, I was also :hmmm: when they said that line because I've never encountered Hufflepuffs being referred to as good finders. :o I thought it was just a reference to the fact that the Hufflepuff animal is a badger which are good finders. :lol:
avpm is a parody musical done by starkid productions on youtube. it was kind of a big thing among hp fans around '08/'09. it's actually pretty good, so long as you know it's meant to be a parody (i didn't at first, and was pretty mad that they were butchering canon so badly). all in all, a good silly nerd musical
Here's the specific line that Dan and Phil were referencing!

swofro
angel bean

Ha, same. :platonic:

I enjoy this one. It is far better than the screeching mess of yesterday's lol.

I have nothing else to say beside I make this poll for us just to see how many of us are in which houses. Please take it.
Love is forever
mysterylovescompany
morning quiff

swofro wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:15 am I have nothing else to say beside I make this poll for us just to see how many of us are in which houses. Please take it.
Only 10% are Slytherins???

I was sorted three times into Slytherin on Pottermore back in 2011/2012 (first time was honest, second time i tried to get something else, third time i actively tried to not get slytherin). Idk what I'd be now but hey I was closer to 11 back then than I am now so it's probably what I'd have been if Hogwarts actually existed. When I read the books when I was 11 I never envisioned myself in any house.

I was also super into AVPM/AVPS and was around when the third musical came out. Just thinking about it again gives me such nostalgia. Good times. I also remember showing it to my brother (whom I introduced HP to) and he didn't find it that funny. But his sense of humour is the opposite of mine. :sideeye:

The new video was great. I know it wasn't really a "gaming" video but I really enjoyed the bants. :thumb:
relatablemood
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

I don't think I could stop liking Dan and Phil for liking Felix - I mean, it's already kind of confirmed that they've stayed friends with him. In my books, that makes them flawed, but doesn't make me hate them like I would if Felix went from throwing around slurs and giving Nazis a platform to abusing/harassing individuals. I still hope Felix can turn it around some day, but it would take a lot of apologising and I think he enjoys his edgy, screw the tumberlinas!!11! attitude too much.

But if they filmed Felix with them, promoting their game? Unsubunsubunsub. That's not about being attached to Felix - that's about ££££.

I wonder why everyone seems to talk more about Dan & Felix more than Phil & Felix though. Just because Dan speaks about him more, doesn't mean Phil is innocent or guilty in all of this. You know, he might've cut ties, or he might've stayed friends with Felix like Dan. In any case, I hope all blame doesn't fall on Dan if this thing happens, and Phil gets off scots free because Dan chooses to talk more about social justice and he doesn't. Sure, it makes Dan a hypocrite, but Phil's one too. If you publically support a racist while believing in social justice (even if he doesn't talk about it) then you're a hypocrite no matter what.

End rant from a dumb white girl who didn't need to give her opinion but here I am anyways :ribena:
Dan's a Slytherin everyone who says otherwise are fake fans :cry: I mean, I used to think he was a Ravenclaw... but he's kind of a pseudo-intellectual in that he reads articles and Wikipedia pages but ask him about in-depth books on whatever subject he's read and he'll hesitate.
i want dan's hair and phil's hips
BSV
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

alien wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2017 12:15 am
6:15-I cant make out what dan’s says here, “i’d rather you were ?? ??? I’m just putting it out there” someone fill me in please
Not sure if anyone answered this yet as there is so much to catch up on and i didnt want to lose your post! But im pretty sure he says 'well id rather you were Eddie Redmayne, just putting that out there' after a few listened i caught it, but its very quiet :)

Edit: ah yes someone beat me to it :)