Dan & Phil Part 61: The 2017 Mince Pie Codex

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
LtrllySusan
lava lamp

Wow, I hope that there's a proper recording of this cause I would love to hear the full thing!
autumnhearth
senpai
Pronouns: she/her

obvsly wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:19 am
autumnhearth wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:54 am I get that, I do. And I hope I didn’t come across as too dismissive of people’s reactions. I’m probably just feeling off, and a few more rewatches tomorrow combined with staring at gifs might do the trick. I found myself kind of agreeing with something an anti blog wrote earlier, and well, that’s just not right...
This is interesting. Do you mind linking us to the post? Please? I don’t follow any of them on tumblr and, honestly, I thought being an antiphan blog these days must be quite lonely. Maybe I’m wrong and there’re still many of them around. Oh well.

I love the video. Have rewatched a few times already. :)
Good morning. Sure! Though I’ve got to majorly preface it: now that I’ve found it and reread it, I’ve remembered it’s an anon that said the small thing, I obviously don’t agree with the whole thing and I’m not even sure if I agree the little thing I thought I did in context, lol. It was just seeing all the “that was so gay” posts yesterday, made me remember this. I think that young queer positive Tumblr culture is *way* different than the culturally homophobic teen culture many of us grew up in where saying “that’s so gay” meant stupid or lame. I think all the comments yesterday were meant in a positive way, by people that are lgbt themselves or at least into/supportive of the culture. And even the casual comments on older things D&P have done of “that was pretty gay” are just a subtle joke and not offensive in the way the anon or anti blogger suggest they are. I guess just seeing all the shit posts of “gay, gay, gay” in the phan tag yesterday got to me in a way they haven’t before. But hey it’s the phan tag :shrug:

https://antidemonphannie.tumblr.com/pos ... s-me-about

I think if anything this post kind of goes along (as a bad example) with the conversation right now. Which I love how it’s developed overnight. Great posts Phantasy and blackdenim. British lad is still a mystery to me, even more so because I don’t really watch those guys.

Ooo thanks for posting these LtrlySusan, I’ve been meaning to watch the clips I’ve seen floating around.
peekatyou
drama llama

Some thoughts on the new vid, feel absolutely free to disgree. I still don’t really enjoy (not that I'm supposed to) watching them have physical contact and the reason for that I think is how Dan, sometimes Phi, tends to react. Like, there will inevitably be a moment where Dan yells something like ‘not my neck!/don’t shove your fingers anywhere!/etc,' acting all disturbed, and I just sit there thinking to myself, why did it begin and why did it end like this.
Also I thought the way Dan showed how the challenge works (0:50) was a bit too casual (he's like, look. I can do it easily. not a big deal. re: being extremely close to Phil). Like, Dan, relax... Anyway, they're still in the process of figuring out how to act more natural on camera, so I guess things I don't like are bound to happen.

Would die to see the whole speech Dan gave. I wonder why Phil isn't involved in things like this, I personally think it's a shame
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

It's so interesting to see and hear him talk about things from his perspective in a professional context and in a slightly deeper voice.

There's this clip too ;)
And him walking onto the stage and starting his intro
fancybum
senpai

Ok good D&P didn't disrespect any lgbt+ content and only boringly got accosted by paint n lava, we're all good for another year :tu:

edit: Do you think they specifically asked YT to never have them in group shots ever again after that blue dance (and resulting vlogging nightmare) year? Because ever since it's only been the two of them. My antisocial favs.
Last edited by fancybum on Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me
yellowsubmarine
hobbit hair

fancybum wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:14 pm Ok good D&P didn't disrespect any lgbt+ content and only boringly got accosted by paint n lava, we're all good for another year :tu:
I'm just waiting for gifs, I can't be bothered with YT rewind anymore.

Oh I really wish Dan's speech is recorded somewhere I would do anything I need to watch that!
"Treat yourself, because you're special and you're worth it."
lilabet
philussy
Pronouns: She/Her

yellowsubmarine wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:18 pm
fancybum wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:14 pm Ok good D&P didn't disrespect any lgbt+ content and only boringly got accosted by paint n lava, we're all good for another year :tu:
I'm just waiting for gifs, I can't be bothered with YT rewind anymore.

Oh I really wish Dan's speech is recorded somewhere I would do anything I need to watch that!
I watched it and it wasn’t worth it. Unless I missed a hell of a lot of references this year it didn’t seem to be referencing much at all. It did have mans not hit funnily enough. Almost an excuse to have certain music in it. It had a nice message in the middle but overall very blah.

They’re not in the behind the scenes at all either.
Phandom Gives
@phandomgives on social media. Check out the website for the latest information and current donation drive! <3
LtrllySusan
lava lamp

From YouTube rewind:
:lol: So much about that rebrand

I didn't really like it; it's become a bit too weird and creative for my taste. I haven't heard much about the Paul brothers but the bit that I heard was very negative so it sucks they got so much screentime.
Hoping for some elaborate reddit comment to point out all the references.
autumnhearth
senpai

Yawn. Didn’t care for it overall. The coming together part in the middle was nice and I was kind of hoping D&P would make their cameo there, what with their RedCross support and all. But then again that would involve holding hands with each other or other people. Better to have people throwing goo at them :roll:
lilabet
philussy

autumnhearth wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:41 pm Yawn. Didn’t care for it overall. The coming together part in the middle was nice and I was kind of hoping D&P would make their cameo there, what with their RedCross support and all. But then again that would involve holding hands with each other or other people. Better to have people throwing goo at them :roll:
The holding hands bit was all LA wasn’t it? The uk part was the paint and graveyard and lava.

I see why they didn’t really mention it. Maybe next year they should not do it at all?
Phandom Gives
@phandomgives on social media. Check out the website for the latest information and current donation drive! <3
tigertatze
living flop

Did it get taken down again or why does it say "video not available" for me?
#nohetero
LtrllySusan
lava lamp

tigertatze wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:06 pm Did it get taken down again or why does it say "video not available" for me?
It's supposed to be out at 18 CET but was leaked somehow since it was set to "unlisted" instead of "private". Should be back in 2 hours.
tigertatze
living flop

LtrllySusan wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:08 pm
tigertatze wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:06 pm Did it get taken down again or why does it say "video not available" for me?
It's supposed to be out at 18 CET but was leaked somehow since it was set to "unlisted" instead of "private". Should be back in 2 hours.
Oh well, I already saw some gifs and not like I'm actually interested about any other part of it :shrug:
#nohetero
fancybum
senpai

autumnhearth wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:41 pm Yawn. Didn’t care for it overall. The coming together part in the middle was nice and I was kind of hoping D&P would make their cameo there, what with their RedCross support and all. But then again that would involve holding hands with each other or other people. Better to have people throwing goo at them :roll:
I mean personally speaking I’d prefer a goo fight over having to touch a bunch of randos, it’s not that deep. And also: up to YT who did what.
LtrllySusan wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:08 pm It's supposed to be out at 18 CET but was leaked somehow since it was set to "unlisted" instead of "private". Should be back in 2 hours.
It was ‘leaked’ because they had it as the trailer on their channel lmao. YT doesn’t know what it’s doing?? I am shocked. (But that’s actually really funny, did the uploader maybe not have their coffee this morning? Doy)
Secretstanner
truth bomb

obvsly wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:19 am I'm not sure if I'm rare, but I'm antiphan. Not that I wouldn't support them being together if I'm wrong. But I've had best friend that I lived with for many years that I was super close to, and people have often thought that we were together -- so much so that even my ex boyfriend messaged me and asked if I was a lesbian now :roll: But point being, since I've been in a similar situation before, all I can see them as are best friends that are extremely comfortable around each other from being together so much. I think it's one of those things where there actually probably are still a decent amount of antis, but shippers are more of the vocal group. It's not as fun to point out reasons why people are just friends lol.
Also an antiphan not sure how many of us actually use this forum but at least I’m not alone in thinking the same way. I don’t see their relationship as romantic but platonic because this is currently the relationship I have with a friend at the moment (even family members of both families have maybe comments about what we are to each other) I know antis in 2017 get a lot of shit because we don’t interpret the things you see the same way but I guess I can enjoy their content more because I’m not searching for anything in the video but entertainment. I’m not saying I don’t see the things that would be proof of a relationship because i do but I still think for a few things that could be easily explained. I see a lot of antis and they can be so rude and undermining to people who think they are in a relationship and even as someone who think of their relationship differently it gets too much because their is no need to be nasty about what people believe, it’s simply a difference in opinion. Which is why I would never argue with people who think to them being in a relationship because I’m not saying your wrong and I’m right. I hope you see not all antis are bad people that wanna crush your “ ship”. We just interpret things differently because are of having similar experiences.

Shit Sorry the conversation really moved on :cry: please ignore this if you want because it’s no longer on topic. I just wanted to say this because sometimes it’s hard being in a fandom that not many people share they same opinion as you.
saffarinda
truth bomb

R.E: Phan/Anti-Phan

honestly despite seeing plenty of interactions way more extreme from platonic friends (which i’ve had with friends as well) it’s more about dan and phil’s history and certainty of the future that makes me believe phan is real. as @liola said - dan went to visit phil a ridiculous amount in 2009-2010 until he moved
out of 333 days he spent a minimum of 116 and a potential maximum of 124 with phil... idk how much time (and money on train tickets) you’d be willing to spend on a internet friend you’d just met but taking the 3 hour train ride almost every week to see phil screams a bit more “boyfriend” than “friend” to me
and he speaks about them being together in the future. with mates like joe and casper they always knew they’d eventually move out, get apartments of their own with their s/o’s - dan and phil now always talk about a united future. their home, their dog etc. i love my friends, but i know i won’t be spending the rest of my life living with them, with a mortgage and a dog.

R.E: YT Rewind

i haven’t watched it yet but i’ve heard several people saying it was the worst rewind. apparently half of the references didn’t make sense? idk how paintball has been relevant in 2017 tbh but okay
25/04/2017 - #blessed
obscureDnPreference
procrastinator
Pronouns: she/her/hers

fancybum wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:14 pm edit: Do you think they specifically asked YT to never have them in group shots ever again after that blue dance (and resulting vlogging nightmare) year? Because ever since it's only been the two of them. My antisocial favs.
Can you explain the 'resulting vlogging nightmare' and what that means? That Rewind occurred when I was on a yt hiatus so I've seen the vlogs and the Rewind, but I don't know what the community was like at the time.
"This is not children's television. I'm 26, I'm depressed, and I need edgy jokes to cope with my anxiety."
Daniel Howell, 10/30/17
lilabet
philussy

obscureDnPreference wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:05 pm
fancybum wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:14 pm edit: Do you think they specifically asked YT to never have them in group shots ever again after that blue dance (and resulting vlogging nightmare) year? Because ever since it's only been the two of them. My antisocial favs.
Can you explain the 'resulting vlogging nightmare' and what that means? That Rewind occurred when I was on a yt hiatus so I've seen the vlogs and the Rewind, but I don't know what the community was like at the time.
I think it was just that a everyone was vlogging and trying to get them in the video for views. Also they had to dance.
Phandom Gives
fancybum
senpai

Well, vlogging nightmare for D&P, it was a GOLDMINE for us. But I just meant they (particularly Dan) didn’t seem all that comfortable being trapped on a set for hours with annoying vloggers sticking cameras in their faces (or so subtly :roll: filming them in the background of shots). Just didn’t look very enjoyable and I wouldn’t be surprised if they requested to be slightly more solo after that.
lilabet wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:10 pm Also they had to dance.
That too :lol: , maybe that was the real issue.
malday
emo goose

I didn't get to see the video before it was privated but gifs of D&P are nice
I'm guessing the first is a reference to the floor is lava, but i don't know what being attacked by paintballs is supposed to reference.
I was under the impression that this year there was going to be a boycott to protest the issues on yt (from Tom's vlog), but it looks like a lot of big youtubers still did it.
Last edited by malday on Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

fancybum wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:14 pm
Well, vlogging nightmare for D&P, it was a GOLDMINE for us. But I just meant they (particularly Dan) didn’t seem all that comfortable being trapped on a set for hours with annoying vloggers sticking cameras in their faces (or so subtly :roll: filming them in the background of shots). Just didn’t look very enjoyable and I wouldn’t be surprised if they requested to be slightly more solo after that.
I just went back to rewatch that compilaton, it was nine actual minutes of Dan and Phil compiled from other people's vlogs - honestly, it's beautiful, but I do really think they hated it. (Dan especially.)

sonicgreen
woodland creature

YT rewind was pretty terrible this year, just grateful “a certain swede” wasn’t invited. Also I thought the “paint” throwing was slime??? I guess that was a trend?? (tbh no YT rewind will top 2014, it was just so well-organized) Deppy looked good but they were just instructed to show up, make funny faces, and be there for 2 seconds in the final product. I find it kind of shocking it was unlisted early... someone at YT is in trouble.
relatablemood
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

alittledizzy wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:40 pm I just went back to rewatch that compilaton, it was nine actual minutes of Dan and Phil compiled from other people's vlogs - honestly, it's beautiful, but I do really think they hated it. (Dan especially.)

DAN GAVE SO MANY GLARES, SIDE LOOKS AT PHIL AND *LOOKS INTO THE CAMERA LIKE ON THE OFFICE* BDASNKA :rofl:

I don't like the whole YouTube Rewind thing but deppy looked gorgeous.
i want dan's hair and phil's hips
mysterylovescompany
morning quiff

relatablemood wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:56 pm
alittledizzy wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:40 pm I just went back to rewatch that compilaton, it was nine actual minutes of Dan and Phil compiled from other people's vlogs - honestly, it's beautiful, but I do really think they hated it. (Dan especially.)

DAN GAVE SO MANY GLARES, SIDE LOOKS AT PHIL AND *LOOKS INTO THE CAMERA LIKE ON THE OFFICE* BDASNKA :rofl:
wow i remember watching some of these clips ages ago and am forcibly reminded of why i only watch deppy-endorsed deppy content. this is so so so so cringe to watch. you can feel the tension rolling off them in waves. it's been talked about before but it's so blatantly obvious how most of the other youtubers try to get deppy in the background of their vlogs to snatch views from deppy's audience. :sideeye: if they never did rewind again i wouldn't miss it at all.
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

Just gonna drop in to say one bit of Rewind I liked is the glimpse of Phil's bright blue underwear ;) I thought the first song, holding hands in solidarity against tragedy, and all the slime were pretty good, as were Deps' moments, though fleeting.

I always wonder how uncomfortable they were in the blue Rewind with Dan passing Phil the box and it containing a baby's dummy/pacifier. There's not much wiggle room for what it means. I have no idea of what the classroom, blueness or throwback to Clueless was meant to refer to that year so just maybe there was another meaning to it, but still they had Deps do it out of everyone else there. They could have picked any two of the other guys or girls if they wanted two the same gender for that joke.