Dan & Phil Part 61: The 2017 Mince Pie Codex

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

Not my favorite, but it was a fun watch. I'm curious about what is in that basement now. I wonder if they'll play it more when the full version of the game is out? Maybe if there's a demand.

Rewind was boring and kinda shit.
rizzo wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:36 am I discovered something a bit pointlessly interesting. Remember Dan's obnoxious Cyber Monday tweet?
He deleted it!

Our King of Capitalism, Philip Lester, would never. Every #spon, timely or not, is a beautiful addition to his twitter feed.

Is Dan ashamed of the #spon? Does shilling for IRL too often make him break out in hives? The world may never know.

More relevantly, I really genuinely enjoyed today's video and would love them to play more of whatever that game was. I wanna know what's in the basement.
2018 Prediction: Phan will break up after their tour because Phil finds out that Dan is a communist.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
Reizam
butt chair

fieldoflovers wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:12 am
whelpkeeper wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:01 am Definitely wasn't a big fan of this year's Rewind either, it literally just felt like an excuse to use popular songs and most of the "references" didn't seem too topical :shrug:

I literally could not find the answer to this anywhere, and I didn't know where to post this question so here goes nothing: what on earth does it mean to "Haru" something? thx :love2:
When Dan got his Haru body pillow, people would always ask about it in liveshows and he'd basically says 'what Haru pillow' he'd essentially be the embodiment of this gif https://www.google.ca/search?q=i+don%2 ... eLMFtRb5M:
not sure if I inserted the gif right, it's the Mariah Carey one where she says "I don't know I can't read suddenly"
so basically to Haru something issue to sidestep it.
Yup that's pretty much it. Here's a fun little compilation of Dan and Haru's relationship:
parallel
phabergé
Pronouns: she/her

Hey, how spoiler-y is the Hello Neighbor vid? Because I wanna watch it but I also want to wait to play HN blind. But if it won't give anything major away, I might give in and just watch it haha.

Sorry this doesn't contribute to discussion, delete this if it's a problem mods
greenergrass
stress mushroom

julian wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:48 am Hey, how spoiler-y is the Hello Neighbor vid? Because I wanna watch it but I also want to wait to play HN blind. But if it won't give anything major away, I might give in and just watch it haha.

Sorry this doesn't contribute to discussion, delete this if it's a problem mods
I would say it's not very spoiler-y at all. It reveals the basic premise of the game obviously, but they don't complete it or reach any kind of conclusion. Someone actually posted earlier in the thread that they tried to find the answer to the 'secret' of the game or whatever you want to call it, and there actually isn't one in this demo, not until the full game comes out apparently.

Hope this helps, and maybe someone else will chime in and give you a better answer. But imo nothing major is given away.
nøx
spork
Pronouns: they/them

998274 wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2017 11:04 pm someone pointed out on Tumblr that it seems like dan isn't wearing pants (9:00)? Is it that hot in their apartment?
(I’m not really sure anymorethat this is actually what happened, I can’t read this situation at all, but) I was wondering why Phil hit the table to get Dan to sit back up :lol:
(at least that’s what I thought the first time I watched)
WrongEraDreamer
phillion/danosaur <//3

Skylar wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:49 am
also, i hope this doesn't get me attacked but i would like to see dan and phil play doki doki literature club. i just watched jack's playthrough of it and it's such a good game. however i would understand if they didn't want to bc a- it touches on hard hitting subjects, and b- it has a /lot/ of dialogue, like dream daddy does.
I thought the same as you!!! The game is amazing and I actually downloaded it to play it myself, but.... yeah.... I have no hope of them playing it and I completely understand why. And certainly after Dream Daddy there are even less chances of them doing it, but oh well, I'll just re watch Jack.

As for Rewind...... I was bored. I mean I am glad "Despacito" is such a huge success because it's Colombian and I like it when the world recognises the talent here :bigthumbsup: but aside from that and DnP it was pretty boring for me.
dancy
procrastinator

I liked the Hello Neighbor video and I hope they'll play the actual game as well! It's a lot more developed, there's more to explore, more backstory and it's got a bit of a puzzle element to it.

I've been seeing a bunch of comments from people asking them to play DDLC but I've already expressed that I hope they won't play it and knowing them, they'd never finish it anyway.
LtrllySusan
lava lamp

Nice video, would love to see them play it again! I watched Hello Neighbour a bit when the hype started and from what I remember, the later levels get more and more absurd, but if they wanted to give level 1 a try again, I'd watch!

Something that I am not sure many people care about but that stuck out very clearly for me during this video - the video quality was kinda shit? You can't look up bitrates (which indicate the quality) for YT videos, but I went ahead and took a screenshot of the same scene from a Jacksepticeye video:
And this isn't a "blurry" frame like you'd have with real-life footage; that doesn't happen in games. Especially the night scenes really suffered from the bad quality.

Aside from the bitrate problem, they are also still uploading in 25 fps?! Sure, not every game (especially not the shitty flash games) run 60 fps, but a lot should and I would also really love for their camera quality to be 60 fps. Even PINOF1 was 30 fps, lol. If you don't know what impact a higher fps has, watch this example.

TL;DR: Can we please have a "upgrade your video quality" petition?
Flomy
sofa crease

I liked the video, didn't expect to but I laughed a couple of times because of the neighbor, especially when he was a giant. I found the quality of the video really bad too @LtrllySusan, in the dark I couldn't even make out what half of the stuff was. I'll sign your petition!
Also, Dan looks so small to me in the last few videos??? Idk but it's cute.
rainydays
sofa crease

LtrllySusan wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:25 am Something that I am not sure many people care about but that stuck out very clearly for me during this video - the video quality was kinda shit? You can't look up bitrates (which indicate the quality) for YT videos, but I went ahead and took a screenshot of the same scene from a Jacksepticeye video:
And this isn't a "blurry" frame like you'd have with real-life footage; that doesn't happen in games. Especially the night scenes really suffered from the bad quality.
I know nothing about this topic, so this is just a guess, but couldn't it be because they played the demo version, as they mentioned? I don't know which one Jack played though.

Anyway, I liked the video enough, but it wasn't a favorite. Dan yelling in my ears at 11:30 pm didn't help, I think. I'm not sure I want them to play it again.
However, I must say, this video was somehow scarier than any of the ones they played during Spooky Week. I never get jumpscared, but even I jumped a bit when that huge head appeared at the window.

re yt rewind: I didn't like it at all. Very disappointing. The whole concept was messy and confusing and WHY so many fidget spinners?? I usually really like rewind and my favorite is the one from last year, not only deppy's part but the whole thing, but this one was the worst in years. Also I hate Despacito with a passion.

re today's video: I would be fine with either Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes or Truth Bombs, but I'm hoping for the latter. The last time they played it was hilarious and one of my favorite videos on the gaming channel this year probably.

I forgot to comment on the Not My Arms video yesterday, but needless to say, I loved it. It was a lot of fun. I'm just hoping they haven't peaked too early in gamingmas :lol:
captainspacecoat
stress mushroom

I really enjoyed that video, it gets a solid 7.5-8/10 from me. They seemed really immersed in the game, and as such so was I. Also immensely relieved to find that F*lix was not involved in their "hanging out with buds" (at least so far, fingers crossed he doesn't make an appearance tomorrow). And I'd be happy with either another bomb disposal vid or Truth Bombs with PJ & Sophie (as much as I continue to side-eye them, but what can ya do I suppose).

In more important news Australia just officially legalised marriage equality (it still has to be approved by the Governor-General, but it's pretty much through), which is a nice thing that happened in the world today and I am happy about it :')
rainydays
sofa crease

rainydays wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:46 am
LtrllySusan wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 8:25 am Something that I am not sure many people care about but that stuck out very clearly for me during this video - the video quality was kinda shit? You can't look up bitrates (which indicate the quality) for YT videos, but I went ahead and took a screenshot of the same scene from a Jacksepticeye video:
I know nothing about this topic, so this is just a guess, but couldn't it be because they played the demo version, as they mentioned? I don't know which one Jack played though.
Never mind, apparently the demo version is the only one that's out, so that's probably not it.

Sorry for the double post, I missed the editing window.
rainydays
sofa crease

I'm so sorry for the third post in a row, but I don't think anyone has posted this.

I love how Phil and Sophie have the exact same expression lol
obvsly
#relatable

Ugh. This double date is disgustingly cute.

I wanted to reply to some posts about phan/antiphan but the conversation has moved on a long time ago so I'm just gonna say hey I read them all and I get you. :)

Oh! And @blackdenim, yay another McFly fan!!! :woohoo:
flarequake
not an airport stalker
Pronouns: She/her

My guess about Jack's video being better quality is that he has better equipment. I don't know how much of the game looking better in his video is down to his PC being more powerful so all games look better or if it's his recording equipment, but he gets some stuff given to him, doesn't he? I don't watch him enough to know for sure, but I think he's mentioned it.

Loving all these Winter Wonderland photos, though Phil looked pretty scary in the ice throne photo, their body language couldn't be much colder.
LtrllySusan
lava lamp

flarequake wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:27 am My guess about Jack's video being better quality is that he has better equipment. I don't know how much of the game looking better in his video is down to his PC being more powerful so all games look better or if it's his recording equipment, but he gets some stuff given to him, doesn't he? I don't watch him enough to know for sure, but I think he's mentioned it.
The quality issues have nothing to do with their equipment; Hello Neighbour is not very graphic intense. It's got to do with the quality settings they choose for recording their screen and when they export the video after editing it. I have no doubt that their equpiment can handle 1080p @ 60 fps videos and if their camera can't record 60 fps, it's time for an upgrade. It's 2017 and they are professional YouTubers who can afford it and don't have to rely on freebies. A very good graphics card costs €600+ which shouldn't be a lot of money for someone who owns sweaters more expensive than that.

(I think JSE built his own computer and I don't remember any #spon mention in his recording setup tour.)
Kimship
glabella

The 25/30fps is probably intentional and might be because it looks closer to traditional film(24fps) than 60fps. Many people think that these lower framerates look nicer, especially because our eyes have been sort of trained to see it that way after so many decades of watching film.
LtrllySusan
lava lamp

Kimship wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:44 am The 25/30fps is probably intentional and might be because it looks closer to traditional film(24fps) than 60fps. Many people think that these lower framerates look nicer, especially because our eyes have been sort of trained to see it that way after so many decades of watching film.
While I personally disagree with that, the argument does not apply to game play.
The bottom, 24fps example with motion blur looks pretty ok. That's basically what we are used to from RL footage - blurry frames make up for the lack of frames by connecting them (imaging "arm up" - "arm blurry" - "arm down").
Most games don't have motion blur though, so 24 fps will look pretty choppy. To make up for that, video games need to be played/recorded at a higher frame rate, such as 60 fps. The ball in the top example looks just as smooth as the bottom one, but also crisper.

I just checked a selection of Let's Play YouTubers and couldn't find one that wasn't 60 fps. And if you look at competitive games on Twitch, they are streamed at 60 fps as well. It's the industry standard by now.

Disclaimer: I am not an educated professional on these matters either so if I am wrong, please let me know. I just browse reddit a lot and read stuff.
Kimship
glabella

LtrllySusan wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 12:13 pm
Kimship wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 11:44 am The 25/30fps is probably intentional and might be because it looks closer to traditional film(24fps) than 60fps. Many people think that these lower framerates look nicer, especially because our eyes have been sort of trained to see it that way after so many decades of watching film.
While I personally disagree with that, the argument does not apply to game play.
But you(or someone, I'm on my phone so it's hard to double check) also mentioned their camera quality and compared it to PINOF1. PINOF1 doesn't look bad because of framerate, is all. 25fps is very industry standard to give video a "film" look, which is why they might use it in general. Hell, they may use it in gaming so they don't have to fuss too often with camera settings as I'm fairly sure they use the same camera for everything.
Grey
lady door

“nigel ratburn” wrote: i did some research because i desperately needed to know and apparently the answer is NOTHING until the actual game comes out so no one knows yet :sideeye: it comes out it TWO DAYS, why couldn't they just have waited and given me some damn closure????
Lol ok then I’m glad they didn’t get into the basement. That’s even worse!
“hello9217” wrote: My theory on why they keep bringing up cars and driving: since they are not getting a tour bus they are going to rent a car and drive around America while on tour
I thought this too. But personally I find driving really tiring because you have to be super alert and always paying attention (especially on highways where it’s boring and tempting to not pay attention), so driving themselves to their tour stops seems a bit much to me. On the other hand, it might be more relaxing to not have a crew around all the time. Hmmm

Question about video quality: why would they not do their videos at those settings? Is it faster to download at the lower setting? Are people with bad wifi still able to watch high setting videos? There must be a reason they don’t so I’m curious what that is.
I'm having a stress.
autumnhearth
senpai

The frame rate discussion is interesting, though I have nothing to contribute. I still haven’t watched Hello Neighbor as I was watching my nephew yesterday for 6 hours and I may just wait until tonight.
(Wow self control, that’s new. Might be because it’s a bit creepy and I want to watch with the husband, might be because I just want to watch Bake-Off on Netflix)
flarequake wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:27 am Loving all these Winter Wonderland photos, though Phil looked pretty scary in the ice throne photo, their body language couldn't be much colder.
I think he’s just striking a bad ass/intimidating bouncer pose, he’s done that a few times before. Damn those cheek bones, they look sharper than the ice.

I just wanted to share this fan pic on here because I like Dan’s scarf and you can’t really see it in any of the other photos.
whelpkeeper
sad dimple
Pronouns: they/their

Reizam wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:27 am
fieldoflovers wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:12 am
whelpkeeper wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:01 am
I literally could not find the answer to this anywhere, and I didn't know where to post this question so here goes nothing: what on earth does it mean to "Haru" something? thx :love2:
When Dan got his Haru body pillow, people would always ask about it in liveshows and he'd basically says 'what Haru pillow' he'd essentially be the embodiment of this gif https://www.google.ca/search?q=i+don%2 ... eLMFtRb5M:
not sure if I inserted the gif right, it's the Mariah Carey one where she says "I don't know I can't read suddenly"
so basically to Haru something issue to sidestep it.
Yup that's pretty much it. Here's a fun little compilation of Dan and Haru's relationship:
Thanks a million guys!! xx
The air soft as that of Seville in April,
and so fragrant that it was delicious to breathe it.
fancybum
senpai

Hey can somebody give a review of the advent calendar chocolate? And if it’s really good, could you lie to me and tell me it tastes like garbage? I may or may not have misplaced mine and may or may not have a weeks worth (and counting) of chocolate to eat if I ever find it.. Maybe it ran off with all my missing lip balms to live happily ever after.
Thanks and have a great day! Oil me
alien
procrastinator

autumnhearth wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:06 pm

I just wanted to share this fan pic on here because I like Dan’s scarf and you can’t really see it in any of the other photos.
Thank you for posting this! I hadn't noticed his scarf and I love it.

re: Hello Neighbor - I wasn't looking forward to them playing it because I have a nephew who has been obsessed with it this whole year to the point it was driving me crazy having to listen to him constantly talk about it/watch him play it but I actually really enjoyed DnP playing it. I'd love to watch them play through the whole game now because it does get a lot more absurd the further into the game you play and their commentary on things is hilarious.
quercussp
living flop

fancybum wrote: Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:46 pm Hey can somebody give a review of the advent calendar chocolate? And if it’s really good, could you lie to me and tell me it tastes like garbage? I may or may not have misplaced mine and may or may not have a weeks worth (and counting) of chocolate to eat if I ever find it.. Maybe it ran off with all my missing lip balms to live happily ever after.
it tastes like garbage.
it's actually pretty good chocolate and i'm really enjoying it. my only criticism is that the chocolates aren't really big,
but that's probably a good thing