Dan & Phil Part 61: The 2017 Mince Pie Codex

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
pearshaped34
morning quiff

Glad they played truth bombs again. I would seriously love to see them play some none self-spon board games on the gaming channel in the future. (I won't be holding my breath mind.)

Although that being said I agree with others that other than giving them enough players to actually play the game PJ and Sophie didn't really add much of anything to the video.
Sometimes D&P really do zero in on each other so much that whoever is around them has nobody to bounce off. I don't know if this behavior is actually worse when their with actual friends because with youtubers they don't know well they feel the need to at least try and be polite and focus on them but with friends they don't feel the need to make an effort and can just be natural selves and be all about each other.

Regarding the subscriber question; well it's not like Dan and Phil aren't aware Dan has a *few* more subscribers than Phil before now but I guess as they don't really publicly acknowledge it much having it pointed out in a video probably is a bit awkward for them.

I'd be surprised if Dan wrote it himself though because I would have personally thought it was more awkward for him to have to read out than it was for Phil to hear. :shrug:
Last edited by pearshaped34 on Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:20 am, edited 5 times in total.
sonicgreen
woodland creature

Kimship wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:09 am
000dia000 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:36 am I thought it was a great video, but as usual other people in a collab with the two might as well be cardboard, I realize now. The two only really bounce off each other, doesn't matter how many people are there, everybody feels like a collective third-wheel.
This Is why I'd like to see them play the game with Tyler Oakley, because I think he could hold his own and has a lot of energy and isn't afraid of being loud. I don't have a fourth in mind, though. Anyone have any other youtuber you wish they would play with?
I was rewatching some of the Connor Franta collabs from a few summers ago… I didn't mind him, I thought he had quite a nice energy? Would really like another collab with him and I think truth bombs would be a good match.

edit: we're nearing page 40 on the thread, boys do something title-worthy
obvsly
#relatable
Pronouns: she/her

alien wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:50 am I think Phil was actually less offended by the subscriber answer than he was with the spoiled milk answer from last time lol.
I felt that too! Phil was actively offended that the only person who would know the real answer Dan would think he tastes like spoiled milk. :lol: I love that Phil cried "Ouch!" after the subscriber question, and PJ made a face, biting his lip. Naughty boy. It was not as awkward as it could have been. All in all I really enjoyed the video. The cheese smut was hilarious and Dan was just weirdly good at making it up on the spot. Or maybe he's actually already written one...
Last edited by obvsly on Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
alien
procrastinator

000dia000 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:36 am I thought it was a great video, but as usual other people in a collab with the two might as well be cardboard, I realize now. The two only really bounce off each other, doesn't matter how many people are there, everybody feels like a collective third-wheel.
This Is why I'd like to see them play the game with Tyler Oakley, because I think he could hold his own and has a lot of energy and isn't afraid of being loud. I don't have a fourth in mind, though. Anyone have any other youtuber you wish they would play with?
I think Mamrie Hart would be a good fourth for a game with Tyler. She can hold her own and has good chemistry with Tyler. She doesn't really know Dan and Phil as well but I think it'd still be pretty funny.
sonicgreen wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:58 am alien OH MY the spoiled milk question was so offensive to Phil, he couldn't speak for a full 15 seconds like wow, never forget
I feel bad that I enjoyed that moment as much as I did lol. It was such a genuine reaction from Phil though.
thatone
delia smith

Ooh - would love to see Tyler play! Also Louise imo.
Amiaw
interactive introvert

I liked this video - I actually did gasp a little with the subscriber question - it was a bit more savage than what we usually see on their channel but otherwise I found it rewatchable.

I'd like to know why it was such a large editing job because Phil felt comfortable leaving the cheese fic and other strange stuff in the video so what did he feel like he had to chop out??
cerulean
smol bean

This is the quietest I've ever seen PJ with DnP, I wonder what was up? Let's be honest though, the number of youtuber friends they have to play with is pretty slim. Half of them live in American, and most of their UK friends don't come in pairs. I think having Louise play would be a hoot, she had that out-there sense of humour. They could just play with 3 people? In fact, they don't even need to collab, they could just ask each other questions for 20 mins and it'd be 10x as entertaining.

Phil was on point, just love his sense of humour. These kind of games really showcase his creativity. Moar, please!!! :tu:
mathsniel
drama llama
Pronouns: he/him

Whilst I love the suggestions coming out for people Dap should play truth bombs with (esp Tyler Oakley!), I would rather see a longer, quicker video of them playing truth bombs than one with super special guests. I'd love to see them and some friends doing 3 or 4 rounds, but instead of lingering on each point and having a two minute discussion about each answer, moving on and making it faster paced. Don't get me wrong, listening to Phil ramble about macrophilia is cute, but my issue with the truth bombs vids is that people don't normally play like that? Occasionally people might discuss an answer after it's read out, but not to the extent the boys & co do? like, with the dragon fanfiction one, they had to mention that Sophie had been talking about dragons so the audience had that context. You don't get that if you're casually playing a game with friends. :shrug: I just think seeing them playing a little more casually would A) make the videos seem less... promo-y/game show worthy? and B) would allow their guests to shine because Dappy wouldn't be explaining something every 2 minutes etc.
thephandommenace
procrastinator
Pronouns: they/them

I'm pretty sure PJ wrote that subscriber question - Sophie wrote the tiny Phil one, Dan was very into his cheese-eating-off-body fic description (and they've definitely joked together about it before, e.g. the sushi comment in the Sims video), plus PJ looked mischievous when the question was read out, Dan looked uncomfortable, and PJ said they wouldn't thank him for being there if they'd known what he wrote. :spy:

I enjoyed this video a lot! I found the subscriber question very funny (if harsh), because I've always wanted to see how they'd react to that unspoken elephant in the room The Room. It doesn't seem like something Phil would be too bothered about, it's been that way since what, 2012? Plus when it comes to their core fanbase and not casual viewers they have pretty much the same amount of fans anyway (and most people root for Phil and hold Dan accountable for everything, haha).
socksparadox
glabella
Pronouns: any

I'd love to see them play it with Jenna and Julien! I feel like J&J have just as strong personalities as deppy and I think they'd have great chemistry with eachother!
First post again after months of lurking lmao hi
♡ 𝚍𝚎𝚜𝚙𝚒𝚝𝚎 𝚎𝚟𝚎𝚛𝚢𝚝𝚑𝚒𝚗𝚐, 𝚒𝚝'𝚜 𝚜𝚝𝚒𝚕𝚕 𝚢𝚘𝚞. :napsta:
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

sonicgreen wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:11 amedit: we're nearing page 40 on the thread, boys do something title-worthy
Yes, please - if anyone has thread name suggestions leave them here!
hello9217
flower crown

It sucks that it looks like the video got demonotized. It’s probably because it has the word bomb in the title. Hopefully they can get an appeal for that one.
malday
emo goose

hello9217 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:13 am It sucks that it looks like the video got demonotized. It’s probably because it has the word bomb in the title. Hopefully they can get an appeal for that one.
I checked and it's also hidden in restricted mode, while the first one isn't and is still monetized. It sucks because this means it will be pushed down and won't get the views it should.
greenergrass
stress mushroom

alittledizzy wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:13 am
rizzo wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 12:05 am I felt mild second-hand discomfort throughout that entire vid, but all-in-all, still great

The subscriber thing was superrrr awkward, but they played it off well. I think. Eh.

8/10 I guess.
Strong secondhand discomfort as well, though sadistically I enjoyed how much Dan did not want to read that subscriber count question out. This kind of weird vibe between them all is fascinating to me, definitely a case of (as someone else pointed out earlier) us knowing they're friends in real life but real life comfort not always translating to a video.

But still a solidly entertaining twenty minutes.
I usually get bad secondhand embarrassment but I actually didn't really feel that in this video. I think I actually liked this video more than the last truth bombs one (maybe because the questions were dan and phil related? So it was more relatable to us, in a way). I laughed out loud a few times, and it's pretty rare for me to actually laugh out loud during youtube vids. And Dan's facial expressions killed me while he was reading the subscriber question. That was the only part I found slightly awkward, but dan's face was hilarious/adorable so it made up for it.

Also alittledizzy - I thought of you during the touching part; 6:30 - PJ: "My leg is firmly touching dan's leg." Dan: "With intent" PJ: "We're sharing a trouser leg". kickthefire is still going strong

I don't know much about Sophie and she was pretty quiet here, but I get a good vibe from her based on this one video. She's seems nice and like someone I'd want to be friends with.

And one more thing - 14:56 PJ: "Hiding it plain sight, that's what I call that". Too accurate...
obvsly
#relatable

I don't know if you saw this but looks like they've become one person once again.

It's for "YouTuber Of The Year" at the 2017 Unicorn Awards

Dan is also nominated in 2 more categories, Social Impact Award and Video of the Year. And the phandom is up for Fandom Of The Year. :lol:

Vote for them if you will, but I'd rather not. Click on the picture to vote and it takes you to a pop-up window prompting you to write a tweet. How thirsty. :roll:
greenergrass
stress mushroom

Just posting this tweet because for once dan used ao3 instead of wattpad as the go-to fanfic reference. I was starting to get a bit concerned that the guy only seemed to be aware of wattpad as the #1 fic source. Someone needs to send him some better recs.

Obvs joking around, but really though, I cringe whenever youtubers etc mention wattpad, am I the only one? Not just because it's fanfic but because it's (generally, I'm sure there's some good writers there) bad fanfic.
alch
ar·tic·u·late

I liked that video! It lowkey felt like Pj and Sophie were just extras they'd hired, as deppy took up basically all of the spotlight. I agree with suggestions of Tyler Oakley or someone who could actually hold up a conversation.

Overall, a pretty good video but felt more like it was a Dan and Phil video and the other two were there so that the game would work.
cerulean
smol bean

hello9217 wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:13 am It sucks that it looks like the video got demonotized. It’s probably because it has the word bomb in the title. Hopefully they can get an appeal for that one.
I've always wondered, how do you tell if a vid is demonetized or not? I don't see ads anyways since I use adblock.
hello9217
flower crown

cerulean wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:06 am
I've always wondered, how do you tell if a vid is demonetized or not? I don't see ads anyways since I use adblock.
Yeah I have YouTube Red but I saw some people on Tumblr mention they didn’t have any ads when it first showed up so I opened a private window to look. There should be an ad when it first starts and since the video is over 10 minutes there should 100% be an ad in the middle which there is not.
Kimship
glabella

socksparadox wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:54 am I'd love to see them play it with Jenna and Julien! I feel like J&J have just as strong personalities as deppy and I think they'd have great chemistry with each other!
Oh, that combo would be fun! Although deppy might get distracted by Kermit and the other dogs(since they're more likely to be in LA than the reverse).

Just posting this tweet because for once dan used ao3 instead of wattpad as the go-to fanfic reference. I was starting to get a bit concerned that the guy only seemed to be aware of wattpad as the #1 fic source. Someone needs to send him some better recs.

Obvs joking around, but really though, I cringe whenever youtubers etc mention wattpad, am I the only one? Not just because it's fanfic but because it's (generally, I'm sure there's some good writers there) bad fanfic.
I've tried wattpad a couple times, but the layout and structure of the site is NOT fun to navigate. Even the Pit of Voles is better (although wattpad IS better than tumblr for fic-reading), but AO3 is my fave. I remember it being developed after Strikethrough on livejournal, I think? Or after ffn banned "mature" stories? One or both of those; my memory is fuzzy.

Edited: My 30th post! This is definitely the most active I've been in any fandom since livejournal!fandom died.
pilotlight
#relatable

alien wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:18 amI think Mamrie Hart would be a good fourth for a game with Tyler. She can hold her own and has good chemistry with Tyler. She doesn't really know Dan and Phil as well but I think it'd still be pretty funny.
:pls:
I can't see it ever happening, but I love Mamrie and I love Tyler's collabs with Dan and I'd definitely bribe Capitalester to see this. Or the 4 of them having (another) go at CAH.
Catallena
classy cat lady
classy cat lady

Yes boys, work to get some of those Truth Bomb orders in for Christmas! Capita£ester was also very worried about how much tiny!Phil would be getting paid lmao, he always delivers on keeping my jokes relevant. :ribena:

PJ and Sophie didn't add much to the video aside from.. being necessary to play the game? Getting in between D&P's chemistry and banter about their married life must be the worst thing about being their friend, even off camera. Phil going on and on about macrophilia was incredible (I'll also be avoiding any Phan NSFW tags for the next 2 weeks). The subscriber thing was awkward as hell, I cringed so bad I went downstairs to get myself some ice tea before continuing with the video.

Also Phan is dead and I now only ship Phod.
obvsly wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:40 am I don't know if you saw this but looks like they've become one person once again.

It's for "YouTuber Of The Year" at the 2017 Unicorn Awards

Dan is also nominated in 2 more categories, Social Impact Award and Video of the Year. And the phandom is up for Fandom Of The Year. :lol:

Vote for them if you will, but I'd rather not. Click on the picture to vote and it takes you to a pop-up window prompting you to write a tweet. How thirsty. :roll:
WeTheUnicorns can go fuck themselves tbh.
Twitter *•.(★).•* Tumblr
rainydays
sofa crease

There was a lot in this video. I definitely enjoyed it and will rewatch, but I think I liked the first one better. Idk why, I think maybe tom and hazel were stronger personalities and kept up with dan and phil's one-on-one banter a bit better than pj and sophie did (tom especially).
I think dan and phil made a very wise choice picking them for the first truth bombs video. They're obviously far closer to pj and sophie, but that doesn't mean that the on screen chemistry works the same way.

pj and sophie were definitely third wheeling, which made the video slightly uncomfortable to watch at times. dan and phil seem so used to just interact with each other on camera that they don't know how to include other people in their banter. Everyone ends up having a hard time trying to catch up with all the innuendos and explicit sexual references and inside jokes. I don't envy people who collab with them at all.

I'm 100% convinced pj wrote the subscribers question, because I think it's clear that dan wrote the cheese one, seeing as he went in so much detail with the fanfiction lmao.
It makes sense than pj would write that about phil, after all he's known him for years, even longer than dan has. If there's anyone who wouldn't be afraid to offend phil, it's him.
I think dan could have written something like that in a private setting, like if they were playing among friends instead of filming a video. He's super aware of himself and their audience, he's the one who made sure to clarify multiple times that when he teases or yells at phil in gaming videos it's all banter and he's not actually being mean to him. I don't think he would have made that joke when he couldn't be sure how many people would understand it was just teasing.

I honestly cringed to death the first time I watched, because I wasn't expecting something so harsh, I guess. I had to pause the video for like a minute before continuing. But the second time around I knew it was coming and I ended up finding the whole thing kinda funny. I think dan was obviously embarrassed, but not about the question itself, more because he knew they had an audience. As I said before, I don't think he would have had a problem with it in private. He probably would have teased phil so much in that case, but with us watching he has to remember not everyone gets their dynamic of constantly dragging and roasting each other to show mutual love.

I will need to rewatch a third time for more details, but it's 5 am so I'm going to sleep now. I'm sorry if this make no sense, I'm literally falling asleep as I type, but I wanted to share these thoughts before forgetting what I wanted to say.
pastelspectre
stress mushroom

God I know they’ve never done a collab with him and Deppy are very awkward but I would explode if they did it with jacksepticeye. Two of my faves in one video (since I mean, cmon, dan and phil are basically one) together? Hell to the yes. I think you need four players though, right? So I think.. Jackaboy and maybe Ethan (crankgameplays) or Markiplier despite I don’t think they’ve hardly ever interacted besides small stuff and idk if they’ve even interacted with Ethan.

But uh, hilarious video omg. I laughed a lot at so much stuff in the video. I loved it. Will definitely rewatch.
:transheart:
autumnhearth
senpai

rainydays I also preferred the first Truth Bomb video to this one. It was aestheticalły more pleasing (outfits, colors, video quality and editing) and the personality balance was better in it.

I expected Sophie to be a bit quiet, but I really wish we had gotten more of PJ’s quirky personality. I understand he might be more reserved when he’s not leading a video and his game play strategy might have kept him a bit more tight lipped (unlike D&P who seemed to be announcing their choices at the beginning). The cardboard cutting internship negotiation was cute though.

Oh Phil, he definitely knew he wanted to be small enough to fit comfortably in orafices. My husband was sitting there wide eyed for most of it, bless him. So many kinks.

Though I definitely enjoyed it, as a video I found it a bit of a mess and didn’t enjoy the editing. My husband said Dan talked to much, and while that is probably true, I think Phil got plenty of story time in. Also I know D&P are the stars, but I would have preferred to have had Sophie and PJ next to each other. It would have felt more like a game with friends, than Dan and Phil hosting a game show.

Also since the driving thing is being discussed, PJ definitely has a car.