Dan & Phil Part 62: Cat Master and Boy-slave

Our two favourite full time internet nerds who never go outside!
parallel
phabergé
Pronouns: she/her

flarequake wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:48 amAlso yt has removed the offending caption.
I wonder if Phil reached out to them, haha. Glad it's been done, though.
greenergrass
stress mushroom

alittledizzy wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:30 am Dan totally jossed me and I'm gonna need to have a strongly worded conversation with him about it.

Lets not talk about how cherrybomb3 left a comment on my fic last night that just said "LOL". u lurking, :omgsomuch:?
haha suspicious... :bbb:
VengefulBlue
rainbow nerd
Pronouns: they/them

helloflyingjellyfish wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:38 am Basically, their "greatest fear" is written down on the middle cards (well at least in the first version which I have, I believe they're playing Nightmare III) So,,, nice??
ah, considering that (plus everyone's handwriting analysis) it definitely makes sense that dan would write 'continued existence'. i don't have tabinof so i didn't recognize their writing - just figured the messiest one would have been dan. i kind of love phil's answer tho, ngl
tyhane
delia smith

I found the video a bit boring which actually surprised me. I'm one of those people that would love to see dnp do all the "stupid youtube challenges" type videos so I thought it'd be right up my alley. I definitely liked it more than the AP video though. Is it bad that I love it when Phil loses at these things? Dan gets so teasing and fond when Phil loses and seems delighted in his suffering (see: him hyena laughing in Phil's cheese/milk taste test videos). Honestly I'd rather eat a cricket over those disgusting flavors of jellybeans Dan got so I feel like Phil still came out ahead lol.

I wonder if I'm just comparing this year's gamingmas to last year's too much. While there was still some duds, I seriously loved almost every video and I still rewatch a lot of them. So far from this year, I've only really loved Mario Kart, Truth Bombs, and Geometry Dash. The others have ranged from average to meh. We're on day 12 so I think it's a little late for me to tell myself it's just a "slow start". I'm not actively trying to compare them, and in fact I'm usually someone that tries to keep their expectations as low as humanly possible, but I still find myself doing it. And I know it's unrealistic to expect daily uploads (which are also made while they're busy with stuff like preparing for tour, I assume?) to all be knockouts. Logically I know all this, but I can't force myself to enjoy something that I don't. Nearly everyone else I've seen seems to be loving it, so... I think I'll just wallow in my corner of bitterness alone. :rofl:
whelpkeeper
sad dimple
Pronouns: they/their

helloflyingjellyfish wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:38 am Basically, their "greatest fear" is written down on the middle cards (well at least in the first version which I have, I believe they're playing Nightmare III) So,,, nice??
If so then Phil's answer is amazing, I love it so much :stan: - also Dan staying on brand, nice touch

Any chance any junior graphologists think there'd be any point to analyzing their handwriting? I've read that things like how you dot your i's and cross your t's reveals a lot about you, I always thought it'd be fun to try something like that but honestly I doubt that's actually accurate :lol:

Also, glad yt fixed the caption- still upset they did it at all though :sideeye:
The air soft as that of Seville in April,
and so fragrant that it was delicious to breathe it.
nerdysporks
crusty sponge
Pronouns: she/her or they/them

What was YouTube's caption on the insta post? I didn't see it before it got taken down.
alch
ar·tic·u·late

nerdysporks wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:27 am What was YouTube's caption on the insta post? I didn't see it before it got taken down.
I believe it was a picture of Dan and Phil with the caption "In a relationship ... with #YouTubeRewind"
rizzo
unduly facetious
unduly facetious

sonicgreen wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:58 am They all went back to Deppy's place for board games after the premiere, but who wrote what?
I'd like to point out the most underrated part of this tweet and that's the adorable Christmas decor on Dan and Phil's entertainment center. Complete with sparkly bird.

:festive:

Which reminds me... when will we get a photo of their friggin' tree?!
OhItsElliott
drama llama
Pronouns: He/him

rizzo wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:30 am
sonicgreen wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 1:58 am They all went back to Deppy's place for board games after the premiere, but who wrote what?
I'd like to point out the most underrated part of this tweet and that's the adorable Christmas decor on Dan and Phil's entertainment center. Complete with sparkly bird.

:festive:

Which reminds me... when will we get a photo of their friggin' tree?!
Yes, this!

Why have they not shown or talked about ANY decorations besides phil tweeting about ordering a tree and the gaming room? Don't think we've seen any xmas sweaters either? I mean, phil did make the wheel in today's video red, green and white so that's... something. Really need to up the christmas cheer boys!

I personally am still holding out hope for another festive ditl and will continue to until christmas day so maaaaybe they're trying to save it for that? But let's be real, the more likely scenario is that they're just lazy. Hopefully they'll start getting more festive soon and show us the tree! Which, by the way, I'm really hoping has the rave tree lights. I remember when phil said they accidentally threw out the rave tree he did remember the brand of lights on that tree with that rave like setting so here's hoping. :ribena: :lights:
hello9217
flower crown

I finally got off work and had time to watch the vid, i.e. procrastinating studying for my last final, and I really loved it. When I saw the thumbnail I rolled my eyes because like I just want actual games but it turned out better than I thought. They were cute and lovely and just a joy to watch as usual. I think the problem between this year and last year is that this year they did not plan ahead. They seem to be making a video or two the day before they came out. Last year they still had things with TATINOF happening so they planned videos ahead. It's takes a lot more editing to sync up gameplay with the other video of them talking whereas it's much easier to just take a quiz or do this type of video. And like previous posts have said they are self aware and don't really care what we think because we're still watching.
Also to add to the whole veggie Dan discussion...not only did he eat gelatin but I'm pretty sure the shoes he wore in the snow pic are leather. Like typically if you won't eat animals you don't wear them either, speaking as a vegetarian myself.
victorycafe
squish

alch wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:29 am
nerdysporks wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:27 am What was YouTube's caption on the insta post? I didn't see it before it got taken down.
I believe it was a picture of Dan and Phil with the caption "In a relationship ... with #YouTubeRewind"
Wow, what the hell? I missed it too but assumed that it had been something more along the lines of just using #Phan till I read this. In what universe would this be a good idea? Like, aside from it being a disrespectful thing to do, it's not even a clever joke or anything? Like without the Phan implication it makes no sense. Poor guys, having to deal with that from basically management at the company they work for (sort of).

Also I think this should probably go under a spoiler because it's pretty OT, just some musings on coming out / not coming out:
Sometimes I forget that people like the lovely, mature, perceptive (largely adult or late teen I think? though I don't want to generalize) people here don't necessarily make up the majority of the fanbase, and that a lot of their views probably come from more casual and younger viewers who don't know or care much about their relationship or sexuality. I was reminded today seeing that someone I follow on social media had bought her 13 year old daughter the advent calendar because she thinks they're hilarious and cute. My 15 year old half-sister likes a few of their videos too, mainly just because she likes gaming.

When I think about the possibility that they've kept a relationship secret for this long, sometimes I find it to be so at odds with the values and issues they (ok, mainly just Dan) talk about, the self-love and acceptance (Phil too for this part), etc. and I always find myself thinking, most of your audience is pretty sure you're together, why not just come out with it? But then I think about perhaps the average, majority viewer who doesn't care about their sexuality or relationship status at all, and I realize that for them to suddenly be "that gay couple" would probably just add an element to their more casual videos (gaming videos, AP videos and some of Dan's videos) that doesn't really fit, if that makes sense. This has probably been really obvious to everyone else, but it just kind of clicked for me; I always find myself thinking "oh come ON, who are you kidding, your viewers all know what's up, why make life harder on yourselves / be disingenuous" but a lot of their views probably come from people who don't know and don't care and don't look for signs of fondness like we do, etc.

It does make me wonder though whether they - I'm curious about Dan in particular - feel conflicted about this decision or are able to easily separate their work life from their personal life. I lean towards the latter, but wonder if it might feel like more of an issue for Dan going forward if he continues to get more personal in his videos. Maybe not though, and I hope not, honestly, because they should be able to feel comfortable sharing only what they want to share in their videos, and for that to include some personal things doesn't mean they're required to share everything.
pastelspectre
stress mushroom
Pronouns: he/him

The chopstick challenge was an adorable video. They’re such couple goals and I love the cute relationship vibe I get off them them, more than usual lately. I dunno why. Also they looked so good at the Star Wars premiere I am dead
:transheart:
relatablemood
pumpkin spice pumpkin cookie

Has anyone noticed the weirdish jumpcuts recently? At 12:43 in the chopstick challenge video where Phil was like "I thought I could -" and then it jumps to the next clip and at one part in the lunchbox video that I can't find but I think Dan was talking about being hungry.

Idk, it's like banter/conversation that feels oddly cut short so that it doesn't flow smoothly into the next clip.
i want dan's hair and phil's hips
captainspacecoat
stress mushroom

I loved the video, they came across as relaxed and their interactions seemed super natural. I loved hearing about their restaurant adventures and the fact that they have little ongoing games they invented together that they play when they're out for dinner :') I know it's not a "proper game" but I'm always here for authenticity and authenticity only, and I feel like this video delivered in that respect. 8.5/10.

(also omg @ their coordinating Star Wars premiere outfits, that's the best they've ever looked at an event like this. also thank you rizzo for pointing out the christmas decorations under dnp's tv, i didn't notice that and i am happy to know that they have decorated their upstairs living space :love2: )
relatablemood wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:55 am Has anyone noticed the weirdish jumpcuts recently? At 12:43 in the chopstick challenge video where Phil was like "I thought I could -" and then it jumps to the next clip and at one part in the lunchbox video that I can't find but I think Dan was talking about being hungry.

Idk, it's like banter/conversation that feels oddly cut short so that it doesn't flow smoothly into the next clip.
I noticed this too! There were definitely a few moments in this video where they were cut off mid-sentence, which isn't their usual editing style. Maybe a result of rushed editing due to the frequent uploads?
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

captainspacecoat wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:35 am
relatablemood wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 6:55 am Has anyone noticed the weirdish jumpcuts recently? At 12:43 in the chopstick challenge video where Phil was like "I thought I could -" and then it jumps to the next clip and at one part in the lunchbox video that I can't find but I think Dan was talking about being hungry.

I noticed this too! There were definitely a few moments in this video where they were cut off mid-sentence, which isn't their usual editing style. Maybe a result of rushed editing due to the frequent uploads?
I'm definitely gonna say it's due to frequent uploads. As much as I mock youtubers for having jobs where they only have to do a few hours of "work" and get the kind of financial returns they do, editing does still take time, and to do it well it takes more time. I'm guessing they filmed the lunch video then this one back to back, and then Phil had a couple days to edit alongside the IRL office party taking up one evening and Star Wars taking up another, plus they'd have had to also get in filming for whatever they post today.
saffarinda
truth bomb

victorycafe wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:20 am
Also I think this should probably go under a spoiler because it's pretty OT, just some musings on coming out / not coming out:
Sometimes I forget that people like the lovely, mature, perceptive (largely adult or late teen I think? though I don't want to generalize) people here don't necessarily make up the majority of the fanbase, and that a lot of their views probably come from more casual and younger viewers who don't know or care much about their relationship or sexuality. I was reminded today seeing that someone I follow on social media had bought her 13 year old daughter the advent calendar because she thinks they're hilarious and cute. My 15 year old half-sister likes a few of their videos too, mainly just because she likes gaming.

When I think about the possibility that they've kept a relationship secret for this long, sometimes I find it to be so at odds with the values and issues they (ok, mainly just Dan) talk about, the self-love and acceptance (Phil too for this part), etc. and I always find myself thinking, most of your audience is pretty sure you're together, why not just come out with it? But then I think about perhaps the average, majority viewer who doesn't care about their sexuality or relationship status at all, and I realize that for them to suddenly be "that gay couple" would probably just add an element to their more casual videos (gaming videos, AP videos and some of Dan's videos) that doesn't really fit, if that makes sense. This has probably been really obvious to everyone else, but it just kind of clicked for me; I always find myself thinking "oh come ON, who are you kidding, your viewers all know what's up, why make life harder on yourselves / be disingenuous" but a lot of their views probably come from people who don't know and don't care and don't look for signs of fondness like we do, etc.

It does make me wonder though whether they - I'm curious about Dan in particular - feel conflicted about this decision or are able to easily separate their work life from their personal life. I lean towards the latter, but wonder if it might feel like more of an issue for Dan going forward if he continues to get more personal in his videos. Maybe not though, and I hope not, honestly, because they should be able to feel comfortable sharing only what they want to share in their videos, and for that to include some personal things doesn't mean they're required to share everything.
Agree with this so much! I’d also like to note that I think it may partially be down to how they market their brand. Dan and Phil the funny friendship duo is a lot more relatable (and some might say “suitable” for younger audiences) whereas couple duo’s don’t really work that well. I mean, how many times have you seen couples co-hosting things together? People tend to assume couples will be too romantic wheras friendships have a better banter and play.

I also think they wouldn’t want people’s ideas regarding their content to change. If dnp came out as a couple, it doesn’t mean they’d suddenly be romantic within every single video. I don’t think they’re fake with their reactions, they really do joke around with one another in the way that they do in videos currently. I feel like people would assume their content would change/there would be romantic interactions. I honestly don’t think it would change that much.
25/04/2017 - #blessed
Secretstanner
truth bomb

saffarinda wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:23 pm
victorycafe wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:20 am
Sometimes I forget that people like the lovely, mature, perceptive (largely adult or late teen I think? though I don't want to generalize) people here don't necessarily make up the majority of the fanbase, and that a lot of their views probably come from more casual and younger viewers who don't know or care much about their relationship or sexuality. I was reminded today seeing that someone I follow on social media had bought her 13 year old idaughter the advent calendar because she thinks they're hilarious and cute. My 15 year old half-sister likes a few of their videos too, mainly just because she likes gaming.

Agree with this so much! I’d also like to note that I think it may partially be down to how they market their brand. Dan and Phil the funny friendship duo is a lot more relatable (and some might say “suitable” for younger audiences) whereas couple duo’s don’t really work that well. I mean, how many times have you seen couples co-hosting things together? People tend to assume couples will be too romantic wheras friendships have a better banter and play.

I also think they wouldn’t want people’s ideas regarding their content to change. If dnp came out as a couple, it doesn’t mean they’d suddenly be romantic within every single video. I don’t think they’re fake with their reactions, they really do joke around with one another in the way that they do in videos currently. I feel like people would assume their content would change/there would be romantic interactions. I honestly don’t think it would change that much.
Unrelated but I really would love a long let’s play today. I would like a dream daddy or a long sims after their past few videos. I liked their undertale series they did last gamingmas and think they could of used this gamingmas to bring dd to a end even just doing two more videos to at least bring it to a conclusion rather than just left it with no ending.

I put my response here to the coming out topic
[/quote] I agree people would expect them to do the type of videos other yt couples do like Zoe and Alfie or Shane and Ryland. Their not even a out couple and people want a chapstick challenge. If they confirmed they were a couple all they would be asked is to do every boyfriend related tags. Their content would no longer matter it would only be about their relationship (which for a lot of people it is now). People would expect them to kiss on camera and talk about personal things more which isn’t gonna happen. They don’t vlog their life, they keep that private and should be allowed to their video are for entertaining. They won’t start daily vlogging or film date nights. If one of them was having a off day everyone would jump to conclusions and say they had a fight or were having a hard time with their relationship. I mean this stuff happens already and it’s stressful. People would feel entitled to know everything about them. They (more phil then dan) are private people they arnt gonna use their personal relationship for views.

I don’t believe they are romanticly involved BUT I could see why if they WERE they would keep it a secret, It would have worked out for the past 8 years so.... why change now. I see the question when do you think they will come out everyday!! People saying do you think they will come out after tour etc. If people genuinely believe they are in a relationship can’t that be enough? Iv seen things written in 2013 saying I think they will come out soon 4 Year’s later nothing’s changed except their interactions seem more genuine. All in all I think the reason they would want to keep it a secret is from the people who believe they are in a relationship because they would accept more rather than the people who don’t care about it.
liola
rankussy

While waiting for the video I'm gonna pinch into this coming out discourse cause why not, I'm bored and my dinner isn't ready yet
everyone knows I think at one point they might come out, or at least make it so it's undeniable that they are a couple. It's a feeling that I have, but I also feel like it would take some kind of pressure off their shoulders - I don't imagine having to always be careful can be that easy, the times I had to hide a boyfriend for any kind of reason I ended up crumbling in a very short time.

But I'm also a straight girl with no idea what it feels like to be in the closet, even more so in a closet relationship with a huge fan base waiting with their breaths in their throats for every change. They have the fame and financial stability to be able to come out and,
Even if there was a negative reaction, still be able to not worry too much.

I think Dan especially want to be honest and authentic and I feel like the small ways they let us in this year is a way to prove that. Phil is way more private, that's true, but I think on some level he might want to be more relaxed too. I think that might be why he has no problem featuring Dan so heavily in videos especially considering this year they've filmed things that is usually done by couples.

In the end, none of know if and when they'll ever come out. We can all have our opinion and still never know for sure. It's like the schrodinger cat, a coming out might or might not be happening any time soon,
The chance is always there.

But I disagree that If they confirmed being a couple then the audience would JUST ask for couple stuff. There are couple channels whose content has nothing to do with their relationship, the first that come into mind is ASAPscience (and I like that they seemed to hit it off, it might be a good example for dnp of an out couple still keeping their content focused on what they want and not their relationship). I think the excitement would go down after the initial reaction, and yes they might get requests of PDA but they'd just refuse and keep their content going. It's not like most people aren't already 99% sure anyway, or are not already asking for pda. So I guess that might be a reason for the no-coming out, but it isn't a issue that cannot be overcome.

In the end though, we'll see. I think right now they're happier than they've ever been, and I dont know if it's because they're allowing themselves to be more honest or they're more honest bc they're happier. I just think they're way more comfortable than they've ever been, and I keep saying "there's no way they'd do that" and they keep surprising this year, so I'm not ever gonna say that they'll definitely DO THIS. I don't know. I think and hope they will, not now, not soon, but maybe one day. I'd they don't, that's fine too, as long as they're happy. I already have my feelings on it anyway
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
JustMe
living flop
Pronouns: She/her

Cute art Dan liked on tumblr featuring Phil's butt, cheese-Dan saying 'daddy fill up these holes' and a drawing about a fic which I wonder if he read..
~ I'll be bold as well as strong and use my head alongside my heart ~
pastelspectre
stress mushroom
Pronouns: he/him

JustMe wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:08 pm Cute art Dan liked on tumblr featuring Phil's butt, cheese-Dan saying 'daddy fill up these holes' and a drawing about a fic which I wonder if he read..
god the fact he liked the last two gives me such a warm feeling inside
:transheart:
hello9217
flower crown

So like when are getty images going to upload those HQ pics of Dan and Phil from the premier?
bee
phabergé

A bit more on Dan's talk @ Youtube On Stage: https://youngminds.org.uk/blogs/daniel- ... ube-event/
hello9217 wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:30 pm So like when are getty images going to upload those HQ pics of Dan and Phil from the premier?
Idk but I seem to remember that last time they posed and were dressed up and then there.. weren't any? Or was that another big event.
liola
rankussy

So i'm still bored and Felix's video about why he isn't in YTrewind showed up on my feed. I got curious.
Besides the fact I was surprised he wasn't more salty about not being in there and admitting he understands why he isn't in it, something caught my attention. He didn't show the ENTIRE video, guess that would strike a copyright strike lol but i noticed how he particularly avoided mentioning the boys? He stops to mention PhilipFranco, for example, he points out German, he gets to Dan and Phil's scene and then.. skip right before it. It made me wonder if maybe he was told so by the boys? Like, not to mention them? I'd fucking hope they stopped associating with him altogether and that's why, but i'm definitely not that positive.
Will probably never be over the BONCAS and the beauty of Phil Lester.

Official Moving Hill Mayor
alittledizzy
actual demon phannie
actual demon phannie

bee wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:48 pm A bit more on Dan's talk @ Youtube On Stage: https://youngminds.org.uk/blogs/daniel- ... ube-event/
hello9217 wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:30 pm So like when are getty images going to upload those HQ pics of Dan and Phil from the premier?
Idk but I seem to remember that last time they posed and were dressed up and then there.. weren't any? Or was that another big event.
Yeah there weren't any last year, I'm still bitter about it. They dressed up, walked the carpet, posed - but I guess they weren't names enough to make the cut of published photos.
hello9217
flower crown

alittledizzy wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:57 pm
bee wrote: Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:48 pm A bit more on Dan's talk @ Youtube On Stage: https://youngminds.org.uk/blogs/daniel- ... ube-event/
Yeah there weren't any last year, I'm still bitter about it. They dressed up, walked the carpet, posed - but I guess they weren't names enough to make the cut of published photos.
Oh that sucks. I saw one of Mark Ferris, who is a smaller youtuber, so I just assumed that all pics would eventually be released